hofork: 2021 in review / songs + albs pg 1, hms + worst pg 2

minho

RdzjcrL.png

hofork is an established music review publication, developed in May of 2021 that has carefully analyzed hundreds of releases over the course of the year, rating and reviewing them all. These are the 50 best songs of the year.

DyMsBZI.png P6AqJfL.png XfItH6I.png F5J8NXx.pngkxNTrSS.png vKzLZue.png VvOAXgL.png xpzgfIR.pngwXEwAQg.png TjBuSux.png fnO7RuA.png zqv12eq.pngBb7ncNt.png vNPHUMr.png 79ZjmYp.png 0POQgDN.png6hluPHJ.png S3IRwJ9.png nqpSby6.png nDYZTRG.png

W1W0GO9.png F4Pm7Hh.png cbLaGai.png gni8JgS.pngpBzsyru.png

O2ssim8.png MPEjcSc.png o9tc0ub.png bnbjdEM.pngs3N7rgq.png

vy4lUyP.png aHAMOsc.png Vz8l7bk.png 3QtUoxz.pngcQww6aT.png

L1UCpUe.png WsjKoIG.png gyCGImY.png ze8TW1L.pnggUr2TH1.png

Rnpu8Ow.png 6bINJGk.png xzWKTkZ.png 44NB4EM.pngBCoUUoF.png

yTEBUij.png ueIuzzX.pngOhxw4fJ.png5SSS87r.png yKCnSeA.png

text based:

Spoiler

50. Japanese Breakfast - Posing in Bondage (Indie Pop, Artpop)

Her album was... fine. This was one of the more endearing tracks, interesting production. 

49. Pale Waves - Change (Pop-Rock)

Pop-rock anthem. They may be posers but this feels straight out of 2003 in the best way possible. I love the attitude and I think I really re-discovered my love for pop-rock this year.

48. Joyce Wrice - On One (R&B)

Very cool, summery R&B. It's slick and bright and the feature works fine, but for me it's all about the vibe of the chorus and her voice. It's a lighter voice that transforms the song

47. Chloe Moriondo - Girl on TV (Pop-Rock)

Pop-rock anthem [2] Cool album, would recommend, probably just missed my top 15. I like the riffs and the pop-heavy influences here. It feels like it belongs on the soundtrack of something like Mean Girls and that's the best kind of music isn't it!

46. Tyler, the Creator - Wusyaname (Hip Hop, Neosoul)

His album was okay. I mean it was good but I might just be over him. However this song is hard to deny and probably the most immediate highlight.

45. Lorde - Fallen Fruit (Artpop)

Speaking of... albums :hi: No but this was really cool as a track and I think the album would've benefitted from going in this direction more. There's a haunting feeling to this that I think is signature Lorde (and might've been the missing link off the rest of the tracks)

44. L Devine - Girls Like Sex (Synthpop)

Just a little synthpop bop. It's catchy and flirty but doesn't feel too much like Spotify-pop

43. Namasenda - No Regrets (Electropop, Bubblegum Bass)

Totally sounds like y2k come to life. Her album also had some standouts but I like this one

42. The War on Drugs - I Don't Live Here Anymore (Indie Rock)

Anthemic, stadium quality to it. Justifies it's length and was one of VERY few male albums I listened to I guess?

41. Magdalena Bay - You Lose! (Electropop, Pop-Rock)

A cool amalgamation of sounds that feels different from anything they've done before but most importantly avoids feeling like ~vibe music which I would not enjoy.

40. serpentwithfeet - Fellowship (Neosoul)

It's cute! It actually isn't even my favourite but I think the charming feeling that it's a song about friendship is what draws me in. 

39. MUNA & Phoebe Bridgers - Silk Chiffon (Indie Pop)

It's a bop idcccc. The marketing of this song is so true though, the amount of people who can't just have FUN

38. H.E.R. - Damage (R&B)

While the album was more or less the same song for 20 tracks, I think Damage is particularly pretty. It has a solid throwback vibe to it that pulls from Janet influences but it stands on its own.

