• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SLIME

• Sunderland 4ever

• TheWayWeWere

• World Eater

late comment on EP, LSDXOXO snapped along bunch of uk underground based, KAYTRANADA, KKB, Doss also serve.

Jimmy Edgar, Snoh, and Genesis :clap3: 

5 hours ago, SLIME said:

I haven't seen anyone else talk about how "Notice" is the bop of the year, but I will.

Just wait :eli: 

13 hours ago, SLIME said:

Cassandra Jenkins - An Overview on Phenomenal Nature

Michelangelo was my favorite too. :clap:

IICHLIWP could've been on main list :'( bitch should've make the era better tho

HMs (LPs) Pt. 2

ZRsOhPU.png

New Age Doom & Lee "Scratch" Perry - Lee "Scratch" Perry's Guide to the Universe
(neo-psychedelia, drone)
THESE ONES!: It’s really all one piece just split across 6 tracks, so jump in wherever.

After dub music legend Lee “Scratch” Perry passed away this year, I was intrigued to see he had one last surprise in the works for us: a collaboration with Vancouver drone metal outfit New Age Doom. It’s a total psychedelic jazz odyssey, and its energy reminds me of a certain other project this year made between an established legend and a younger act -- though darker and more cosmic in nature. RIP and thanks for the music.

Injury Reserve - By the Time I Get to Phoenix
(experimental hip hop, glitch hop, experimental)
THESE ONES!: Outside, Wild Wild West, Superman That

Genuinely, of all the rap I’ve listened to, Phoenix goes almost the farthest in terms of expanding past the traditional barriers of “hip hop” into something... idk, I don't even know what to call this right now. It’s a challenging listen both emotionally and sonically but I really admire the band’s surviving members pushing a brave way forward in the face of sad circumstances.

Sleigh Bells - Texis
(noise pop, electropop)
THESE ONES! Locust Laced, Red Flag Flies, Hummingbird Bomb

Listen, I LOVE this band and I’ll go up to bat for Treats being a 10/10 classic any day of the week. With each release (though mostly good), they’ve strayed a bit farther from that album’s magic formula to mixed results and I’ve wondered at times how much they’ve still got it. I thought Texis found a balance between familiar + new sounds, and made both work.

Clairo - Sling
(singer/songwriter, folk)
THESE ONES!: Amoeba, Zinnias

She went for more of a classic sound vs. a trendy one which resulted in fewer highlights than Immunity, but a smoother + more sophisticated listen front-to-back. Great album to throw on while you’re taking a nap, which sounds shady but isn’t.

Low - Hey What
(ambient pop, post-industrial, experimental rock)
THESE ONES!: White Horses, Days Like These

Have to respect them as a band for moving forward and embracing technology in a cool way. Thank you Charli XCX’s BJ Burton, very cool!

ThouxanBanFauni - Time of My Life
(psychedelic trap)
THESE ONES!: Midnight Club, Forza, Oceanside

He comes a lot closer than others to replicating the buzz only Carti can give me -- though more so with his alien-sounding beats than delivery or adlib-wise. Obsessed with his album artworks also.

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Candy Racer
(J-pop, dance-pop, electropop)
THESE ONES!: Candy Racer, Jumping Up, World Fabrication

The PONPONPON chanteuse and superproducer Nakata return to remind us that music is supposed to be fun. I mostly prefer the moments which venture into various hardcore/chaotic EDM subgenres, but she makes it work even on, say the jazzy closer.

Billie Eilish - Happier than Ever
("alt"-pop, R&B)
THESE ONES!: Oxytocin, Billie Bossa Nova, Happier than Ever

I thought her debut hinted at some interesting directions, which this record proceeded to actually explore. Yes it’s a little sprawling and unfocused but quality-wise I’d say this was the opposite of a sophomore slump.

Armand Hammer & The Alchemist - Haram
(abstract hip hop, hardcore hip hop)
THESE ONES!: Black Sunlight, Aubergine, Falling out the Sky

A+H have turned out some of the most impressive hip hop of the past couple years, if not the easiest to listen to. The Alchemist helps them address that last part with beats maybe just a touch more grounded than those on Paraffin or Shrines. It’s an appropriate counterbalance to B.Woods & Elucid’s typically cryptic and heavy lyricism. With more time, I think I could keep finding lyrical gems to unpick for a long while going forward.

Silk Sonic - An Evening with Silk Sonic
(smooth soul)
THESE ONES!: Fly as Me, Smokin Out the Window

Man, we’ve come a long way from Bruno’s corny early days. Though I wasn’t feeling “Leave the Door Open” as it smashed, I’m pleased to say the Silk Sonic aesthetic (now that we have multiple songs to judge) is a great example of genre revivalism done right: he and .Paak have clearly studied to understand what made the soul music of past eras great, and they tastefully update this with modern production values and a crucial sense of FUN.

• ATRL Moderator

Texis deserved more!  YOu should give it more listens.

I never got around to Injury Reserve which is sad becuase I'd probably like it (same with Bruno)

Billie Eilish - Happier than Ever

Silk Sonic - An Evening with Silk Sonic

I love these two. :clap:

I’ll have to get into Sleigh Bells! And I get what you mean about Sling, it’s a good album & respectable but less of a *standout*

HTE :heart2:

1 hour ago, wish said:

I’ll have to get into Sleigh Bells! And I get what you mean about Sling, it’s a good album & respectable but less of a *standout*

HTE :heart2:

Wait yes please they kinda invented “hyperpop” :jonny5:Treats is like the cheerleader’d version of M.I.A.’s /\/\/\Y/\ if u like that album.

I thought Sling was better than Immunity overall but it doesn’t exactly have a “Bags” is what I meant.

HMs (LPs) Pt. 3

2pyBJgT.png

Sega Bodega - Romeo
(alternative R&B, electronic, art pop)
THESE ONES!: Effeminacy, Only Seeing God When I Come, Romeo, Luci

Funny how different his solo work can be from some of the bonkers shit he’s produced on. Feel like this was an important release in terms of nailing down a signature sound that works for him. Some of the softer cuts are just lovely.

A. G. Cook - Dream Logic
(bubblegum bass)
THESE ONES!: XCXoplex, Show Me What (Dream Mix), Jónsi - Wildeye (A. G. Club Mix)

Fun fact: This was my #25 until I re-listened to another HM and decided that one needed a spot more. Kind of an interesting project; at times it does feel like a continuous “DJ mix,” but then at others it just seems he felt like doing a hard drive dump. Cohesivity aside, no one produces like A. G. does and I found this to be a comforting world to dive into numerous times over the year.

Namasenda - Unlimited Ammo
(bubblegum bass, hyperpop[?])
THESE ONES!: Black Ops 2, Demonic, Steel, Unlimited Ammo

I owe this one a little bit more time still, but I’m impressed with the vision. Namasenda brings a sweet personality to contrast with the more abrasive sounds of PC Music. Slappers to go around.

Sufjan Stevens & Angelo De Augustine - A Beginner’s Mind
(indie folk)
THESE ONES!: Olympus, Cimmerian Shade

Haven’t delved that far into the lyrics to say much more, but this is just a really pretty album, that’s all. Out of the major 2000s indie stars, I think Suf may have done the best job at pushing his sound forward in a natural way.

Lady Gaga - Dawn of Chromatica
(house, hyperpop kinda)
THESE ONES!: 911 Charli & A. G. remix, Free Woman Rina Sawayama & Clarence Clarity remix, Enigma Doss remix

Still Chromatica at its core for better or worse, but it was exciting to see the musicians featured here gain some deserved recognition on a mainstream level. Kind of scattershot but the best moments elevate.

St. Vincent - Daddy’s Home
(art rock, psychedelic soul)
THESE ONES!: Live in the Dream, The Melting of the Sun

Not her most electric project but I admire her seeing this aesthetic all the way through, as well as her commitment to giving each album its own distinct feel. Maybe I'm just stoned at the STD clinic...

Black midi - Cavalcade
(avant-prog)
THESE ONES!: John L, Dethroned

Well, there’s a lot going on in this album. A lot of big “indie” releases just don’t really excite me anymore but the instrumentation on this one is rich enough to give me something to focus on. Very chaotic band for these chaotic times.

Fax Gang - Aethernet
(“HexD,” cloud rap, electropop)
THESE ONES!: Itsumo, Shotgun

So this is what the kids are into these days. A favorite from early early this year. I’m excited for more like this to come out of the 2000s revival.

Tirzah - Colourgrade
(minimal wave, art pop)
THESE ONES!: Hive Mind, Send Me, Hips

A lot of textures to sink into despite how minimal it is. A mature, restrained and challenging evolution of the sound on her first album.

Joy Orbison - Still Slipping Vol. 1
(UK bass)
THESE ONES!: Sparko, ‘Rraine, Froth Sipping

EDM (Emotional Dance Music).

1 hour ago, SLIME said:

St. Vincent - Daddy’s Home

The Melting Of The Sun :clap: Although I prefer Somebody Like Me.

Tirzah and Namasenda :heart2: Honestly Dawn of Chromatica is my fav thing Gaga's been involved in since like 2011 :deadbanana2:

I had Fax Gang saved since the beginning of this year and just never got around to it. Maybe I'll use this as an excuse :duck: 

Some other good albums listed overall (Billie, St. V, Bruno, etc.)

