• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• feelslikeadream

• Magickarp

• Rence

• Katamari

• ATRL Moderator

Speaking of children, I wonder if they will ever explain why the "birth" age is 10 years for flame clock stuff. (At least, I think it is.) Like people basically live from 10-20, then have their homecoming, right? But if they want efficient soldiers, why not do like 15-25? :huh: I feel like 10 is too young. (Also, wouldn't they be going through puberty? Maybe they gave them a lobotomy to prevent that, cause it's sounds a mess otherwise :skull: Might explain why some characters are so dull though.)

Edited by feelslikeadream

1 hour ago, justin. said:

I know I’m not reading some of these comments about a 15 year old protagonist… :biblio:

Exacly, but they are also convinced he is a good character so you know something is up with them :biblio:

3 hours ago, feelslikeadream said:

Well as for your first point, I'm gonna pass on that one. Fiora was my least favorite until Sena came along and dethroned her :fan: But Fiora will at least get a cute 1 instead of 0 now. Congrats!

But I agree completely with the second! I loved the first Hyrule Warriors, but AOC was so repetitive and dull that I gave up on the series and haven't even played Three Hopes yet despite playing all four routes on Three Houses and putting more hours into it than pretty much every game other than XC :deadbanana: I guess I might still get it if it's super cheap one day, but knowing Nintendo, I don't see it dropping cheap enough.

Umm :biblio: Why is this post full of lies?

Morag is not equivalent to someone boring like Noah or Sena. You may recall that she and Brighid begin the game as potential enemies, with Morag plotting to draw Rex and Pyra out by threatening Nia's life, which is already a move more interesting and calculated than the dull girlies like Sena would ever do. She also has an interesting backstory: raised for the throne, but now in the special inquisitor role while a ~10-year-old boy gets to rule, which makes the audience feel for her as a woman (and lesbian) living in a patriarchal world. She's also not serious/calm all the time; she cracks plenty of jokes that reveal a humorous side (typically through sarcasm). And the game grants her a ~big moment~ where we see her character change since she is very formal and unemotional most of the game, but then breaks down after Niall's sacrifice. Furthermore, remember that in the final moments of the game, when Rex is upset about Pneuma's decision re: the World Tree, it is Morag who comforts him and shows her kind, sympathetic side. Now, she may not be as complex as some of the series' best characters, but she still has layers and a character arc. So far, that can not be said for every cast member of XC3 (through Ch. 5 at least).

And I won't go into detail for it, but Rex has a JOURNEY, grows tremendously from the start to the end of the game, and has a fully-layered personality. Noah is monotone so far. We'll see if he changes, but Rex is EASILY the better protagonist so far.

I can also describe any characters in XC3 in the same fashion and make them sound just that deep, her having some defining traits (THANK GOD, she's a character in a video game after all) doesn't mean she has a good personality. I really do like Morag (her design alone is stan worthy) but she's extremely bland, though I agree that her sarcastic jokes, kinda like Robin in One Piece, help her to stand out at times. However, Bridghid is even worse, she is literally so boring. My sis kept a book to record her past lives across centuries but she still couldn't manage to save some kind of personality :deadbanana2:

Rex doesn't go through any journey and I won't let anybody tell me the opposite, he whines from the beginning to the end (if he had really grown like some of you said he wouldn't have thrown one last tantrum during that bridge scene). His stupid ass is responsible for Vandham's death, then he doesn't learn from his mistake AGAIN and he is responsable for Pyra getting captured, then he has the NERVE to throw a tantrum and wants to give up :deadbanana2: He's just awful and his design & VA make him even worse. If by layered personality you mean whining, being immature and horny and reciting the salvager code like a dumbass instead of forming proper sentences, then we agree. 

After all, it's just a question of opinion, but I would much rather have a calm/shy protagonist like Noah and Shulk than an abomination like Rex. It's a shame that Adam was just in the DLC because he had tons of potential for a great main character, he was serious but he still had a funny side.

