Whitney's "I Wanna Dance" becomes highest female 80s certified song.

naval23

It got an upgrade from 3x platinum to 6x platinum (insane for an 80s song) to become the biggest certified female song of the 80s  :jonnycat:

6_big.png

WHITNEY HOUSTON    I WANNA DANCE WITH SOMEBODY (WHO LOVES ME)    January 21, 2022    ARISTA    SINGLE

742M Spotify streams :jonnycat:

327M YouTube Views :jonnycat:

8 weeks at #1 on the Hot 100 and European Hot 100 = global smasha :jonnycat:

One of the best songs of all-time for real - it's just so euphoric

Edited by naval23

WHAT

Diamond coming omgggggg

It is a Super Classic after all

probably her most popular song in my country,

What was the old most certified 80s song?

:clap3:

As someone from Asia, I'd wager this is the biggest 80s song bar Thriller and other MJ songs for us here. Some people may not know the full song but they for sure know 'oHHHH i wanna dance with somEBODY!' 

1 hour ago, Tylerbv said:

What was the old most certified 80s song?

The most certified 1980’s song in general is Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believing”.

It’s currently 8x platinum once you combine all metrics (minus the GLEE version).

•Physical: 2x Platinum

•Digital: 5x Platinum

•Mastertone (Ringtones): 1x Platinum

It was last updated as 5x platinum in 2014 in digital sales, however its eligible for 7x platinum in that respect now, with SPS, which makes it a Diamond-eligible single overall as of 2022.

After that, it’s Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” which is currently 7x Platinum when you combine all metrics.

•Physical: 1x Platinum

•Digital: 6x Platinum

•Mastertone (Ringtones): Gold

”Thriller” will probably surpass “DSB” in a few years, with SPS, given the boost it gets every year; Halloween. 

Among Females…

Houston’s “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” has been the highest certified 1980’s song in that respect for the past 20 years, at least. It was the first Female song from that era to be certified 2x platinum and then 3x platinum and now it’s 6x platinum. After this, it’s between Cindi Lauper’s “True Color’s” and Madonna’s “Like A Virgin”. 

It’s Better than any Madonna song there is. Only the queen of pop :clap3:

19 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

It’s currently 8x platinum once you combine all metrics (minus the GLEE version).

It was last updated as 5x platinum in 2014 in digital sales, however its eligible for 7x platinum in that respect now, with SPS, which makes it a Diamond-eligible single overall as of 2022.

After that, it’s Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” which is currently 7x Platinum when you combine all metrics.

”Thriller” will probably surpass “DSB” in a few years, with SPS, given the boost it gets every year; Halloween. 

Among Females…

Houston’s “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” has been the highest certified 1980’s song in that respect for the past 20 years, at least. It was the first Female song from that era to be certified 2x platinum and then 3x platinum and now it’s 6x platinum. After this, it’s between Cindi Lauper’s “True Color’s” and Madonna’s “Like A Virgin”. 

So unless there is a dark horse somewhere, its between Michael and Whitney for the first 80s diamond song?

Does she also own the 90s one? She really did have the biggest peaks for female artists. 

absolute legend 

13 minutes ago, GreatestLoveofAll said:

So unless there is a dark horse somewhere, its between Michael and Whitney for the first 80s diamond song?

Absolutely.

Unless Journey’s record label do a mass update of their songs/albums, which they haven’t done since 2014, whereas Houston and Jackson’s labels are more up to date, it’ll be between them as to who gets the first 80’s Diamond single. 

:jonny6:

I think it’ll be Jackson though, I think. 

”Thriller’s” stats keep climbing as you know. Also, expect a big boost for Jackson again later this year as “Thriller” (era) turns 40. 

:rip:

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto

4 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Absolutely.

Unless Journey’s record label do a mass update of their songs/albums, which they haven’t done since 2014, whereas Houston and Jackson’s labels are more up to date, it’ll be between them as to who gets the first 80’s Diamond single. 

:jonny6:

I think it’ll be Jackson though, I think. 

”Thriller’s” stats keep climbing as you know. Also, expect a big boost for Jackson again later this year as “Thriller” (era) turns 40. 

:rip:

either way it'll be deserved :clap3: do you actually think they'll make a big deal about it, the anniversary?

8 minutes ago, Mistah.Beyonce said:

Does she also own the 90s one? She really did have the biggest peaks for female artists. 

absolute legend 

She and Mariah for the 90s yes :clap3:

Just now, GreatestLoveofAll said:

either way it'll be deserved :clap3: do you actually think they'll make a big deal about it, the anniversary?

If his label doesn’t, the fans will, on social media, and I think that could then translate to the press. Jackson fans are ardent.

Also, there will be music blogs and publications (Pitchfork/Rolling Stones/All Music/NME etc) that will definitely write think-pieces for “Thriller” come Q4. 

However, Houston could get a boost too. “I Will Always Love You” and “The Bodyguard OST” turn 30. It’s also been a decade since Houston’s passing come February. :weeps:

7 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

If his label doesn’t, the fans will, on social media, and I think that could then translate to the press. Jackson fans are ardent.

Also, there will be music blogs and publications (Pitchfork/Rolling Stones/All Music/NME etc) that will definitely write think-pieces for “Thriller” come Q4. 

However, Houston could get a boost too. “I Will Always Love You” and “The Bodyguard OST” turn 30. It’s also been a decade since Houston’s passing come February. :weeps:

Well imma look forward to both! Its crazy how they reached they peaks within a decade of each other. I think if Whitney's biopic is even remotely successful, itll help alongside the anniversary. The fact that TBG is coming for 2x diamond is outrageous.

I didnt wanna think about that tbh, but yeah. I hope there will be nice articles giving her the respect and dignity her career deserves in February. 

3 hours ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Among Females…

All classics :clap3: 

4 hours ago, GreatestLoveofAll said:

Well We Are The World went 4×Platinum in 1985, when the criteria for Platinum songs was 2 million, so for 8 million singles sold. After only having 2 Gold Singles in all of 1988 (neither of which actually reached the Top 10) The RIAA halved the requirements for Gold & Platinum in early 89. Salt N Peppas Push It #19 & M/A/R/R/S Pump Up The Volume #13 were 1988s only 2 Gold Singles. The Beach Boys Kokomo was the 1st platinum single after RIAA lowered the threshold & Tone Locs Wild Thing was the first multi-platinum song, 2×P, so Platinum by the old rules. 

Her success in America during the late 80s and early 90s is truly unmatched. Like how can you have the biggest female song of each decade and still sell TONS of albums?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.