[FINISHED] bestfiction's BEST OF 2021 | Albums #5-#1 (pg. 3)

bestfiction

Honorable Mentions ii

Róisín Murphy: Crooked Machine Album Review | Pitchfork

Róisín Murphy – Crooked Machine

Roisin Murphy’s transformational power truly knows no bounds. Her ability to make songs from almost decade ago still exciting and give them a new life, a new angle to look at is truly remarkable. This remix album is a great companion piece to the original Roisin Machine album, just like WYP Platinum, it goes is a clubbier direction, but songs take on new forms quite effortlessly, which is a testament to how masterfully they are crafted. Some of the tracks become more digestible compared to their original versions (Kingdom of Machines, Name Changer), others morph with some of the already existing remixes (Capable Rhythm, Less Is More). We Are The Law, a mashup of two of the finest songs on the original album, is an entrancing disco cut, sounding like something from Madonna’s Confessions On A Dancefloor. Lastly, the closer Hardcore Jealousy totally lives up to its title, being a hard dance number, stripping away most of the original’s theatrics.
Favorite tracks: We Are The Law, Hardcore Jealousy

Rebecca Black Was Here - Single by Rebecca Black | Spotify

Rebecca Black – Rebecca Black Was Here

It kinda makes sense for Rebecca to become a hyperpop artist, isn’t it? While hyperpop might become trite at this point for some, I feel like Rebecca’s take on it is refreshing enough, quite melodic and not gimmicky compared to, say, gecs or Dorian Electra. The biggest highlights here for me are Personal and NGL. Her recent collab with slayyyter was pretty solid too.
Favorite tracks: Personal, NGL

Revelación - Selena Gomez: Amazon.de: Musik-CDs & Vinyl

Selena Gomez – Revelación

A short fun EP by the Mexican Bjork :eli: Love that she’s still keeps her signature "zzz" style on tracks like De Una Vez or Buscando Amor. 
Favorite tracks: De Una Vez, Buscando Amor, Vicio

Kick ii“: Arca kündigt neues Album an – ByteFM Arca: KICK ii / KicK iii/ kick iiii (Kritik & Stream) - Musikexpress

Arca – KICK ii, kick iiii

The inferior kicks, but they still deserve some shoutout. I think KICK ii should’ve been a full experimental reggaeton album in the vein of its first half, but then after Arana it goes into a weird abstract direction… for no reason at all. And don’t get me started on the Sia song.

When it comes down to kick iiii, it is good, but not really my thing. I think kick iiiii does a better job at being her chill, relaxed album.
Favorite tracks

(ii) Prada, Tiro, Luna Llena, Lethargy
(iiii) Esuna, Xenomorphgirl, Alien Inside Lost Woman Found

Edited by bestfiction

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bestfiction

• Sunderland 4ever

• Alldeezy

• TheWayWeWere

The HMs part II is revealed now! It took me more time to get to this, since as usual I'm loaded with studies right before the holiday season :jonnycat:

Spoiler
On 12/16/2021 at 10:02 AM, Tinashegrande6 said:

I'd not listened to much Red Velvet before but Queendom was cute

Not gonna lie, I still don't know their discograhy that well but their Perfect Velvet album is very good, I suggest giving it a shot

On 12/16/2021 at 11:30 AM, TheWayWeWere said:

Deluxe Editions return is such a gift :jonny:

Platinum Edition is amazing :alexz:

I just wish Deluxe edtions weren't so phoned in for the most times. They just tack on some 3 new songs, remixes and maybe an old hit that suddenly went viral. Jessie really understood the assignment though!

On 12/16/2021 at 4:44 PM, BlackoutZone said:

This is a full spill, my exact thoughts on pretty much every release mentioned :clap3:

So let me focus on LOONA since their case is truly the most... annoying at this point. They had by far the most interesting background/story/concept of the whole group itself. The pre-debut stuff, the loonaverse, the unique sound and visuals, they were so fucking top notch and now we reached the point of them releasing straight up garbage I'm dragging other groups for :dancehall: The concepts seems long lost too since Jayden left the company. I need BBC to go bankrupt (cause how the fuck they still have money for this) and for SM to buy LOONA and secure better demos for them girls again..

