Mr. Blue_Shirt's Best of 2021 | FINISHED!

Mr. Blue_Shirt

qvBEes7.png

QfZgfhY.png

5. Sensational - Erika de Casier

erika-de-casier-sensational-Cover-Art.jpg

(May 21, 2021)

On this second album, Erika de Casier created many of her best songs with these early 2000s R&B + modern electronic flourishes that creeps you up slowly in the night. The production on this album is really good, minimalist, lowkey, but still very luxurious, and the lyrics have also a pretty interesting quirkiness to them that I really liked. Erika's voice is also super silky and gentle on the ears, but at the same time she often shows some really great flows in here and quite a bit of attitude. I know that this album might feels very boring while you listening to it for the first time but i gotta admit that this a very compelling record, and I'm curious to see where Erika goes from now

Top 3: Someone to Chill With, No Butterflies, No Nothing & Polite

Spotify // Apple Music // Youtube

4. Happier Than Ever - Billie Eilish

billie-eilish-happier-than-ever-Cover-Art.jpg

(July 30, 2021)

Billie Eilish wihout a doubt is one of the biggest pop stars in the world right now. And sometimes most popstars don't want to develop their sound after their first breakthrough but in this case, Billie took a step futher and created her best album in her career so far

'Happier Than Ever' is a maturation of Billie's sound. The writing is much more emotionally vulnerable and nuanced. Much of the record is focused on post break up feelings and reflection, lending a humanity previously not seen in her work. This is definitely an album that needs to be listened to on repeat. Sure that not everyone is going to be on board with this record, but this album proves that Billie has staying power and also proves that her first album wasn't just a fluke

Her career is going have some incredible achievements in the future, and I'm certain that this will be included in that list

Top 3: Happier Than Ever, OverHeated & Oxytocin

3. timeabout, - YUKIKA

%EC%9C%A0%ED%82%A4%EC%B9%B4-yukika-timeabout-Cover-Art.jpg

(April 7, 2021)

YUKIKA continues to make a classic record with city-pop extravaganza that is 'timeabout,' which is easily just as well-crafted as her first studio album 'SOUL LADY'

She also continues expanding her sounds in ways that are most pleasing to listen to, with fun, cute, and memorable tracks. There's no doubt that the city pop-esque cuts like the title track 'Insomnia' and pre-release single 'Love Month' are the stars of the bunch, but the exceptionally smooth such 'TIME TRAVEL' and the album closer track also make quite the impression too. Although this is a short 19 minute EP, but overall this is very fun and explosive city-pop-infused dance-pop album that feels so sunny and explosive that it's so hard for me not to enjoy it again and again

Top 3: Insomnia, Time Travel & Lovemonth

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Blue_Shirt

• Tinashegrande6

• Legend E

• TheWayWeWere

qvBEes7.png

ABr8Y04.png

333 - Tinashe

tinashe-333-Cover-Art.jpg

(August 6, 2021)

I know this is an unpopular opinion but i really enjoy '333' more than 'Songs For You'. Sure while SFY turned out to be a quick grower, but I got hooked by 333 immediately after listening to it for the first time.

Tinashe didn’t waste any time while recording this album for sure because this album is a breath of fresh air through and through. She embraces sounds that her label would never have approved of, jungle rhythms and formless neo-soul dreams and driving power ballads all coexist in the futuristic terrarium of her mind. And there's more, so much more going on from this album. From the trap trilogy of 'I Can See the Future', 'X' and 'Bouncin'' to Dance-pop jams like 'Undo (Back to My Heart)' and 'The Chase', I love the variety she brings, the soul, the swerves and the sass

It was clear from the start when she released 'Songs for You' as her first album post-RCA era would be by far her best, and '333' only proves that assumption with concrete evidence. Every song on 333 knocks her early work out of the water and that's a major accomplishment. I know damn well that RCA is going to regret everything they did to her in the coming years.

