2024 US Election Megathread 🇺🇸🏛️

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore. 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone. 

7 minutes ago, Communion said:

Why would you insert your own assumption that anyone is commenting about you onto my posts directed at another user, especially when *you* originally quoted my posts first? :skull: The constant sinophobia from you is wild too, on top of the paranoid personal insults, but more importantly - did you think it came off as logical to fly into a rage of assumptions about my posts that you've chosen to interact with? 

Do you think you've achieved anything productive just now by not reading a post correctly? :skull:

1.) if I wanted to pick an argument with you, I would have when I originally responded to you. Me saying “eh, Republicans still did fairly poorly overall for 2022” wasn’t picking an argument with you in anyway. 

2.) Rightfully calling out the CCP for their atrocious human rights record isn’t “sinophobia”. A matter of fact, its no different than the neoliberals you despise who immediately scream ANTISEMITISM whenever Israel is (rightfully) called out for their atrocious human rights record as well 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• ClashAndBurn

• GhostBox

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Bears01 said:

Me saying “eh, Republicans still did fairly poorly overall for 2022”

GhostBox: *suggests that 2024 will go fine because of 2022*

Me: *points out how that concept is questionable because 2022 =/= 2024*

GhostBox: *doubles-down on claim, citing evidence of Republicans underperforming*

Me: *reminds them that they didn't think Republicans would underperform at all in 2022 while many of us knew the map's reality and thus their claims both then and now are not grounded in logic and reason*

You: *quote me to, for some reason, reiterate 'Republicans still did fairly poorly overall for 2022'*

Me: *reiterates that such is still not evidence to the claim in Ghostbox's post and that their claim is misleading*

You: "Well **** you, China Lover! And don't be so insulting next time!" 

:deadbanana4:

I didn't think you were romanticizing Biden's presidency, but flying off at the handle the moment you detect disagreement and unloading into a roulette of personal insults mixed with reactionary conspiracies about other countries fueled by America exceptionalism sure comes off as you trying to convince me you are. :skull:

Edited by Communion

1 minute ago, Communion said:

GhostBox: *suggests that 2024 will go fine because of 2022*

Me: *points out how that concept is questionable because 2022 =/= 2024*

GhostBox: *doubles-down on claim, citing evidence of Republicans underperforming*

Me: *reminds them that they didn't think Republicans would underperform at all in 2022 while many of us knew the map's reality and thus their claims both then and now are not grounded in logic and reason*

You: *quote me to, for some reason, reiterate 'Republicans still did fairly poorly overall for 2022'*

Me: *clarifies that such is not evidence to the claim in Ghostbox's post and that their claim is misleading*

You: "Well **** you, China Lover! And don't be so insulting next time!" 

:deadbanana4:

I didn't think you were romanticizing Biden's presidency, but flying off at the handle the moment you detect disagreement and unloading into a roulette of personal insults mixed with reactionary conspiracies about other countries fueled by America exceptionalism sure comes off as you trying to convince me you are. :skull:

I reread your post, and I did misread your first post, and I thought you said I was trying to romanticize Biden’s presidency. I was wrong. Apologies. Truce?

Gretchen Whitmer is really coming for the presidency in a few cycles isn’t she 

6 hours ago, Wonderland said:

I see the potential. She may not be my favorite pick in terms of her politics, but there is natural talent there. Very likeable and charismatic, and her charming midwestern accent doesn't hurt. A more electable pick then any of the 2020 primary candidates

6 hours ago, Wonderland said:

She'll run for it, and would certainly have a better shot at it than... Kamala or Pete who are absolutely sure-fire losers. But I don't see the Democrats winning the presidency after Biden. Truly they have zero people on their predicted bench for the foreseeable future who are remotely electable. Biden being the only "electable option" they have and him being as deeply unpopular as he is is... telling for me.

Whitmer is going to miss her opportunity. 2028 is her year to run, but she would need to run against Kamala who pretty much has the nomination on lock. Her only hope is that Kamala will not seek the nomination. 

I guess she could run in 2032, but it is probably about time the US picks a 2 term republican. Unless Trump runs in 2028 and gives Kamala the presidency :gaycat3:

Kamala does NOT win against Trump, or anyone. She’d lose to Marjorie Taylor Greene, BYE :ahh: 

What is this?? :rip: This sooo sounds like somebody used an AI.

