2024 US Election Megathread ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ›๏ธ

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore.ย 
ย 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone.ย 

5 minutes ago, Bloo said:

I'd like him to cancel all student debt (no, I fortunately don't have student debt myself, so try avoid that come-back).

ย 

Democrats' incessant obsession with decorum, civility, and being nice with Republicans is costing us all.

Same. I paid mine off finally in December 2021 and I still want everyone else's debt forgiven.

Agreed. This constant cosplaying that real-life is like the scripted series 'The West Wing' is buffoonish.ย 

• Replies 20.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• ClashAndBurn

• GhostBox

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

• ATRL Moderator
12 minutes ago, slik said:

Same. I paid mine off finally in December 2021 and I still want everyone else's debt forgiven.

Agreed. This constant cosplaying that real-life is like the scripted series 'The West Wing' is buffoonish.ย 

I was blessed to get essentially a full-ride for undergrad. My PhD was fully-funded (which isn't too uncommon, fortunately). But, for me, I just deeply believe in education. Even if you get a degree in a program seen as "unmarketable" and end up working as a coffee shop barista, I still think that is aย goodย investment in America. College is the first time in your life when you can more easily meet people from different backgrounds (e.g., different states, different races, different languages, different countries). As a very diverse country, we would benefit so much culturally if Americans got that basic experience of interacting around people that aren't from the same hometown as theme. Research has shown, empirically, that positive interactions with people different from yourself is one of the most effective ways to combat racism, bigotry, etc. It helps people see others as humans rather than inflated caricatures, latent with stereotypes, you see in the media. Additionally, college does a better job of helping people gain critical thinking.

ย 

Since centrist Democratic voters love to push the "education requirement" talking point for being able to vote, you'd think they would support having a more educated society would be a noteworthy investment. But apparently not.

ย 

In no way do I think everyone should go to college (though, I personally wouldn't be against it if people so chose to do so). College isn't everyone's path. But I do think a lot of people can benefit from it. But we don't allow that because it's so costly and inhibitive. Further, we have no way of knowing how directly our economy would improve if people went to college. You could get a degree in underwater basketweaving that may lead you to meet people that help you come up with an idea for a business that is successful and creates jobs. There's no linear path to wealth generation. So you can't just write off non-STEM education as a waste (e.g., the infamous TERF J. K. Rowling majored in Classics).ย 

ย 

tl;dr, a more educated society is a net good and allowing people the opportunity to choose to go to college regardless of financial support is a net good to society. It's a much better investment than tax cuts to the rich or bombing people overseas.

ย 

/rant over

Nearly all Democrats are bought and paid-for. Itโ€™s very literally the entire point, purpose, and function of the modern American political system. The rhetorical kid gloves with which one ruling class party handles the more overtly fascist, opposing ruling class party are also part of the clown show song and dance going on. These arenโ€™t people who are unaware that they have the capacity and authority to govern, theyโ€™re people who refuse to do so - or more accurately, whoย areย governing exactly the way they intend to govern.

5 hours ago, Vroom Vroom said:

It is honestly a little remarkable that Biden was able to get the infrastructure bill passed. Not passing the BBB bill was a massive failure, but it is extremely difficult to get anything passed with such small margins in the house and senate. I donโ€™t really see how any other dem would of done better than Biden with the hand he was dealt. He does deserve all the criticism he is receiving, thatโ€™s part of the job. It will be interesting to see if Republicans actually try to impeach him, it does not seem necessary and could potentially hurt them politically. High gas prices are doing way more damage to Biden than a politically motivated impeachment would.ย 

2024 will most likely be a boring election year. With Trump repeatedly whining and mumbling about how the 2020 election was โ€œstolenโ€ from him and Biden struggling to make full coherent sentences (he was relatively clear in 2020, but he has been getting worse and worse). Biden would most likely pull through against Trump. Trump is always his own greatest enemy and will make himself as toxic as possible by the end of the election cycle. Unless he actually learns from past mistakes and tones down his rhetoric, which is unlikely. If Biden does not run because of poor health, I have no clue who would replace him. The DNC is probably preping Hillaryโ€™s campaign as we speakย 

Given how the infrastructure bill served as a corporate giveaway, itโ€™s not really hard to see why it was allowed to be the only thing of substance that was passed.