37. Sharon Van Etten & Angel Olsen - Like I Used To (Singer-songwriter, Artpop)

Female power collaborations always work for me. Two great artists that draw more on the Sharon side of things so it's better

36. Summer Walker - Ex For A Reason (R&B)

Massive bop. Definitely the feel that I was looking for when it comes to Summer

35. Charli XCX - Good Ones (Electropop, Synthwave)

I see why people are reluctant but I think CRASH will slay

34. Taeyeon - Weekend (Pop)

Sounds a lot like Say So but it's cute, bubbly, and sweet and that's what I love

33. Rochelle Jordan - All Along (Drum & Bass)

This album was massive, a huge grower too, I realized that there's a lot to love about the way Rochelle transforms her sound across the lp and draws on influences. it's pretty fantastic!

32. Claud - Soft Spot (Bedroom Pop)

Clairo's friend has a bop

31. Illuminati Hotties - Threatening Each Other re: Capitalism (Rock)

The title had me intrigued! I was not let down

30. ELIO - @ elio.irl (Bedroom Pop)

Sounds straight off Immunity which was welcome since a certain somebody decided to collect her Joni Mitchell records  this year and let us all know about it

29. Soccer Mommy - Rom Com 2004 (Indie Rock)

She can do no wrong in my eyes!! Weird fart noise distortion gives way to the best pop-rock chorus of the year

28. Arlo Parks - Green Eyes (Singer-songwriter, Neosoul)

Clairo's friend [2] is also a Grammy nominated acclaimed singer-songwriter in her own right. She kind of slays. The album requires you to be in a particular mood but I feel like this song is evergreen. Something I'd always like.

27. Erika de Casier - Better Than That (Lounge, R&B)

Smooth loungey bop that has a slick feel to it. 

26. Mitski - Working for the Knife (Indie Pop)

Not her not her... but I can't deny this song is one of her best

25. Billie Eilish - Halley's Comet (Pop)

Endlessly beautiful. I have strong attachment to Billie ballads but this one in particular is just so gentle and sweet and nostalgic.

24. Maggie Lindemann - Knife Under My Pillow (Pop-Rock)

2 minute songs were the thing this year, it takes tALENT to make them sound full

23. Arca - Intimate Flesh (Electronic, Experimental)

LITERALLY AMAZING. I truly think if I had more time with this it would be in the top ten. Kick III and 5 were ultimates

22. Gracie Abrams - Rockland (Singer-songwriter, Indie-folk)

I made a playlist this year of Swiftian songs (artists clearly inspired by Taylor) and the soft feel of this gives me idk.. cinematic vibes I guess? Like a slow burning scene driving through a small town in dusk light

21. Pinkpantheress - Just For Me (Drum & Bass)

2000s nostalgia works well for me

20. Weeekly - After School (Pop)

Cute and bubbly, insanely catchy

19. Addison Rae - Obsessed (Synthwave, Experimental)

When that other song drops its over for all pop girls. People need to get over themselves with this girl because this song is surprisingly cool and daringly catchy

18. Samia - Show Up (Indie Folk)

A cool discovery for me this year (I didn't know about her from before!). This song was the best off the EP because it sort of draws on 90s/2000s alt girls as an influence

17. Olivia Rodrigo - good 4 u (Pop-rock)

A fun kiss off type song. I think it could've gone harder but you don't know how excited I was when I found out there was pop-rock on this album. Besides she's my artist of the year.

16. Beabadoobee - Last Day on Earth (Jangle Pop, Pop-Rock)

Sometimes she's hit or miss but the EP this year was a solid 4 tracker that did everything right

15. Slayyyter - Letters (Electronic)

I could've gone with some of the more hard hitting BOPS but I want to recognize this because I truly didn't think a slayyyter ballad was what I needed in life

14. St. Vincent - At the Holiday Party (Singer-songwriter, Artpop)

Smooth and still vintage slick like she wanted. I think this is a better direction for her but what do I know

