Avatar: The Way of Water | Billions: 2 | Oscar Noms: 4 | Best Picture Noms: 1

Butters

3 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Peter Bradshaw of The guardian gave 3/5 stars to the first and he tweeted the sequel is worst. Let's see. I'm not trusting anymore of these first early reactions. 

https://twitter.com/PeterBradshaw1/status/1600260015754878976?s=20&t=6Bweruqo8HAcCTf0ccismA

I said consensus, not what this guy says. But yeah you’re right that early reactions are always more positive.

Still the consensus remains. Better than the original in every regard, including story and characters. We’ll see.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BNF91

• mystery

• X~MoviePoP

• Donquizote

If Grace Randolph liked it, it will probably flop lmao.

Not really though, I doubt it will flop but I also doubt it will get anywhere close to the first one in terms of grossing.

5 hours ago, Itsjustalamb said:

Were you even in the theater?

I was.  I just don’t really pay attention to the music. 

Edited by newuser

Ugh ofc IMAX for this movie is just so in demand, It’s so hard to snatch a ticket. For now I have one for Dec 20 and it starts at 8 am :skull: tragic

Edited by enchanted0

Considering this is not a huge franchise with a crazy following, I really find it hard to believe that it will open that hight? Judging by the reviews, I can see the movie having strong legs and reaching 600M domestic, but an opening close to 200M? That'd be crazy, honestly.

The fact that this is now expected to hit 1.8B or even 2B is astonishing when a month ago everyone was sure it would flop.

A cumulative U S box office of $662 - $861 million. Worldwide will likely be $1.8 - $2.2 billion.

Good luck with that one :toofunny3:

Some of the takes across the internet I'm seeing even THIS close to release have me just baffled. Like some of you live under a rock.

This is going to be gigantic.  

1 minute ago, BNF91 said:

Some of the takes across the internet I'm seeing even THIS close to release have me just baffled. Like some of you live under a rock.

This is going to be gigantic.  

Mte.

Like people really think online discourse translates to real life. This is obviously going to be the movie event of the year

China box office for Avatar 2:

Early screening and first day pre-sale: 6.44 million (6 days before opening)

Comparison:

Jurassic World 3: 4 million (total of 152 million)

F&F 9: 15.8 million (total of 200 million)

Avengers End Game: 36.2 million (total of 610 million)

Cameltoe Chariot

I have yet to meet a single person in real life that gives a **** about Avatar lol

3 minutes ago, BNF91 said:

200M+ opening weekend in China alone I think. 

Unlikely judging by the pre-sale numbers. They just ease the covid restrictions, and massive positive cases are spreading across the country. Many will be reluctant to go to theaters right now, and their theaters have only reopened about 60%.

Sigourney Weaver's Avatar coming to save theaters :jonny3:

4 minutes ago, GipJo said:

Unlikely judging by the pre-sale numbers. They just ease the covid restrictions, and massive positive cases are spreading across the country. Many will be reluctant to go to theaters right now, and their theaters have only reopened about 60%.

You'll be surprised then. Avatar 2's presales spread throughout the weekend are incredibly backloaded, with more tickets sold on Sunday and Saturday than Friday. The holidays are also a massive factor. It's difficult to directly compare the presales of this film to heavily fan-driven Summer releases. 

Also by release, 70% of theatres will be open as rising through the holidays. 

1 hour ago, X~MoviePoP said:

Itll make 550 opening weekend worldwide. Bookmark me

But will it have legs 

7 minutes ago, BNF91 said:

You'll be surprised then. Avatar 2's presales spread throughout the weekend are incredibly backloaded, with more tickets sold on Sunday and Saturday than Friday. The holidays are also a massive factor. It's difficult to directly compare the presales of this film to heavily fan-driven Summer releases. 

What holiday, China doesn't celebrate Christmas officially. Also this film is very fan driven, fans of movie technology and Cameron. Besides, Avatar 2's pre-sale are horrible in third-tier cities and four-tier cities, small cities are the backbone of great box office, now Avatar 2 lacks that in that regard. Of course the WOM could turn it around, but that doesn't normally translate during opening weekend. The X factor you haven't consider is covid, yes it's not a thing in western countries now, but in China covid is still an very impactful factor.  There already are cities where medical systems are overwhelmed by covid cases and it has only been one week since the restrictions were eased. We don't know how serious this issue might become.

It might not beat the 1st one but it'll cross 2b. there's no big movie coming so it'll stay in theater for quite a long time

pre-sale and opening weekend is not everything, it's not like endgame when people rush to see it 1st week

Already bought my tickets for Thursday!!! Cannot WAIT

I couldn’t see the first in theatres but I’m DRAGGING my boyfriend to this idc idc 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.