ย 

People are more mad at Biden over gas prices and inflation than they were at Trump over enabling white supremacist lunatics in Charlottesville. His whole presidency is going to be dragged down by this, and itโ€™s doubtful that the economic pressures let up for Biden to get re-elected. Things are so dire, people are nostalgic for Trump for godsโ€™ sakes. :skull:ย 

also twitter as we know it is probably over if elon musk takes it over

JUST CANCEL THE ******* DEBT!!!!

YOU'RE DOWN NEARLY 40 POINTS WITH MILLENNIALS!!!!

ย 

britney_criminal.gif

ย 

3 minutes ago, Bethenny Frankel said:

also twitter as we know it is probably over if elon musk takes it over

Maybe Twitter shouldn't have editorialized itself by arbitrarily banning Trump and keeping the Taliban, then. :michael:ย 

ย 

Keep in mind, what he was banned for will be completely swept under the rug once Democrats lose the House and the Jan. 6 Committee gets dissolved.

ย 

And frankly, if he's running as a presidential candidate next year, he shouldn't be kept off the platform anyway, or Twitter (and Facebook for that matter) would potentially be liable for election interference.

• ATRL Moderator

Still holding out hope that Biden is just waiting closer to the midterms to cancel student loans and decriminalize/legalize marijuana :clown:

5 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Still holding out hope that Biden is just waiting closer to the midterms to cancel student loans and decriminalize/legalize marijuana :clown:

Nah, it'll be "We'll do these things for you legislatively if you give us more Democrats in Congress!", knowing the 99.9% likely outcome, and then throwing up their hands after the election and preaching at us about how we didn't vote hard enough.

I dont understand why it's on Biden to boost Congress. Like....the congress can pass bills WITHOUT Biden's instructions...and send stuff to his desk....thats a dumb scape goat sometimes from the congress. Biden is trash but its not like Congress cant try and UNIFY and pass bills to help themselves but as others have said theyre likely not interested in delivering for people...which leads to anger and apathy towards the members who DO care because for some reason all factions of the Dem umbrella will blame them.ย 

44 minutes ago, Antonini said:

Like....the congress can pass bills WITHOUT Biden's instructions

Joe Manchin has made it clear he is not going to pass anything that doesn't have at least 10 Republican votes.

ย 

What is going to get 10 Republican votes? What do you think is even on the table right now? Democrats have nothing to do for the next 6 months while they wait anxiously to see how many House and Senate seats they will possibly lose in the Midterms. They won't be gaining anything, and they certainly won't have anything to look forward to next year other than defending Biden during impeachment proceedings when the Republican majorities go after him over his idiot failson's laptop.

Why Democrats possess an inherent NEED to cling on to mentally declining politicians (some of whom, like Feinstein, lost it years ago), I have no idea.

ย 

She could have gracefully retired in 2018. But no.

• ATRL Moderator
7 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Why Democrats possess an inherent NEED to cling on to mentally declining politicians (some of whom, like Feinstein, lost it years ago), I have no idea.

ย 

I doย notย like Feinstein's politics at all. But the constant propping her up to stay in office makes me sad. Based on all the reports, it's clear she is having pretty notable cognitive decline. If you cared about her (as Nancy Pelosi claims to), wouldn't you rather her leave politics on a relatively positive note rather than have her last years in public life be centered around her apparent cognitive issues? It just doesn't feel considerate towards Feinstein as a person to not be honest about the situation.

27 minutes ago, Bloo said:

I doย notย like Feinstein's politics at all. But the constant propping her up to stay in office makes me sad. Based on all the reports, it's clear she is having pretty notable cognitive decline. If you cared about her (as Nancy Pelosi claims to), wouldn't you rather her leave politics on a relatively positive note rather than have her last years in public life be centered around her apparent cognitive issues? It just doesn't feel considerate towards Feinstein as a person to not be honest about the situation.

