RuPaul's Drag Race | Season 16 | Are you #Team…

Unoriginal
ATRL Administration
Message added by ATRL Administration,

Reminder to *report* posts that violate rules, especially rules violating our Zero Tolerance Policy (e.g., racism, transphobia, etc.) and spoilers. We cannot adequately moderate this thread if reports are not filed. Click here for the rules. Thank you.

We're currently on Season 15 of the show and they don't seem to be slowing down any time soon, so if they still want people to be watching Season 30, then they NEED to switch things up drastically, especially the challenges

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hephaestus

• Relampago.

• Ya Ya

• Bimbo

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, HotFriedChicken said:

We're currently on Season 15 of the show and they don't seem to be slowing down any time soon, so if they still want people to be watching Season 30, then they NEED to switch things up drastically, especially the challenges

They need to revamp the whole thing like ANTM did every year. At least Tyra came up with something fresh every new season since cycle 12 (petite, high fashion, college edition :gaycat3:)

8 hours ago, feelslikeadream said:

Overall premise? Ummm a drag competition? I don't understand why you'd go into season 7 of a show expecting a different premise. 

You explicitly said "there's literally nothing different" which is flat out wrong. Even with the badges — in the UK they signify a win, but that's it. They can't be blocked and they don't determine the season finalists.

I'm also weary of the challenges being so similar across seasons and would love to see something new, or even reused from earlier seasons. But I can see that issue while still acknowledging this season has changed the formula in pretty major ways.

Who CARES about the blocking twist? You're still watching the same show you've been watching for a decade with a different cast of queens, hence why they need to change it up :toofunny3:

2 hours ago, Iceland said:

They need to revamp the whole thing like ANTM did every year. At least Tyra came up with something fresh every new season since cycle 12 (petite, high fashion, college edition :gaycat3:)

And that’s precisely when ANTM became a gimmicky MESS that no one took seriously and was on the verge of cancellation. Drag Race started off as a camp parody of top model and it’s already easily surpassed it in every way imaginable - better ratings, more critically acclaimed, garnered awards, way more success stories. Why would they ever try to model themselves off a show that massively fell off and they’ve already done way better than, even with a way more niche audience?  

No other show on earth has garnered its highest ratings 13 seasons in (18 if you count AS). They do a good job of switching things up season to season and still maintaining interest despite the show having many international seasons now.

This season is extremely well-received despite what a couple flags on atrl say. Not only is it well received by audiences and the queens are benefiting from it, this season is definitely making other winners who said they wouldn’t return rethink that.

I don’t think there is much else for them to do 

all the long lasting realty shows don’t even really change anything tbh

Dancing with the stars , the voice, AI all are pretty much the same. Drag race has changed much more than those

I don't think that the recent queens/winners having less followers is necessarily a reflection of a decline. The show just has less of a global reach since being taken off international Netflix - plus the factors of over-saturation with so many international versions, and Instagram itself declining

15 minutes ago, mxtthewdelrey said:

I don't think that the recent queens/winners having less followers is necessarily a reflection of a decline. The show just has less of a global reach since being taken off international Netflix - plus the factors of over-saturation with so many international versions, and Instagram itself declining

This. I still haven't watched s14 due to them restricting it to just WoWs low rent app.

8 hours ago, Afferty said:

The least followed queens are being from the first and last seasons just proves the show has peaked. Sad :'(

S14 and AS7 has been breaking rating/IMDB records for the shows. 

I think the show has still got a solid 5 years left in it.

I think the decline in popularity of the newer queens can be boiled down to an oversaturation of drag race (the US seasons feel like less of an event when we constantly has AS, vsTheWorld, All Winners) and the challenges getting stale and boring. 

Also… no one uses Instagram anymore 

Yes IG is becoming less popular and there's saturation but it's also due to despite ya'll saying S14 was amazing, none of the queens were spectacular, unique, interesting, or stars. 1 (which aired over a decade ago) and 14 are the only seasons to not have a single queen even have 700k followers. IG didn't fall off that hard when 2 girls from the season prior have over 1 million. 

Season 14

1m+: 

800k+: 

600k+: Willow

500k+: 

300k+: Kornbread, Bosco, Camden

Season 13

1m+: Gottmik, Symone

800k+: 

600k+: Rose

500k+: Denali

300k+: Kandy, Utica, Olivia

Season 12

1m+: Gigi

800k+: Crystal, Jaida

600k+: Heidi, Jackie, Nicky

500k+: Jan

300k+:

Season 11

1m+: Plastique, Vanjie, Brooke, Yvie

800k+: 

600k+: Nina, 

500k+: Scarlet

300k+: Silky, A'keria, Shuga, Ariel

Who cares about Instagram anyway? It's not like they're booking gigs based on how many followers they have :bam:

20 minutes ago, TheOnlyOne said:

Yes IG is becoming less popular and there's saturation but it's also due to despite ya'll saying S14 was amazing, none of the queens were spectacular, unique, interesting, or stars. 1 (which aired over a decade ago) and 14 are the only seasons to not have a single queen even have 700k followers. IG didn't fall off that hard when 2 girls from the season prior have over 1 million. 