46 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Kamala does NOT win against Trump, or anyone. She’d lose to Marjorie Taylor Greene, BYE :ahh: 

Harris is a run of the mill flip flopping politician. She’s not uniquely awful. I don’t really have anything positive to say about her, but she is as equally bland and forgettable as most VPs in US history. 
She could potentially beat Trump head to head in 2028 if he lost 2 presidential elections in a row. She could also beat an awful candidate like MTG. Of course this is extremely hypothetical. Let’s see what happens in 2024 

16 minutes ago, Vroom Vroom said:

Harris is a run of the mill flip flopping politician. She’s not uniquely awful. I don’t really have anything positive to say about her, but she is as equally bland and forgettable as most VPs in US history. 
She could potentially beat Trump head to head in 2028 if he lost 2 presidential elections in a row. She could also beat an awful candidate like MTG. Of course this is extremely hypothetical. Let’s see what happens in 2024 

This is the same kind of drivel that comes out of anyone who thinks Pete could become president. It ain’t happening.

polling shows Trump beating Biden, who is 10-20 points higher in approval than Harris. It’s completely disconnected from reality to think that winning a general election is in the cards for any of these unlikeable and unelectable fools in the Democratic Party post-Biden. Harris is a sure fire loser. The only one who sucks more than her in that regard really is Pete.

4 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

This is the same kind of drivel that comes out of anyone who thinks Pete could become president. It ain’t happening.

polling shows Trump beating Biden, who is 10-20 points higher in approval than Harris. It’s completely disconnected from reality to think that winning a general election is in the cards for any of these unlikeable and unelectable fools in the Democratic Party post-Biden. Harris is a sure fire loser. The only one who sucks more than her in that regard really is Pete.

The actual candidate barely matters in our current two party system, unless they are a massive dumpster fire. Our general elections will continue to be close regardless of the candidates. Even a mega disaster candidate like Herschel Walker came close to winning a state wide election. 
You’re acting like the US has a history of electing likeable people. Have you seen the type of men the US continue to elect?

Biden giving the best SOTU I’ve heard since following in 2008 :rip: 

41 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

No reason to discuss polls in 2022 for 2024 or 2028 :rip: It’s braindead to do so. So much will happen and will change by then. 

55 minutes ago, Vroom Vroom said:

The actual candidate barely matters in our current two party system

Counterpoint: Hillary lost because she was Hillary.

26 minutes ago, MAKSIM said:

No reason to discuss polls in 2022 for 2024 or 2028 :rip: It’s braindead to do so. So much will happen and will change by then. 

Are you aware of what the current year is???

18 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Counterpoint: Hillary lost because she was Hillary.

I’m sure that made up 10%-15% of the reason she lost. It was more that dems took the Midwest for granted while Trump gave them more attention. 

It was interesting seeing Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania going Trump for 2016 and then immediately switching back in 2020. 

Are there any good books/articles that fully explain why/how this happened? 

39 minutes ago, Vroom Vroom said:

I’m sure that made up 10%-15% of the reason she lost. It was more that dems took the Midwest for granted while Trump gave them more attention. 

It was interesting seeing Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania going Trump for 2016 and then immediately switching back in 2020. 

They definitely thought those states were in the bag and didn’t do as much as they should’ve. 

it’s also funny how the dems are doing better than ever in Michigan and Pennsylvania 

The way Israel stans are just so intellectually dishonest with their arguments. :rip: 

If “paying off US politicians to support” causes was a crime, then lobbying would not exist. The Israel lobby is by far among the most well-funded on Capitol Hill. She also didn’t say anything generalized about Jews, but she was specifically talking about the Israel lobby WHICH IS REAL AND IT EXISTS AND IT IS NOT ANTISEMITIC TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT.

Its clear that people who are mad at Omar for criticizing Israel are exactly the politicians who take  money from the Israel lobbyists and don’t want their finances scrutinized.

18 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

The way Israel stans are just so intellectually dishonest with their arguments. :rip: 

If “paying off US politicians to support” causes was a crime, then lobbying would not exist. The Israel lobby is by far among the most well-funded on Capitol Hill. She also didn’t say anything generalized about Jews, but she was specifically talking about the Israel lobby WHICH IS REAL AND IT EXISTS AND IT IS NOT ANTISEMITIC TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT.

Its clear that people who are mad at Omar for criticizing Israel are exactly the politicians who take  money from the Israel lobbyists and don’t want their finances scrutinized.

This whole discourse makes me lose my mind. :rip: I watched The View segment on this and they kept casually throwing out that Ilhan said "Jews" when she only ever mentioned AIPAC. :skull: Also, lobbying is legalized bribery, which should be a crime but isn't. If money didn't have an impact on what the government does, lobbying wouldn't be a thing, like that's the whole point of lobbying. It's also gross that people continue to conflate Jewish people and Israel as if there aren't plenty of Jewish people who take issue with both AIPAC and the right-wing Israeli government.

6 hours ago, Vroom Vroom said:

The actual candidate barely matters in our current two party syste

gty-hillary-clinton-concession-speech-04

4 hours ago, Vroom Vroom said:

Collapse in black turnout. NYT: Many in Milwaukee Neighborhood Didn’t Vote — and Don’t Regret It

Zero doubt in my mind that the US did it. :michael: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.