Ewan Chaos's Best of 2021! | Albums 5-1 + Songs 10-1

Ewan Chaos

The songs picks are super good again, I almost chose good wife too, really love the vocal effect in the hook, makes her sound even more dramatic and desperate!

Have Mercy and Thot Shit scoring universal acclaim on the lists :clap3:

Slayyyter also snatching a spot on another best of and I still don't get it! Maybe she is the sexed up version of Charli, but she definitely isn't a sexier version of Charli and tbfh she has nothing on Charli! She has those bops, but everything about her feels so cheap and tasteless to me

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ewan Chaos

• TheWayWeWere

• Sunderland 4ever

• BlackoutZone

come thru taste! The Marías :clap3:Porter Robinson :worship:  i don't i've seen him on a list yet! slayyyter's is cute too.

montero + spinning + have mercy + thot shit are all good :sats:

take my heart away :jonny: yasss, probably my fave from the album!

Well I lied about doing 2 yesterday so I won't lie about that today and just do one and comment on yalls instead of trying to do 2!!!!

Best Albums of 2021 | 30 - 26

30.) Lana Del Rey - Chemtrails of the Country Club

This is an interesting album where the strongest two (easily) are the first two, and then the quality takes a QUICK dip, and then the album holds steady the entire way through until the end. Very pretty songwriting here. It's amazing I used to be a OLH before NFR nnn.

Yass: White Dress, Chemtrails Over the Country Club, Yosemite, Dance Till We Die, Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Naur: Tulsa Jesus Freak, Let Me Love You Like a Woman

29.) CHAI - WINK

I'd never listened to CHAI before, but definitely heard of them before. The genre tags of this album marked all my checkboxes, so I figured I'd give it a spin, and loved it! Don't really know what to say besides I love the electronic, yet full-band, aspect of this album. Check it out!

Yass: ACTION, Donuts Mind if I Do, IN PINK, Miracle, PING PONG!

Naur: n/a

28.) Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend

Another band I hadn't listened to before this album (that's not entirely true, I love their song with Mura Masa and I'm sure I've listened to Visions of a Life once or twice), but WOW I don't even know what I was expecting with this record but it immediately clicked! The Last Man on Earth isn't marked as my favorite song, but a close second has a really underrated moment for me: the fucking MELODY of the chorus (pre-chorus?), especially towards the end of the song. "Lies, after, LIES, AFTER, LIES!!!!"

Yass: Lipstick on the Glass, The Last Man on Earth, How Can I Make It Ok?, Smile, Play the Greatest Hits

27.) Durand Jones & The Indications - Private Space

I don't even know what prompted me to check this album out, but I didn't even realize Aaron Frazer was part of this band until I checked out the full album :deadbanana:I do love me a huge funk moment, so I naturally was going to love this album. I'd have loved a touch more of the disco/upbeat aspects of Witchoo on the album, but it totally holds up regardless.

Yass: Witchoo, More Than Ever, Private Space, Reach Out, The Way That I Do

26.) Hiatus Kaiyote - Mood Valiant

Surely doesn't hold a candle to their last album, but I really enjoyed it! I love when Nai does that jazzy scat thing (always reminds me of Kimbra nnn), so those specific songs are gonna be my favorites here too. I like that they even threw a proper piano ballad onto the record.

Yass: Rose Water, Get Sun, Stone or Lavender, Chivalry is Not Dead, Red Room, And We Go Gentle

Naur: x

Best Songs of 2021 | 60 - 51

60.) YUKIKA - Insomnia

IN. SOMNIA. WHERE WE ARE. Sorry KPOP stans this is the only KPOP song on here I'll do better next year maybe probably not

59.) The Weeknd - Take My Breath

I'm inclined to say I like this more than a lot of After Hours? And I still really like that entire album. This is a serious Giorgio Moroder serve that leads me to believe that if he goes in a similar direction with his new album then it's gonna be even better than After Hours.

58.) Wolf Alice - Lipstick on the Glass

Perhaps I should have The Last Man on Earth here after praising it earlier. Eh nah, for me as much as I like the 2 songs that are before it, Lipstick is the song that really gets me into the album. Almost haunted vocals that still feel grounded with that acoustic guitar (AND electric guitar) playing before the chorus fully comes in and opens you up into the world. Enjoy the ride.

