Top Gun: Maverick (2022) | Tom Cruise | RT: 96%, MC: 78 | $1.4B WW

Broken

I just came back from the cinema. Safe to say that I am completely blown away by this film. Personally I have never seen the first Top Gun in full, I only saw small parts of it and I always felt like the directing felt very chaotic so I just avoided it. I don't even want to now because I have no idea how it could match up to this.

I don't even know where to start on this one. The cinematography was gorgeous, intimate when it needed to be and vast at exactly the right time. The way the dogfight scenes were so tightly shot was great, though to me the standout scene visually was the opening flight scene of the film, the colors were just so beautiful. Editing was on point and never took you out of the movie, all the scenes flowed so well into one another and the cuts during the action scenes were perfect. Perfectly paced at all times and follows a nice trajectory start to finish.

Direction was excellent and I feel like Joseph Kosinski made his best work. I loved Tron: Legacy and Oblivion but it felt like he was always missing that extra step to make a movie 10/10. Only the Brave was nice as well. He definitely stepped up for this one and I am so happy for him. You were right there in the cockpit with the characters and it felt like anything could happen at any point. My palms were sweating through the entire third act and the captured the tension in an amazing way. I also loved how they build up the entire main plot and how it would go down. You knew what was happening at the entire time and you never felt lost as a viewer, something that many action movies fail to do.

It is also extremely nice to see a movie justify its title. This is definitely Top Gun: Maverick and not just Top Gun 2 with Maverick involved. They developed his character and the inner conflict he has so well. It was nice to see Cruise have moments to display his acting as well and not just play a variation of himself. I also have to say that the rest of the cast shined in the movie as well and I think everyone was really well cast, the chemistry between all of them worked and you could really see them be a team. Miles Teller was also great and I loved how they included Val Kilmer. A sequel is definitely not necessary but after this I definitely wouldn't mind to see the cast returning for a Top Gun 3 given that they develop a good script and story.

The sound in the movie was also intense and immersed you so well, you heard everything around the characters and they made a point that you heard the speed that they were going at. I felt like it took priority over the score and was the primary thing that you heard which is a change of pace from other movies (looking at you Nolan). I really recommend seeing this in IMAX for the full audiovisual experience.

The soundtrack was maybe the only part where I was more mixed about. I love Hans and he is one of my favorite movie composers but it definitely felt a bit phoned in and like it was made by his "students" like Lorne Bafle, who was involved in this. His focus was clearly elsewhere as he seemed to be working on this and Dune at the same time. Gaga phoned it in as well because Hold My Hand can't hold a candle to massive classic power ballads like Take My Breath Away. A great film like this deserves a massive score and song to accompany it and it is disappointing for it to be as bland and forgettable as this. It is surprising that it is the way it is because Joseph Kosinski always has a great score for his movies, if I recall correctly he made a comment once about it being an important element for him.

I see this being a big box office hit and having amazing legs through the summer. It would be a big win for Paramount and the entire crew for making a great film like this.

The run that Tom Cruise is having right now (excluding The Mummy) is just completely insane. In the last 10 years he made some of the best action movies released like Edge of Tomorrow, Rogue Nation, Fallout and Top Gun: Maverick. Releasing Fallout and this back to back is an amazing moment for his career. Definitely one of the last big box office draws just off his name. To think he has another two Mission Impossible films incoming with the same team as the last two is incredible.

Edited by mystery

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Broken

• BNF91

• mystery

• MadonnasBoyfriend

99% Audience Score on RT.

8.7 on IMDb.

Edited by Broken

MadonnasBoyfriend

So the OG predates me so im watching it now cause i wanna see the new one.i figure i need to watch this 1986shit first. But OMG is Tom Cruise HOTTTTT in this. Jesus hes like the most beautiful thing ive ever seen in my life. He needs to be my trophy husband. But him in 1986 brought back with a time machine lol

Im living for take my breath away during the sex scene :gaycat6:

Edited by MadonnasBoyfriend

Not Box Office Pro predicting a high end of $177M for the 4-day opening :deadbanana4:

Crazy! If it opens to that then it will outgross Doctor Strange 2 domestically for sure. Just wild. 

23 minutes ago, BNF91 said:

Not Box Office Pro predicting a high end of $177M for the 4-day opening :deadbanana4:

Crazy! If it opens to that then it will outgross Doctor Strange 2 domestically for sure. Just wild. 

Holy ****. That's a lot of butts-in-seats. TOP GA's impact :duca:

muWiA5k.gif

@The Witch @Marry Illusion Glory @Orsay

it was SO good:jonny5: I'm having thoughts of rewatching it w my friends and I've only rewatched movies thrice my whole life

MadonnasBoyfriend
17 minutes ago, terrorblade said:

it was SO good:jonny5: I'm having thoughts of rewatching it w my friends and I've only rewatched movies thrice my whole life

Its very cute! So excited to see the new one but sad tom has to get old lol

1 hour ago, MadonnasBoyfriend said:

So the OG predates me so im watching it now cause i wanna see the new one.i figure i need to watch this 1986shit first. But OMG is Tom Cruise HOTTTTT in this. Jesus hes like the most beautiful thing ive ever seen in my life. He needs to be my trophy husband. But him in 1986 brought back with a time machine lol

Im living for take my breath away during the sex scene :gaycat6:

IKRRRR. after i watched the og i binged some of Tom’s earlier films… whew he was such a gawgeous charismatic movie star

As a worker, I'm terrified of all the seniors that are gonna come in and berate us but this isn't a period piece so maybe it'll be okay. It's already bad enough with Downton Abbey (all the ones under 50 are nice though :skull: ) though. That being said, I'd like to see this. My boss actually went to Cinemacon and said the effects were stunning. I've never seen the original Top Gun though. 

the military industrial complex propaganda doing well i see.

will gaga's yvan eht nioj do well now?

