MP2K's Best of 2021: Top 100 Songs [#1 Pg. 5] 1.8.22 update

MP2K

3ZIOE3F.jpg

Here we are. I think I'll only have the capacity to go through the Top 100 Songs of 2021. Zero albums have had a hold on me but I generally don't have beef with this years in music. Those who follow, know that my taste changes all the time so you just won't know what will make the cut but I will say the indie rock girls, rap girls and R&B artists really carried this year.

This may be my final countdown as I've been doing this for 12 years :deadbanana: and getting burned out from this, so I may even push through to do a Best of the Best of countdown of my favorites from the last 11 years. I'm sure my taste and feelings on many songs along with new discoveries after my CDs would shift things up.

The Lists:

Previous Years #1s:

2009: Lady Gaga, "Poker Face" · 2010: Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, "Round and Round" · 2011: Beyonce, “Countdown” · 2012: Miguel, “Adorn” · 2013: Arcade Fire, “Reflektor” · 2014: FKA Twigs, “Two Weeks” · 2015: Tame Impala, "Let It Happen" · 2016: The 1975, “Somebody Else” · 2017: Sampha, “Plastic 100’C” · 2018: Ravyn Lenae, “Sticky” · 2019: FKA Twigs, “Cellophane” · 2020: Chloe x Halle, “Forgive Me” ·

Best of 2021: Top 100 Songs

Spoiler

TBA

Edited by MP2K

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MP2K

• TheWayWeWere

• Legend E

• Lazuli

:duca: keen

100-96

Qdp70Ff.png

100. Spoon, “The Hardest Cut”

The male rock boys didn’t really do it for me this year. However, I can count on Spoon.

99. Tirzah, “Send Me”

Nyquil Queen makes it her goal to never say too much but always delivers an atmospheric, lush vibe.

98. Kanye West, “Hurricane (feat. Lil Baby & The Weeknd)”

There were countless, bigger rappers even, that recorded their version for this record and Lil Baby ended up being the surprise finalized pick.

97. Dizzy Fae, “360 Baby

“My kisses are feminine!” This is like late 2000s dance-pop on steroids.

96. Isiah Rashaad, “Wut U Sed (feat. DOECHII & Kal Banx)

This was so close to being this years “Crew” but the melody/chorus just wasn’t strong enough. The biggest surprise here was DOECHII, a female alternative hip-hop artist from Tampa. Her verse here carried this.

95-91

Qdp70Ff.png

95. MUNA, “Silk Chiffon (feat. Phoebe Bridges)”

The girls are scissoring! and making earworm that you would only see on those early morning VH1 shows from the ‘00s.

94. Maroon 5, “Beautiful Mistake (feat. Megan Thee Stallion)”

I haven’t liked a Maroon 5 song in such a long time. While still formulaic like they usually are, this was more tolerable for me. Megan carried and surprised us here with a softer, left vulgar side, some diversity if you will. I like the contrast of the two artist you wouldn't think would work.

93. Cosha & Shygirl, “Lapdance from Asia”

Nothing but sleek mellow vibes here. Expect more of the two in this countdown.

92. Tkay Maidza (with UMI), “Onto Me

Tkay Maidza is one of the most underrated and multi-talented rap-singing girls to watch out for. If you heard only her rap-only songs the smooth like honey R&B cut “Onto Me” will surprise you for sure.

91. iyla, “Strings

iyla is a rising pop/R&B star that will surprise you by her soulful voice and how she approaches her tracks. “Strings” was such a standout on her EP, Other Ways to Vent. She transports us to the all too familiar cycle of going back to someone after you cut ties and uses a puppet show as a metaphor.

90-86

Qdp70Ff.png

90. Raissa, “GO FAST BABY

The girls need to watch out, Raissa is pop rising. She illustrates her sense of purpose, with the glistening futuristic pop textures on this track.

89. Nasty Cherry, “Lucky”

This sweet and spiky glam pop track emerged after the girls spent time in quarantine self-reflecting and showing appreciation for each other.

88. slowthai, “feel away (feat. James Blake & Mount Kimbie)

I normally don’t pay attention to slowthai but he did good here and James is always helpful. slowthai jumps into the song without hesitation and raps over a looping piano for a full minute straight before he takes a breath and the beat kicks, only for James to come and close us out with a beautifully striped melody.

87. Spellling, “Boys at School”

A teenage melodrama, Spellling takes us back to the classrooms to sing about the boys that put a strain in her life on this mystical track.

86. Chloe x Halle, “Hazy”

I just love how diverse these two are, and how theatrical and haunting their vocals can get. Even on this seductive sex-fueled track. We don’t really need Chloe to go solo yet, we need another album already!

Hurricane is one of my instand favorites from Donda :clap3: 

Silk Chiffon :smitten: 

both Hazy and 80/20 were such a nice additions to UH :clap3: 

Oh wait Forgive Me being #1 on last year's list TASTE :jonny5: I actually love Lil Baby and his part on Hurricane is so good i'm shoked

Silk Chiffon, Onto Me and Hazy prise wow :clap3: We all know Maroon 5 always relies on black artists these days. They should've kiss Megan feet after being on the only listenanble song on that album this year nnn

maroon 5 is not something i expected to see here :biblio2:

nyquil queen :skull: but tirzah snapped

silk chiffon is cute 

The Hardest Cut + Beautiful Mistakes + Silk Chiffon :worship:

Maroon 5 :worship:

noT a potential Best Of finale :'( but that 11 year idea is cute

Poker Face, Countdown, Let it Happen, Forgive Me dominating their years :clap3:

Hurricane is cute, definitely one of the better DONDA tracks. Beautiful Mistake :michael: Onto Me & Hazy are nice. Silk Chiffon :alexz: MUNA can't miss... they just can't miss.

6 hours ago, MP2K said:

87. Spellling, “Boys at School”

Out of the two songs I know so far (the other one being #100), this one is my favorite.

Silk Chiffon is great, I’m kinda sad people are placing it so low lol

hey there. 12 years is a whole lot so I understand the thought of retirement. Anyway, I think Hurricane was a right singles choice for Kanye but Lil Baby was a choice. 

I completely forgot Ungodly Hour got that little reissue :dies: I loved the OG album and those new songs were cute additions, but nothing I'd come back to a lot

The girls are scissoring!

Can you calm down dkhsdlkashkldhsladhsd I fucking screamed!

Anyway lots of fantastic picks here. Boys at School, Silk Scizor, and Hurricane are my top 3.

Also... totally get the burnout thing. I still have been having fun with these but FUCK they are time consuming.

Send Me, Boys at School :clap3:

looking forward to the rest

• ATRL Moderator

I was really getting into Iyla last year but I suddenly found her voice too grating and kinda hate everything she puts out now :deadbanana:

boys at school, hazy, send me :heart:

On 12/12/2021 at 10:29 AM, MP2K said:

95-91

Qdp70Ff.png

91. iyla, “Strings

iyla is a rising pop/R&B star that will surprise you by her soulful voice and how she approaches her tracks. “Strings” was such a standout on her EP, Other Ways to Vent. She transports us to the all too familiar cycle of going back to someone after you cut ties and uses a puppet show as a metaphor.

I actually just discovered this song today and i'm not familiar w/the artist but agree it's def a standout

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.