2024 US Election Megathread ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ›๏ธ

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore.ย 
ย 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone.ย 

Unfortunately, Fetterman is never making it on a national ticket.ย 
ย 

I agree heโ€™d definitely make a great moderate option to back a progressive leading candidate, but his health issues might be disqualifying to a majority of Americans.

• Replies 20.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• ClashAndBurn

• GhostBox

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitmer obviously isn't progressive enough, but in terms of the establishment options, she is the most electable imo. She's likeable, attractive, competent, young, and most importantly, extremely midwestern. Her accent is very charming. I could see her pulling a slim victory where she wins all the Biden states minus GA & Arizona.

ย 

Pete is way too corporate/elite (and gay), Kamala is a terrible candidate across the board. It's time for mainstream dems to start grooming Whitmer.

1 hour ago, Kassi said:

ย 

I agree heโ€™d definitely make a great moderate option to back a progressive leading candidate, but his health issues might be disqualifying to a majority of Americans.

FDR, Reagan, Biden ectย 

ย 

Americans are not afraid to elect men with poor health. Having a stroke does not disqualify Fettermanย 

9 minutes ago, Harrier said:

Whitmer obviously isn't progressive enough, but in terms of the establishment options, she is the most electable imo. She's likeable, attractive, competent, young, and most importantly, extremely midwestern. Her accent is very charming. I could see her pulling a slim victory where she wins all the Biden states minus GA & Arizona.

ย 

Pete is way too corporate/elite (and gay), Kamala is a terrible candidate across the board. It's time for mainstream dems to start grooming Whitmer.

Whitmer's an insurance heiress, so uh... good luck with that.

ย 

Kamala gets the board cleared for her in 2028 a la Hillary unless she herself decides she doesn't want it. Outgoing Vice Presidents ALWAYS get the nomination when they run. Even Mondale did, and he was VP to the only Dem president who was arguably less popular than Biden.

2 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Whitmer's an insurance heiress, so uh... good luck with that.

ย 

Kamala gets the board cleared for her in 2028 a la Hillary unless she herself decides she doesn't want it. Outgoing Vice Presidents ALWAYS get the nomination when they run. Even Mondale did, and he was VP to the only Dem president who was arguably less popular than Biden.

You're right about Kamala, but even the notoriously delusional dem establishment knows she is electoral poison. It's obvious from how they never use her for anything significant. She will have people begging her not to run. Let's hope she listens.

19 minutes ago, Harrier said:

You're right about Kamala, but even the notoriously delusional dem establishment knows she is electoral poison. It's obvious from how they never use her for anything significant. She will have people begging her not to run. Let's hope she listens.

If Democrats cared about electoral poison, they wouldn't have nominated Hillary. :michael:ย 

ย 

They nominate based on identity quotas rather than policy proposals or electability. They will also weaponize their identity if there's even a chance they might not skate by. The minute there's a viable alternative to Kamala in the primary, there will be an all-out onslaught against that person, smearing them as a racist and sexist for DARING to challenge a black woman when it's "her time." In liberal circles, there's no greater dishonor than being accused of that, so I don't think many people will be willing to stand in her way after she declares.

ย 

Aside from people who have no hope like Nina Turner and Marianne Williamson. :toofunny3:

Hillary was the most qualified candidate in the Democratic Party in 2016, besides Joe Biden. ย Being a woman had nothing to do with it.ย 
ย 

The Kamala/Hillary comparison does not work. Even as First Lady, Hillary accomplished more than Kamala did during her whole career so far. Hillary had been in the public eye for 30 years, everyone has an opinion of her. Some people worshiped her while others hated her guts. People still donโ€™t know anything about Kamala. She has no accomplishments and no political stances.
ย 

The only thing Kamala has going for her is that she will be the outgoing Vice President in 2028. Which will probably insure her the nomination. Being a woman of color has nothing to with itย 

ย 

ย 

Whitmer's re-election is more due the incompetence of the Michigan GOP, than anything she did as governor. The Michigan GOP threw away a good chance of winning by not making sure a good candidate made it into the primary and got stuck with a fringe extremist.

