• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Devin

• Thinking Of You

• Armani?

• Wicked

Thinking Of You
On 11/16/2022 at 4:01 PM, Thinking Of You said:

People cry about this every other year when their favorite artists aren’t nominated, but when Jazmine Sullivan and other artists were recognized, they praise the GRAMMYs :rip:

The truth is Summer will never be nominated as long as she continues to stay anti-social. All she does is perform for her fans a few times a year, and goes back inside. The Academy completely forgot about her album because she doesn’t do anything. She doesn’t put herself out there and she sure doesn’t make connections with people in the industry - which are the voters. People forget the GRAMMYs are about respect from within the industry 

@Devin @Arcadius

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClgmiYEu6lW/?igshid=MDM4ZDc5MmU=

What I say? I told you. :dies:

Her crying over the GRAMMYs would be the equivalent of a teenager crying not being nominated for Prom Queen or Homecoming Queen and all they do is go to school, don’t talk to nobody, and go home. Or a politician wanting to be elected and not doing the campaign work. 

Edited by Thinking Of You

27 minutes ago, Thinking Of You said:

@Devin @Arcadius

Her crying over the GRAMMYs would be the equivalent of a teenager crying not being nominated for Prom Queen or Homecoming Queen and all they do is go to school, don’t talk to nobody, and go home. Or a politician wanting to be elected and not doing the campaign work. 

I think her original feelings towards it was valid cause like any artist want they work to be recognizable on a platform like Grammys. Also she did have a solid R&B album that fit well in the categories.

BUT I’m also glad she realized shes not really into networking with those in the industry + still can be successful outside being noticed. :michael:

3 hours ago, Thinking Of You said:

@Devin @Arcadius

I mean it’s not entirely surprising. All these awards are essentially about politics and who is shaking hands with who.

Thinking Of You

I’d give my heart to this placeeeeeeeee

spacer.png

I’d give my whole soul and whatever it takes…never run away 

spacer.png

And I’d relive this just to see yourrr face again

spacer.png

I know that you’d do the sane

spacer.png

Spoiler

Rihanna doing a praise and worship song wasn’t on my 2022 card @Armani? @Devin

Thinking Of You
3 hours ago, Devin said:

I wanna make a good R&B Xmas playlist but I only know a handful of good songs. :rip:

Like new R&B or old school?

3 hours ago, Devin said:

I wanna make a good R&B Xmas playlist but I only know a handful of good songs. :rip:

This is mine

13 minutes ago, Thinking Of You said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Reveal hidden contents

:rip:

2 hours ago, Thinking Of You said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Reveal hidden contents

:deadbanana4:

1 hour ago, Thinking Of You said:

Like new R&B or old school?

Moreso old school but I’ll take a mixture. My main goal was to get all Black artists.

1 hour ago, Armani? said:

This is mine

:rip:

Oop added some of these! :mandown:

• 2 weeks later...

I really need for folks to stop making comparisons like this. DJ Khaled is a culture vulture among other things but is largely untalented.

The quoted tweet before he locked his account said "Kirk Franklin ain't nothing but a gospel DJ Khaled"... Bffr.

If you're unfamiliar with someone who has large standing or following in on part of the Black community just say that, or do some simple research :rip:

Edited by Wicked

Since y'all probably watch or heard of the popular black twitchers(ishowspeed, Kai cenat and crew) what do y'all think of the probably too old now, destiny(leftie streamer but probably now rightie) feud?

I hate the aforementioned black streamers btw, so I already have a bias against but I dislike destiny A LOT so I feel like I'm capable of not being interested in being on either side and judging both as the weak proponents of their positions that they are.

4 hours ago, RunUpDoneUp said:

Since y'all probably watch or heard of the popular black twitchers(ishowspeed, Kai cenat and crew) what do y'all think of the probably too old now, destiny(leftie streamer but probably now rightie) feud?

I hate the aforementioned black streamers btw, so I already have a bias against but I dislike destiny A LOT so I feel like I'm capable of not being interested in being on either side and judging both as the weak proponents of their positions that they are.

I follow politics on Youtube but I havent been exposed to Destiny much, mostly by association or in a debate

Why is Destiny fueding with them?

On 12/11/2022 at 12:20 AM, Wicked said:

I really need for folks to stop making comparisons like this. DJ Khaled is a culture vulture among other things but is largely untalented.

The quoted tweet before he locked his account said "Kirk Franklin ain't nothing but a gospel DJ Khaled"... Bffr.