Top 3: X, Last Call & Bouncin

qvBEes7.png

lqShSlL.png

Sometimes I Might Be Introvert - Little Simz

little-simz-sometimes-i-might-be-introvert-Cover-Art.jpg

(September 3, 2021)

This album is brilliant and I don't know how I can express myself to how much I love this album

Little Simz is a female rapper from the UK who has staggered the Hip-Hop scene with albums such as 'A Curious Tale of Trials + Persons', 'Stillness in Wonderland' and the highly acclaimed third studio album 'Grey Area'. On this fourth album, this is a huge step up from her previous album, and one of the most lushly-orchestrated hip-hop albums ever made, at least in my opinion. The first half of the album backed up by epic instrumentation while discussing Little Simz’s personal life and her relationships with friends and family. And the second half of the album, she embraces a more tribal type of sounds. My only gripe with this album is that the interludes are a bit too long. While I do believe they add aesthetically to the project, I found myself longing to be thrown into the next track and checking how much more of the interlude I had to wait through

But nonetheless this is a very well executed album and Little Simz has definitely locked down her legacy as one of the best artists of this generation, and hopefully she will continue to release amazing music to seal her legacy as a giant in the genre

Top 3: Introvert, I Love You, I Hate You & Woman

On 1/7/2022 at 11:28 AM, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

halsey-if-i-cant-have-love-i-want-power-Cover-Art.jpg

(August 27, 2021)

I want to give a shout out to my good sis Ashley Frangipane and my baby daddies Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross for creating this work of art. I think it's time for to embrace Halsey hype train and blasting 'Bells in Santa Fe' as my cinematic soundtrack from now on

The theme of the album focused on feminine themes, such as addressing patriarchy and systemic sexism, this album might just be Halsey's best work to date. The writing is so clever and deep and the production is just INSANE. I feel like this project is a huge win for Halsey and it's hard to see it as anything less than the stepping stone that made the largest leap in her progress to a truly fantastic record. And yeah it's time for all of these alt-pop girls to ditch Jack Antonoff for good and start working with Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross pretty please!

Top 3: You asked for this, Easier Than Lying & Bells in Santa Fe

Halsus :clap3:

Love the write-up btw and NAWT your Top 3 tracks being the exact same as mine :worship2:

A certain user just screamed into their pillow!! 

Edited by Reverse Warholian

The Avalanches, Agnes, Billie :alexz:

wow Timeabout, HTE and Sensational in the top 5 :jonny5: all 11/10 albums

Savage is like my favorite kpop mini ever along with Loona's Mix & Match

• ATRL Moderator

Stand for Myself, Happier Than Ever, 333 - the taste :jonny5: 

Haven't kept up much with the Best Of's since the new year started but what a great top 10 albums list! I'm sure the singles are as good too.

Omg 333 top 2 :clap3:

8 hours ago, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

I know this is an unpopular opinion but i really enjoy '333' more than 'Songs For You'. Sure while SFY turned out to be a quick grower, but I got hooked by 333 immediately after listening to it for the first time

Omg I completely agree! I didn't really like Sfy all that much when I first heard it and it took a while to grow on me. 333 has a lot more of the classic Tinashe sound imo.

Oh wow 333 top 2 :clap3:

Agreed silk  sonic executed the sound really well! A shame more people didn't appreciate it, esp after Bruno's long departure

Already got Agnes & Yola on my list of artists to check out, I'll get into them at some point :gaycat3: Possibly around Spring. An Evening with Silk Sonic :clap3: I didn't even know that some people didn't really feel the album until recently, I can understand some of the complaints but it's only 8 full tracks and they still killed it at the end of the day. Happier Than Ever has some great highlights, although her debut + EP are easily superior to me. There's just a few tracks that I find to be pretty dull. 333 :party: A great followup to Songs for You, she's done a great job at serving after Joylessride! Blast Off, Leave the Door Open, Oxytocin, Happier Than Ever, X, Last Call, Bouncin in your faves :jamming::jamming:

Well i guess Love Is Dead at least has stan oop :mandown: but i still listen to Get Out & Grafitti from time to time though

Even though it's really shame for the lack of commercial success for Aly & AJ but i really love how they just keep releasing good music and trying to reintroduce themselves especially in the indie pop cicle :clap3: The disney adults who keeps repeating the Potential Breakup Song better wake up and stream their new music ffs!

:fan: but mmm at least you enjoy the best single & promo track!! now give Deliverance, Graves and Wonderland some spins!

exactly-raven.gif

your top ten serving TASTE bestie :jonny6:

SIMBI is an excellent record too

Spoiler
23 hours ago, Reverse Warholian said:

Halsus :clap3:

Love the write-up btw and NAWT your Top 3 tracks being the exact same as mine :worship2:

A certain user just screamed into their pillow!! 

