MP2K's Best of 2021: Top 100 Songs [#1 Pg. 5] 1.8.22 update

MP2K

Sup king!

Glad Isiah gave us some new heat. Loved the Spellling track but didn't spend too much time with the album and I actually really enjoyed the slowthai album (when it was all I had to listen to early 2021 :thing:)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MP2K

• TheWayWeWere

• Legend E

• Alldeezy

3ZIOE3F.jpg

Things are getting busy, so I will cut down on a few song commentary and graphics until we narrow down. Let's keep this going...

85. Sharon Van Etten & Angel Olsen, “Like I Used To”

84. BROCKHAMPTON, “BUZZCUT (feat. Danny Brown)”

Any BROCKHAMPTON release is going to make the cut, expect more! But I want to highlight the energy, delivery and unique presence Danny Brown brings to any track.

83. Mannequin P*ssy, “Control”

82. Tiwa Savage, “Somebody’s Son (feat. Brandy)”

This song just feels like self-love and self-care. An unexpected blend of R&B and Afrobeats, Brandy proves that her voice can do anything and ride any beat.

81. J. Cole, “m y . l i f e” (feat. 21 Savage)”

80. Djon, “The Dress”

79. Mariah the Scientist, “2 You”

I think this girl sucks overall, but cute song here.

78. Victoria Monet, “Coastin’”

Not her GREATEST work she's put out after her disco-roller skating efforts. However, still a bop on its own. Short and to the point, nothing to breakdown here. The beat is classic R&B inspired and Victoria can make a sexual metaphor out of anything and it still sound like the freshest thing in R&B right now.

77. Shygirl, “TASTY”

This song makes you wanna do some regrettable gay stuff in somebody's club bathroom.

76. MARINA, “Ancient Dreams In A Modern Land”

I like my Marina fast-paced, bold and femme! She delivered!

16 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

Sup king!

Glad Isiah gave us some new heat. Loved the Spellling track but didn't spend too much time with the album and I actually really enjoyed the slowthai album (when it was all I had to listen to early 2021 :thing:)

I want him to really deliver a classic one day. Everything is rather safe and he hasn't had his big breakout song. No "Man of the Year", no "King's Dead"

I didn't spend much time on her as well, don't feel bad. She needs a lot of attention and when you're in a mood honestly.

On 12/12/2021 at 12:01 PM, Remmy said:

noT a potential Best Of finale :'( but that 11 year idea is cute

Poker Face, Countdown, Let it Happen, Forgive Me dominating their years :clap3:

Hurricane is cute, definitely one of the better DONDA tracks. Beautiful Mistake :michael: Onto Me & Hazy are nice. Silk Chiffon :alexz: MUNA can't miss... they just can't miss.

Yeah, I'm getting older/more responsibilities with work. The CD probably won't even be so elaborate lol

On 12/13/2021 at 10:52 AM, Tsareena said:

I was really getting into Iyla last year but I suddenly found her voice too grating and kinda hate everything she puts out now :deadbanana:

boys at school, hazy, send me :heart:

:toofunny3: I don't see it but I respect it. She IS no Yebba though.

On 12/13/2021 at 4:22 PM, KasioKas said:

I actually just discovered this song today and i'm not familiar w/the artist but agree it's def a standout

Check out her song "Juice" and see if you would like to continue further.

On 12/12/2021 at 8:24 PM, Ewan Chaos said:

Can you calm down dkhsdlkashkldhsladhsd I fucking screamed!

Anyway lots of fantastic picks here. Boys at School, Silk Scizor, and Hurricane are my top 3.

Also... totally get the burnout thing. I still have been having fun with these but FUCK they are time consuming.

:gaycat2:

Who knows, I may cave in and get FOMO but I'm going to try to bow out the way works been going around this time of the year...woo!

On 12/12/2021 at 4:26 PM, BlackoutZone said:

I completely forgot Ungodly Hour got that little reissue :dies: I loved the OG album and those new songs were cute additions, but nothing I'd come back to a lot

I loved Hazy much better than 80/20 and was also disappointed that Megan was allegedly scrapped from it. I feel like it would have given it much more hype.

On 12/12/2021 at 1:59 PM, potent said:

Silk Chiffon is great, I’m kinda sad people are placing it so low lol

It's just missing that extra punch and I also discovered it much later. "I Know A Place" for example had a much bigger hold.

On 12/12/2021 at 8:03 AM, Lazuli said:

maroon 5 is not something i expected to see here :biblio2:

nyquil queen :skull: but tirzah snapped

silk chiffon is cute 

Same, I don't even care for "Girls Like You" and probably heard it twice, ever.

Hey, what can I say, she's an acquired taste lol but does it for me.

On 12/12/2021 at 7:31 AM, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

Oh wait Forgive Me b:clap3:eing #1 on last year's list TASTE :jonny5: I actually love Lil Baby and his part on Hurricane is so good i'm shoked

Silk Chiffon, Onto Me and Hazy prise wow  We all know Maroon 5 always relies on black artists these days. They should've kiss Megan feet after being on the only listenanble song on that album this year nnn

No lies told on Maroon 5, it's so evident. :deadbanana: But loved how Megan showed everyone she can venture into that world smoothly if she wanted to.