If you're unfamiliar with someone who has large standing or following in on part of the Black community just say that, or do some simple research :rip:

The older I get the more I hate culture vultures.

esp when these be more respected than those who are Black :rip:

Thinking Of You
1 minute ago, Devin said:

Idk why but sometimes it irks me when YT people get into Black music. I’ma just leave it at that. :coffee2:

Please don't get me started on ATRL saying that Janet is forgotten. White Gen-Z aren't the validators for someone being 'relevant and remembered'. They get on my nerves with that.

Go on any HBCU campus right now and you're destined to see Janet and Poetic Justice t-shirts, hoodies, etc. on student's bodies or in their closet.

Thinking Of You

What ya'll using for moisturizer - to grow your hair? I'm going to rock a curly fro next Summer. 

5 minutes ago, Thinking Of You said:

Please don't get me started on ATRL saying that Janet is forgotten. White Gen-Z aren't the validators for someone being 'relevant and remembered'. They get on my nerves with that.

Go on any HBCU campus right now and you're destined to see Janet and Poetic Justice t-shirts, hoodies, etc. on student's bodies or in their closet.

!!!!

Like I have a laundry list of reasons. :deadbanana2:

If it ain’t disrespecting Black legends its nitpicking they catalog. Then you got those YTs who will listen to Black music expecting to find music thats digestable to they pastey green poop ass. 

6 minutes ago, Thinking Of You said:

What ya'll using for moisturizer - to grow your hair? I'm going to rock a curly fro next Summer. 

As I Am was one of the good ones when I had curly hair. Then again it depends on hair textures.

spacer.png

Thinking Of You
8 minutes ago, Devin said:

!!!!

If it ain’t disrespecting Black legends its nitpicking they catalog. Then you got those YTs who will listen to Black music expecting to find music thats digestable to they pastey green poop ass. 

:bibliahh:

They be having me weak with this. They hear an R&B song and say it’s boring, but then they’ll hear the same constructed song with synths for 13,000th time and they’ll praise it. 

2 minutes ago, Thinking Of You said:

:bibliahh:

They be having me weak with this. They hear an R&B song and say it’s boring, but then they’ll hear the same constructed song with synths for 13,000th time and they’ll praise it. 

recent example being SZA album :rip:

of all the better songs, them instantly clinging to the most pop sounding, Olivia Rodrigo-lite tracks and calling the rest mid bffr. :skull:

Maybe I take offense cause originally most rappers and R&B artists don’t make music for them to like. 

And the artists that generally fall into the trap of selling out/making music digestable for them … you have The Weeknd today. :deadbanana:

53 minutes ago, Devin said:

The older I get the more I hate culture vultures.

esp when these be more respected than those who are Black :rip:

I'm with you on this. I think that's why Teena Marie still has a following because she never rose above the Black artists at the time, if she did I think she'd be viewed in a different light. 

37 minutes ago, Devin said:

!!!!

I don't have an issue with people of other cultures listening to the music but I don't think they have the background knowledge to make an informed criticism of it. I think they forget this is minority music, from minority cultures. The influences and stylistic differences are because of historical and cultural differences. There's a reason R&B singers sing with "more seasoning" as opposed to your common pop artist, and it's historical. There's a reason Hip Hop uses a lot of samples, it's cultural. Jazz, Blues, etc,. All the same story. Reggae, Dancehall, Afrobeats, Reggaeton etc,. Same thing there. Black music from different parts of the world has a reason for sounding different and if you can't learn and respect that your opinion on it is useless to me.

People have said, on this very forum (on OldTRL) that acts like Aretha and co "sing too black" for their taste and that's why they prefer pop girls whose vocal styling is more palatable on average :rip:

this is why I cringe when people make stereotypes that Black people are not diverse music listeners, I'd argue that's the opposite. We've created majority of the most praised genres in America (Blues, Jazz, R&B, Hip Hop, Bluegrass, Techno, House, Rock n Roll etc,.) And we can and have listened to most music with an open mind 

39 minutes ago, Thinking Of You said:

I'll cosign As I Am and also say I like Mielle products. I only use a leave in and some mousse on my hair most days. I have 3c/4a hair though so it depends. My hair also isn't very dense. 

On 12/13/2022 at 4:23 AM, Thinking Of You said:

This is decent:

sunny-isle-jamaican-black-castor-oil-ori

I also use this:

african_pride_olive_miracle_moisturizer_

I'll be vegan 5 years in 7 months 

Time flies:redface:

I wonder when I'll start looking older. I'm out here still looking 16 to 18, can't even enter a bar or club without a side eye:rofl: 

Edited by Armani?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.