AHHH we always serving taste like always :jonny5:

The way Halsey just secure the girls, gays and those music fanatic nerds on their hands with this album is truly one of the most iconic even in 2021 :clap3:

23 hours ago, K$Ellie said:

wow Timeabout, HTE and Sensational in the top 5 :jonny5: all 11/10 albums

Savage is like my favorite kpop mini ever along with Loona's Mix & Match

Honestly i was so surprise by Savage EP, SM turly went all out with buying the best demos possible and reworked the songs to be even better :clap3: They still good it after all these years

22 hours ago, Legend E said:

Stand for Myself, Happier Than Ever, 333 - the taste :jonny5: 

truly the trinity :jonny5: Women always win in the end

15 hours ago, Tinashegrande6 said:

Omg 333 top 2 :clap3:

Omg I completely agree! I didn't really like Sfy all that much when I first heard it and it took a while to grow on me. 333 has a lot more of the classic Tinashe sound imo.

The way she just blending all of her previous works and make it even better :clap3: She's truly a versatile just like some of her gay fans

14 hours ago, Brandon said:

Silk Sonic :party:

Straight men won i can't believe it! :clap3:

7 hours ago, KasioKas said:

Oh wow 333 top 2 :clap3:

Agreed silk  sonic executed the sound really well! A shame more people didn't appreciate it, esp after Bruno's long departure

Right?!

I know that people always criticize Bruno to be a cosplayer of the 80s & 70s pop funk music but he actually did it really well and he pay homage to those era with love and it show :clap3:

6 hours ago, Remmy said:

Already got Agnes & Yola on my list of artists to check out, I'll get into them at some point :gaycat3: Possibly around Spring. An Evening with Silk Sonic :clap3: I didn't even know that some people didn't really feel the album until recently, I can understand some of the complaints but it's only 8 full tracks and they still killed it at the end of the day. Happier Than Ever has some great highlights, although her debut + EP are easily superior to me. There's just a few tracks that I find to be pretty dull. 333 :party: A great followup to Songs for You, she's done a great job at serving after Joylessride! Blast Off, Leave the Door Open, Oxytocin, Happier Than Ever, X, Last Call, Bouncin in your faves :jamming::jamming:

:fan: but mmm at least you enjoy the best single & promo track!! now give Deliverance, Graves and Wonderland some spins!

exactly-raven.gif

Yeah also i feel like the 8 tracks of Silk Sonic album feels very appropiate since most of 70s & 80s didn't have really long album but the tracks lenght sometimes are a bit long to overcome the minimal tracklist 

The way Tinashe just said "f*ck RCA" and released 2 really great albums back to back. We don't know a better woman honestly:jonny5:

Maybe i should get into Love Is Dead again. Sometimes we need to have fun when we get into a sellout era nnn

21 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

Haven't kept up much with the Best Of's since the new year started but what a great top 10 albums list! I'm sure the singles are as good too.

omg thanks king :heart: I originally planned to finish it before new years but life still bites me in the ass. thanks i hate it nnn

2 hours ago, worldwide angel said:

your top ten serving TASTE bestie :jonny6:

SIMBI is an excellent record too

Thank you bby :heart:  We share a lot of similar taste like always

Okay this is the final update of the 2021. Once again thank you all so much for tuning to my Best Of list :heart: and i hope in 2022 we all have an amazing year and will overcome what will happen this year

Also i'm so sorry for the mass tagging to the people who previously comment on my thread. I promise this is the last one and i won't bugging your notification again nnn

kEio1ka.png

snEo4mn.png

10. Take My Breath - The Weeknd

the-weeknd-take-my-breath-Cover-Art.jpg

(August 6, 2021)

from the album Dawn FM

The way Abel took the synthpop songs from 'After Hours' and make it even harder on this track. This is the bop that i've been waiting for from him. And also the extended version elevate it into the higher level of heaven basically

And yes, 'Dawn FM' is already my AOTY of 2022. So i'm excited to see who's going to dethrone his place in the next couple of months

09. Good Days - SZA

sza-good-days-Cover-Art.png

(December 25, 2020)

In the next decades, people would look back on this song and wondering 'how in the hell she released this masterpiece that is so beautiful and pure in every way but still hasn't release her second album'

08. The Only Heartbreaker - Mitski

mitski-the-only-heartbreaker-Cover-Art.jpg

(November 9, 2021)

from the upcoming album Laurel Hell

I have to admit that new wave & Mitski is such a natural pairing. This song isn't original of course, but she just does it really well. The vocal melody is just emaculate and the guitar solo and everything just sounds really great

'Laurel Hell' is going to beat the hell out of me this year, isn't it?