On 12/18/2021 at 9:13 AM, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

All the honorable mentions are all slays :jonny5:

Also it's really obvious that BBC doesn't know what and how to handle LOONA after Jaden Jeong left in terms of music. The quality hasn't been the same and i'm 100% sure that they won't be continuing the those 3 sub-units that has already been established for them. But even then when Jaden as still in change, he wasn't a perfect job to promoted them either with them being "mysterious" or "the most unknown girl group" bullshit 

19 hours ago, K$Ellie said:

unfortunately Looza didn't deserve much more than an honorable mention this year :shakeno:

Sunmi and Red Velvet releases were cute enough, the Shygirl EP slapped tho :jonny2:

Yeah, on the one hand I understand that after all, LOONA exists to earn money and the girls just wanna make it big but their work before loonathelawsuit was really challenging the idea that kpop is merely a soulless, manifactured musical product and that it can be artistic and even make statements at times (Butterfly). That being said, I really don't understand how with such a vast pre-debut catalog BBC can't figure out that we want more of that. The biggest offence to me the part of PTT when Haseul pulls some gorgeous opera vocals and it's just buried underneath the noisy production :rip: 

On 12/18/2021 at 11:46 AM, Lazuli said:

queendom is a nice comeback though they could've done more, but at least there's pose :jonny5: 

wyp yaaas :clap3: 

The funniest part to me is that they picked the weakest track as the title track but oh well 

On 12/16/2021 at 12:04 PM, Insanity said:

Yesssss at WYP Platinum edition

:jonnycat: 

On 12/18/2021 at 10:27 PM, Sunderland 4ever said:

Yes! :jonny2:

Jessie truly delivered with WYP!

13 hours ago, Sempiternal said:

L00NA :heart:

If they don't step it up it might be their last appearance here :eli:

11 hours ago, D/X said:

Can't wait for the next part! :party:

It's here!

On 12/16/2021 at 6:50 PM, Sunderland 4ever said:

:katie2:

I keep thinking Rebecca Black is 15 when she's almost 25. I feel so old now. :jonny:

Crooked Machine was a bit difficult for me to listen :skull: 

Revelacion has some cute songs :fan: 

the inferior kicks nn you did not lie :fan: 

born yesterday is cute tho! 

Albums #20 - #16

Harlecore - Wikipedia

Danny L Harle

HARLECORE

PLAYING THE PIANO 
PLAYING THE PIANO
ALL DAY NIGHT ALL DAY NIGHT ALL DAY
PLAYING THE PIANO 
PLAYING THE PIANO
PLAYING THE PIANO 
PLAYING THE PIANO

This album is lowkey a mess, since it tries to stitch different aspects of Danny’s music, that don’t really blend in together that well… that being said, MC Boing tracks absolutely slap and DJ Danny’s “wholesome 00s dance music” tracks are compelling too. DJ Mayhem’s tracks felt that they weren’t pushed to the extreme as you’d expect and DJ Ocean… well it’s basically Pang voice memos.
Favorite tracks: Boing Beat, Piano Song, On A Mountain, Do You Remember

Sour - Olivia Rodrigo: Amazon.de: Musik-CDs & Vinyl

Olivia Rodrigo

Sour

Consider me buying into Olivia’s hype but I liked this record quite a bit! Olivia kidna wears her influences on her sleeve but she seems to know what makes her idols good. Also I’m always in for some pop rock Godvril influence. Production is pretty great most of the time, though I’ve got to admit that I don’t see the appeal of drivers license… at all. It’s too on the nose for me. Déjà vu deserved its success and hype I fear. 
Favorite tracks: brutal, déjà vu, good 4 u, jealousy jealousy

