• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ATRL Username

• Sanguine

• Sunderland 4ever

• Ttoki

21 hours ago, ATRL Username said:

Rare to Wake by Shannon Lay

A great track I happen to see for the first time on the YECDs. Keep it up! :hippo:

Image may contain Furniture Human and Person

Matsor Projects

Rostam: “4Runner”

Rostam’s twelve-string tribute to the open road would make anyone swoon, but this love song may hold special significance for queer people. “Don’t wanna be pretty like a girl,” he sings. “I think I’m pretty much your boy.” For anyone who’s ever felt like a foreigner in their own skin, being seen in the right way by the right person—handsome rather than beautiful, say—can feel like a homecoming. In “4Runner,” Rostam and his love make a new home for themselves on the highway, leaving the familiar behind and driving forward into a future that once seemed impossible. –Peyton Thomas

Listen: Rostam, “4Runner”

Image may contain Graphics Art Advertisement and Poster

Wharf Cat

Water From Your Eyes: ““Quotations””

Water From Your Eyes’ ““Quotations”” manages to seem offhanded and rigorous at once, moving restlessly but with almost neurotic precision. As the Brooklyn art-pop duo stitches disconnected observations—legs stretching on grass, something in the air flying by—the music comes together as an alien collage, with errant elements meticulously arranged: bubbly synths, fractured percussive clicks, a disorienting vocal loop, a sprawling breakbeat. When the track ascends to its abrupt ending, it is as though a portal has opened up, and we’re suddenly sucked back to reality. –Kelly Liu

Listen: Water From Your Eyes, ““Quotations””

Rough Trade

Rough Trade

Dean Blunt: “the rot”

Dean Blunt’s music can often be sparse. He renders club rap bangers into acoustic ballads, compressing each recording to its emotional core. Black Metal 2 offers some of the most accessible music of his career, and with “the rot” the artist approaches Britpop. Blunt’s intimate, monotone croon is familiar, but the sweeping strings and lightly twanging guitars are disarmingly luxurious. As the song closes, he cedes ground to Joanne Robertson, whose airy and overdubbed vocals melt into a gentle, orchestral whirlpool. Call it Dean Blunt’s “Bitter Sweet Symphony.” –Nadine Smith

Image may contain Text and Alphabet

Mexican Summer

Iceage: “Shelter Song”

Iceage’s album-opening “Shelter Song” is a wearily triumphant reintroduction to the band: no longer the fresh-faced punks of records past, they slouch onto Seek Shelter like hardened rockers, armed with Screamadelica bombast and Exile on Main St. scuzz. The song builds over a jagged riff; soon, the Lisboa Gospel Collective bolsters vocalist Elias Bender Rønnenfelt’s gravelly tones. As he sings of getting kicked and knocked down, the band swells in commiseration, offering shelter where they once might have added to the melee. –Daniel Felsenthal

Further Reading: Iceage’s Ruthless Evolution

Listen: Iceage, “Shelter Song”

Hyperdub

Hyperdub

Foodman: “Parking Area”

True to his name, Foodman loves to eat. Some of his favorite places to grab a snack are the michi no eki (service stations) which dot Japan’s highways—often sprawling campuses with spas, cafés, and farmers markets. Foodman pays tribute to these roadside oases on his 2021 album Yasuragi Land, and on “Parking Area,” he sketches a scenic view that might entice a weary traveler to pull over. His palette is more spacious than usual; a breezy, digitally altered guitar drives the melody, leaving more room for his nimble beats to ping-pong around than his often jam-packed tunes typically do. “Parking Area” invites you to take a moment to enjoy life’s simplest pleasures. Treat yourself. You deserve it. –Shy Thompson

Listen: Foodman, “Parking Area”

Image may contain Human Person Transportation Vehicle and Atv

Relentless / House Anxiety

Bad Boy Chiller Crew: “Don’t You Worry About Me”

Besides standing in a wind tunnel and letting the air peel your lips back, there were few more effective ways of stretching your face into a huge, shit-eating grin this year than drinking in UK dance/rap trio Bad Boy Chiller Crew’s speedy fusion of organ house and balls-to-the-wall bass. The boys from Bradford have worked out what they do well (beers, bangers, bikes) and they’re sticking with it. “Don’t You Worry About Me” refines the formula: A whale-sized hook backed up with boisterous bars and a shot of humour to chase it down. Git up. –Will Pritchard