13. Wolf Alice - Smile (Rock)

One of the most explosive songs off the album so naturally a fave

12. Clairo - Amoeba (Indie Rock)

Not as good as Bags but pretty much a classic if you ask me

11. Faye Webster - A Dream with a Baseball Player (Alternative Country, Dreampop)

Dreamy and beautiful. That's something that carries throughout the album but on this one in particular it hits a little extra sparkle

10. Jazmine Sullivan - Pick Up Your Feelings (R&B)

One of my favourite R&B songs in a long time, it just feels like a big power move

9. SZA - Good Days (Dreampop, R&B)

It's so pretty and fun, I miss SZA

8. Yeule - Don't Be So Hard on Your Own Beauty (Indie Folk)

emo indie folk ballad was another thing I didn't expect to be on my bingo card

7. aespa - Next Level (Electronic)

No you can't deny this is the best kpop song of the year. This and Savage

6. willow - Transparent Soul (Pop-rock)

pop-rock anthem [2342]

5. Olivia Rodrigo - drivers license (Indie Pop)

I haven't listened to a song more. I probably won't like a debut single more for a long time. She is the moment for a reason. That reason is earnest songwriting and fantastic bridges.

4. Indigo De Souza - Darker Than Death (Indie Rock)

Pop-rock influences are what draws me into this album more. Her songwriting too is very dynamic

3. Billie Eilish - Male Fantasy (Indie Folk)

The true closer! HTE is obviously a climactic moment, but I like the soft reprise of MF which I think brilliantly summarizes the themes of the album

2. Snail Mail - Valentine (Indie Rock)

This song is SO good. It's everything you want in a solid indie rock song with a brilliant hook/sing it out loud vibe

1. Olivia Rodrigo - Deja Vu (Indie Pop)

She is the moment. 

You can't hear a bridge like this and not adore it. 

She is my bestie.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• minho

• Ttoki

• Alldeezy

• taemin

19. Addison Rae - Obsessed (Synthwave, Experimental) :clap3:the ACCLAIM for the tiktok queen of music 

Exactly

I mean you already know how I feel about all of these so yeah great list, and excellent top ten besides Bad Days :clap3: did Mitski’s CIA dad threaten you for her to be on here tho

Loving the aesthetics (even though it took 5 minutes for the images to actually load)

Pale Waves making it @Sanguinewishes! Deja vu being higher than Driver's License feels right!

Knife under my pillow :heart:

H1cC3lW.png

After rating and reviewing upwards of 120 albums, these are the 15 best.

D8tkeES.png 0OOGtRl.png Z6vSepG.png

6HHmD8K.png kVTSw0B.png ScgwyfV.png

Cu28Ax2.png zlEJhod.png IKksF66.png

8hLJz5N.png O2VB4GN.png qzKZVDA.png

GmhyrkX.png aV6l3Cu.png fUC5LoN.png

Spoiler

15. serpentwithfeet - DEACON

vibes: neosoul, R&B, dreampop

faves: amir, fellowship

a beautiful exploration of intimacy, friendship, and life. strongly recommend giving this a whirl since there's a few different influences at play. all of them work together to craft this intricately beautiful collection that takes a look at love and soul in a careful yet relaxed way.

14. arlo parks - collapsed in sunbeams

vibes: neosoul, indie-folk, singer-songwriter

faves: green eyes, black dog

a young singer-songwriter explores love and life through a queer, black lens in such a delicately beautiful way you can't help but get absorbed in every word she says. the best songs are the ones that dream of a beautiful, sun-kissed world where two young lovers can exist in peace.

13. clairo - sling

vibes: singer-songwriter, '70s folk

faves: blouse, amoeba, reaper

inspired by folk greats of the 60s and 70s, clairo's unexpected turn for her sophomore proves her prowess as a songwriter who inspects the minute details and brings them to life. with lyrics that touch on motherhood, the pressures of being a young woman, and the anxieties of life, there's a strong collection of work that pushes her catalogue into a new direction.

12. arca - kick iii

vibes: electronic, experimental, hard-hitting

faves: intimate flesh, joya, bruja

arca's albums this year spanned a wide variety of different styles and moods. while I appreciated her work ethic and the variety we got, it was iii (and also iiiii) that really convinced me about her tremendous artistic vision and the way she's made a name for herself as one of the most dynamic electronic artists out right now.

