Avatar: The Way of Water | Billions: 2 | Oscar Noms: 4 | Best Picture Noms: 1

Butters

12 minutes ago, GipJo said:

What holiday, China doesn't celebrate Christmas officially. Also this film is very fan driven, fans of movie technology and Cameron. Besides, Avatar 2's pre-sale are horrible in third-tier cities and four-tier cities, small cities are the backbone of great box office, now Avatar 2 lacks that in that regard. Of course the WOM could turn it around, but that doesn't normally translate during opening weekend. The X factor you haven't consider is covid, yes it's not a thing in western countries now, but in China covid is still an very impactful factor.  There already are cities where medical systems are overwhelmed by covid cases and it has only been one week since the restrictions were eased. We don't know how serious this issue might become.

Presales are pacing faster than your comps though. In real time. It's already caught up to Fast and Furious. This is 3 hours ago. 

This isn't going to track like a traditional fan driven film because it's primarily not. While it does have its hardcore fans, Avatar is about as 4 quadrant as it gets. It's attracts every demographic, especially the one that makes blockbusters into monster blockbusters: families and casuals who buy tickets the day of. 

JW3 is also a rough comparison considering the much harsher restrictions and smaller potential audience at the time. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BNF91

• mystery

• X~MoviePoP

• Donquizote

I think underestimating it would be foolish, just as people underestimated Titanic and the first movie. But we'll see. If audience reception is "meh" I think it could falter out into January. Most of Titanic and Avatar's respective grosses happened in January.

Never doubt James Cameron.

I'm here for Zoe Saldaña's Avatar smashing. :gaycat1:

But I'm also here for James Cameron's Avatar underperfoming or flopping. Not gonna lie, that would be kinda iconic. :redface:

Edited by Roberto

This movie looks so bland and uninspired. Nothing new about it to get me excited.  It’ll be lucky to make Pixar’s TURNING RED opening numbers. 

11 minutes ago, manwhore said:

This movie looks so bland and uninspired. Nothing new about it to get me excited.  It’ll be lucky to make Pixar’s TURNING RED opening numbers. 

I have to agree. 

Zoe Saldana on the verge of having yet another $2B grossing movie under her name I KNOW THAT’S RIGHT

tZKut9w.gif

2 hours ago, Cameltoe Chariot said:

I have yet to meet a single person in real life that gives a **** about Avatar lol

then you should leave your house more often :gaycat1:

OT: everyone around me is super hyped for this and I can't wait to see it already

Once again ATRL is out of touch with what the GP want.

This will definitely smash and make at least 1.5B at box office. 

25 minutes ago, Gossip_Boy said:

Zoe Saldana on the verge of having yet another $2B grossing movie under her name I KNOW THAT’S RIGHT

tZKut9w.gif

This this this 

Did you guys buy your tickets for Dolby 3D?

I was debating if I should even bother watching it in 2D or the way it was intended.

1 hour ago, Gossip_Boy said:

tZKut9w.gif

The fact that she plays a major role in all of them. #QueenTingz

tZKut9w.gif

"She has appeared in three of the five highest-grossing films of all time (Avatar, Avengers: Infinity War, and Avengers: Endgame), a feat not achieved by any other performer. Her films have grossed more than $11 billion worldwide, and she is the second-highest-grossing film actress of all time as of 2019."

tZKut9w.gif

Why was my Avatar box office thread closed? :what: The movie is already breaking presale records and will be released in some international markets 3 days early. 

But of course they would never close a thread made just to drag Taylor, Xtina, etc. :rip:

I can’t believe this movie is already coming out next week. I’ve been waiting for 13 years :deadbanana:

Ill prob going with my sister. But she said she wasn’t a fan of the first movie, so I might go solo.

It feels surreal that this movie is actually coming out in less than a week. The wait for it was so long. 

Just spent over $100 to buy 4 IMAX 3D tickets for next Friday. Had to get tickets at a more remote location because the main theatres in town were mostly sold out. Box office hit incoming :clap3:

Just spent over $100 to buy 4 IMAX 3D tickets for next Friday. Had to get tickets at a more remote location because the main theatres in town were mostly sold out. Box office hit incoming :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.