How can some of you not have seen the original classic? 

2 hours ago, spree said:

How can some of you not have seen the original classic? 

Because it is really clunky and hard to watch. The whole movie is all over the place, I could never get far into the movie. 

Audience score is still at 99% after 1000+ reviews on RT. Not budging :jonny5:

This is going to be big. 

Thursday previews in the $15-19M range

1 minute ago, BNF91 said:

Audience score is still at 99% after 1000+ reviews on RT. Not budging :jonny5:

This is going to be big. 

Thursday previews in the $15-19M range

Word of mouth is going to be insane.

Tom Cruise has never aged, hasn't he? :deadbanana4:

The fact that he still looks almost exactly what he looked like 36 years ago is insane.

On 5/26/2022 at 2:54 AM, mystery said:

I just came back from the cinema. Safe to say that I am completely blown away by this film. Personally I have never seen the first Top Gun in full, I only saw small parts of it and I always felt like the directing felt very chaotic so I just avoided it. I don't even want to now because I have no idea how it could match up to this.

I don't even know where to start on this one. The cinematography was gorgeous, intimate when it needed to be and vast at exactly the right time. The way the dogfight scenes were so tightly shot was great, though to me the standout scene visually was the opening flight scene of the film, the colors were just so beautiful. Editing was on point and never took you out of the movie, all the scenes flowed so well into one another and the cuts during the action scenes were perfect. Perfectly paced at all times and follows a nice trajectory start to finish.

Direction was excellent and I feel like Joseph Kosinski made his best work. I loved Tron: Legacy and Oblivion but it felt like he was always missing that extra step to make a movie 10/10. Only the Brave was nice as well. He definitely stepped up for this one and I am so happy for him. You were right there in the cockpit with the characters and it felt like anything could happen at any point. My palms were sweating through the entire third act and the captured the tension in an amazing way. I also loved how they build up the entire main plot and how it would go down. You knew what was happening at the entire time and you never felt lost as a viewer, something that many action movies fail to do.

It is also extremely nice to see a movie justify its title. This is definitely Top Gun: Maverick and not just Top Gun 2 with Maverick involved. They developed his character and the inner conflict he has so well. It was nice to see Cruise have moments to display his acting as well and not just play a variation of himself. I also have to say that the rest of the cast shined in the movie as well and I think everyone was really well cast, the chemistry between all of them worked and you could really see them be a team. Miles Teller was also great and I loved how they included Val Kilmer. A sequel is definitely not necessary but after this I definitely wouldn't mind to see the cast returning for a Top Gun 3 given that they develop a good script and story.

The sound in the movie was also intense and immersed you so well, you heard everything around the characters and they made a point that you heard the speed that they were going at. I felt like it took priority over the score and was the primary thing that you heard which is a change of pace from other movies (looking at you Nolan). I really recommend seeing this in IMAX for the full audiovisual experience.

The soundtrack was maybe the only part where I was more mixed about. I love Hans and he is one of my favorite movie composers but it definitely felt a bit phoned in and like it was made by his "students" like Lorne Bafle, who was involved in this. His focus was clearly elsewhere as he seemed to be working on this and Dune at the same time. Gaga phoned it in as well because Hold My Hand can't hold a candle to massive classic power ballads like Take My Breath Away. A great film like this deserves a massive score and song to accompany it and it is disappointing for it to be as bland and forgettable as this. It is surprising that it is the way it is because Joseph Kosinski always has a great score for his movies, if I recall correctly he made a comment once about it being an important element for him.

I see this being a big box office hit and having amazing legs through the summer. It would be a big win for Paramount and the entire crew for making a great film like this.

The run that Tom Cruise is having right now (excluding The Mummy) is just completely insane. In the last 10 years he made some of the best action movies released like Edge of Tomorrow, Rogue Nation, Fallout and Top Gun: Maverick. Releasing Fallout and this back to back is an amazing moment for his career. Definitely one of the last big box office draws just off his name. To think he has another two Mission Impossible films incoming with the same team as the last two is incredible.

I agree bar the score.. The score is amazingly done as per usual and Hold My Hand interpolated to the score was just heavenly and cinematic

Can someone help me understand the plot to these movies? I read the wiki pages but its all about being at an air force type of school and going through training at the academy?

The last act of the movie :clap3:the rest of the movie is fine but that last half hour or so is awesome

sorry if someone answered already, but do you need to watch the first film to understand this one?

a+ cinemascore, joining the likes of

show me the father

sing 2

american underdog

unplanned

overcomer

15 minutes ago, Smarticle said:

sorry if someone answered already, but do you need to watch the first film to understand this one?

You don't. They give you enough in this one to know what happened in the first  but I think it does enhance this movie if you've seen the first for sure.

5 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

a+ cinemascore, joining the likes of

show me the father

sing 2

american underdog

unplanned

overcomer

I always gag at the Christian propaganda movies getting A+ those don’t count :bibliahh:

3 hours ago, Smarticle said:

Haven't seen the first one in full and I loved this.

The fact that Maverick has the potential to outgross The Batman (WW) and Multiverse of Madness (DOM) :deadbanana:.

The stars aligned for this movie. Imagine if Dominion disappoints/underperforms. I—

Edited by Broken

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.