US Gov. to end daily COVID death reporting

Caesar

Wait, is this the same country that back then accused China of hiding their true death count by COVID? :ahh:

3 minutes ago, Literature said:

Hopefully Biden can save us from this mess Trump created  :biblio:

Considering Biden is the blue Trump (and more people died under Biden and in less time than under Trump), certainly not. 

6 minutes ago, bad guy said:

Still handling the pandemic horrendously. The blue Trump does it again :clap3:

"Trump bad, but it's okay when I do it!" :clap3:

So, as I suspected, the tweet in the OP has been debunked. This article explains the full context of the graph:

The tweet then said the US Department of Health and Human Services will no longer require hospitals to report daily COVID-19 deaths to the agency. That part is true, according to guidance recently issued by HHS, but it does not necessarily impact the daily COVID-19 death counts that the vast majority of people have been consulting throughout the pandemic, experts said.

Nearly 3,000 people had retweeted the tweet as of Friday evening. The tweet also racked up concerned replies, including one that said, "The US government doesn't want us to know how many of us are dying," which received more than 1,500 likes.

Experts chimed in to counter the idea that the US was no longer tracking COVID-19 deaths.

"Seriously this is so misleading, please stop spreading it," Erin Kissane, who cofounded The Atlantic's COVID Tracking Project, said in a tweet.

Kissane said the daily death counts most people are following, like the one maintained by The New York Times, do not rely on or use data from HHS. She said those counts use data compiled by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or from local and state health authorities directly.

"You will be seeing *exactly the same death counts* you saw before unless you're a very specialized data analyst," Kissane said.

Based on my understanding of the article, @Espresso this simply affects HHS, but COVID trackers mainly rely on the CDC or local agencies for reporting.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:59 PM, Taylena said:

Wait, is this the same country that back then accused China of hiding their true death count by COVID? :ahh:

The way that users are trying to hide behind "THE TWEET IS DEBUNKED!!! STATE GOVERNMENTS WILL STILL REPORT DATA!!!" as though half the states in the US are not run by the far-right who think COVID is fake. :toofunny3:

5 minutes ago, Communion said:

The way that users are trying to hide behind "THE TWEET IS DEBUNKED!!! STATE GOVERNMENTS WILL STILL REPORT DATA!!!" as though half the states in the US are not run by the far-right who think COVID is fake. :toofunny3:

States already weren't reporting data regardless of the change, the most egregious being Florida. What are you proposing to fix that? Fines? Arrests?

If you want to address the points raised in the Covid thread on this we can to unpack this instead of this passive aggressive drive-by but you and I have already interacted regarding my feelings towards Biden's handling of it which you've already seen me criticize heavily. 

I've already reported this thread for the record. 

1 minute ago, Espresso said:

States already weren't reporting data regardless of the change, the most egregious being Florida. What are you proposing to fix that? Fines? Arrests?

Are you suggesting these reasonable solutions in any sane society are... bad?

Let alone, you posted this very tweet minutes ago elsewhere showing that the HHS data - which we're losing - made-up for where the state data was lagging behind, which is the point:

It's completely hypocritical for the US as a nation to cast doubt on other nations' numbers for geopolitical clout while doing everything possible to obscure the reality of COVID on the ground. It's also disingenuous for the defense of America's actions to essentially be "well no that's not what they're TECHNICALLY doing" that can only be said through ignoring the reality of how these actions will be implemented in reality.

It's like people defending the CDC's changed isolation guide, arguing that it technically wasn't the US government allowing companies to force sick employees back to work to spread infection, yet that's the reality of how it's gone. The government is meant to be authoritative. Instruction comes from the top-down. If the US federal loosens regulations and guidances, it does nothing but obfuscates the system and allows for corners to be cut.

And in a pandemic, that means more needless deaths.

@CommunionI'm not discounting anything you just posted, especially not on the problematic timing delay, hypocrisy or how it'll be implemented in reality vs. their idealization of how it'll be applied. It's a problematic action. It's HHS, not the whole of government. The OP is without context. Much less egregious posts were getting closed left and right here about a year ago and I'm just looking for consistency from the mods that I'm not getting or at least further clarity I'm not getting either. Just for starters at least two mods here stated on the record fall of last year they're discouraging almost all Covid threads outside the sticky. It's honestly mostly housekeeping, not a policy dispute.

Just now, Espresso said:

@CommunionI'm not discounting anything you just posted, especially not on the problematic timing delay, hypocrisy or how it'll be implemented in reality vs. their idealization of how it'll be applied. It's a problematic action. It's HHS, not the whole of government. The OP is without context. Much less egregious posts were getting closed left and right here about a year ago and I'm just looking for consistency from the mods that I'm not getting or at least further clarity I'm not getting either. Just for starters at least two mods here stated on the record fall of last year they're discouraging almost all Covid threads outside the sticky. It's honestly mostly housekeeping, not a policy dispute.

I'm not the one who opened the thread, so this is all meaningless to me, because while the thread is open, I'll discuss within it the implication of the content. This isn't a "drive-by" unless you yourself have committed the egregious act of trying to discredit other nations' numbers, something no American really has a right to do.

Just now, Communion said:

I'm not the one who opened the thread, so this is all meaningless to me, because while the thread is open, I'll discuss within it the implication of the content. This isn't a "drive-by" unless you yourself have committed the egregious act of trying to discredit other nations' numbers, something no American really has a right to do.

Everyone's numbers are wrong in the context of excess deaths, where reporting systems globally need to be drastically reformed. I've always said as much.

There's been coverage of Putin burying numbers and the FSB throwing doctors out of windows to their deaths just as there's been reporting on DeSantis burying numbers in Florida and using their data scientist's other problems as cover to fire her. I've brought it all up and everything in between, including the struggle to cover deaths in rural India and Bolsonaro burying data too. 

Comparing whose worse is a race to the bottom. If the implication is that I've implied the States are "better" on reporting that's blatantly false.