You are right, of course. It's also just very reminiscent of the discourse around RBG and her refusal to strategically retire. I know California's a state that Democrats can take for granted, but it might not be that way forever with how Latinos are swinging more towards Republicans, and Democrats in general are becoming more politically apathetic due to how disastrous the Biden Presidency has gone. She's going to run again in 2024, probably win after any progressive challengers are shouted down for being ageist, and then... honestly she's liable to die in office at a time when Newsom himself could be recalled again (for being a godawful governor who, let's face it, would probably deserve it) and get successfully replaced by a Republican. Honestly that was my fear with the recent recall given the thought that Larry Elder could haveย been in a position to replace Feinstein. But Democrats don't think about what's good for the country's future. They think about their power and wealth in the short term. That's why RBG could get away with being as selfish as she was and have a horde of "feminists" defend her decision.

19 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Maybe Twitter shouldn't have editorialized itself by arbitrarily banning Trump and keeping the Taliban, then. :michael:ย 

ย 

Keep in mind, what he was banned for will be completely swept under the rug once Democrats lose the House and the Jan. 6 Committee gets dissolved.

ย 

And frankly, if he's running as a presidential candidate next year, he shouldn't be kept off the platform anyway, or Twitter (and Facebook for that matter) would potentially be liable for election interference.

I don't think Republicans would have a case considering that Trump did not abide by Facebook or Twitter guidelines, candidates don't have to promote themselves on social media to campaign. Ultimately, it's up to the Facebook Oversight Board and the Twitter Executives if they want to allow someone on the platform, or ban them.

15 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

ย 

Feinstein should step down, but I just don't think it's realistic with her. I remember her vividly saying to students who were telling her about the Green New Deal that it was "not possible", I haven't been the biggest fan of Feinstein since. However on the contrary, Democrats need to push a LOT of money into Iowa, Grassley is going to be somewhat vulnerable for the same reasons (age). That could be one of the seats that could get flipped, since Dems are most likely going to lose at least a few Senate seats.

• ATRL Moderator
20 hours ago, Marvin said:

I think they'll decriminalize/legalize marijuana before midterms, but keep the student loans as an incentive to continue voting for Democrats in the "most important election of our lifetime!" :clown:ย 

ย 

Dems now pissing off unions being "how bigly can they **** up" shocker 443543543 of 2022.

If Biden cancels 50K of student loan. His first termโ€™s grade will be A. Except for the initial overspending which started this inflationary cycle.

ย 

I guess weโ€™ll never get anything done on immigration everโ€ฆ unless itโ€™s by a Republican which is even scarier.

On 4/15/2022 at 5:17 PM, Bloo said:

I don't think anyone is propping her up. She must be stubborn and not resigning. Most likely this is her last term. I don't want another election before 2024 though.

• ATRL Moderator
9 minutes ago, Monster Megamind said:

I don't think anyone is propping her up. She must be stubborn and not resigning. Most likely this is her last term. I don't want another election before 2024 though.

She is. Nancy Pelosi, for example, recently called any questions surrounding Feinstein's fitness to serve "unconscionable".

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/pelosi-responds-to-report-questioning-feinsteins-mental-fitness-to-serve/

5 minutes ago, Bloo said:

She is. Nancy Pelosi, for example, recently called any questions surrounding Feinstein's fitness to serve "unconscionable".

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/pelosi-responds-to-report-questioning-feinsteins-mental-fitness-to-serve/

Because that's bad optics. If she tells that Feinstein has dementia then she will be asked about Biden too. Also why should Pelosi be asked about a senator? That's none of her business.

6 minutes ago, Bloo said:

As well:

ย 

14 minutes ago, Monster Megamind said:

She is NOT going to retire willingly. The top priority is making sure that she keeps her Senate seat at all costs as the most conservative Democrat that California has to offer. Then she'll be replaced as nature takes its course by another anti-environment, anti-universal healthcare Democrat by Newsom or whomever else like how Harris (who is actually somewhat liberal on most issues, criminal justice record aside) got replaced by a piece of **** like Padilla.

ย 

There's a reason Pelosi is defending her even though she's very clearly lost her marbles and shouldn't be anywhere near public office.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.