2024 US Election Megathread ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ›๏ธ

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore.ย 
ย 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone.ย 

5 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

The US Government literally let 1 million people die and did nothing to improve itโ€™s disastrous healthcare system.

ย 

Neoliberalism is a clown show and a disease.

Whatever the United States government did, they were voted in power by the people. You can't say the same thing about CCP. That's the real discussion here.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• ClashAndBurn

• GhostBox

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Monster Megamind said:

Whatever the United States government did, they were voted in power by the people. You can't say the same thing about CCP. That's the real discussion here.

This isnโ€™t even really accurate. The American people lack the financial and physical resources, the means, the information, the legal standing, and the Constitutional authority do make any actual choices in our elections.ย The United States government is absolutely not empowered by the actual support and informed consent of its citizens, and thatโ€™s by design.

11 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

This isnโ€™t even really accurate. The American people lack the financial and physical resources, the means, the information, the legal standing, and the Constitutional authority do make any actual choices in our elections.ย The United States government is absolutely not empowered by the actual support and informed consent of its citizens, and thatโ€™s by design.

I disagree. No one is forcing you to go or not go to the voting booth. You have that choice in United States.ย 

5 minutes ago, Monster Megamind said:

I disagree. No one is forcing you to go or not go to the voting booth. You have that choice in United States.ย 

I didnโ€™t say otherwise. My stance is that the votes ultimately donโ€™t really matter, that those votes and the candidates for whom theyโ€™re cast are largely bought by corporate interests anyway, and that theyโ€™re mostly choices between candidates hand-picked by and for the wealthy.

ย 

When third-party and independent candidates funded by grassroots individual contributions start to get votes because of their policy proposals and their stances on critical issues, Iโ€™ll happily eat my words. My left shoe, too, while weโ€™re at it.

ย 

But sure. Youโ€™re allowed to walk into a voting booth and pick between Joe Biden, Donald Trump, and literally nothing. Thatโ€™s a thing, I guess.

1 hour ago, Cruel Summer said:

I didnโ€™t say otherwise. My stance is that the votes ultimately donโ€™t really matter, that those votes and the candidates for whom theyโ€™re cast are largely bought by corporate interests anyway, and that theyโ€™re mostly choices between candidates hand-picked by and for the wealthy.

May be the truth is leftists are less in number compared to liberals and conservatives... But that doesn't mean those 2 won by unfair means. Corporate cash is legal in United States and Genx voters prefer pro business candidates.

8 minutes ago, Monster Megamind said:

Corporate cash is legal in United States

Yes, hence the problem.

32 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

Yes, hence the problem.

It is a problem only for the people who are not business friendly...

1 minute ago, Monster Megamind said:

It is a problem only for the people who are not business friendly...

No. That corporate interests are given free reign to buy and sell policy and politicians, in addition to all the other ways they are allowed to pervade our lives, is a problem for every single person.

1 minute ago, Cruel Summer said:

No. That corporate interests are given free reign to buy and sell policy and politicians, in addition to all the other ways they are allowed to pervade our lives, is a problem for every single person.

The majority is certainly ok with it and voting for it.

10 minutes ago, Monster Megamind said:

The majority is certainly ok with it and voting for it.

The average voter isnโ€™t even informed enough to know the actual workings of the system theyโ€™re participating in (which is also intentional as part of the system). So no, I donโ€™t believe that the majority of Americans are okay with and voting for the current system. Theyโ€™re participating in it - that doesnโ€™t necessarily correlate with understanding it.

7 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

The average voter isnโ€™t even informed enough to know the actual workings of the system theyโ€™re participating in (which is also intentional as part of the system). So no, I donโ€™t believe that the majority of Americans are okay with and voting for the current system. Theyโ€™re participating in it - that doesnโ€™t necessarily correlate with understanding it.

Voter not being informed shouldn't definitely be blamed for saying United States is not a Democracy. It's not like people who vote for leftist are automatically more enlightened. I on the other think, people know the flaws in our system and make an informed choice or a calculated tolerance so that they don't ย ignore the larger picture at hand....

2 minutes ago, Monster Megamind said:

Voter not being informed shouldn't definitely be blamed for saying United States is not a Democracy. It's not like people who vote for leftist are automatically more enlightened. I on the other think, people know the flaws in our system and make an informed choice or a calculated tolerance so that they don't ย ignore the larger picture at hand....