Edited by D.Va

2 hours ago, justin. said:

I know I’m not reading some of these comments about a 15 year old protagonist… :biblio:

2 hours ago, thatsmydemi said:

Isn't Rex a CHILD? :deadbanana4:

1 hour ago, Attitude said:

Ah yes, now I remember why I never did that :deadbanana4:

Thanks for the reminder 

1 hour ago, D.Va said:

Exacly, but they are also convinced he is a good character so you know something is up with them :biblio:

I can also describe any characters in XC3 in the same fashion and make them sound just that deep, her having some defining traits (THANK GOD, she's a character in a video game after all) doesn't mean she has a good personality. I really do like Morag (her design alone is stan worthy) but she's extremely bland, though I agree that her sarcastic jokes, kinda like Robin in One Piece, help her to stand out at times. However, Bridghid is even worse, she is literally so boring. My sis kept a book to record her past lives across centuries but she still couldn't manage to save some kind of personality :deadbanana2:

Rex doesn't go through any journey and I won't let anybody tell me the opposite, he whines from the beginning to the end (if he had really grown like some of you said he wouldn't have thrown one last tantrum during that bridge scene). His stupid ass is responsible for Vandham's death, then he doesn't learn from his mistake AGAIN and he is responsable for Pyra getting captured, then he has the NERVE to throw a tantrum and wants to give up :deadbanana2: He's just awful and his design & VA make him even worse. If by layered personality you mean whining, being immature and horny and reciting the salvager code like a dumbass instead of forming proper sentences, then we agree. 

After all, it's just a question of opinion, but I would much rather have a calm/shy protagonist like Noah and Shulk than an abomination like Rex. It's a shame that Adam was just in the DLC because he had tons of potential for a great main character, he was serious but he still had a funny side.

Lash that annoying, whiny, poorly voice-acted character!! 

• ATRL Moderator

Ghondor is such a ***** :bibliahh: I wish she took Sena's spot in the main cast :jonnycat:

2 hours ago, D.Va said:

After all, it's just a question of opinion, but I would much rather have a calm/shy protagonist like Noah and Shulk than an abomination like Rex.

Well I guess this is what it all boils down to, huh? :cm: I would rather have a boisterous, funny protagonist, even if they're a 15-year-old who is pretty immature at times and a little moody/horny at others (as teenagers are). Rex feels like a real person to me, someone who was written with a character arc in mind. So far, Noah is calm and shy to such an extent that it's a detriment the the game's story, in my opinion. He barely reacts to what's happening around him. He hasn't changed at all over 60 hours. He fails to have any kind of interesting relationships because he just passively likes all the good guys and doesn't like the bad guys. There's no range in anything. And apparently some people like that in a video game protagonist, but I do not.

Rex antis can’t be trusted I fear :jonny4:

I think Noah vs Rex kind of boils down to which kind of personality you prefer

as long as we can all agree that both >>>>>>>>>> the cardboard cutout of a personality that is shulk

-

The end of chapter 5 to beginning of chapter 6 stretch has to be one of my favorite moments in gaming ever :jonny5:Mio has to be by far the best character in the entire xeno series

Just now, lovecatt said:

I think Noah vs Rex kind of boils down to which kind of personality you prefer

as long as we can all agree that both >>>>>>>>>> the cardboard cutout of a personality that is shulk

-

The end of chapter 5 to beginning of chapter 6 stretch has to be one of my favorite moments in gaming ever :jonny5:Mio has to be by far the best character in the entire xeno series

Of course. Personally I love adore both Noah and are for completely different reasons. 

I like Shulk but his entire character was carried by the amazing VA :giraffe: 

Ok Im reading this thread in the NINTENDO thread to catch up with Nintendo news and everyone is acting like this is the xenoblade thread. I think? Not clear since everyone is talking about strange characters and no one is mentioning any kind of news or updates so Im guessing...nothing has happened? 

• ATRL Moderator
2 minutes ago, Antonini said:

Ok Im reading this thread in the NINTENDO thread to catch up with Nintendo news and everyone is acting like this is the xenoblade thread. I think? Not clear since everyone is talking about strange characters and no one is mentioning any kind of news or updates so Im guessing...nothing has happened? 

:ahh: XC3 came out just over a week ago and nothing else has happened with Nintendo in the last 9 days (other than new Mario Kart tracks, which were discussed for a bit). What do you expect?

This is what happens when Xeno- becomes a main Nintendo girl :alexz2:

25 minutes ago, Antonini said:

And XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 3 is the latest NINTENDO flagship release. Hope that clears up any confusion! 

rex my beloved :fishing:

4-6 weeks until BOTW2 :jonny5:

4 hours ago, lovecatt said:

The end of chapter 5 to beginning of chapter 6 stretch has to be one of my favorite moments in gaming ever :jonny5:

nnnnn Reddit stans that part too, but personally, that was when the game jumped the shark for me :toofunny3:

specifically when that City girl backstabbed them, and then committed suicide :juanny: it was so badly written, & forced to me. 
& when Ghondor said that the "What about the other thousands of lives" thing was just made up cuz, muh prophecy :clown: the way i thought they were finally giving the "good guys" some depth, only to write it off in one throwaway line :clown:

trash writing, felt like some fan fiction telenovela :pukey: :pukey: :pukey:

I just got to chapter 5.