10 minutes ago, Vroom Vroom said:

Hillary was the most qualified candidate in the Democratic Party in 2016

2022 and people still not realizing these quirky modifiers like "most qualified" don't mean anything to 99% of voters.ย :toofunny3:

8 minutes ago, chessguy99 said:

Whitmer's re-election is more due the incompetence of the Michigan GOP, than anything she did as governor. The Michigan GOP threw away a good chance of winning by not making sure a good candidate made it into the primary and got stuck with a fringe extremist.

This. Insurance Heiress Gretchen โ€œBig Gretchโ€ Whitmer will flop on the national stage, as will Gay Governor Jared Polis. Their performance in their statewide races isnโ€™t indicative of how well theyโ€™ll do in Wisconsin.

ย 

17 minutes ago, Vroom Vroom said:

Hillary was the most qualified candidate in the Democratic Party in 2016, besides Joe Biden. ย Being a woman had nothing to do with it.ย 
ย 

The Kamala/Hillary comparison does not work. Even as First Lady, Hillary accomplished more than Kamala did during her whole career so far. Hillary had been in the public eye for 30 years, everyone has an opinion of her. Some people worshiped her while others hated her guts. People still donโ€™t know anything about Kamala. She has no accomplishments and no political stances.
ย 

The only thing Kamala has going for her is that she will be the outgoing Vice President in 2028. Which will probably insure her the nomination. Being a woman of color has nothing to with itย 

ย 

ย 

Yโ€™all can keep telling yourselves that Hillary was โ€œqualifiedโ€ but tens of thousands of black Obama voters of Philadelphia, Detroit, and Milwaukee disagreed when they stayed home after being haunted by the 20 year old ghost of her calling black people โ€œsuper predatorsโ€ :michael:
ย 

The most vocal crowd pushing back against Bernieโ€™s candidacy in 2015 and 2016 screeched about how he was a sexist denying her the opportunity to break the glass ceiling. Anyone running against Kamala will face the same vitriol, and their political careers wonโ€™t survive given that billionaire donors will flee anyone tarred with such a toxic allegation.

20 hours ago, dancingqueen said:

Warnock will win, it was like this today where I live in Fulton County(Largest County and Heavily Democratic). About a 2 hour wait and lots of young/black/women in line. There is clearly no choice in this vote so I don't know why it still took so long but it's done. Thank goodness

ย 

Took me 2 hours to vote by Ponce

Anyway, Warnock will likely skate through by virtue of Walker being an unprecedentedly horrendous candidate. We can predict based on the rest of the statewide races in Georgia this past year that Ossoff in 2026, on the other hand, will be toast. Especially if Brian Kemp runs for his seat since his second and final term as governor will be ending.

ย 

It's a shame she had no moral principles or guiding ideology since her neurotic personality is so easy to stan ddd. The gates literally opened up for her to be some progressive icon. I remember people in 2018 talking about a Kamala-Warren ticket of all things.ย :deadbanana4:

ย 

I'll never get over like 10+ of these politicians desperately trying to paint themselves as progressive and supportive of single payer healthcare but then the insurance company checks came in and they ALL folded.ย :toofunny3:

ย 

People always made "Berne or Bust" seem absurd when it was Clinton vs Sanders, but if your main policy is you want single payer, and only *one* man out of 20+ candidates supports it, who wouldn't be turned off and disgusted with that larger system as a whole? 80% of these losers co-sponsoring M4A in the Senate but then deciding they no longer supported M4A once it came time to ask for donations for a presidential run.ย 

ย 

15 hours ago, Kassi said:

ย 

and yet Biden got 80M votes?

• ATRL Moderator
18 hours ago, Communion said:

ย 

It's a shame she had no moral principles or guiding ideology since her neurotic personality is so easy to stan ddd.

