2024 US Election Megathread 🇺🇸🏛️

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore. 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone. 

People are so unrepentantly stupid. 

It’s like… they can’t see what’s right in front of them. And this lie is especially pernicious because it erodes the way people think about how government and voting works.

Democrats have quite literally gotten more of “what they want” legislatively than Republicans for at least the last half century. That party is so dysfunctional that they’ve been able to do even less with their majorities. That’s why they’ve opted to legislate from the BENCH instead. 

McConnell and them have effectively given up because it’s too hard to get all characters on board and decided to go easy mode — where it only takes 6 people to agree on something than 300+ people (between the House and Senate).

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• ClashAndBurn

• GhostBox

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

The riots and backlash will be IMMENSE. Republicans might be losing the suburbs if they push any harder on being anti-abortion or overturn gay marriage. 

You do realize this is what the elite 1 percent want. They want everyone focusing their attention on everything but how rich they are, how they keep getting richer and how they really are the ones running things to their own benefit.

4 hours ago, Chemist said:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/direction_of_country-902.html

Americans think the US is on the wrong track by records :deadbanana2: There is going to be some sort of serious civil unrest soon

Television real housewives GIF - Find on GIFER

Correlates pretty well with this :mandown:

UO9D3t6.jpg

Bernie and Fetterman :clap3:

:clown: he's undemocratic like Republicans, wbk

:clown: :clown:

:clown: :clown: :clown:

I feel so sick. I think there is no way to stop the momentum that the GOP has with turning this country into an authoritarian oligarch theocratic country. 

The way useless progressives want to get rid of probably the most powerful and leveraged individual working on their side 

All cause she has to moderate her approach to get 200+ votes in line, despite her own radical leftist personal politics. So short-sighted :bibliahh:

It’s like the right getting rid of McConnell (who’s orders of magnitudes less powerful than Pelosi) for some stupid purity reasons. Only the left would cut off its own nose to spite it’s face. 

Me having to open the thread every day and point out that Kassi is losing their mind at their own impending doom:

10 minutes ago, Communion said:

Me having to open the thread every day and point out that Kassi is losing their mind at their own impending doom:

and Bang Up (in other threads) :gaycat:

Neolibs on Twitter have been frothing at the mouth over AOC pressuring Biden and demanding she be primaried out. :deadbanana: The way they unashamedly hate when anyone from the party tries to do anything because politics is just a team sport to them.

are democrats messaging at all that they're trying to convince manchin, murkowski, and collins for a one-off filibuster carve out to codify roe or at least to repeal the hyde amendment since all three stated kavanaugh and gorsuch misled them during confirmations on the topic? 

3 hours ago, Kassi said:

The way useless progressives want to get rid of probably the most powerful and leveraged individual working on their side 

All cause she has to moderate her approach to get 200+ votes in line, despite her own radical leftist personal politics. So short-sighted :bibliahh:

It’s like the right getting rid of McConnell (who’s orders of magnitudes less powerful than Pelosi) for some stupid purity reasons. Only the left would cut off its own nose to spite it’s face. 

She literally campaigned for a antichoice/anti abortion Democrat in a primary 1 month ago

**** her

She is such a pig. We need term limits.

3 hours ago, publikcitizen said:

I feel so sick. I think there is no way to stop the momentum that the GOP has with turning this country into an authoritarian oligarch theocratic country. 

I can viscerally feel the ratchet effect right now. I do think our country has collapsed.

We have a slim opportunity to course-correct if we maintain and/or expand our seats in Congress this fall. 

5 hours ago, publikcitizen said:

At this point here isn't much hope. The next 6-10 years are going to be rough. The fact that democratic leadership isn't in full panic mode shows how out of touch they really are.

2 hours ago, Armani? said:

She literally campaigned for a antichoice/anti abortion Democrat in a primary 1 month ago

**** her

Dude. Chill. She “campaigned” for her entire caucus. 

That’s like the BASIC level of loyalty a party leader can show the people who’s votes they have to then solicit for legislation. Otherwise, what loyalty do those members owe to leadership? 

If Cisneros won, leadership would campaign for her next election around. That’s it. It’s probably the least controversial, most understated, yet massively effective tool that prevents Pelosi’s House from looking like Boehner or Ryan’s dysfunctional mess. :rip:

Imagine Trump holding a majority in the House (all that’s required to pass a bill) and not being able to advance on INFRASTRUCTURE or IMMIGRATION, of all things. :bibliahh:

(Spoiler, none of those bills ever passed)

This is the kind of dysfunction you just don’t get because of Pelosi. The fact that we ONLY EVER have to talk about the Dem Senate is taken for granted.

But I want you guys to start considering what it would like if reckless idiots like AOC had their way, endorsing primaires of sitting members and whatnot. You’d have factional wars and induce a gridlock within a gridlock.

In hindsight, Bernie's position to maintain the filibuster in '16 and '20 was kind of nonsensical and he should have been pressured to change that position quicker. What was the plan for his agenda had he won & become president with a 51 majority, have his supporters yell at Republicans until his bills pass? :skull: I know there was talk of budget reconciliation but let's be honest it was a flawed plan

Glad he's right on it now

In reviewing discourse from today I have revised my personal political opinions and I now think Nancy Pelosi should be be immediately removed from the speakership and replaced with AOC! I will take no questions.

4 hours ago, Thuggin said:

Neolibs on Twitter have been frothing at the mouth over AOC pressuring Biden and demanding she be primaried out. :deadbanana: The way they unashamedly hate when anyone from the party tries to do anything because politics is just a team sport to them.

Well we just can’t have someone questioning the status quo of preaching incrementalism while secretly intending to never move beyond an initial conservative compromise increment, now can we? We MUST trust that voting really hard for people who want our rushed donations moments after devastating judicial losses is the One True Way to slowly and methodically save our country (which is collapsing into Christian fascism at light speed). There’s simply nothing else to be done! Nothing else in government even exists!

n. AOC has enuf trouble seeking votes for her bills, let alone a Speakership after trashing and calling for primary challenges against so many of her colleagues. 

So let’s start there. :gaycat6:

4 minutes ago, Kassi said:

n. AOC has enuf trouble seeking votes for her bills, let alone a Speakership after trashing and calling for primary challenges against so many of her colleagues. 

So let’s start there. :gaycat6:

Certain Democrats not voting for those bills is exactly the reason she's in the right to call for them to be primaried out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.