? WISH | Best Songs of 2021 | Finished

wish

50 songs. 1 song per artist. :heart2: 

I never usually do these but I had time today :heart2: I'm late but w/e

A lot of gr8 new music this year, so much that it got overwhelming at times lol. This list will be a decent representation of what I enjoyed this year, which was a mix of pop, alternative, R&B, and electronic

giphy.gif

First update coming in like a half hour, putting the list in order is the hardest part rn

giphy.gif

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wish

• JGibson

• TheWayWeWere

• Sunderland 4ever

#50 - #41

:heart2:

50. Beating, Tirzah

Genre: Alternative R&B, Minimal Wave

Super sparse and beautiful. This makes me wanna cry idk :weeps:

-

49. The Motto, Ava Max & Tiesto

Genre: Dance Pop, House

Infectious BOP omg. This better smash in 2022

-

48. Silk Chiffon, MUNA & Phoebe Bridgers

Genre: Pop Rock, Indie Pop

Late 00s Disney Channel vibes but make it lesbian and Salvation Army'd :heart2:

-

47. Jalouse, Ecco2k

Genre: Noise Pop, Indie Pop

Something different from Ecco2k. Didn't click with me as much as his last album but I def still enjoyed

-

46. Day I Die, DeathbyRomy

Genre: Alternative Pop, Pop Punk

Screamo pop?

-

45. Tell Em, Cochise & $NOT

Genre: Pop Rap, Trap

It's just a bop idk. That production :jonny5:

-

44. Lost in the Citadel, Lil Nas X

Genre: Pop Rock, Emo Pop

MONTERO is a mixed bag but I enjoyed him touching upon 00s emo/alt sounds on the album trax

-

43. Hot N Heavy, Jessie Ware

Genre: Dance Pop, Disco

Another slice of sexi funk from our favorite auntie :heart2:

-

42. Polly, Dora Jar

Genre: Indie Pop, Pop Rap

I have no idea who this girlie is but I thought this song had a lot of personality, a rly fun indie track

-

41. Have Mercy, Chlöe

Genre: Pop Rap, R&B

:WAP: this STAYS in my head

--

Next update comin soon :heart2: lmk ur thoughts

1 hour ago, dreamofyou said:

silk chiffon such a bop, nawt the write-up though:bibliahh:

excited for the full list

51 minutes ago, TheWayWeWere said:

Silk Chiffon is pure excellence :jonnycat:

Hot N Heavy :alexz: 

Have Mercy :jamming: 

Such an easy breezy beautiful track, the guitar reminds me so much of 7 Things by Miley but I love that about it :jonnycat:

2 hours ago, wish said:

Hot N Heavy, Jessie Ware

Nice one. :cool:

#40 to #31

40. Scissorhands, Maggie Lindemann

Genre: Emo Pop, Pop Punk

the singer of that Pretty Girl song (not the Clairo one) went emo and it's kinda cute?? much better route for her I fear

-

39. Soft Spot, piri & Tommy Villiers

Genre: Dance Pop, Drum & Bass

Drum & Bass is trickling into pop music more and more every year & I'm here for it. This is a b0p :katie2:

-

38. Bunny Is A Rider, Caroline Polachek

Genre: Alternative Pop, R&B

I'm a really big fan of Caroline Polachek & Pang was my most played album of 2019 (yes more than WWAFA :eli:). So this is a MODEST rating for me. Seems like she's trying to pander to Hot 100 trends but it doesn't come off as a natural, effortless fit. Nonetheless, it's still a very cute bop & I love the concept of the track.

-

37. Bite Me, Avril Lavigne

Genre: Pop Punk, Emo Pop

I fully expected this to be another dud from Avril (not a fan of her last two albums at awlll) but this kinda hits? She quite easily found her place in the 2021 landscape with this cute comeback single

-

36. TRUST!, JPEGMAFIA

Genre: Alternative Hip-Hop (idk?)

I'm not much of a hip-hop head so I never gave JPEGMAFIA too much thought until recently. But he has a fresh Electronic take on the sound that I really appreciate. This is my initial fave from his new alberm but it's subject to change

-

35. On A Mountain, Danny L Harle

Genre: Drum & Bass, Vocal Trance

This is a slapperrrr. I will always love me sum Huge Danny and I wasn't disappointed by his work this year. What a gorgeous and euphoric track - the last minute takes me somewhere ELSE :jonny:

-

34. Pick Up Your Feelings, Jazmine Sullivan

Genre: Neo-Soul, R&B

The way I've stanned Jazmine Sullivan since like third grade when my mom would overplay Bust Your Windows & Need U Bad in the car dskfjsdjk, anyways I'm so glad she's still making quality music and has finally made a bigger impact with critics. This is my fave song on the new album :heart2: instant classique

-

33. Homeswitcher, ditzk

Genre: Hyperpop

Hyperpop is a big fuckin mixed bag, there's a lot of garbage but there's also quite a few gems that actually make u feel something. This is one of those tracks, there's so much passion in the midst of the chaos. angsty bop, whew they snapped :eek:

-

32. Wild Side, Normani & Cardi B

Genre: R&B

This makes me feel sexyyy & the video was a COLLAPSE. Normani really sets a scene here and I'm excited for her future material (if she ever fuckin drops it :biblio:). Personally Cardi detracts from the song - this would have been even better if Normani gave us her own rap verse that fits the sultry, atmospheric vibe of the track, rather than the raunchy growl of Cardi's verse.