Season 14

1m+: 

800k+: 

600k+: Willow

500k+: 

300k+: Kornbread, Bosco, Camden

Season 13

1m+: Gottmik, Symone

800k+: 

600k+: Rose

500k+: Denali

300k+: Kandy, Utica, Olivia

Season 12

1m+: Gigi

800k+: Crystal, Jaida

600k+: Heidi, Jackie, Nicky

500k+: Jan

300k+:

Season 11

1m+: Plastique, Vanjie, Brooke, Yvie

800k+: 

600k+: Nina, 

500k+: Scarlet

300k+: Silky, A'keria, Shuga, Ariel

It is not only a couple of queens getting +1m followers, whole cast gets lesser and lesser followers each year. I mean top5 of the S15 barely has 100k followers :rip: and AS6 did not do any favour to queens who attented it (Like Silky, Akeria, Ginger or Eureka)

It is obivous people are not that much into the show tbh

The opportunities are vast now though, someone like Jaida has been working constantly since she first announced her comeback. The more things open the more we see the dolls.

Yvie also has been working since her win in Vegas too.

The oversaturation of Drag Race might be part of it, too. There’s less reason to keep queens on your feed if you’re going to have new faves in three months. :deadbanana4:

1 hour ago, Hephaestus said:

Who cares about Instagram anyway? It's not like they're booking gigs based on how many followers they have :bam:

That's literally exactly what they do :rip: 

It's also less accessible

It felt huge when it was on VH1, Netflix etc

6 minutes ago, TheOnlyOne said:

That's literally exactly what they do :rip: 

Then why is Willow, current winner and queen with most followers from her season, missing from almost all post S14 events/interviews/etc. while Kornbread, Kerry and Bosco are always there? :skull:

3 minutes ago, Hephaestus said:

Then why is Willow, current winner and queen with most followers from her season, missing from almost all post S14 events/interviews/etc. while Kornbread, Kerry and Bosco are always there? :skull:

Because they all live on the West Coast and Willow is in ******* Chicago :rip:

20 minutes ago, TheOnlyOne said:

Because they all live on the West Coast and Willow is in ******* Chicago :rip:

Queens travel all the time for gigs, why would Willow be the exception? :skull:

If people wanted her, they'd find a way. She's not only the most followed of the season, she won. Why would anyone settle for less? The truth is that Kornbread, Kerry and Bosco have enough of a reach and popularity to get high profile bookings despite having less followers than Willow.

• ATRL Moderator
10 minutes ago, Hephaestus said:

The truth is that Kornbread, Kerry and Bosco have enough of a reach and popularity to get high profile bookings despite having less followers than Willow.

I don't think this is the truth :rip: Personally, I'm guessing that Willow, who is more introverted than others you named, wants to be a bit more private about her transition and is avoiding too much of a spotlight. It's weird timing since she just won, but I think she's just prioritizing her personal life atm.

Yea it's kind of dumb to not live in the west coast after drag race tbh 

15 minutes ago, feelslikeadream said:

I don't think this is the truth :rip: Personally, I'm guessing that Willow, who is more introverted than others you named, wants to be a bit more private about her transition and is avoiding too much of a spotlight. It's weird timing since she just won, but I think she's just prioritizing her personal life atm.

Why not? I didn't say they're superstars, which is exactly the point I'm arguing about since they all have less followers than Willow, but Kornbread, Kerri and Bosco's stories reached a lot of people and that's enough to get them booked. That definitely didn't translate in more followers, but I'm sure a lot of people look up to them. What you said about Willow could be true though, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by Hephaestus

14 minutes ago, feelslikeadream said:

It’s not. They don’t know **** about anything and are just so desperate to argue :rip:

Flying in Willow from across the country costs more money than having the local girls do it, which if you notice, they ignored local girls Deja and June who have a smaller following. You can guarantee if Willow didn’t have to be flown in and put up in a hotel, which would likely double the fee, she would’ve been asked over every girl who was there. 

Literally every company hires the most popular queen within their budget that’s available to do it, unless the product is specific to a certain demographic. That’s literally business 101. Girls in here really trying to argue that as if everything isn’t based on profit :toofunny2: 90% of these  companies don’t watch the show or know **** about the queens themselves. Their popularity (ie social media follows) is what companies pandering to the LGBTQ community base their hirings off of because a higher follower account = a higher market reach for no additional cost. Their follower count is exactly what companies use to determine how valuable they are like who tf is actually arguing that in 2022?

It’s exactly why queens with the highest followers were cast on Celebrity Drag Race, etc. It’s exactly why they always crown the queen with one of the higher follower counts and it’s exactly why The Viv and Jaida are disqualified from winning AS7 no matter what happens. 

9 minutes ago, TheOnlyOne said:

It’s not. They don’t know **** about anything and are just so desperate to argue :rip:

I'm the one who wants to argue? Didn't you quote me? :toofunny3:

If you are unable to have discussion with someone that has a different opinion than you then don't engage. It's that simple, I swear.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.