Ewan Chaos's Best of 2021! | Albums 5-1 + Songs 10-1

Ewan Chaos

whew, some of these EPs. the 1-2-3 punch with rebecca, beabadoobee, & doss :clap3:

yukika's was a v pleasant surprise, bc i remember not being too fond of her album. :jamming:

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ewan Chaos

• TheWayWeWere

• Sunderland 4ever

• Lazuli

The Bea EP really is better than her disappointing album. We need more Colognes from her.
Your top 5 EPs are all great :jonny: except Gallant cause I don't know her but gonna have to check it out

9 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

I don't think I've… ever listened to a Jazmine album before? Well, EP in this case. So let me know if you have suggestions from her other work!

you should listen Reality Show NOW sis :jonny5: it's her magnum opus, Love Me Back and Fearless had some great highs too, but she made some points with RS

Heaux Tales is flawless, I'm so glad she got some praise and success with this one

AHH Yukikallah praise I can always trust you :gaycat1:

The comma is there, cause timeabout is (or was?) set to be the first release of the trilogy we were supposed to get this year - at least she teased so when it came out. But she ended up spending the rest of the year on collabs and droplets so idk what's next, hopefully we still get those two other minis soon enough or she surprises us with another full album. I agree that Soul Lady was better, but this is another excellent project from her.

I don't think I've… ever listened to a Jazmine album before?

same :toofunny2: i didn't know she was a serious artist nnnnnn

where's aespa on this list sis! :eli: 

17 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

4.) Jazmine Sullivan - Heaux Tales

All this time, I thought it was an album. Lol, I remember making a similar mistake with the first Ginger Root release back in 2017.

The only one of those worst albums I listened to was Zayn's album (which yes you were correct in saying When Love's Around was the saving grace, and you should say it :clap3:) so I guess I dodged plenty of bullets :sistrens: 

EPs: I've got Doss saved so I can't wait to check that out, yes to Yves and Jazmine :clap3: 

If you haven't checked out Jazmine's Reality Show you definitely should.

I'm actually glad you listed Gallant cuz I had that EP saved for months and haven't touched lol

Id comment on the eps but i havent heard any of them except some of Jasmine which was ok i need to give it a relisten

Yall I got busy last night and didn't have the chance to reply to Best Ofs yesterday. I'm working remote prob the rest of the week so I should be able to stay caught up more frequently! I'll do prob just album HMs and reply to yall today.

Best Albums of 2021 | Honorable Mentions

HM.) Twin Shadow - Twin Shadow

Can't remember liking his last album as much as this one. No clue why Pitchfork panned it. It's a fun little summery album that does take one song to get properly into the quality. I don't expect ATRL to like this at all so... if you haven't listen maybe just skip it LOL.

Yass: Sugarcane, Get Closer, Johnny & Jonnie

Naur: Modern Man

HM.) Majid Jordan - Wildest Dreams

I think I've always liked their albums, though I only really LOVED their second album. I think the short length works to the album's favor. I am also quite surprised that Waves of Blue never became a hit! They played it on the radio quite a bit, and I only listen to like 10min of radio a year. Also the album cover is so fucking stupid that I have no choice but to kinda like it because it makes me kii.

Yass: Summer Rain, Waves of Blue, Life Worth Living, Been Through That

Naur: Wildest Dreams, Forget About the Party

HM.) Lorde - Solar Power

While the OTT hate this album got was actually kinda fun to partake in, it was a little much since I think this album is pretty cute. Clearly doesn't touch a pretty little hair on Melodrama's head, but is better than the overrated Pure Heroine. I guess Ella is just one of those people that works best writing about romance/relationships and should just stay in that territory? Appreciate her for trying something new. Also... when people try and drag this/the title track for sounding like a anti-diarrheal pill commercial... I don't find that shady? kldmsldhsklhds idk how to explain it, it's cute. Can't believe she bungled having Robyn on her album like that tho :skull:

Yass: Mood Ring, Solar Power, Fallen Fruit

Naur: Leader of a New Regime, Stoned at the Nail Salon, Big Star

HM.) Agnes - Magic Still Exists

It is kinda weird to me to hear the Release Me songstress on disco-tinged bops like this. It's a good album that may grow on me as time goes on. Certainly doesn't touch any of the disco albums of last year or any of the more disco/funk elements of albums from this year, but, still really good.

Yass: 24 Hours, Fingers Crossed, Love and Appreciation

Naur: Magic Still Exists

HM.) Walk the Moon - HEIGHTS

Not as bad as I thought it'd be. I still think their 2017 album is the truly underrated best album in their catalogue. I'm prob one of the few people who actually like them on here tho :deadbanana:

Yass: Heights, Giants, Someone Else's Game

Naur: Rise Up

HM.) Sleigh Bells - Texis

Sleigh Bells more like SLAY Bells yass pills etc. Probably their best album since their debut, which is kind of a shame given how many albums they had in between nnn. Red Flag giving me baby Crown on the Ground teas WHEW.

Yass: Red Flag Flies, Hummingbird Bomb, An Acre Lost, Locust Laced

Naur: n/a

HM.) Danny L Harle - Harlecore

Fun hyperpop/drum-n-bass record! I think y'all hated this outside of like one songs tho LMFAO. Such a shame the Caroline songs are the worst.

Yass: Take My Heart Away, Interlocked, Piano Song, On A Mountain

HM.) Lil Nas X - Montero

Very pleasantly surprised he's releasing actually good music after his shitty debut EP. That may be the reason why I ranked this highly, but I do actually think most of the album is quite good!

Yass: Montero (Call Me By Your Name), Industry Baby, Lost in the Citadel 

Naur: Void

HM.) JMSN - Heals Me

Happy that he released an album this year since this is basically the longest break he's had between them (he was serving Rihanna yearly releases from 2016-2018). I still think Velvet is his best work, but Heals Me is still good and not his worst album, imo. Always love the sexy bops from him.

Yass: Rolling Stone, Guilty Conscience, Don't Make Me Change

HM.) Róisín Murphy - Crooked Machine

I don't think I'll ever put remix albums in my Best Of albums lists (I don't think you'll see any remix album songs on that list either?), but I wanted to highlight that Crooked Machine is definitely my favorite, followed by that Dawn of Chromatica. This album's version of Kingdom of Ends is even better than the original, whereas everything else isn't QUITE as good as the original album, but still absolutely bangs.

Yass: Kingdom of Machines, We Are the Law, Crooked Madame, Hardcore Jealousy

Naur: x

Comments under the spoiler~

Spoiler

On 12/13/2021 at 2:39 PM, luckystrike said:

Rebecca’s growth :clap3: also listened to Timeabout once and i remember it’s as good but i never revisited, maybe i should  

Right! We are all proud of her. And you should, it totally does!

On 12/13/2021 at 3:22 PM, TalkThatRihanna said:

I don’t know any of these but maybe I should give Jazmine a listen :lakitu: I’ve been meaning to get into her

DEF recommend Jazmine. You didn't listen to Rebecca Black?!

On 12/13/2021 at 3:25 PM, dreamofyou said:

the way i haven't heard any of these:dancehall3: #basicdreamofyou

i feel like i need to listen to Rebecca's EP and Jazmine as i've heard so many good things about Heaux Tales

Honestly, big name artists don't usually go the EP route so it's understandable. My album list will have a good amount of unknowns tho just fyi LMAO. Def recommend Jazmine and Rebecca!

On 12/13/2021 at 4:23 PM, K$Ellie said:

KKB kinda disappointed me this year tbh nnn, it was a cute EP but I preferred Part 1 :keir:

Yukika's was STUNNING :jonny5: my second favorite kpop release of the year after Aespa (their ep + Next Level are deffo worth checking out!!!)

also loved Bea's, maybe the album was a bit better but this was almost on par

jsdgjfhgds not Tones and I :deadbanana4: I was gonna listen just to pan but I saw it was like 20 songs ffff

don't disagree with anything on the worth album list, of the ones I listened to they were mid 5s or 6s but I liked the girl in red album quite a bit nnn :gaycat6:

Mess, I actually hadn't even listened to Part 1 until after it came out and I def prefer Part 2 still. Keep seeing Aespa on lists so I'll give it a go!