11. billie eilish - happier than ever

vibes: indie pop, r&b influences, synthpop

faves: male fantasy, nda, halley's comet

billie's follow up to one of the most exciting releases of the last decade is a mature, nuanced collection of songs that shows the young superstar reflect on the difficulties of life. with subject matter that varies and ventures into truly dark and personal territory, it's a wonder how intimately she can write about life in both a relatable, yet personal way.

10. snail mail - valentine

vibes: indie rock, vintagey feels

faves: valentine, ben franklin, madonna

backed by extremely strong singles, snail mail (finally) has an album that has a dynamic edge to it. the anthemic choruses and wondrous influences give this album it's spark. I think it could've been better but I can't deny the power several songs have had

9. jazmine sullivan - heaux tales

vibes: r&b, just really good classic r&b

faves: pick up your feelings, lost ones, the other side

jazmine is a force and has been for years, but the complexity of this album is one that doesn't really land immediately, it comes in the in-betweens, as the contrast between the interludes (tales) and the actual songs weaves an exploration of black women in the frame of love and heartbreak

8. pinkpantheress - to hell with it

vibes: drum and bass, tik tok gen z'd pop

faves: just for me, break it off

though it's incredibly short, I can't deny the catchy, memorable quality this album had on me. call it snippet pop, but it hit where it needed to hit

7. wolf alice - blue weekend

vibes: indie rock, indie folk, dreampop

faves: smile, last day on earth, how can I make it ok?

one of the most acclaimed (well at the time) albums for a reason. they just do indie rock really well

6. rochelle jordan - play with the changes

vibes: drum & bass, r&b, electronic

faves: all along, broken steel

sophisticated feeling R&B with great influences of electronic, dance, and d&b. there's something for everyone and although it feels kinda artsy it's got solid legs to stand on. also a huge grower

5. st. vincent - daddy's home

vibes: artpop, soul rock

faves: at the holiday party, somebody like me, down and out downtown

tbh I get why people weren't feeling this that much but there's a lot of dynamism here that makes it stand out among her discography. I prefer the latter half where songs remind me of Strange Mercy at times, but I mean there's a lot of cool stuff

4. slayyyter - troubled paradise

vibes: electronic, bubblegum bass, hyperpop

faves: cowboys, over this!, letters

people are sleeping on this!!! there's really hard hitters on this, especially towards the end, but overall I feel like it proved slayyyter has a lot more intrigue than her mixtape and pre-tp songs indicated. 

3. faye webster - I know I'm funny haha

vibes: alt-country, singer-songwriter, loungey

faves: a dream with a baseball player, kind of, title track

the title may paint a... annoying picture, but honestly? the lyrics are kind of fun throughout this album. there's a lot of personality and wit and charm. all that backed by an album that touches on a surprising amount of influences (from country to R&B to dreampop). it's loungey and vibey but it has substance.

2. olivia rodrigo - sour 

vibes: indie pop, pop-rock, folkpop

faves: everything but "happier"

she snapped she slayed she's my new fave

an asian pop star :wap: yasss

the way she handles... teenage heartbreak. I mean sure it's not the most devastating thing, it's maybe not that "serious" but she has a signature vibe and a surprisingly fantastic pen... she makes you nostalgic with her endearing personality. and the bridges are incredible

1. indigo de souza - any shape you take

vibes: indie rock, indie pop

faves: kill me, darker than death, die/cry

HUGE RECOMMEND. 

My AOTY is not actually Sour (although that's the album I spent the most time with). Instead it's this. a dark, deep, brooding album that is so full of powerful songs. It's experimental in the right places, but also has enough of a pop-rock touch that makes it palatable. she's a fantastic songwriter and I can't get enough of her.

A very slayful list of albums tbh!

@diogozsz fave Indigo at #1! Deserved!:clap3:Slay at Faye being at #3! 

faves: everything but "happier"

asdgfhjkl it's what she deserved tho!

