TheWayWeWere Best of 2021: PG.17: SOTY/AOTY reveal!

TheWayWeWere

:heart2:

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheWayWeWere

• Achilles.

• TalkThatRihanna

• dreamofyou

So, let's start with albums and singles that were released before eligible period  :gaycat4:

T O P   1 0   R E C U R R E N T   A L B U M S

4dDAKC0.png

Spoiler

1    Ariana Grande | Positions
2    Dua Lipa | Future Nostalgia
3    Charli XCX | Charli
4    Charli XCX | Pop 2
5    Janet Jackson | Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814
6    Lana Del Rey | Born to Die
7    Barbra Streisand | The Barbra Streisand Album
8    Kylie Minogue | DISCO
9    Janet Jackson | Control
10    Sugababes | One Touch

T O P   1 0   R E C U R R E N T   S I N G L E S

55JE5uH.png

Spoiler

1    Ariana Grande | Positions
2    Sugababes | Freak Like Me
3    Ariana Grande | 34+35
4    Janet Jackson | Rhythm Nation
5    Siobhan Donaghy | Overrated
6    Sugababes | Soul Sound
7    Janet Jackson | Escapade
8    Garbage | Vow
9    Janet Jackson | Throb
10    Cher | Walking in Memphis

few thoughts:
· I kinda disliked Positions at first, just putting it on play some times, but I quickly fell in love with it. I know most of the people think it's her weakest record, but for me it's one of her best. Yeah, it misses some big highlights like the title track, but record just feels so organic and beautiful as a whole. PS: If Positions, both album and a title track and 34+35, could've been allowed to chart on this years YEC, she would've been #2 on both year-end singles and albums list :skull: 
· This year I really tried to organize my library in a good way, so I spend a lot of time organazing queens of bad passwords - Dua, Lana and Charli :skull: Discovering jams and jams over their unreleased catalog was... an experience :jonny2:
· Such a nice year for many re-issues of classic albums, but the best was from smaller acts - Sugababes and Garbage. It's so frustrating to see how these acts can deep dive into their historic record sessions, rare items and demos for re-release, while our faves doing lazy vinyl re-issues of their albums :skull: I'm praying for you, Madonna

also a list of singles, that didn't make it onto top 150 for different reasons

H O N O U R A B L E   M E N T I O N S

nCQaau5.png

RAYE | Love of Your Life

I still think 'Natalie Don't' is her magnus opus, but this one came really close. Practically one of the highlights of her career. 

Hatchie | This Enchanted

This is good. Dreamy, poppy, but hardly hits as you expect from her amazing debut. Still pretty excited about follow-up

Jessie Ware | Remember Where You Are

Thanks to Barack Obama for letting this song being a single :eli:

The Kid LAROI, Miley Cyrus | WITHOUT YOU

Idk about this kid at all, but this song belongs to Miley and Plastic Hearts era :jonny: 

Florrie | Hours

I still have sweet spot for this lazy bitch. This is her best droplet since...Real Love, i think?

Amorphous, Kelly Rowland & CeCe Peniston | Finally (Cannot Hide It)

Kelly, sis, get your sh!t together and make a dance album.. NOW

Mahalia | Whenever You're Ready

She did some points with bops like Roadside or Jealous, but this particular song is the one I like to return time to time, it's so comforting.. kinda reminds I Wish I Missed My Ex in a good way

MUNA, Phoebe Bridgers | Silk Chiffon

This is so euphoric and addictive, I wouldn't imagine Phoebe on such song tbh. PS: Phoebe in pink wig is hot :eli:

Kylie Minogue, Jessie Ware | Kiss of Life

Taylor Swift | All Too Well (10 Minute Version)

Welp, these two masterpiece were released a bit too late to make it onto top 150 list, so let them slay next year  :eli:

and big THANK U for all the comments :hughard:

Spoiler
On 12/10/2021 at 11:17 PM, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

LEGENDS :clap3: I'm so excited!