MONTERO [Explicit] von Lil Nas X bei Amazon Music - Amazon.de

Lil Nas X

MONTERO

I guess another album which hype I fell for. I really appreciate how Lil Nas X openly sings about being gay and makes it cool! I love his TikTok too. The album does feel one-dimensional at times but so far it works.
Favorite tracks: Montero (Call Me By Your Name), Dead Right Now, Industry Baby, That’s What I Want

Rochelle Jordan: Play With the Changes Album Review | Pitchfork

Rochelle Jordan

Play with the Changes

It’s giving me Take Me Apart (UK Bass version) and I’m loving it. But jokes aside, truly a lovely record in its own right.
Favorite tracks: Got Em, All Along, Dancing Elephants

Erika de Casier: Sensational Album Review | Pitchfork

Erika De Casier

Sensational

Wish I had more time with Play with the Changes and this album. I’ve never heard of Erika before but I really loved what I heard on this album. It’s full of lush R&B, the production is so soothing and comforting. Erika’s voice is so, so sweet. 
Favorite tracks: Drama, Polite, All You Talk About, Busy

Spoiler
On 12/23/2021 at 11:17 PM, Sunderland 4ever said:

I keep thinking Rebecca Black is 15 when she's almost 25. I feel so old now. :jonny:

ikr??

On 12/24/2021 at 1:58 AM, TheWayWeWere said:

Crooked Machine was a bit difficult for me to listen :skull: 

Revelacion has some cute songs :fan: 

I guess it was too avant garde for some people :eli:

On 12/25/2021 at 6:29 AM, Lazuli said:

the inferior kicks nn you did not lie :fan: 

born yesterday is cute tho! 

it wasn't shade! they're still pretty good albums, it's just the other 2 are much stronger

I really enjoyed SOUR :clap3: 

The HM being better than the actual chart :skull: 

Anyway, Rebecca really snapped :clap3: I never checked out Crooked Machine actually, but Roisin Machine is spectacular!

wtf is Revelacion doing here tho sis

harlecore :clap3:it was a pretty fun album, and piano song (& car song) is a catchy mess :dies:

i listened to lil nas x + olivia's albums in full a few times, but i've enjoyed their singles :jamming:

rebecca only making HMs :'( your favorites tho >>>

8 hours ago, bestfiction said:

jealousy jealousy

Underrated choice :clap3:

two Arca albums in the top 15 :jonny2: agree with the kick ii comments and favorites except Lethargy, Queer was robbed from iiii :weeps:

Sensational was stunning :clap3: Rochelle's album was great as well and I liked a few songs off of Sour and Montero :giraffe:

Albums #15 - #11

Tinashe – 333 (2021, 256 kbps, File) - Discogs

Tinashe

Honestly, I never cared about Tinashe before… like at all, Songs For You was a cute project for a minute, but this one is much more fleshed out. The songs are stronger, the flow of the album is more natural. Bouncin’ is an absolute gem, probably the best thing she’s put out after going indie. 
Favorite tracks: I Can See The Future, X Bouncin', Let Me Down Slowly, Pasadena

Garbage – No Gods No Masters (Album Review) – Wall Of Sound

Garbage

No Gods No Masters

No Gods No Masters is arguably Garbage’s strongest project in 20 years. After delivering 3 outstanding records in late 90s, they fell off but with each records, they keep returning to form. While the frontwoman of the band Shirley Manson has always been quite progressive and outspoken (look up Androgyny… they said trans rights before virtually everyone else!!), this album is Garbage at their most political. While some of the commentary felt a bit too on the nose (The Men Who Rule The World), the album is very engaging and energetic otherwise.
Favorite tracks: The Creeps, Wolves, Waiting For God, No Gods No Masters

An Evening with Silk Sonic - Wikipedia

Silk Sonic

An Evening with...

