Is The Tipping Culture Out of Control?

Sergi91

I'm European and I do tip but not 15-20% like wtf....imagine going to a restaurant with multiple people, for instance going to dinner as a family of 4, having ordered around €200-250 in total and then tipping another €30-€50, most people here only make €95-€110 a day if they have a well paying job, some even less than €70-€85. You can't possibly expect people to tip such a proposterous amount of money. 

I only tip in restaurants or bars with good service but even then it's a normal amount ranging between 1-5 euros and most of the times it's just rounding up the total amount. (for example €81,40 and making it €85). Rarely the service is that good that you tip between €5-10. The rich tend to sometimes go to €5-15 euros. 

Edited by chester

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rihannabiggestfan

• Bussea

• MadonnasBoyfriend

• Sergi91

This happens in Canada too. Certain fast food places will give you the option to tip... I always feel bad selecting 0% but really I'm just ordering food like I would at McDonalds. So odd.

I will absolutely always tip servers and delivery drivers because I know they typically don't receive at least a minimum wage hourly and make most of their money off of tips.

But I never once thought to tip for things like my starbucks drinks. Should I be doing so? I guess I never thought to do so because I know  the baristas at my local one are all making at least $15+/hour. This came up in convo with my boyfriend recently and he thought it was weird that I didn't.

The guy made somewhat of a point (but even them some people do tip the cashier. If you don't want to just don't?), but the girl? Like it was really not that deep for you to sit up here and make a tik tok about it :deadbanana2:she sounds annoying as ****,  all she did was ask. Just say yes or not and keep it pushing. 

but that being said:

TiPpInG cUlTurE is not out of hand. My thing is, I always tip. Sometimes over the amount. I hate the whole "if you can't afford a tip, don't go out to eat!". Baby, if you can afford your meal, go wild. Just don't act like an ass to your server and act as if you're cool because you don't tip. I've seen so many people brag about not tipping and it's not the flex that you think it is. You're a literal loser bragging about being NASTY.  But to other people who don't tip for whatever reason, I don't get upset with them because it's basically taking the blame away from the restaurants/corporations that CAN pay you accordingly and onto consumers who probably just want a nice meal. I'm sick of the idea that poor people need to help poor people while rich people egg it on. I don't judge anyone who doesn't tip unless you're nasty about it. BUT People have bills and even though it would be nice for them to be paid accordingly, we're just not there yet. just leave the ******* tip and don't be an ******* about it lol. 

Edited by Bussea

What I find even weirder is that stores in the US don't display product prices with tax already included. Is this true? Cos mess. :biblio:

It's important to tip servers, delivery people, at the salon, but I don't see why I should be compelled to tip if I'm getting something at a register. If it's a big complicated order, sure. But why should I tip for someone to put a muffin in a paper bag? Do Starbucks workers not get paid proper hourly wages? :huh:

More power to people who tip whenever they can though.

3 hours ago, Bussea said:

just leave the ******* tip and don't be an ******* about it lol. 

200.gif

The customer also has bills to pay

Edited by MadonnasBoyfriend

5 minutes ago, MadonnasBoyfriend said:

200.gif

The customer also has bills. And that avi is very brave considering the new rules.

We get it, love. you said no multiple times and flaunted how you don't tip. Just say you're a broke loser and go instead of spamming the thread with your unnecessary ass responses :heart:

unknown.jpeg

DoNt tElL ADuLts wHat tO dO

tattles like a child 

Damn ma is it that serious :deadbanana2:

EDIT; not you editing your first post and deleting the second post :dies:

Edited by Bussea

Where I live you already pay for service in most places (1 to 2 Euros usually), so I don’t tip. I have tipped maybe 5 times in total in my life and that’s of my own volition because the service was exceptionally good.

It must be so stressful being pressured by social norms to tip even if you can’t really afford it just to not look stingy. On top of that, tipping fuels the machine that keeps minimum wages low (or completely inexistent). The responsibility for people’s incomes should be on the employer’s shoulders, not the client’s.

Tipping is really one of the weirdest things about US culture 

that ugly ***** needs to shut her ass up is what she ought to do

- a tipped worker

Unless there’s food delivered to my door I don’t tip. I refuse to pay for what the restaurant owner should be paying. If people stopped tipping this system would stop being “normalized” (see Japan and Europe).

On 1/5/2022 at 10:37 PM, Tropez said:

Only in the US* 

Other countries tend to pay people a living wage. 

Not the first comment. :ahh: 

On 1/14/2022 at 12:41 AM, FOCK said:

What I find even weirder is that stores in the US don't display product prices with tax already included. Is this true? Cos mess. :biblio:

Yes, and it's like that in Canada as well.

On 1/14/2022 at 1:44 AM, Bussea said:

unknown.jpeg

tattles like a child 

:deadbanana4:

On 1/13/2022 at 10:44 PM, Bussea said:

unknown.jpeg

tattles like a child 

:deadbanana4:

On 1/5/2022 at 5:42 PM, discosean said:

If you can't be bothered to tip, don't go to such establishments. Learn how to make your own drinks, food, grow your own weed, etc.

stfu

On 1/14/2022 at 1:27 AM, Bussea said:

We get it, love. you said no multiple times and flaunted how you don't tip. Just say you're a broke loser and go instead of spamming the thread with your unnecessary ass responses :heart:

On 1/14/2022 at 1:44 AM, Bussea said:

unknown.jpeg

tattles like a child 

What the hell?! :deadbanana4:

Just about every food/beverage establishment I go to now asks for a tip :deadbanana: It definitely wasn't like that before the pandemic. My conscience won't let me walk away without tipping :gaycat6:

Reading some of the stories on Reddit I agree it’s wrong to not tip the delivery driver when ordering an order over 150 :mazen:

I tip based on their service. 

I get why you have to tip in USA cause for some reason people can hire someone on like a $2 wage which is just ridiculous. Just PAY a guaranteed living wage, and price the food accordingly. If people can't afford to pay the actual cost of food and labour, then so be it.

We usually tip the 10-15% on my country depending on the quality of service. I had a similar experience like the girl in the drive thru  but with a food truck:rip: