SLIME21 | FINALLY DONE!

SLIME

14. Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee
(indie pop, chamber pop)
THESE ONES!: Paprika, Kokomo IN, Posing for Cars

Carries a triumphant vibe even as it works through tough emotions. She's been consistent across her whole career under the JB name but I think this is her most fully-realized project yet. So proud of her for her success.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SLIME

• Sunderland 4ever

• TheWayWeWere

• World Eater

13. Darkside - Spiral
(neo-psychedelia, art rock)
THESE ONES!: The Limit, Lawmaker, Inside Is Out There

Love how rich their instrumentation is; this album sounds like a sinking a magical swamp. This collaboration is so special for its mix of traditional psychedelics with the benefit of a electronic master’s touch. Also they dragged the CDC on Lawmaker. Ahead of their time.

12. Summer Walker - Still Over It
(contemporary R&B)
THESE ONES!: Unloyal, No Love, You Don’t Know Me

Been obsessed with her voice since I heard it but as her first album took its time to grip me as a whole, I was impressed how fast I was pulled into this one. Consistently top-of-the-line mainstream R&B that spills so much tea it’s hard to look away.

11. Magdalena Bay - Mercurial World
(synthpop)
THESE ONES!: Chaeri, You Lose, Follow the Leader, Dreamcatcher

Wasn't sure if they were my core or not but they won me over with the strength of their craft. Catchy, deeply produced songs front-to-back with just the slightest dark edge.

10. Tyler, the Creator - Call Me If You Get Lost
(West Coast hip hop)
THESE ONES!: Lumberjack, Hot Wind Blows, Juggernaut

LOVE THIS THROWBACK TO THE WAYNE ERA!!! Tyler's last two were each rewarding projects but I do love see him back in his rapping bag with the added maturity he's picked up over the years.

9. PinkPantheress - To Hell with It
(atmospheric drum & bass, contemporary R&B)
THESE ONES!: Noticed I Cried, Just for Me

Don't be late to her concert!

8. Madlib - Sound Ancestors
(instrumental hip hop, jazz rap)
THESE ONES!: The Call, Loose Goose, Duumbiyay

It’s Madlib and Four Tet. Think this taps into to a more spiritual/healing feel than the typical selection of Madlib beats. Have to mention the sequencing too which flows through a lot of moods (retro and futuristic) with professionalism. Last track in particular is really heartfelt. Very carefully constructed to where as I'd come back to different tracks, I hear new things each time. Super fresh.

7. Slayyyter - Troubled Paradise
(electropop, hyperpop)
THESE ONES!: Troubled Paradise, Over This!, Cowboys, Letters, Villain, Throatzillaaa

Honestly... she hits all of the right buttons for me so easily. This tracklist contained at least 6 of the best pop songs of the year and I played them all year long. Crunchy, heartfelt, dynamic, and proving she can be more than the raunchy cyber-girl. Slayyy!

6. JPEGMAFIA - LP!
(experimental hip hop, hardcore hip hop)
THESE ONES!: Trust!, Dirty!, OG!

He was already a fav of mine but I feel like he refined his craft a lot on this LP!, doing away with some of the edgier/cringier moments of before. Addictive glitchy beats and strong delivery made this a hit.

5. Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert
(UK hip hop, conscious hip hop)
THESE ONES!: Introvert, Woman, Standing Ovation

This is just an opus, so clearly crafted with care and impeccable skill; can't see anyone else making an album like this. The rich, infectious production is the perfect compliment to her storytelling.

4. Spirit of the Beehive - ENTERTAINMENT, DEATH!
(neo-psychedelia, noise pop)
THESE ONES!: There’s Nothing You Can’t Do, The Server Is Immersed, I Suck the Devil’s Cock

Fell hard for this band over the past year. It was the song titles that drew me on but they're nothing compared to the actual sound of the songs. This album sounds like wandering through a haunted house, truly not knowing what's around the next corner even if you think you've lived it before. So much to dig into.

3. Rochelle Jordan - Play with the Changes
(alternative R&B, UK bass)
THESE ONES!: Love You Good, Got Em, Next 2 You, All Along, Broken Steel, Dancing Elephants

One of my absolute favorite comebacks of the last several years is Rochelle re-emerging with a fresh new sound in collaboration with some of the best producers in the game. This is the dance music we deserve, losing none of its soulful roots. Just an unbelievably rich musical ecosystem. Genuinely stunning all around.

2. Arca - Kick ii, Kick iii, Kick iiii, Kick iiiii
(Latin electronic, deconstructed club/experimental hip hop, ambient pop, ambient/modern classical)
THESE ONES!: Prada, Tiro, Bruja, Incendio, Ripples, Intimate Flesh, Pu, Crown

I knew from KiCK i that something special was happening... and after a wait, the Diva Experimental BLEW MY MIND with the level and sheer amount of content that filled out the remainder of the Kick universe. She gave me enough to dig into for years and years, with something for every mood I could possibly imagine. A milestone for electronic music.

Note that KicK iii is the actual Album of the Year. Actually ******* insane.

1. Playboi Carti - Whole Lotta Red
(vampire trap)
THESE ONES!: Rockstar Made, Stop Breathing, M3tamorphosis, No Sl33p, Vamp Anthem, New N3on, Control, King Vamp. Die4Guy

SLATT!

Never had so much fun listening to music and that's what it's about.

Visual

lKNJyOq.jpg

Ok so I gtg to an important thing to support a friend. I will dump a songs list when I'm back but if this section closes :chick3: i'll post to RYM and also Spotify (linked). I always prove myself incapable of finishing things but thank you all for supporting the cause :heart: I'm looking forward to diving into everyone's lists to find what I missed because there's always something. 2022 is gonna be lit I'm calling it.

the bug, rochelle, slayyyter, etc. ill check others out too after this. amazing list.

carti album ive seen, it is polarizing either love or hate among fans, well i gotta check that too.

so true twinnie, I always love reading your thoughts

1 hour ago, SLIME said:

that's what it's about

let's leave it on that note

Some great choices in your top 25 as per usual :clap3: 

Playboi Carti is #2deep4me but love the rest of the stuff I heard.

Can't wait for your songs dump!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.