-

31. Robber, The Weather Station

Genre: Art Pop

It's so lush & cozy until it really goes somewhere halfway into the track. There's a real push & pull with the instrumentation and it's niiice. Absolutely adore this jazzy mid-80s vibe. The strings & sax go AWF. Gorgeous gorgeous record

---

merry xmas eve & happy holidays to anyone reading :heart2:

2 hours ago, wish said:

34. Pick Up Your Feelings, Jazmine Sullivan

My fave off the last set. :beatfreak:

Some great picks here!

The Motto, Lost in the Citadel, Hot N Heavy,  & Have Mercy :WAP:

Bite me is a bop!! Avril really did things right with her comeback single, probably the best she's released since her Self-titled era :hippo:

Silk Chiffon + Bite Me + Bunny Is A Rider :worship:

The Motto and Hot N Heavy are bangers :katie2:

Have Mercy and Wild Side are some of the few R&B songs I enjoyed this year :clap3:

Bite Me is also such a bop! I'm happy that Avril is back to carefree pop-rock music and can't wait for her album.

Wild Side is decent. Bunny Is a Rider & Bite Me, 2 growers side-by-side :jamming: Have Mercy was a nice start for Chloe's solo career. Hot N Heavy :sats: Silk Chiffon yesss :worship::worship: Happy holidays!

Wild Side is perfect for her, I hope she's not going to disappear once again :rip: 

Pick Up your Feelings is classic already :jonny:

Bunny :clap3: 

Notchu posting twice then DIPPED

cmon post the 1. Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever with some essay about how ambient neo soul city pop'd the song is get IT over with

tumblr_nx80i8BMNw1sj0oe0o6_250.gif

The Motto + Scissorhands + Bite Me :heart:

Spoiler
On 12/24/2021 at 10:07 AM, dangerousalex said:

Hot N Heavy, Have Mercy, Pick Up Your Feelings, Wild Side

dangerousalex

Yup! Stay tuned for Doja

dangerousalex

On 12/24/2021 at 12:16 PM, Sunderland 4ever said:

My fave off the last set. :beatfreak:

Jazmine Sullivan queen of R&B :heart2:

On 12/24/2021 at 12:58 PM, TalkThatRihanna said:

Some great picks here!

The Motto, Lost in the Citadel, Hot N Heavy,  & Have Mercy :WAP:

Montero kinda snapped on some of these album tracks didn't he? :WAP:

On 12/24/2021 at 1:23 PM, Mr. Loco said:

Bite me is a bop!! Avril really did things right with her comeback single, probably the best she's released since her Self-titled era :hippo:

Mte! I can see it becoming her biggest hit in a while :celestial4:

On 12/24/2021 at 4:29 PM, JGibson said:

Silk Chiffon + Bite Me + Bunny Is A Rider :worship:

TASTE

On 12/24/2021 at 4:58 PM, Moonlightbae said:

The Motto and Hot N Heavy are bangers :katie2:

Have Mercy and Wild Side are some of the few R&B songs I enjoyed this year :clap3:

Bite Me is also such a bop! I'm happy that Avril is back to carefree pop-rock music and can't wait for her album.

Yes! Agreed on Avril :heart2:

On 12/24/2021 at 11:22 PM, Remmy said:

Wild Side is decent. Bunny Is a Rider & Bite Me, 2 growers side-by-side :jamming: Have Mercy was a nice start for Chloe's solo career. Hot N Heavy :sats: Silk Chiffon yesss :worship::worship: Happy holidays!

Taste! Silk Chiffon is so immaculate i-

On 12/25/2021 at 12:43 AM, Lazuli said:

bunny, bite me, wild side and robber :heart: 

Stan Robber omg. So glad I came across it :heart:

On 12/25/2021 at 8:04 AM, TheWayWeWere said:

Wild Side is perfect for her, I hope she's not going to disappear once again :rip: 

Pick Up your Feelings is classic already :jonny:

Bunny :clap3: 

Agreed on Normani, we need a new single like 3 months ago :deadbanana4:

21 hours ago, Post Malone said:

Notchu posting twice then DIPPED

cmon post the 1. Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever with some essay about how ambient neo soul city pop'd the song is get IT over with

tumblr_nx80i8BMNw1sj0oe0o6_250.gif

Notchu PERCHED in my thread 

billie-eilish-is-fucking-OVER.thumb.gif.

HTE (song) is none of those genres but stay tuned 

16 hours ago, Sempiternal said:

The Motto + Scissorhands + Bite Me :heart:

Yesss Scissorhands! Miss Lindemann came through. The production & the little scraping metal sounds jsdfksdj

thanks for the comments :heart2: posting the next batch very soon

Hi thanks for checking out my Best of! 

LOOOVE Have mercy, I just ranked it as well, massive earworm

Also rlly like Pick Up ur feelings & Wild side:clap3:

#30 to #21

30. Follow The White Rabbit, Madison Beer 

Genre: Alternative Pop, Electropop

Madison is a gorgeous girl but I fear her music & talent is underestimated seemingly for that very reason lol. A lot of people have counted her out. But I see big potential here, she is a dark pop diva with great vocal capabilities and this track is proof that she's cooler than people give her credit for. The chorus SLAPS, these drums?? Praying she goes even deeper with this sound experimentation (& works on her lyrics a bit ki)

-

29. Señorita, Arca

Genre: Experimental Hip Hop, Industrial Hip Hop

Arca is an artist whom I greatly admire - she is an incredible producer, a one-of-a-kind creative mind. Her presence in the music industry is quite important & I'm confident in her ability to push things forward. With that said, I find a lot of her music impenetrable and at times, off-putting. While the new Kicks haven't fully clicked with me yet, there are select tracks that hit hard. This HIT is a great example.

-

28. Deja Vu, Olivia Rodrigo

Genre: Alternative Pop

By far the most unique and interesting song in Olivia's catalogue up to this point. Love the touch of grittiness in the drums & synths and how well they contrast with the dreamy first verse. It's well written, well produced, and her vocals are emotive enough to sell the story. Hoping she continues down this route. 

-

27. Only Seeing God When I Come, Sega Bodega

Genre: UK Garage, Ambient Pop

This is quite a pretty & intimately written electronic track. The production is ethereal and top notch (I'd expect nothing less from Sega Bodega). Something about that descending melody just repeating over and over again evokes feelings of hopelessness and surrender, especially when paired with the lyrics. Love this, it's probably his best solo song imo

-

26. Cologne, beabadobee

Genre: Indie Rock, Noise Pop

Beabadoobee comes through with a classic indie rock track. Everything is in its right place without sounding generic. The drums are perfectly punchy and I adore the guitar in the chorus. And that break HITSSS, ugh it's such a great catchy pop song while still pushing the boundaries sonically, which is definitely my brand. 

-

25. Thot Shit, Megan thee Stallion

Genre: Trap, Southern Hip Hop

One of Megan's best mainstream singles to date simply because she is being 100% authentically herself and not trying to pander to the charts. She absolutely shines on these verses, what a fucking talent. Megan throws her shots and the bars just roll off her tongue. She makes it look so easy.

-

24. BDE, Shygirl & slowthai

Genre: Alternative Hip Hop, UK Bass

So fucking hot. Shygirl said size matters and well, I can't disagree :keir: This is a rough, booming slutty club anthem that's one moment away from losing control. The good sis is HORNY and slowthai sounds more than ready to fulfill her need. In a perfect world, this would have been a Platinum record like WAP. 

-

23. Paprika, Japanese Breakfast

Genre: Chamber Pop, Indie Pop

Such a beautiful moment. This is the kind of timeless track that never loses its luster. I absolutely adore the melodies and arrangement of this. OAAAAAHHHHH it's a rush! :cries: Brilliant song with that bittersweet, nostalgic emotion that I'll always love. I'm also a sucker for a good orchestral moment. Yeah she snapped.

-

22. Telepatia, Kali Uchis

Genre: R&B, Neo-Soul

The album with this song dropped in 2020 but this is very much a 2021 single so I'm including it idc idc. Anyways I knew this song would be a hit for her, my mind... This single is lush & lavish. Very warm, inviting vibes. Effortlessly sexy. This just encapsulates all of Kali's biggest strengths, she rly won. One of the best hits of the year for sureeee

-

21. Boys At School, Spellling

Genre: Progressive Pop

Oh wow, let me just say Kate Bush would be PROUD. This 7 minute track is a sweeping piece of art, I haven't been in too much of an art pop/prog pop mood this year lol but this song definitely stands out. A gorgeous, theatrical single that speaks on Spellling's past of disillusionment and loneliness. Love the synths ahhh, such a cool track

--

Top 20 soon wheww

deja vu, Paprika and Boys at School :heart2:

2 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

deja vu, Paprika and Boys at School :heart2:

Yess I’m glad to hear someone else is into the Spellling track! :heart2: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.