Victoria :clap3: Agreed, that track isn't her best by any means, but it's still fun!

I got tired of the J Cole album fast, haven’t gone back to that in a hot minute

Haven't heard any from this set. I gotta check some out

Victoria :alexz3: Spill tho, I thonk she just shines on this sound so I don't mind her continuing it

The Shygirl description so accurate nn

• ATRL Moderator

like I used to... love her. omg tiwa/ brandy. love their collab. not the mariah and the scientist shade... she has a great ear for samples

I'm into Control. I remember MP's 2019 album had some good tracks.

Edited by Sunderland 4ever

Coastin' :jamming::jamming: A nice, smooth jam and I prefer it over F.U.C.K. for sure.

Ancient Dreams is one of the highlights from her album, sounds like her classic already :clap3:

11 hours ago, MP2K said:

82. Tiwa Savage, “Somebody’s Son (feat. Brandy)”

This song just feels like self-love and self-care. An unexpected blend of R&B and Afrobeats, Brandy proves that her voice can do anything and ride any beat.

78. Victoria Monet, “Coastin’”

Not her GREATEST work she's put out after her disco-roller skating efforts. However, still a bop on its own. Short and to the point, nothing to breakdown here. The beat is classic R&B inspired and Victoria can make a sexual metaphor out of anything and it still sound like the freshest thing in R&B right now.

Brandy does no wrong :celestial4:It's a v.cute song

Didn't vibe w/Vic's song though

3ZIOE3F.jpg

I'll get to your countdowns once this booster shot mess wears off. :dancehall:

75. PinkPantheress, “Just for me”

Aw, ain’t this the cutest thing? Very 90s nostalgic. Thanks Tik Tok.

74. Tkay Maidza, “Syrup”

Yo! She’s one to watch out for, she slid. One of my favorite flows of the year and “Syrup” has such great instrumentation you would think Timbaland produced it. Such replay value and mother Azealia would be proud if she wasn't such a hating ass lun'

73. Drake, “Knife Talk (feat. 21 Savage & Project Pat)”

21 Savage and Project Pat carried! Love the inspiration and inclusion of Project Pat. That’s one thing Drake is going to do, pay homage to sounds he has no business pretending like it comes naturally. 21’s slow and rap style works perfect with Pat. Drake is the downside of things here.

=

72. Lorde, “Mood Ring”

What happened to you girl? This will do. Late night raining day vibes and sounds like it could fit right in the mid-90s radio.

71. Serpentwithfeet, “Heart Storm (feat. NAO)”

So touching, beautiful vocals and atmosphere this duo created here. NAO was once going to be an alternative girl you cared more about her interesting sounds, so we thought,  but she’s turning out to be more scaled back and truly showing she’s a vocalist amongst the crop.

70. Omar Apollo, “Kamikaze”

Frank Ocean's “Novacane”’s bisexual cousin. Literally a dupe instrumental but it’s good to see Omar be open about his sexuality and giving us some shock value/letting us into his life a little bit more.

69. Doja Cat, “Need to Know”

This took so-so long to grow on me. Doja did a wonderful blend of what she always does, rapping and singing her own melodies.

68. Charli XCX, “Good Ones”

Just when you thought mainstream pop sounding Charli was over, she said watch out Dua and the girls.. well Dua is the only one doing IT, so nvm.

67. Beach Bunny, “Blame Game”

66. BROCKHAMPTON, “DON’T SHOOT UP THE PARTY”

65. D-Nice & Kent Jones, “Not Plans for Love (feat. Ne-Yo)”

I discovered this while riding in a friend’s car and what a great find, we listen to it every time we're on the go. It’s has the typical Ne-Yo, Old School-MJ inspired formula, but it just works. A very “Uncle” and “Aunt” at the cookout type of song but it’s so good. More authentic than Silk Sonic who won't be touching this CD.

Mood Ring is such a vibe , I just can’t get enough of this song :alexz:

Good Ones :smitten:

Love the Brockhampton love! Buzzcut was a great single to get me interested after I completely ignored their previous album lol. DSUTP is great too :clap3: 

Surprised you don't fuck with Mariah the Scientist. Her debut EP was great imo (her album was meh but 2 You is dope so great pick there :duck: )

Agree with you with Coastin'. It doesn't reinvent the wheel but it's just an all around great track :katie2: 

I'm gonna give the Pantheress another spin cuz all y'all are gushing hard for her :thing: 

I fucked with the last Tkay project I checked out so I'll check her new one.

Love Kamikaze (even though it's a 2020 track dd, have you listened to Go Away?) :clap3: 

Need To Know should be higher!

Just For Me is so imprinted on my brain after spending too much time on tik tok :gaycat3:

Mood Ring is receiving so much love on this Best Of lists compared to other Lorde songs this year, but it was never my favorite, I'm trying to see what yall see..

Mood ring is now my favorite Lorde song of all time... didn't really care for the rest of the album tho 

Need to know is cute :eddie:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.