Whitney's "I Wanna Dance" becomes highest female 80s certified song.

naval23

no surprise here, it instantly comes to mind when I think about the 80s. A legend!

no surprise here, it instantly comes to mind when I think about the 80s. A legend!

3 hours ago, brianc33710 said:

Well We Are The World went 4×Platinum in 1985, when the criteria for Platinum songs was 2 million, so for 8 million singles sold. After only having 2 Gold Singles in all of 1988 (neither of which actually reached the Top 10) The RIAA halved the requirements for Gold & Platinum in early 89. Salt N Peppas Push It #19 & M/A/R/R/S Pump Up The Volume #13 were 1988s only 2 Gold Singles. The Beach Boys Kokomo was the 1st platinum single after RIAA lowered the threshold & Tone Locs Wild Thing was the first multi-platinum song, 2×P, so Platinum by the old rules. 

8 million :deadbanana2:

Wow !  didn't know it was the 80s biggest female song :eek:

Anyone has a Top10 of highest certfied 80s female hits ?

Truly a timeless bop. Whitney is just an icon forever and always. Any and all flowers are deserved  :alexz::clap3::heart2:

1 hour ago, Mystic Boy said:

Anyone has a Top10 of highest certfied 80s female hits ?

These are the current top six.

In the United States only, as per SPS, all of these singles from the ‘80’s are either certified 2x platinum already or are 2x platinum plus eligible.

1) I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me): Whitney Houston 

2) Like A Virgin: Madonna

3) Crazy For You: Madonna

4) How Will I Know: Whitney Houston

5) Push It: Salt & Pepa

6) What’s Love Got To Do With It: Tina Turner

Female artists had a lot of big hits that decade, of course, but the male-lead songs (solo, group or otherwise) were relatively bigger sellers. Also, singles during the period had limited releases, and labels would often move onto an artists second single as quickly as they did the lead single which is why said songs spent less time atop the charts (Hot 100) and fell off rather quickly. Overall, there was a bigger emphasis on selling albums albeit some artists were simply stronger singles acts and vice versa. 

Michael Jackson was probably the biggest Pop act at selling both singles and albums. He had multiple platinum/double-platinum singles from “Thriller” in spite of the album itself selling millions, and that was virtually unheard of at the time. 

@GreatestLoveofAll

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto

9 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

In the United States only, as per SPS, all of these singles from the ‘80’s are either certified 2x platinum already or are 2x platinum plus eligible.

Female artists had a lot of big hits that decade, of course, but the male-lead songs (solo, group or otherwise) were relatively bigger sellers. Also, singles during the period had limited releases, and labels would often move onto an artists second single as quickly as they did the lead single which is why said songs spent less time atop the charts (Hot 100) and fell off rather quickly. Overall, there was a bigger emphasis on selling albums albeit some artists were simply stronger singles acts and vice versa. 

Michael Jackson was probably the biggest Pop act at selling both singles and albums. He had multiple platinum/double-platinum singles from “Thriller” in spite of the album itself selling millions, and that was virtually unheard of at the time. 

@GreatestLoveofAll

oh wow this is great! WLGTDWI is such a classic, my first 80s favorite. Ion know how michael and madonna did it- selling mutiple million selling singles and still having the top albums. Imagine the digital era took place during their primes :deadbanana2:

54 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

@GreatestLoveofAll

Like A Prayer as well:

Everyone in here forgetting that Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is the highest streamed female song from the 80s on all streaming services combined :dies:

It's probably eligible for higher certification than this song.

2 minutes ago, Hot Volcano said:

Everyone in here forgetting that Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is the highest streamed female song from the 80s on all streaming services combined :dies:

It's probably eligible for higher certification than this song.

well we can talk about cyndi's song when that happens!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.