Funky fun!!!
Favorite tracks: Leave the Door Open, After Last Night, Smokin Out The Window, Skate

kiCK iiiii - Album by Arca | Spotify

Arca

kiCK iiiii

The last of the kicks finds Arca at her most subtle, and is such a nice way to finish the series. It’s also a very cool artistic flex from someone as maximalist as Arca to reduce her music to its very core, incorporate classical instrumentation and deliver such greatness. 
Favorite tracks: Estrogen, Ehter, Sanctuary, Fireprayer

Lana Del Rey – Chemtrails Over The Country Club (2021, Red, Vinyl) - Discogs 8fmU01v.jpg

Lana Del Rey

Chemtrails Over The Country Club / Blue Banisters

Lana’s new releases feel so… liberating. She described their predecessor NFR as something that was “cool to root for” and it was indeed very grand. These two albums strip away most of this epicness. Lana’s approach to bring up the songs that were lying in her vault is also quite commendable (if only she remastered them right…). I’d say that out of the two Blue Banisters is a stronger, more consistent record, that focuses on her songwriting the most, which is especially apparent on the title track and Arcadia. I also really dig the closer Sweet Carolina with how comforting it is, I really appreciate wholesome Lana. Chemtrails does have some gorgeous highlights but closer to the end it loses its steam and as much as I love Weyes Blood, her and other collaborators don’t really contribute much.
Favorite tracks
Chemtrails: White Dress, Chemtrails Over The Country Club, Wild At Heart, Dark But Just A Game
Blue Banisters: Blue Banisters, Arcadia, Dealer, Thunder, Sweet Carolina

Edited by bestfiction

oh this tasteeeeee but i knew you would deliver :duca: 

Tinashe and Lil Nas X :ihype:

Garbage :worship:

8 hours ago, bestfiction said:

An Evening with Silk Sonic - Wikipedia

Silk Sonic

An Evening with...

Awesome choice :katie2:

333 :party: 

NGNM is their best album in YEARS :jonny5: 

Chemtrails deserved top 10 spot :fan: 

Rebecca Black Was Here, Arca's installments, Harlecore, SOUR, MONTERO, Sensational & Silk Sonic getting their acclaim :jonny5:

Honestly Tinashe's albums during her record label era are all good, Joyride is really miss most of the time but it's just a fun little album. But i agree that her indie era is more superior since she has her own ideas on it and it turns out well

On 12/24/2021 at 1:29 AM, bestfiction said:

Róisín Murphy: Crooked Machine Album Review | Pitchfork

Róisín Murphy – Crooked Machine

Roisin Murphy’s transformational power truly knows no bounds. Her ability to make songs from almost decade ago still exciting and give them a new life, a new angle to look at is truly remarkable. This remix album is a great companion piece to the original Roisin Machine album, just like WYP Platinum, it goes is a clubbier direction, but songs take on new forms quite effortlessly, which is a testament to how masterfully they are crafted. Some of the tracks become more digestible compared to their original versions (Kingdom of Machines, Name Changer), others morph with some of the already existing remixes (Capable Rhythm, Less Is More). We Are The Law, a mashup of two of the finest songs on the original album, is an entrancing disco cut, sounding like something from Madonna’s Confessions On A Dancefloor. Lastly, the closer Hardcore Jealousy totally lives up to its title, being a hard dance number, stripping away most of the original’s theatrics.
Favorite tracks: We Are The Law, Hardcore Jealousy

23 hours ago, bestfiction said:

Garbage – No Gods No Masters (Album Review) – Wall Of Sound

Garbage

No Gods No Masters

No Gods No Masters is arguably Garbage’s strongest project in 20 years. After delivering 3 outstanding records in late 90s, they fell off but with each records, they keep returning to form. While the frontwoman of the band Shirley Manson has always been quite progressive and outspoken (look up Androgyny… they said trans rights before virtually everyone else!!), this album is Garbage at their most political. While some of the commentary felt a bit too on the nose (The Men Who Rule The World), the album is very engaging and energetic otherwise.
Favorite tracks: The Creeps, Wolves, Waiting For God, No Gods No Masters

I totally forgot that they released an album this year :deadbanana4: I know that Crooked Machine is basically an remix album but the different more clubby version of Róisín Machine is kinda exciting tbh

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.