RhYVL25.gif

On 12/10/2021 at 11:40 PM, gagacasanova said:

I am ready. :party:

On 12/10/2021 at 11:47 PM, Tom Vercetti said:

Neat~

On 12/10/2021 at 11:50 PM, Sunderland 4ever said:

Awesome banner. :clap:

On 12/10/2021 at 11:50 PM, TalkThatRihanna said:

I remember you having taste last year! Ready for this :clap:

On 12/11/2021 at 1:15 AM, Remmy said:

You always know how to serve so I expect that to continue this time around :celestial4:

what YTT? :oh::oh::oh:

welp, I'm a lazy bitch to return with some good graphics on YTT section, so I'm just doing my countings in Excel :rip: 

On 12/11/2021 at 1:30 AM, dreamofyou said:

love the OP! i remember you had great taste last year so i'm ready to see this!:WAP:

On 12/11/2021 at 1:54 AM, JGibson said:

Cannot wait for these lists. 

On 12/11/2021 at 2:20 AM, dangerousalex said:

can't wait :duca:

love the OP btw!

On 12/11/2021 at 3:01 AM, Ewan Chaos said:

Always love your lists :heart: Can't wait as always

On 12/11/2021 at 3:19 AM, BlackoutZone said:

Your graphics and taste are always SUPER good, we will be stopping by

On 12/11/2021 at 6:03 AM, Sempiternal said:

Im always excited for your best ofs :WAP:

On 12/11/2021 at 7:29 AM, Cloröx said:

Looking at previous years' lists I expect Adele's slayage :santa:

30 is not allowed and I actually was disappointed :rip: 

On 12/11/2021 at 9:35 AM, Achilles. said:

Many talented legends in your previous lists, but there was one thing missing… and that was the moment I knew. :shakeno:

Considering the Kylie / Jessie domination of previous years, I will be rooting for their masterpiece of a collaboration. But I fear it may be too recent to chart high based on scrobbles. :dancehall:

Kiss of Life is going to be high next year :eli:  I listened it a lot

16 hours ago, diogozsz said:

There are some albums and songs I love on your precious lists so I'll be keeping an eye out for this :foxaylove:

16 hours ago, rvx said:

Can't wait

15 hours ago, Lazuli said:

your graphics always comes thru ugh

15 hours ago, Insanity said:

Kiss of Life :sleigh:

7 hours ago, GreatestLoveofAll said:

The graphics are everything and the taste is immaculate. Cant wait!!

4 hours ago, MP2K said:

graphics slaying already. im here

Edited by TheWayWeWere

Remember Where You Are, Silk Chiffon, Kiss of Life, All Too Well. :jonny5:

Ariana :heart:

I missed Hatchie completely so maybe I'll check her out again.

Same opinion on Positions, but still, not Ariana’s most special song.

And yes, Kelly needs a lashing. Everything she released outside Finally this year has had me puzzled. But like, why? What was the follow up going to be too?

ariana, janet, raye, charli, jessie, lana and kylie :jonny4:

i'm so excited for this :jonny5: the graphics being top notch as always :jonny4:

RWYM deserved better. Glad KOL and ATWTMVTVFTV can slay next year

DISCO, FN, BTD in the recurrents :clap3: 

Positions (song), Future Nostalgia, All Too Well and Without You :clap3:

Edited by gagacasanova

Recurrents: Rhythm Nation :worship:

Close Calls: All Too Well (TV, 10MV) + Silk Chiffon + Without You :party:

All Too Well missed the list is very concerning :chick2:

the charli domination :alexz: 

RWYA and kiss of life :worship2: 

ATWTMVFTVTV should've already made your list the day it was released! 

The vinyl concept looks so good :jonny5:

Also yes for Sugababes praise :clap3: One Touch 20th anniversary is a good way for them to do re-releases but i highly doubt that they would do it to the other Sugababes releases because of the constant members changes over the the years. Now i'm sad:gaycat6:

Remember Where You Are, Hours, Silk Chiffon, Kiss of Life & ATW 10 Minute acclaims :jonny5: Agree. Kelly Rowland make dance music again challenge :clap3:

13 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

2    Dua Lipa | Future Nostalgia
8    Kylie Minogue | DISCO

I still come back to these records, particularly Dua's, which is interesting because back then I rated it lower than Kylie's.