Really wanted to like the Black Midi album but it was 2 much 4 me :santa: 

Dawn of Chromatica feels like Chromatica on drugs :jonny5: love how multi-sided it is

Spoiler
3 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

Dawn of Chromatica feels like Chromatica on drugs :jonny5: love how multi-sided it is

3 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

I had Fax Gang saved since the beginning of this year and just never got around to it. Maybe I'll use this as an excuse :duck: 

Some other good albums listed overall (Billie, St. V, Bruno, etc.)

Really wanted to like the Black Midi album but it was 2 much 4 me :santa: 

6 hours ago, TRF. said:

Tirzah and Namasenda :heart2: Honestly Dawn of Chromatica is my fav thing Gaga's been involved in since like 2011 :deadbanana2:

16 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

The Melting Of The Sun :clap: Although I prefer Somebody Like Me.

On 12/26/2021 at 4:59 PM, D/X said:

Sleigh Bells :clap3: Listening to the album right now!

On 12/25/2021 at 12:34 AM, Lazuli said:

texis, sling, hey what, happier than ever :jonny: sad they're only HMs! 

On 12/24/2021 at 12:54 PM, worldwide angel said:

happier than ever :clap3:

sling :clap3:

kyary:clap3:

On 12/24/2021 at 12:26 PM, madonnas said:

Texis deserved more!  YOu should give it more listens.

I never got around to Injury Reserve which is sad becuase I'd probably like it (same with Bruno)

On 12/23/2021 at 3:03 PM, dangerousalex said:

Halsey and Snoh :clap3:

On 12/23/2021 at 6:48 AM, Polgg48 said:

late comment on EP, LSDXOXO snapped along bunch of uk underground based, KAYTRANADA, KKB, Doss also serve.

On 12/23/2021 at 5:34 AM, dreamofyou said:

halsey just making a HM:monkey:

On 12/19/2021 at 11:05 PM, Ace Reject said:

A slay!

On 12/17/2021 at 11:42 PM, Ewan Chaos said:

Kaytranada's EP was cute!

Kero Kero Bonito and Doss are the true stars of this list. :clap:

On 12/17/2021 at 12:26 PM, theblackestday said:

Kelela we're sorry please come back to us

On 12/17/2021 at 12:05 PM, World Eater said:

it's the music for me

On 12/16/2021 at 11:46 AM, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

The massive acclaim for Intimidated, Civilisation II & 4 New Hit Songs  :jonny5:

I haven't listen to Yves' new EP yet and i've read that it's not as good as '....Tortured Mind' but let me lower expecttion for this

On 12/15/2021 at 4:14 PM, Tom Vercetti said:

gr8 ep list. E still hasn't clicked with me but for some reason ecco's ep was amusing enough. I think the "glitch-pop" area was served well in a small package. Civilisation 2 > one for sure. Princess is great but Well Rested is also worthy too. 4 hit songs #1 feels earned. I definitely prefer her 2014 ep but 4 hits songs can hold its own too with the diversity it offers. 

On 12/15/2021 at 2:04 PM, BlackoutZone said:

Hyd and Kaytranada :clap3:

On 12/15/2021 at 12:18 PM, Grumpy Cat said:

Dua, Doja, Sophie!!!

On 12/15/2021 at 1:35 AM, hofork said:

Rakky Ripper's EP was sooo good. You made me realize I forgot to include her on my own list, I loved Whatever and Coyote so much :sad:

I'll check out Hyd too, that seems interesting~

On 12/13/2021 at 4:20 AM, ChapelHooker said:

hifn, wyp? :jonny2:

On 12/12/2021 at 8:26 PM, Sanguine said:

The AOTY :jonny:Charli is the music industry future of pop whatever whatever it’s TRUE. Alias and Kick too :clap3:

Loooove Damn Daniel, Volcano, Boss Bitch and especially iPhone (can she go in that direction permanently?)

On 12/12/2021 at 8:22 PM, Mr. Loco said:

Future Nostalgia is such a great album, I've been boping to it since 2 years ago already :gaycat1:

On 12/12/2021 at 2:05 PM, Tsareena said:

:jonnycat: 2020 lists a serve

On 12/12/2021 at 2:50 AM, Sbbmsve said:

Kick i, 7G, Magic OPN :jonny2: Magic OPN was so underrated 

On 12/11/2021 at 12:07 PM, Remmy said:

Damn Daniel :smile: After Hours :jamming: Boss Bitch is pretty much the only Doja song I've connected to so far... || Dua & Jessie were 2020 highlights for sure :clap3: how i'm feeling now... not as much :fan: But there are some strong standouts for sure!

TYSM FOR COMMENTING  :falcon: :clap3: last set of these and then we get to the fun part :~)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.