Horror Movies | 2023 HORROR RATE NOW! (pg. 232)

Outlaws

Yeah, Smell was not good but it will inevitably get many sequels seeing as audiences loved this.

Not surprised, American audiences love trash like the Conjuring franchise. Us Art girls took a few L’s with that one

sG0sS1x.gif

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reverse Warholian

• ChapelHooker

• The Witch

• genetic fail

2 hours ago, Reverse Warholian said:

Yeah Fear2k (the most successful rate this base has witnessed!)

That's debatable

sG0sS1x.gif

5 hours ago, Ampersand13 said:

I don't think it was a commentary on the adult film industry not being seen as art, especially considering how problematic and misogonistic it is. If it were to make that point it would be very misguided. Even today the vast majority of that industry is built on objectification and mistreatment of sex workers. 

As for women's autonomy over their bodies, that's less of a commentary and more of a vehicle in my opinion. It wasn't adding any nuance to the topic nor was it contextualizing it in a broader conversation. If anything it fell for some major pitfalls of the male gaze :rip: Though it's been a minute since I've seen it, so I'd be curious know if my read on the film changes!

As for the older generation, that was my biggest issue with the film. Because it doesn't do anything to combat the notion that older people shouldn't still be sexual beings. It went out of its way to depict a sex scene without any beauty or care. The film has no issue objectifying its younger cast (and it does quite frequently), however does not extend the same courtesy to its older characters. It had the opportunity to make a strong choice and, in my opinion, completely missed it. If anything it reinforced the problematic notion regarding older people and sex. 

These were the major thoughts I had upon leaving the theater. And I want to reiterate, I did enjoy the film! However, I don't think it was as tactful or original as some give it credit for.

Cleared. It was a fine slasher and that's it! I fear this is why the girls can't get with Men in here. They want a them.us article in their horror and can't accept the visual feast for the eyes they're given!

4 hours ago, Reverse Warholian said:

^

Speaking of this, I'm interested to see where The InN/Acents lands on the 2022 rate

sG0sS1x.gif

4 hours ago, Reverse Warholian said:

Yeah Fear2k (the most successful rate this base has witnessed! @Khamis) wrapped over a year ago ? Makes sense to shake things up again with a new rate or two given the traffic we've been experiencing lately. The demand is there!! @ChapelHooker

@SitarHero post the Letterboxd list! 

Poor the Vicennium rate. But that was a classic, that was a classic https://letterboxd.com/ropeskidthekid/list/fear2k-atrls-2000s-horror-retrospective/

ok sooo...watched Smile & it's short prequel "Laura Hasn't Slept", and got mixed to negative feelings about it.

i just HATE when a film thinks is smarter than what it reall is. so yeah...no.

the jumpscares were WAY too many and predictable and it relied 80% on them.

the acting was horrendous. only good actor was the girl from the prequel/first scene.

and in general, let's just say this, if you make a movie about mental health & suicide you don't really have to end it on a negative note just for the sake of doing it. lol.

people can be triggered from that smh maybe? i even read that he was really proud of the ending like it was something game-changing and i'm like...sure jan.

anyways, a mediocre mess. was kinda scary at times and unsettling but that is that.

tried too hard to apply elevated horror filters to a movie that's basically an early 00s mess, at best.

x

3 hours ago, BeachRat said:

ok sooo...watched Smile & it's short prequel "Laura Hasn't Slept", and got mixed to negative feelings about it.

i just HATE when a film thinks is smarter than what it reall is. so yeah...no.

the jumpscares were WAY too many and predictable and it relied 80% on them.

the acting was horrendous. only good actor was the girl from the prequel/first scene.

and in general, let's just say this, if you make a movie about mental health & suicide you don't really have to end it on a negative note just for the sake of doing it. lol.

people can be triggered from that smh maybe? i even read that he was really proud of the ending like it was something game-changing and i'm like...sure jan.

anyways, a mediocre mess. was kinda scary at times and unsettling but that is that.

tried too hard to apply elevated horror filters to a movie that's basically an early 00s mess, at best.

x

Wait, Smile has a prequel?

1 hour ago, mellenthin said:

Wait, Smile has a prequel?

it's a short from the director featuring the actress from the first scene, kinda spooky as well: 

5 minutes ago, BeachRat said:

it's a short from the director featuring the actress from the first scene, kinda spooky as well: 

I had no idea! Cool. Might check it out later tonight!

genetic fail

To refer to your first post, I don't necessarily think Smile is a GREAT movie. However, the scares - two of them, in particular - were some of the most creative ones I've seen. They actually made an unfazed horror fanatic like myself JUMP and scream out loud (which honestly never happens). Also the sound design was very impressive!

1 hour ago, mellenthin said:

I had no idea! Cool. Might check it out later tonight!

genetic fail

To refer to your first post, I don't necessarily think Smile is a GREAT movie. However, the scares - two of them, in particular - were some of the most creative ones I've seen. They actually made an unfazed horror fanatic like myself JUMP and scream out loud (which honestly never happens). Also the sound design was very impressive!

i only liked the walking out of the house/upside down head on car thing. i don't know, in general maybe i was really upset with the whole theme and thought it was kind of poor to use mental health and anxiety/trauma as the tool they'd toy with and end it on such a negative note. i mean stranger things did pretty much the same thing on season 4 but it was so much more tactful, while theirs was just tacky. like...it felt cheap emotionally tbh, and it comes in contrast with their elevated horror -poor- effort.

apart from that, the smile monster and the mother from barbarian could hang together. i can see that happening and them becoming hag besties.