Recurrents~ Positions #1, hmmm :mandown: At least the title track is nice and has gotten stuck in my head a few times this year. Future Nostalgia + Born to Die :worship: Pop 2 is solid while Charli could've used some edits. || HMentions~ Hold up... This Enchanted, Hours & Silk Chiffon missing out kinda hurts :!ohno: Remember Where You Are also deserved better (and yes, thanks Obama!) Love of Your Life :jamming: I can understand why ATW10IJDFIASJF missed out.

so Imma flop bitch, so I'm not gonna wait until next page and just start here

7IrRCx3.gif

TOP 50 ALBUMS

7Le516n.png

50    Kelly Clarkson | When Christmas Comes Around…
"To be grateful for the life I've been living I'm learning to have faith in forgiving"
It feels like such a long time without Kelly's original music :'( I Dare You doesn't exist for me :fan: Wrapped In Red is classic already, so I was pretty interested in its follow-up. Break-up christmas album sounds lie a great idea on the paper, and the result is..okay, not something spectular, more mature and serious with good nostalgic/festive vibe, and new songs are all great, but I think I expected more punches on this record tbh :gaycat5: This album never reaches highs of Underneath the Tree or Just for Now, but it finds a place in her discography nicely. 
highlights: Blessed, Christmas Come Early, Glow, Christmas Isn't Canceled (Just You)

QigOlb8.png

49    Tori Amos | Ocean to Ocean
"He was good at turning me against me"
I still find so odd that a woman who released 5 masterpieces in a row in 90s are struggling to find her sound for a two decades now. Native Invader was a step in right direction, not perfect, but with some hidden gems on it. Ocean to Ocean feels like a follow-up to it in some ways, but tries to improve it thanks to its shortness and some of her best songs in years. There's still some fillers and sound is a bit samey (especially in a middle part). I truly hope she's capable of making another masterpiece, especially since she's still so good at live performances, but it feels like a lifetime since she was.. at least close to it :skull: 
highlights: Addition of Light Divided, Devil's Bane, 29 Years, Ocean to Ocean

TOP 150 SINGLES

4FRrTev.png

150    Gwen Stefani | Let Me Reintroduce Myself

"No, I'm not records on your shelf, I'm still the original old me"
It's been 5 years since Truth release, but we're still with..nothing  :skull: Both songs she released this year were a bit underwhelming to me at first, but I bopped to Slow Clap here and there, while LMRM became an actual grower. This situation kinda reminds me of Baby Don't Like/Spark the Fire droplets era, which still leads to a strong pop record in the end, so my hope is still here I guess
:skull:

sqOUmt6.png

149    Mitski | Working for the Knife

"I start the day lying and end with the truth that I'm dying for the knife"
One of the things that I love and appreciate Mitski so much is that her songs makes you actually thinking about what you've listened/watched, leaving many hidden messages/meanings in her songs and videos. Like, this song alone has so many meanings. She just can't do something wrong. 

u34qRn1.png

148    Big Red Machine, Taylor Swift | Renegade

"Is it insensitive for me to say, "Get your shit together so I can love you"?"
Teaming up with Aaron Dessner was probably one of the best decisions in Taylor's career. This song, even though it wasn't on foklore or evermore, belongs to these and actually better than some songs from particular albums. Minimal pop-folk earworm with such a touching lyrics makes you actually feel anxiety of being in toxic relationships. And how good Justin & Taylor vocals blend together. I truly need more of their duets in my life  :jonny2:

uQPraNA.png

147    Emeli Sandé | Look What You've Done

"I feel you in my blood stream, you're in my DNA"
It's so sad that when Emeli's music became better she flopped :'( This one she produced herself, and unlike more anthemic 'Family' it finds inspiration in cold garage music. Amazing banger that showcases how diverse she is. 

GCFa6lM.png

146    Cheat Codes, Tinashe | Lean on Me

"Will you love me through the hell of it when the battle's rough?"
Silly pop bop, but I kinda fell in love with it. It's just so catchy and feel-good track. And music video was so visually beautiful so song grows so much on you. PS: Tinashe has perfect voice for dance music I must say.

948MKpt.png

145    RAYE | Regardless

"Four, five glasses all alone"
RAYE sis really nailed this one, I loved that song since EP came out for its brilliant use of sample, and music video just elevated this to another level, I'm glad she finds some success with this single, but it definely deserved to be bigger, this sounds like club classic.

