COVID-19 [Day 1600]

Genius1111

3 hours ago, Genius1111 said:

I suppose a lot of countries (rich and poor) will start to 

(1) not urge vaccinations, or at least delay the next booster

(2) not offer them for free

Welp :chick3:

I'm glad I was proactived, listened to the medical professionals and understood the science in regards to the vaccines. I got my third booster (Moderna bivalent) back in December and if that became the last time I was offered a free dose then so be it.

Just a damn shame booster uptake is terrible but the idea of paying for a future dose (as covid shots may become annual like the flu) is equally terrible.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Genius1111

• Espresso

• Jotham

• Cloröx

6 hours ago, Genius1111 said:

Bloomberg News: China has not updated its COVID tally in 3 days, and China's CDC did not answer their calls

---

Very hard to believe an Asian country actually stopped the count, but here we are.

Tbh I thought Singapore was moving towards this but I never would have guessed China would be the first country :rip:

21 hours ago, Espresso said:

I would guess that 600,000 is a more likely number (and probably still an undercount). The expectation is that nearly 2 million will die from this wave (that is going to last 3 months?).

Obviously the US cannot be at #1 in terms of COVID cases since their population is under 400 million.

Looks like I was sort of right regarding the number of COVID deaths in China, though I expected it to already be north of 600,000.

All of this antivax #DiedSuddenly **** is making me go insane. Why do people refuse to consider that the VIRUS ITSELF which causes vascular disease is connected to all these sudden cardio deaths? Its not the damn vaccine. Just look at the excess deaths of republican voters vs democrat (one population heavily unvaccinated, one heavily vaccinated). It feels like society just defaults to conspiracies now for anything going on in the world and its such a small-brained cop out

Instead, if the deceased had an underlying disease, that should be named as the main cause of death, according to the notice, a copy of which was seen by Reuters.

If doctors believe that the death was caused solely by COVID-19 pneumonia, they must report to their superiors, who will arrange for two levels of "expert consultations" before a COVID death is confirmed, it said

A comment from a Redditor...

To echo your last point, China always faced a catch-22 when it came to their zero covid policy. They were always under resourced in healthcare and under vaccinated (especially elderly). Any opening would be painful. The protests just gave the government an “out”; an excuse to reopen and at least deflect some blame onto the protestors.

Edited by Genius1111

I still remember reading the thread over on r/nursing about all the pregnant women with covid on ventilators. They would get about 48 hours warning to save the baby, enough to alert the family, save the baby via C-section and mom would die and they would hand off the new baby to the widowed dad.

In the entire long thread no one had a mom who survived.

It was one of the most horribly depressing things I have ever read.

"White House covid-19 response coordinator Ashish Jha said the American health-care system may not be able to withstand the continued viral onslaught, straining the system’s ability to care for other serious illnesses.

'I am worried that we are going to have, for years, our health system being pretty dysfunctional, not being able to take care of heart attack patients, not being able to take care of cancer patients, not being able to take care of the kid who’s got appendicitis because we’re going to be so overwhelmed with respiratory viruses for … three or four months a year,' Jha told The Washington Post.

He described a scenario in which the typical winter logjam of patients begins much earlier than usual — in August or September — because of the coronavirus. It’s a darker scenario than the administration has portrayed in the past, and one Jha said most Americans have yet to realize."

On 1/21/2023 at 11:13 PM, ClashAndBurn said:

What else can you do?  Vaccines are available for everyone, and they seemingly work.  You can decidedly wear a mask if you want, but many wont.  You can't stay locked up for years, and years, it doesn't solve any issues.  People have the ability to help themselves now, and they if they decide not to, there isn't much more you can do.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.