Listen: Bad Boy Chiller Crew, “Don’t You Worry About Me”

Image may contain Nature Outdoors and Sky

4AD

Helado Negro: “Gemini and Leo”

Where Helado Negro’s 2019 breakthrough This Is How You Smile was an intimate self-portrait, on followup Far In, Roberto Carlos Lange adjusts his aperture to capture something bigger: the cosmos. The twinkling funk of lead single “Gemini and Leo,” which was appropriately released on the summer solstice, radiates pure warmth. With each sweep of the chorus Lange’s voice tilts skyward, yet the elegant bassline and assured beat remain earthbound, accompanying the song’s titular star-crossed dancers as they stay locked in a groove and glide through an hour undefined. –Gabriel Szatan

Listen: Helado Negro, “Gemini and Leo”

Image may contain Art and Graffiti

Saddle Creek

Indigo De Souza: “Hold U”

As comfortable as Indigo De Souza is with solitude, she knows the company you keep can help further your journey to acceptance. Over the sleek, funk-lite groove of “Hold U,” the Asheville musician proclaims her adoration for the community she’s built into her own personal safety net: “I want the best things for you,” she coos, like a wedding vow exchange you can’t help but shed a tear to. “Hold U” is a cathartic reminder that the people you surround yourself with are often the clearest reflection of your own psyche, and if you find the type of friends that she describes, loving yourself feels less like a task. –Abby Jones

Listen: Indigo De Souza, “Hold U”

Image may contain Animal Bird Waterfowl Heron Ardeidae Stork and Flying

Bruiser Brigade

Bruiser Wolf: “Dope Game $tupid”

Bruiser Wolf can sound like a stand-up comedian, an Adult Swim character, and the silkiest mack alive all at the same time. On “Dope Game $tupid,” over a beat as shaky as a Jenga tower, he races through daft sex brags before getting stuck on a single point: Dealing is dumb, but it’s damn hard to quit. “The dope game stupid, but the boy still do it,” he repeats on the hook. In Wolf’s hands, the struggle sounds almost hallucinogenic, with images of coke cooking in potholes and a potential snitch keeping as silent as an imaginary friend. He’s weird and darkly funny—but stupid? Like a fox. –Dean Van Nguyen

Image may contain Art Painting and Graphics

Matador

Lucy Dacus: “VBS”

Lucy Dacus strolls glumly in the chasm between preteen faith and life’s holy shitshow on “VBS” (short for Vacation Bible School). She offers a few of the expected observations—blubbering worshipers, the cool pastor—but soon homes in on one other student: a poem-scrawling, nutmeg-abusing metalhead from a troubled family. “You were gonna win me over from the start,” she smiles, but her younger self is trying to win him. Pinning effortless internal rhyme to the solemn strum of campfire praise, Dacus sketches her one-time boyfriend—and her attempts at saving his soul—with incisive resignation. “All it did, in the end,” she sighs, “was make the dark feel darker than before” –Brad Shoup

Listen: Lucy Dacus, “VBS”

The absolute CHAOS of this thread :ahh:

Gemini and Leo is flawless and probably will be ATRL underrated (but not underrated by other publications!)

haven't heard any of these :weeps:   

31 minutes ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Gemini and Leo is flawless and probably will be ATRL underrated (but not underrated by other publications!)

I hope so! I've been meaning to check out some publications' lists.

Yes Indigo! Yes talent! :clap3:

I've listened to the Lucy Dacus album once but never really got the hype over it 

13 hours ago, diogozsz said:

Rostam and Indigo FADS but yes Lucy yes list!

Lucy is the real fad tyvm x

I love 4Runner. Great to see it here. :clap:

Gemini and Leo and VBS are some other tracks I know and like!

Wow, the presentation is on POINT. You also have such an eclectic taste in music, I'm impressed. :clap:

1 hour ago, Sanguine said:

Incredible graphics, omg at you getting a StateFarm partnership, they know everyone is checking your list :jonny:

:deadbanana4::toofunny2:

Lil nas :heart:

wow love the graphics and eloquent write ups :smitten: Wild Side and Fellowship did that huh 

Normani having the last laugh, we love to see it!

I haven't heard anything new from Jayda since Significant Changes. Let me check that one out.

I've heard Mystery. Not my cup of tea but it's alright.

Happier Than Ever :worship:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.