ย 

No, I legitimately hate this. She's so genuinely funny and bizarre (weirder than Marianne Williamson who was treated like the joke of the primary, unfortunately) that I'd straight up stan if she had a solid political identity and it was planted in leftist populism. The Venn diagram edits have been killing me. :deadbanana4:

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

No, I legitimately hate this. She's so genuinely funny and bizarre (weirder than Marianne Williamson who was treated like the joke of the primary, unfortunately) that I'd straight up stan if she had a solid political identity and it was planted in leftist populism. The Venn diagram edits have been killing me. :deadbanana4:

The โ€œWheels On The Busโ€ Chanteuse coulda pursued a career of pop music and top-tier comedy instead, but alas :weeps:ย 

Edited by ClashAndBurn

• ATRL Moderator

Kamalaย isย hilarious. she's the awkward aunt at dinner :bibliahh:ย that Thanksgiving video confirms it

• ATRL Moderator
12 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

The โ€œWheels On The Busโ€ Chanteuse coulda pursued a career of pop music and top-tier comedy instead, but alas :weeps:ย 

We need a remix ofย Wheels on the Busย in the style of this iconic masterpiece of a bopย from 2016:

ย 

ย 

ย 

Future Supreme Court case right here. My prediction is that SCOTUS will rule that trans people will either have to use the bathroom of their assigned-at-birth gender or will be unable to use the bathroom in public if a gender-neutral bathroom is unavailable.

3 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

ย 

Future Supreme Court case right here. My prediction is that SCOTUS will rule that trans people will either have to use the bathroom of their assigned-at-birth gender or will be unable to use the bathroom in public if a gender-neutral bathroom is unavailable.

There is no way that would be law :rip:ย  Unless you are just implying that is the only option in a ruling of "use the bathroom of their assigned-at-birth gender"

10 minutes ago, fauxtography said:

There is no way that would be law :rip:ย  Unless you are just implying that is the only option in a ruling of "use the bathroom of their assigned-at-birth gender"

It wouldn't be law or the decision, necessarily, but it would be the outcome of the expected SCOTUS decision. A trans woman being forced to use the men's restroom would raise the probability of her being assaulted by a cis man, no?

11 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

It wouldn't be law or the decision, necessarily, but it would be the outcome of the expected SCOTUS decision. A trans woman being forced to use the men's restroom would raise the probability of her being assaulted by a cis man, no?

Agreed - so I understand the sentiment. I guess I was just taking the post literally - not that anything is surprising in the current state of affairs but couldn't quite realistically accept there would be "Trans people can no longer use bathrooms" in writing. :rip:

ย 

That said, if this is an eventual SC case, I would be curious to know the limitations. Would this just be in schools? Federal property? Can't imagine they could make some kind of sweeping rule if the case in question is in regards to a School.

2 minutes ago, fauxtography said:

Agreed - so I understand the sentiment. I guess I was just taking the post literally - not that anything is surprising in the current state of affairs but couldn't quite realistically accept there would be "Trans people can no longer use bathrooms" in writing. :rip:

ย 

That said, if this is an eventual SC case, I would be curious to know the limitations. Would this just be in schools? Federal property? Can't imagine they could make some kind of sweeping rule if the case in question is in regards to a School.

"Trans people can no longer use bathrooms in public" was never the stated aim of the 2016 bathroom bills, but it was certainly the expected outcome that was tacitly endorsed by the Republican Party at the time. The idea is to make people denounce "trans ideology" and force them back in the closet.

ย 

As for the outcome of a SCOTUS case, my guess is that it would apply to public properties in general and it would be for private establishments to decide how they handle it from there. It could stop at schools only, but given the maximalist ruling of Dobbs going FAR beyond what the lawsuit was even trying to accomplish, I doubt the court's ideology will bind them.

I hate to say it but I don't know a single potential Democratic 2024 nominee with enough fire to stand to Desantis. We gotta come up with someone... and fastย 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.