47 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

try pale waves too x

songs list is a serve - someone else stanning elio.irl:gaycat5:

male fantasy getting the recognition it deserves, it's such a beautiful song

9 hours ago, Hikari said:

Yes Indigo yes talent :clap3:

12 hours ago, hofork said:

31. Illuminati Hotties - Threatening Each Other re: Capitalism (Rock)

29. Soccer Mommy - Rom Com 2004 (Indie Rock)

17. Olivia Rodrigo - good 4 u (Pop-rock)

14. St. Vincent - At the Holiday Party (Singer-songwriter, Artpop)

11. Faye Webster - A Dream with a Baseball Player (Alternative Country, Dreampop)

5. Olivia Rodrigo - drivers license (Indie Pop)

1. Olivia Rodrigo - Deja Vu (Indie Pop)

A lot of underrated tracks out there. Soft Spot and Rom Com 2004 :clap3:

me rambling, don't need to read:

Spoiler

and yes I was parodying pitchfork (sort of) but... I actually did rate and review like 150 releases this year! this year was interesting because throughout the year I had the impression that it was great for music and I genuinely enjoyed several albums. however I came to realize that a lot of them didn't have the staying power I would've liked. if you looked at this list in, say, September it would've been dramatically different. in the end I don't think it was a bad music year, but I do think it was one of those years where you get a lot of stuff and enjoy it in the moment, but they lack the legs needed to really get me to care about them. 

rating and reviewing music has been a really fun experience since it's not something I used to do. I used to just listen to my faves and randomly come up with a list. this time I actually had a document to refer back to where I could think critically about what really shaped my year. certain albums I gave high ratings to (best new music :santa:) didn't even make the list because I realized that as much as I might've enjoyed them, they didn't have the significant impact on me that I'd hope.

ANYWAY next year I hope to do the same kind of thing but set a goal of like 222 albums. it makes it fun to explore and discover music and I think I like the impact it's had on my listening habits, especially after two consecutive years of me listening to like... 15 albums on loop and not branching out. much like an actual publication hofork has posted it's year end lists all at once and it's a format I kind of like. tune in next year when (hopefully) I develop an actual blog!

I've updated the songs list to have little explanations to justify me throwing it all at once (I'm trying to be like a real publication okay!!!)

ok ty everyone, will reply to comments later today!!!

Nice selection and appreciate the straightforwardness of this update. Rochelle/Pink/Slayyter w/ strong highlights each. Will check out the songs that I don't know from that list. 

deja vu + t r a n s p a r e n t s o u l + drivers license + Smile + good 4 u + Last Day On Earth + I Don't Live Here Anymore + Silk Chiffon + Fallen Fruit :heart2:

Such a good list honestly, for songs especially :eek: Not sure what Obsessed is doing in the middle of it however :dies:

lots of great entries here!

49. Pale Waves - Change (Pop-Rock)

47. Chloe Moriondo - Girl on TV (Pop-Rock)

44. L Devine - Girls Like Sex (Synthpop)

39. MUNA & Phoebe Bridgers - Silk Chiffon (Indie Pop)

35. Charli XCX - Good Ones (Electropop, Synthwave)

30. ELIO - @ elio.irl (Bedroom Pop)

24. Maggie Lindemann - Knife Under My Pillow (Pop-Rock)

16. Beabadoobee - Last Day on Earth (Jangle Pop, Pop-Rock)

the taste :clap3:girls like sex is such a bop. claud making an appearance :party: some more elio praise, @ elio.irl def was one of the standout tracks on the EP. amoeba was cute, probably the only track i instantly liked with my one listen of the album :toofunny2:

Yeah Letters and Good Ones deserve the shout outs 4 sure 4 sure :clap: I am too uncultured for most of the songs and albums, but you did such a good job with presentation and i am inclined to believe you as a trusted voice in music!

Spoiler
18 hours ago, Sempiternal said:

Such a fun song! Her whole EP/album was great, can't wait to see more.