4nMyfae.png

144    Jazmine Sullivan | Tragic

"What he failed to tell you was when you're on my time, I can reclaim it"
I'm so glad to finally see Jazmine's success and appreciation. 'Tragic' serves as continuation piece to Heaux Tales and I hope it's a tease for upcoming project and she's not going to disappear for another 6 years :'( Spectecular track in the best tradition of r&b break-up anthems. Maxine Waters' sample was brilliant! 

as usual, thank y'all for comments :heart2:

Spoiler
2 hours ago, Remmy said:

Recurrents~ Positions #1, hmmm :mandown: At least the title track is nice and has gotten stuck in my head a few times this year. Future Nostalgia + Born to Die :worship: Pop 2 is solid while Charli could've used some edits. || HMentions~ Hold up... This Enchanted, Hours & Silk Chiffon missing out kinda hurts :!ohno: Remember Where You Are also deserved better (and yes, thanks Obama!) Love of Your Life :jamming: I can understand why ATW10IJDFIASJF missed out.

3 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

I still come back to these records, particularly Dua's, which is interesting because back then I rated it lower than Kylie's.

so true, I kinda felt FN was just okay when it was released, but I find myself listening to it whole year :rip: 

4 hours ago, Grumpy Cat said:

Oh shit those visuals :clap3::clap3::clap3:

7 hours ago, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

The vinyl concept looks so good :jonny5:

Also yes for Sugababes praise :clap3: One Touch 20th anniversary is a good way for them to do re-releases but i highly doubt that they would do it to the other Sugababes releases because of the constant members changes over the the years. Now i'm sad:gaycat6:

Remember Where You Are, Hours, Silk Chiffon, Kiss of Life & ATW 10 Minute acclaims :jonny5: Agree. Kelly Rowland make dance music again challenge :clap3:

wait, I just realized this :deadbanana2:

8 hours ago, Lazuli said:

the charli domination :alexz: 

RWYA and kiss of life :worship2: 

ATWTMVFTVTV should've already made your list the day it was released! 

she will next year :gaycat1:

8 hours ago, Cloröx said:

All Too Well missed the list is very concerning :chick2:

she needs to wait for next year sis :fan: 

9 hours ago, rvx said:

Nice mixture of new and old songs and albums :sistrens:

10 hours ago, dreamofyou said:

all too well and silk chiffon:WAP:

11 hours ago, potent said:

Silk Chiffon, This Enchanted, RWYA :clap3:

11 hours ago, dangerousalex said:

Ariana , Charli and Raye :clap3:

12 hours ago, JGibson said:

Recurrents: Rhythm Nation :worship:

Close Calls: All Too Well (TV, 10MV) + Silk Chiffon + Without You :party:

12 hours ago, gagacasanova said:

Positions (song), Future Nostalgia, All Too Well and Without You :clap3:

14 hours ago, Legend E said:

i'm so excited for this :jonny5: the graphics being top notch as always :jonny4:

RWYM deserved better. Glad KOL and ATWTMVTVFTV can slay next year

DISCO, FN, BTD in the recurrents :clap3: 

15 hours ago, worldwide angel said:

ariana, janet, raye, charli, jessie, lana and kylie :jonny4:

15 hours ago, MP2K said:

I missed Hatchie completely so maybe I'll check her out again.

Same opinion on Positions, but still, not Ariana’s most special song.

And yes, Kelly needs a lashing. Everything she released outside Finally this year has had me puzzled. But like, why? What was the follow up going to be too?

her career seems so stale since TAGG, even though it was one of her 2 actually good albums :deadbanana4:

16 hours ago, Sempiternal said:

Ariana :heart:

16 hours ago, TalkThatRihanna said:

Without You Remix & RWYA :clap:

16 hours ago, Achilles. said:

Remember Where You Are, Silk Chiffon, Kiss of Life, All Too Well. :jonny5:

lean on me i think ive heard that one

regardless is a good one too and renegade :sleigh:

btw whats the pts?

Renegade and Mitski :clap3:

I should check Kelly’s new Christmas stuff. :cupid:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.