Have you met someone who uses they/them outside of

Feather

Have you met someone who uses they/them as pronouns outside of the internet?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Have you met someone who uses they/them as pronouns outside of the internet?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you insert your pronouns on social media, emails, etc?

• Yes
    • No

I read an article the other day that spoke about how gender neutral pronouns are just a white people thing and it’s really just another white privilege. Has anyone ever met a black person who go by they - them? 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Feather

• Lana Banana

• John Slayne

• discotitzz

yes, the first person i had a date with uses "he/they" pronouns

1 minute ago, Thinking Of You said:

I read an article the other day that spoke about how gender neutral pronouns are just a white people thing and it’s really just another white privilege. Has anyone ever met a black person who go by they - them? 

:rip: Can you link the article? 

I'm from Brazil and no. 

I've never met anyone offline that uses gender neutral pronouns  for themselves nor i know someone outside stan twitter/here that put their pronoums at their bio for example, have never seen it. 

BUT the most famous queer night club from my city now have gender neutral bathrooms and DON'T HAVE ANYMORE masc or fem anymore, only gender neutral. 

I don't even utilize pronouns in conversations anymore bc LGBTQIA+ people where I am (a super liberal, leftist-leaning city) are so annoying about it. And I'm part of the same community. :rip: I'll just refer to them by name or use 'they' automatically. 

I don't understand people who feel the need to declare they go by '[cis pronoun]/they'. Like... pretty sure those are the only pronouns people will ever use for you, anyway. It's not like some special request or designation.:rip:

Edited by Ice Cream Skies

No. We're (the gay community) just trying to not get arrested/murdered. We don't have the privilege of being angry about pronouns that don't work in our native language.

No, english is not the only language in the world :rip:

In real life, I only know two people. One of them was in a club in college with me and went by they/them, and one of them is a friend from college who goes by he/him/they/them.

Yes I know ppl who do. 

I sometimes include pronouns on social media but not always 

21 minutes ago, Thinking Of You said:

Shea Coule :ninja:

No, but I avoid "queer spaces" and anyone who uses the words "queer," "spaces" or "queer spaces". Way too cringe and Gen-Z for me, sorrz.

I've met countless trans people though and even have some in my family. Funny enough, most of them just want to live their life and don't get involved in "queer spaces" either.

GIV2VYU.gif

Yes I've met a few people who go by they/them.

Quite a few people I work with have their pronouns in their email signature, so I've added mine now. They're also on my instagram.

44 minutes ago, Thinking Of You said:

I noticed that too, and noticed a lot of straight white females adding pronouns (and rarely see any straight guys using it).

yes, it's very common in queer spaces

some people at work put pronouns in their signature as well

1 hour ago, UseYourIllusion2002 said:

Yeah my current Language Arts Teacher and I accidentally referred to them as “she” earlier today and I thought I was going to get cancelled by my school :rip:  It was an accident though and I had just woke up. 

What is this bs of a generation. Jesus ****

50 minutes ago, Thinking Of You said:

literally the opposite is true :rip: historically it's white Westerners who have been imposing gender binary on the rest of the world. that's not to say all Western societies were all queer utopias, but gender non-conformity is hardly a white thing. if anything it's the opposite 

Yes. This feels a little shady. Keep in mind some people around you might not be using they/them pronouns because it would put them in danger.

57 minutes ago, Thinking Of You said:

I have. It’s definitely not a white people thing, but they definitely have different experiences with coming out.  What we need to be asking is why black people snd other POC are dismissed from queer spaces and conversations…how gross to assume it’s only a white person thing. 

No to both poll questions.

Personally, I feel that this is just an online thing. Most people don't care to be referring to others as "they" when it's seen as you are either a he or a she.

I feel like it will be a future fad that won't age well. Just my view.

1 hour ago, Beyonnaise said:

I'm acquaintances with one person who goes by she/they but everyone still calls her "she" and her girlfriend still calls her "girlfriend" not partner

So what is the point of them identifying as non-binary then? They are either a "they/them" or not, no? I ask in good faith.

I haven't put my pronouns on social media but I'm not opposed to it I've just never thought about doing it cuz I only just like occasional post /story on IG. And I only have close friend there for most part. If I were to follow even acquiances and etc sure I'd put it there I think. 

I did have a coworker for few months last year - haven't seen them in awhile, but they went by they/them. It sucked bc pretty much everyone disliked them bc they aren't good at the job. But it got uncomfortable for me that I'm glad if they quit bc the names people would call them and constantly correcting them when they'd say "her". A lot of my coworkers are just cishet hags that it was uncomfortable people venting, making fun of their pronouns to me, a cis but homo person almost every day. Eventually other coworkers like me got tired of it and would call out others for being obsessed with talking about this person so they shut up finally

1 hour ago, Thinking Of You said:

Has anyone ever met a black person who go by they - them? 

Yes, one of my close friends is a non-binary afro-brazilian person. There's definitely a historical (race/western) privilege to the conversation around being able to freely discuss gender identity, gender performance and language, but to label it as a 'white people thing' is not only inaccurate, but also a lazy take. 

OT - I personally know people that go by they/them, but I live in a non english-speaking country and the language here is gendered, so non-cis people where I live usually make sure to let you know they go by any gendered pronoun or just use neutral language. 

Yes, several people.

Some of you don’t have a social life or live in countries where queer people still get beaten, keep that in mind before saying it’s just an ‘online fad’

Edited by Last Boy on Earth