You might like Pale Waves' "Change" if you liked that song

17 hours ago, Hikari said:

Faye the ultimate grower! ty :heart:

17 hours ago, Sanguine said:

Yess Indigo AOTY talent legend

The top five is a huge serve :WAP: and Arca making it with the late entry, period

I truly was shook by how good Arca's albums were :WAP: I wish they were out earlier in the year 

And yes Indigo yes talent

16 hours ago, SLIME said:

I agree!

Ok reading and then I will comment thoughts

Can't wait, I love hearing your thoughts~

12 hours ago, dreamofyou said:

songs list is a serve - someone else stanning elio.irl:gaycat5:

male fantasy getting the recognition it deserves, it's such a beautiful song

MF was my immediate fave yeah, I wish it got more recognition but at least people liked the album after all!

10 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

Heaux Tales, Happier Than Ever, Blue Weekend are among my favorites too :jonny6:

ty!!! Great albums 

9 hours ago, rvx said:

That really was quick posting those lists 

Olivia Rodrigo + Billie Eilish :clap3:

Yeah I wanted to get the lists all out at once like how other sites do it hehe~

And yes!! Love Olivia sm, and Billie's album was great

8 hours ago, diogozsz said:

Oh wow I LOVE every album on this update except for Indigo's. The taste pheeeew

8 hours ago, diogozsz said:

Yes Indigo yes talent :clap3:

Okay this whiplash!!

5 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

A lot of underrated tracks out there. Soft Spot and Rom Com 2004 :clap3:

Ooh yes both underrated, Claud was a cool discovery and I love some soccer mommy

4 hours ago, Tom Vercetti said:

Nice selection and appreciate the straightforwardness of this update. Rochelle/Pink/Slayyter w/ strong highlights each. Will check out the songs that I don't know from that list. 

ty!!! it was a decent year that had some gems, not the strongest but I'm ready for 2022

3 hours ago, JGibson said:

deja vu + t r a n s p a r e n t s o u l + drivers license + Smile + good 4 u + Last Day On Earth + I Don't Live Here Anymore + Silk Chiffon + Fallen Fruit :heart2:

thank you for commenting!! 

1 hour ago, BlackoutZone said:

Such a good list honestly, for songs especially :eek: Not sure what Obsessed is doing in the middle of it however :dies:

alkjsdflja it's a bop! tragic cover and video though

thanks for commenting!

52 minutes ago, kiiwii said:

lots of great entries here!

the taste :clap3:girls like sex is such a bop. claud making an appearance :party: some more elio praise, @ elio.irl def was one of the standout tracks on the EP. amoeba was cute, probably the only track i instantly liked with my one listen of the album :toofunny2:

Thank you! Yeah I get why Clairo's album isn't for everyone. I enjoyed it but I also hope she returns to more of a bedroom pop/Immunity type thing next time. It suits her better.

I'm excited for your list I feel like I'll like a lot of the entries!

19 minutes ago, Hug said:

Yeah Letters and Good Ones deserve the shout outs 4 sure 4 sure :clap: I am too uncultured for most of the songs and albums, but you did such a good job with presentation and i am inclined to believe you as a trusted voice in music!

tyyyy my certified badge is totally authentic and not at all homemade!

thank you for commenting!!

yassss hofork!!!!!! too many excellent songs and albums for me to mention, hope the basement that they run hofork from stays intact :clap3:

18 hours ago, hofork said:

46. Tyler, the Creator - Wusyaname (Hip Hop, Neosoul)

40. serpentwithfeet - Fellowship (Neosoul)

34. Taeyeon - Weekend (Pop)

33. Rochelle Jordan - All Along (Drum & Bass)

28. Arlo Parks - Green Eyes (Singer-songwriter, Neosoul)

27. Erika de Casier - Better Than That (Lounge, R&B)

21. Pinkpantheress - Just For Me (Drum & Bass)

19. Addison Rae - Obsessed (Synthwave, Experimental)

14. St. Vincent - At the Holiday Party (Singer-songwriter, ArtpoP)

13. Wolf Alice - Smile (Rock)

10. Jazmine Sullivan - Pick Up Your Feelings (R&B)

7. aespa - Next Level (Electronic)

This list is just too good :jonny5: some of these were also nice reads x 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.