No - it definitely should be blamed. The deliberate dissemination of disinformation and deliberate efforts to keep voters uninformed serves a very specific purpose of maintaining the current political status quo. I donโ€™t think the average voter is aware of the flaws in the system - not all of them - and I donโ€™t think calculated risks are really a part of most votersโ€™ thought process.

38 minutes ago, Monster Megamind said:

The majority is certainly ok with it

What input do voters have on a court decision? Poll after poll shows people don't think money should influence politic.

6 minutes ago, Communion said:

What input do voters have on a court decision? Poll after poll shows people don't think money should influence politic.

Dint the voters give the party a majority in the senate to install those judges.?. We have a representative democracy.ย 

10 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

No - it definitely should be blamed. The deliberate dissemination of disinformation and deliberate efforts to keep voters uninformed serves a very specific purpose of maintaining the current political status quo. I donโ€™t think the average voter is aware of the flaws in the system - not all of them - and I donโ€™t think calculated risks are really a part of most votersโ€™ thought process.

I disagree with you. That's all I can say.

57 minutes ago, Monster Megamind said:

Dint the voters give the party a majority in the senate to install those judges?

You're displaying a fundamental misunderstanding of how the judiciary works, when it is literally founded on the aspect of individual interpretation of the law by judges, which would, in your version of the world, mean every voter must predict how hundreds of possible judges interpret laws, despite largely having no ability to predict what kinds of cases will reach what courts and when.

ย 

You're quite literally trying to argue the judiciary is infallible or at least enough to the degree of public outrage being not justified, but that's literally not how it works nor how any normal human who isn't a robot programmed to annoy people on behalf of Democrats would think.ย 

ย 

I mean, Citizens United was a lawsuit against an already existing law (so obviously the law was popular enough to get enough Congress members into office to pass it), whileย  you're also essentially arguing that elections themselves post-2005 would be pointless. Most young people (ages 18-34) quite literally were not of voting age in 2005.ย :deadbanana4:

ย 

Let alone that none of this has anything to do with anything, let alone China, and that randomly squawking about China to defend Democrats is basically the most white supremacist one can get and outs one as knowing that the point of American nationalism - in all its supremacist intentions - is to get people to not question the failures of America by creating an imagined enemy out of a random projection.ย 

Edited by Communion

ย 

This is how Bernie can still win.

ย 

(This is just him repeating the threat to primary Obama in '12 that made Harry Reid **** himself but whew king ****)

ย 

insta-tay.thumb.gif.1a62d10017308b40e9c8

ย 

America debasing itself by kowtowing to this clown :ahh:ย 

ย 

MBS could probably raise the gas price to 6 dollars a gallon in October. If he wanted. Honestly wouldnโ€™t be surprised. It would be a way to make Biden suffer even more major legislative losses and keep the US completely paralyzed for a full two years.

22 minutes ago, Communion said:

ย 

This is how Bernie can still win.

ย 

(This is just him repeating the threat to primary Obama in '12 that made Harry Reid **** himself but whew king ****)

ย 

insta-tay.thumb.gif.1a62d10017308b40e9c8

ย 

ย 

16 minutes ago, Espresso said:

ย 

Iโ€™m going to wait and see how badly Democrats get shellacked in the midterms. Honestly a 2010-level defeat would be far too disastrous as an outright rejection of Bidenism. He doesnโ€™t have Obamaโ€™s charisma, which is ultimately the only reason Obama managed to win a second term against Romney. Biden is the least popular president ever (for this point in the term), and according to Quinnipiac, is less popular THAN TRUMP among the 18-30 age cohort. That should be cause for concern, and yet Democrats think they will sail to re-election just fine because they arenโ€™t Trump.

ย 

That said, I simultaneously think that Biden is just so awful and unpopular that thereโ€™s no way he wins re-election, even against Trump. And yet, heโ€™s still the best choice the Democrats have, by far, because the ENTIRE rest of the likely field is so much worse and so much more unlikeable than Biden.

I swear to goodness, some of the posts in here are so weird. The US is fine if you're ''business friendly'', 1 million people dying is fine because there are elections. Doesn't matter that there's only two parties and a media that is owned by the rich who set the agenda and boundaries of political thought for millions. China sets LGBT policy in America.... It seems as things get worse with the highest drop in real incomes in the West in decades under an establishment centrist presidency, the cheerleaders are going into overdrive.ย 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.