• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Genius1111

• Espresso

• Jotham

• Cloröx

On 6/11/2022 at 1:13 PM, Genius1111 said:

I kind of miss seeing Headlock coming into the thread to clock some of the other members.

@Headlock said they'd given up several weeks before the forum reset as I can recall, and I don't blame them.

Although during the most recent peaks we did have some new traffic with some who claimed to be in the medical field :coffee2: 

2 hours ago, Genius1111 said:

Whoa, two things.

First, I had no idea Gawker was back after Peter Thiel and Hulk Hogan destroyed them. Now I get to read stuff from them again, so yay, I guess.

Second, it's about damn time someone called her out - hope this spreads. So much of her material from the past year-and-a-half has been backed by little to no evidence and yet she still keeps getting invited to these mainstream panels and op-eds in WaPo. It's been infuriating. 

@Genius1111 Leanna's Wiki page reads like a paid press release, and of course, has no subsection on the reaction to her Covid pieces. 

But I have included the link in the list of several url's regarding her Covid work in the opener of the article, so I've done my part. Thanks for sharing it.

1 hour ago, Espresso said:

What exactly does excess mortality mean again? Does this mean deaths are not being accounted for correctly 

17 hours ago, LostInStereo100 said:

What exactly does excess mortality mean again? Does this mean deaths are not being accounted for correctly 

It's complicated, but this is from a quick Google search result in August 2020, and Stat News is a really reliable source:

A focus on just confirmed and suspected deaths misses out on those deaths from other causes resulting from more indirect effects of Covid-19. For example, deaths can occur when health systems are strained or overwhelmed and unable to provide sufficient or quality care — think of non-Covid-19 patients requiring ICU beds in units already over capacity due to the pandemic. Deaths can also arise from delays in going to the hospital among those needing care due to fear of getting infected during their stay. And lastly there are deaths stemming from Covid-19’s interactions with noncommunicable diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, cancer, kidney disease, and others.

The concept of “excess mortality” — the difference between the total number deaths from all causes during a specified period of time and the expected number of deaths for the same place and time of year, on an historical average — has been gaining attention as a useful metric. Countries from Belgium to South Africa, as well as major metropolitan areas like New York City, have adopted excess mortality counts to understand the true burden of Covid-19 outbreaks within their borders. Even news outlets are providing estimates of excess deaths in countries around the world.

Maybe overall Singapore is returning to normal but I just attended a 30-person work event and 18 of us ended up with COVID. All of us were vaccinated. Luckily the symptoms are mild.

:gaycat6:

I am genuinely surprised that bars were allowed to operate after last week's (?) relaxation of curbs. 

Singapore, which had been less stringent that China, forced night establishments to be shut for 2 straight years.

Among the so-called non-pharmaceutical measures to contain the Covid-19 pandemic, public information campaigns and school closures were the most effective. They reduced the reproduction rate, which is the average number of people infected by an infected person, by 0.35 and 0.24, respectively. This is the result of a study conducted with the participation of the Kiel Institute, which also systematically evaluated data from outside the United States and China, including Germany. "Nevertheless, the high effectiveness of a measure does not automatically translate into a recommendation for political implementation if it has, as in the case of school closures, strong negative effects," says study author Alexander Sandkamp from the Kiel Institute.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.