1 hour ago, BeachRat said:

i only liked the walking out of the house/upside down head on car thing. i don't know, in general maybe i was really upset with the whole theme and thought it was kind of poor to use mental health and anxiety/trauma as the tool they'd toy with and end it on such a negative note. i mean stranger things did pretty much the same thing on season 4 but it was so much more tactful, while theirs was just tacky. like...it felt cheap emotionally tbh, and it comes in contrast with their elevated horror -poor- effort.

apart from that, the smile monster and the mother from barbarian could hang together. i can see that happening and them becoming hag besties.

Freddy vs. Jason tease 

sG0sS1x.gif

On 11/27/2022 at 11:31 AM, ChapelHooker said:

announcement coming tomorrow :fan:

sG0sS1x.gif

17 hours ago, BeachRat said:

I kind of agree with this. Bleak endings can actually be impactful when done properly. Where it actually stays with you for a while after the movie is over. (Edens Lake comes to mind) but this… I was just like “umm… well that sucks” Felt unneeded in this particular film.

I liked the movie but mostly bc it felt like a classic 00s horror film which I feel are missing these days. It took itself a bit too serious tho which those movies… typically didnt 

Edited by Khamis

3 hours ago, Khamis said:

I kind of agree with this. Bleak endings can actually be impactful when done properly. Where it actually stays with you for a while after the movie is over. (Edens Lake comes to mind) but this… I was just like “umm… well that sucks” Felt unneeded in this particular film.

I liked the movie but mostly bc it felt like a classic 00s horror film which I feel are missing these days. It took itself a bit too serious tho which those movies… typically didnt 

PERIODDD

someone post some stuff so I can put the rate OP on a new page :gaycat1:

the original Smile short is honestly amazing and Caitlin Stasey was one of the positives about both the short and the feature length :gaycat2:

19 hours ago, Vulnicura said:

I started watching Speak No Evil last night and couldn't finish because it was so uncomfortable :deadbanana2:

most upsetting ending since Saint Maud tbh

Lemme promote a local horror movie that’s giving Censor vibes

28 minutes ago, ChapelHooker said:

Halloween Ends is brilliant

sG0sS1x.gif

30 minutes ago, ChapelHooker said:

Scream is still the best horror movie of the year

sG0sS1x.gif

wammJsL.png

Hello and welcome.

To celebrate this rather special year for horror and the many gems it has brought our community, I would love to

invite you to a retrospective rate. Together, we will take a look at the unique, at the weak and determine which 2022 horror movie is

worthy of the title of ATRL's Favorite Horror Movie of the Year!

The Rules Are Simple…

— Rank at least 20 and up to 30 of your favorite horror films released this year

— Use the provided Letterboxd list as help and inspiration but feel free to add whatever movies you enjoyed

— Optionally, you may also rank your 5 least favorite horror movies of the year (from worst to best)

— Send me your ranking via PM until January 23

— You are encouraged to leave comments, mini reviews and thoughts about the movies on your list!

— I will reveal the results starting February 1

Have fun and keep it spooky!

v2B5YYi.png

Horrible Mentions

Death List

Bubbling in Hell

40. Who Invited Them

39. Goodnight Mommy

38. Halloween Ends

37. Skinamarink

36. Texas Chainsaw Massacre

35. V/HS/99

34. Crimes of the Future

33. Incantation

32. Prey

31. The Sadness

30. The Invitation

29. Kimi

28. You Won't Be Alone

27. Hatching

26. Soft & Quiet

25. Men

24. Sissy

23. Fall

22. The Innocents

21. Piggy

20. No Exit

19. Deadstream

18. Resurrection

17. Hellraiser

16. Significant Other

15. Bones and All

14. Terrifier 2

13. Speak No Evil

12. Orphan: First Kill

11. The Black Phone

10. Scream

9. Watcher

8. Fresh

Result Letterboxd List

4S24CQk.png

@FunCoric @Reverse Warholian @mokitsu @Walk_Away21 @Kevin2803 @Lord Gaga @hypnodemiluv

@Euterpe @Companion @Desire @popmusicisdead @Roman Holiday @rooby.booby

@antoine_ @The Witch @SitarHero @genetic fail @Jamie£er @Delirious

@kweenofxanax @Roberto @mellenthin @DEGUOM @Jay L @Bimbo @enchanted0

@SmashingMiley @kandicha @Bhabylon @Johnny Cash

Edited by ChapelHooker

30 minutes ago, ChapelHooker said:

most upsetting ending since Saint Maud tbh

I managed to finish it. Yeah it was pretty depressing!

I think my next watch will be Girl Next Door. Has anyone seen?

sG0sS1x.gif

Hello! The 2022 ATRL Horror Movie Rate has officially launched :clap: Would be thrilled to have you participate :heart:

I'm definitely participating. I'm excited to watch Bones and All and The Menu out of the ones that are left this year but I also need to catch up with other smaller films like Nocebo, The Invitation and Hatching.

#TeamPearl :gaycat2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.