This game went OFF in the tail end of chapter 4, IMO. (spoilers ahead, beware!)

Spoiler

Consul D’s face reveal was such an “oh no he’s hot!” moment omg :WAP: and the twist about how he gets the form you fight him in at the beginning of the game, I about screamed when I realized!

I thought that was going to be the big fight for the end of the chapter and it took so many tries for me to beat him. After that I switched up my party to a super sub-optimal build and unknowingly ran straight into the ACTUAL final boss of the chapter, and when I tell you I was expecting precisely NONE of what happened from that point forward… :deadbanana2: Than god I got lucky and that fight was way easier than the prior Moebius fight. I have so many questions, though.

Chapter 5 so far is perfect - all the stuff to explore yet and I’m already 70 hours in, this thing is gonna blast right past a hundred hours omg :jonny2:

Seriously challenging BOTW for my favorite of all time at this point, which I absolutely never expected 

6 hours ago, feelslikeadream said:

Ghondor is such a ***** :bibliahh: I wish she took Sena's spot in the main cast :jonnycat:

Okay now we can agree on that, she's such a kii and her voice actress is so bad that she becomes good :deadbanana2: What a fun character 

Ghondor is iconic. They had been doing everything to avoid proper cursing up to that point, so I screamed at her EYE’M BACK BITCHUZ. :deadbanana2:

I’m not sure how I feel about the story. I was complaining about the story being too plain, but I think the reach at the end of 5/beginning of chapter 6 really went overboard. It doesn’t help that it’s terribly explained and I feel there are at least a couple of plot holes as a result, but maybe those get addressed later. Also, they make it so obvious who certain villains are, I saw this exact plot coming from a mile away, so I think they should have revealed it much earlier.

Edited by touchofmyhand

The way Mio is growing on me after chapter 4. She's making me CRY. :soda:

Also, discussing sales, XC3 has already sold 21k units in Spain. For comparison, XC2 sold 19k in 4 months. :jonny5:

A smash :jonny5:

18 hours ago, D.Va said:

Exactly. XC2 gaslighted some of y'all into believing "personality" is doing the most grotesque things in a shonen quirky way. XC3 cast is such a breath of fresh air after Rex's annoying ass, Tora's pervy ass, Ahkos' annoying theatrical ass, the villain nopons' stupid asses and so on. To be honest, I'm really confused about the XC2 cast praises because Morag, Bridghid, Gramps, Pyra and Dromarch literally all had the same bland personality that y'all seem to dislike about the XC3 cast. The only good characters in XC2 were Mythra (tho her tsundere act was unbearable at times), Zeke, Pandora, Nia and Poppi. Mikhail was also a very good character after getting to know more of his past with Torna.

Let’s not forget that the game spends a substantial amount on Malos, Jin and even Amalthus, which are considered some of the best villains in all of gaming, especially the former two. XC3 barely does that for its protagonists, let alone its villains. The villains in 3 are so uninteresting that most of them are relegated to side quest duty.. :gaycat6:

I was waiting till y'all finished, but since some are already dragging the villains & characters... E0D1EAu.png

Villains in XC3 are some of the worst i've seen. Dr Doofenshmirtz is better written :toofunny3: Literally 0 depth, explain their evil plan in extreme detail in front of u, & act cartoonishly evil for no good reason. I was tolerating it for the earlier chapters cuz i thought there would be a good reason later on, but :toofunny3: CUH-RINGE.

And whenever i have to hear Noah give the most uninspired Talk-No-Jutsu :toofunny3: CUH-RINGE [2] At least XC2 never took itself seriously so I could always look past the dumb moments; but XC3 tries so hard to be DEEP, & just comes across like an 8 year old using big words. 

Every plot twist is the same, u could predict everything :deadbanana2: Every villain serves this, in terms of stupidity & dramatics

soap-opera-india.gif

I could go deeper on the plot, but spoilers. Anyways XC2 SUPREMACY.

xenoblade-xenoblade2.gifxenoblade-xenoblade-chronicles2.gif

Random thought but they should add tabletennis to Switch Sports. Or is that too "quick" for the system/controllers? 

3 hours ago, touchofmyhand said:

Let’s not forget that the game spends a substantial amount on Malos, Jin and even Amalthus, which are considered some of the best villains in all of gaming, especially the former two.

I have literally never heard this take before in my life :deadbanana2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.