07. One Last Kiss - Hikaru Utada

%E5%AE%87%E5%A4%9A%E7%94%B0%E3%83%92%E3%82%AB%E3%83%AB-hikaru-utada-one-last-kiss-Cover-Art.png

(March 10, 2021)

from the upcoming album Bad Mode

Hikki just doesn't miss at ALL. Being in the business for over 20 years, they still hasn't peaked in terms of quality and this song is a perfect example of that

I don't follow Neon Genesis Evangelion series, but the people that i know who like it and watched the final film of the Rebuild of Evangelion series said this song hold much more emotional gravity in the film and honestly i can see that

Overall, the collaboration between Hikki and A. G. Cook is one of the best thing that ever happen in 2021 and please anticipate her new studio album 'Bad Mode' on January 19, 2022. #promo

06. Woman (feat. Cleo Sol) - Little Simz

little-simz-woman-Cover-Art.jpg

(May 6, 2021)

from the album Sometimes I Might Be Introvert

'Women' is a shoutout to all of the wonderful black women of the world and highlighting every way they shine. Her flow on this song is insane and also the production and Cleo Sol as a featured artist are so good + compliment it so well

What a stellar track!

kEio1ka.png

QfZgfhY.png

05. Leave the Door Open - Silk Sonic

silk-sonic-leave-the-door-open-Cover-Art.jpg

(March 5, 2021)

from the album An Evening with Silk Sonic

This is one of the few popular songs that i can't get tired of listening to no matter how overplayed this song is for the rest of the year. It's an instant classic, for sure. Truly a blast from the past type of song that i can get behind

04. Stand For Myself - Yola

yola-stand-for-myself-Cover-Art.jpg

(May 27, 2021)

from the album Stand for Myself

This song is completely showstopping and i don't know the person who can't enjoy this from start to finish. Her vocal performance is incredible on this, truly a vocal performance of the year for sure

03. Happier Than Ever - Billie Eilish

billie-eilish-happier-than-ever-Cover-Art.jpg

(July 30, 2021)

from the album Happier Than Ever

Billie and Finneas found out about Mitski's Your Best American Girl on their weekly discovery and said "Wait, i want what she has!" (Obviously i don't mean it in the bad way)

I much prefer the album version instead of the "radio edit" because the later takes out the whole buildup that makes the noisy climax feel earned

kEio1ka.png

ABr8Y04.png

Please - Jessie Ware

jessie-ware-please-Cover-Art.jpg

(April 28, 2021)

from the re-issue album What's Your Pleasure?: The Platinum Pleasure Edition

The fact that Jessie releasing punch after punch for 2 years straight that make my gay ass feel liberating and she's still stuck at #2 on my Best Singles for 2 years in a row? Jessie sweetie i'm so sorry

But joking aside, she has knocked it out of the park again with delivering a hook as massive as this song in the year of 2021

Like someone said: "im so sorry for everyone who isn't a milf and can't fully enjoy this"

kEio1ka.png

lqShSlL.png

Introvert - Little Simz

little-simz-introvert-Cover-Art.jpg

(April 21, 2021)

from the album Sometimes I Might Be Introvert

This is one of the most epic and powerful hip hop songs i've ever heard, and i hope i don't exaggerating here. With the total lenght of 6 minutes, the song is grand, cinematic and over the top in the best way possible to match the hard-hitting bars and lyricism. And the fact it's the opening track of the album makes this song even better

Little Simz owned 2021 on her hands and she damn well knows it!

This top 10 :jonny5:Simz, SZA, Utada, Yola, Mitski AAAAA the talent!!

Slay that last update :clap3: 

HTE, LTDO, Woman, The Only Heartbreaker, Good Days :flame: 

Happier Than Ever + Leave The Door Open :clap3: 

Good Days :jonny6:

Edited by TalkThatRihanna

2 hours ago, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

07. One Last Kiss - Hikaru Utada

%E5%AE%87%E5%A4%9A%E7%94%B0%E3%83%92%E3%82%AB%E3%83%AB-hikaru-utada-one-last-kiss-Cover-Art.png

(March 10, 2021)

from the upcoming album Bad Mode

Talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show stopping, spectacular. :clap3:

Take My Breath yuuup :katie2: Sounds even better within the album, and yes Dawn FM is AOTY so far! ...even though it's the only 2022 release I've heard at this point nnn. Please is a fun one :party: Leave the Door Open is great mmm, another single that I preferred within a tracklist. Happier Than Ever :worship:  This is the 10,000th top 10 it has appeared in and that's well deserved! I'd love to see her become a rock princess next era.

This was a nice Best Of overall :foxaylove: Congrats on finishing & see you later this year!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.