22 hours ago, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

Jazmine and Yukika acclaim :jonny5: Queens only!

Rebecca Black going for niche pop music audience then the result is actualy amazing and feels aunthentic :clap3: She finally found the gays, good for her!

I haven't listen to Gallant's new EP and i think i should check it out since i really love his debut album

And also screams at Kero Kero Bonito called it an EP even though it's actually a 3-tracks single :gaycat6: Their next album is going to be soo good since Civilisation II is really solid. Manifesting!

YES definitely check out Gallant's EP if you're into his debut. His second album (which is basically the same length as this EP nnn) kinda sucks so it's nice to see a return to form.

22 hours ago, hofork said:

Nice selection of eps here~

Bea, Jazmine, Doss, and Yukika being my faves. All of them had really solid releases glad they're here!

WHEW our taste :clap3:

22 hours ago, Sanguine said:

The comma is cuz she’s supposedly doing a trilogy of EPs :eli: related to time… philosophical queen. And you didn’t miss a ton with K-Pop this year anyway, it was pretty weak but Aespa and WJSN had great releases

Yves and Doss were good though Jackie and Strawberry do overshadow the rest a bit for me, they’re just THAT amazing

Great #1 and love to see Beabadoobee here, that EP was pretty underrated!

Oh interesting. Well just release it as a full album, queen! Fair with Yves and Doss, was surprised Strawberry never was my #1 fave from that EP as much as I love it.

22 hours ago, Remmy said:

Well... I've got some news for you... :rip:

Bounce Man (from t/o/p) was very much a mistake, yup! girl in red's album was cute! and way better than her 'chapter 1' EP. Didn't bother with Justice because I hate JB so much :oh: Don't know much about FITZ but based on what I do know, I feel like his music is too cheesy for me. ZAYN's album was insanely boring, really sad to see the quality of his music continue to slip and slip and slip. = was also "better" than expected, your 2 faves are very accurate :clap3: Demi's album isn't bad, it simply has too many fillers compared to their other releases. Tones and I is a global terrorist for D**ce M**key so well deserved just for that alone! I would never suffer through that shite.

Oopsies nnn. I've like never liked Zayn's music nnn, that first single of his and the Taylor collab WHEW the mess.

21 hours ago, Legend E said:

Ahh nice to see Gallant here! :jonny4:

Miss Black also snapped a biT

ANOTHER GALLANT STAN YAAAAAAS

19 hours ago, kiiwii said:

whew, some of these EPs. the 1-2-3 punch with rebecca, beabadoobee, & doss :clap3:

yukika's was a v pleasant surprise, bc i remember not being too fond of her album. :jamming:

Talent babe :clap3: WOW at you being the only person to not like Soul Lady as much as the EP! :eek:

19 hours ago, theblackestday said:

The Bea EP really is better than her disappointing album. We need more Colognes from her.
Your top 5 EPs are all great :jonny: except Gallant cause I don't know her but gonna have to check it out

Cologne is such a slay. OMG thanks legend, yes definitely check out Gallant at least since you liked Jazmine. At the very least Dynamite since that has Brandy on it and for some reason every gay on this form loves her LOL.

17 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

you should listen Reality Show NOW sis :jonny5: it's her magnum opus, Love Me Back and Fearless had some great highs too, but she made some points with RS

Heaux Tales is flawless, I'm so glad she got some praise and success with this one

Let me adding to my list!

12 hours ago, BlackoutZone said:

AHH Yukikallah praise I can always trust you :gaycat1:

The comma is there, cause timeabout is (or was?) set to be the first release of the trilogy we were supposed to get this year - at least she teased so when it came out. But she ended up spending the rest of the year on collabs and droplets so idk what's next, hopefully we still get those two other minis soon enough or she surprises us with another full album. I agree that Soul Lady was better, but this is another excellent project from her.

YU(H)KIKA snapped! Well let's see a full album instead because I prefer those over EPs, queen!

12 hours ago, Lazuli said:

same :toofunny2: i didn't know she was a serious artist nnnnnn

where's aespa on this list sis! :eli: 

Everyone on here has mentioned her/them! So I'll check them/her out.

9 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

All this time, I thought it was an album. Lol, I remember making a similar mistake with the first Ginger Root release back in 2017.

Honestly I don't think Jazmine even knows. It's totally the length of an album, it could be considered an EP as well if needed, but she wasn't confident with the music initially (for some reason???) and just did a cop-out "this is just called a project!" wtf commit ma'am.

8 hours ago, Tinashegrande6 said:

Jazmine Sullivan :clap3: Heaux Tales was almost skipless from what I remember

YUP.

5 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

The only one of those worst albums I listened to was Zayn's album (which yes you were correct in saying When Love's Around was the saving grace, and you should say it :clap3:) so I guess I dodged plenty of bullets :sistrens: 

EPs: I've got Doss saved so I can't wait to check that out, yes to Yves and Jazmine :clap3: 

If you haven't checked out Jazmine's Reality Show you definitely should.

I'm actually glad you listed Gallant cuz I had that EP saved for months and haven't touched lol

Oh phew I wasn't sure if you liked the Zayn album or not nnn. YES babe definitely check out Gallant's EP. And debut album if you're unfamiliar with the good sis.

1 hour ago, Insanity said:

Id comment on the eps but i havent heard any of them except some of Jasmine which was ok i need to give it a relisten

It's okay, lots of EPs are usually from randos and not big name artists nnn. I think you'd like Rebecca Black's EP! It veers more to the pop with light LIGHT hints of experimentation of Charli's music (not like her album last year).

I totally ignored JMSN this year fully :skull: Wasn't even intentional either.

Harlecore was just a non-event. The caroline songs definitely brought it down. 

Majid are a duo that I want to root for but they never really seem to able to produce a quality album. I think they should make another EP since A Place Like This is still my favorite thing they've done. 

Nn I used to be a Zayn stan (used to as in as of a few weeks ago when he went off the deep end :biblionny:)

MoM is generic Pop/R&B excellence (flawless from beginning to end!) and Icarus Falls, while being incredibly bloated, had a solid album hidden underneath. Nobody's Listening was just exceedingly mediocre though.

Update:

Cute HMs. I actually checked out the JMSN album (which unfortunately came and went :skull:) and while it was nice, I just didn't have the urge to go back to it.

LNX needs to stick to making Rap bangers (Dead Right Now, Industry Baby, Scoop :katie2:) cuz the pop songs outside of a few like One of Me and Am I Dreaming sound like parodies of what a pop song should sound like (looking at you TWIW).

I only listened to Solar Power (the song) and Mood Ring. Neither of which really enticed me to listen to the album.

Really enjoyed the Majid Jordan album (enough to make me stan them officially!) though I'll say it's no where near as good as their last album.

the Majid Jordan album had some cute tracks, as did Lil Nas X's.

Harlecore was also rather enjoyable, absolutely loved Take My Heart Away :jonny:

I'm kinda surprised how almost entire ATRL hates Solar Power :deadbanana: I love it mostly

Magic Still Exist is such a nice discovery for me this year, Veritas was good too, but I rarely listen to it, but this one has amazing replay value

ive been seeing Solor power on a lot of best of :eek:  i haven't gave it a listen since everyone hated on it, but considering giving it a listen

FINALLY some recognition for Lost in the Citadel :jonny5: Easily one of the bests on the album 

I'm so bad with albums. Didn't know our boys JMSN and Majrid released their albums at all lol

Magic still exists was cute but I found the interludes really bizzare :rip:

I still need to listen to Montero, I got put off by That's What I Want :gaycat6:

Yves Tumor - one of my faves

Jazmine, beabadoobee also delivered

no hate for solar power here yas :clap3: the robyn feature is the best moment on the album nn idc

texis is amazing i wish it wasn't just an HM! 

All fair choices, I was scared Crooken Machine would be bad, but it's pretty decent. It's just that it doesn't really add anything those songs would need. They are all in perfect shape and length in their original form. But it doesn't hurt them either so it's cute.

Cackled as "Release Me songstress", but to be fair it's a classic and it still sounds good! Glad she tried the disco sound, cause she nailed it

Solar Power dishonorable mention maybe
Texis, Harlecore, Montero are all cute and fitting for HMs

btw listened to the Gallant EP it's very pretty I enjoyed it

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.