57.) Remi Wolf - Front Tooth

I've changed which song I want to put here 3 times in the past month. First it was the chaotic and goofy Quiet on Set, then the off-kilter but grounded closer Street You Live On which has been stuck in my head for a lot of this month. But I had to give it to Front Tooth. The subtle fighting sounds in the beginning, the basically TWO choruses (at least it feels like that to me???) that I love BELTING to in the car. Dolphin lover always makes me giggle, I love signing along to the "oeeoeeoooooo" bits, and haven't we all laid in the shower and let the water wake us up before?

56.) Sleigh Bells - Red Flag Flies

omg their Gwen Stefani serve with this song title. That song is still so underrated btw. A lot of my faves from this album rank next to each other, but this one ranks above them all because of that killer guitar in the chorus.

55.) Jayda G - All I Need (DJ-Kicks)

Jayda G will probably always find a way on my list. She always has a bopping house groove for me every year that I will bump as much as I can. Listen to the shorter edit version if you're not into long songs (but the long version IS better). Very nice chorus on this one.

54.) CHAI - ACTION

Not sure I've listened to something so subtle/smooth and banging/fun like this since Jessie Ware's 110%.

53.) Yves Tumor - Jackie

I ain't sleepin! I ain't eatin!

52.) Lady Gaga - Replay (Dorian Electra Remix)

Replay is my favorite song from the original Chromatica album, so I was quite tickled to find that the remix version was also my favorite! I remember when Dorian was teasing (playing?) this remix at some DJ show they were doing and it was just the first chorus and I was like "alright, sounds cute, little different". THEN once I got into the second verse and the rock serve I was given I was like :o THEN the breakdown after the second chorus?!?! Fuck!!!!! It even has the little weird shit at the end for the experimental/hyperpop stans.

51.) Helado Negro - Gemini and Leo

Helado Negro was very close to getting a spot in the top 50, but was bumped down by recent releases/listens like Remi and Shinichiro. Gemini and Leo is the obvious highlight, a fun shuffling little song. Just makes me smile with every listen.

Comments under the spoiler~

Spoiler

22 hours ago, Mr. Loco said:

Montero (CMBYN) was such a slay :flame:

A major bop!

21 hours ago, witness1.3 said:

Spinning, kinda forgot how much I liked that song

GOOD WIFE YESSSS. That vocoder is so good

RIGHT I always seem to forget about Spinning, then spin (lol) it for weeks, then forget it again no clue why. Great song tho.

20 hours ago, TRF. said:

PAQUITOOOOOO :jonny5:I'm so glad you loved that album, it's really full of bops. It's so great seeing Argentinian rappers and singers do stuff in this style here tbh.

Also love seeing Danny, Megan and Chlöe :heart2:

YES thank you so much for sharing! I know I'll keep falling in love with it too with more listens.

19 hours ago, Remmy said:

Juno :smitten: Remi is one of the most promising new(er) artists out there, she injects SO much personality into her music. Sally being in naur :mandown: Wow our faves are quite different aside from SYLO! Quiet On Set's outro is a little too messy and long kiii. atotbgyuoyfgyoatits oh BABY!!! naur section EMPTY as it should be, ahh!!! Break Yourself is underrated, it didn't do well in the album survivor for some reason. Mood Ring + Pretty Places :alexz3: My Little Love's second half gets me so emotional ahh she was evil for that. Don't remember what FFTG sounds like oop, I think it was decent? || Oh I just added Yola to my list of artists to check out like 2 days ago, and Dayglow at some other point :lakitu: Didn't care much for New Love... Electricity outsold by far. || CINEMA :clap: good wife is my #1 from star-crossed mmm. Thot Shit is the first song I've enjoyed from Megan, great flow great bop! Have Mercy was a nice start for Chloe's solo venture but that write up, oh that's not... oh my.

SO true with Remi. Sally wasn't bad just okay nnn. Funny how different our faves out, but Quiet On Set's outro is exactly why I bumped it down from #1 for a while lol. YES I know you'll like Dayglow. You SHOULD like Yola too. WHEW our Star-Crossed taste.

14 hours ago, D/X said:

The Marías :clap3:Although I liked better the first songs they released previous to their album.

See I assumed this was their first release nnn I'll have to check out their older stuff!

14 hours ago, theblackestday said:

troubled paradise rightfully the highest in this batch

I disagree about the LEG single being a retread, actually think it's so much worse and basic for them. hope the rest of the album won't disappoint

Interesting! :eek: I wonder your thoughts on that other LEG single then.

14 hours ago, Tinashegrande6 said:

Montero and Have Mercy :clap3:

Also definitely do check out Something for thee Hotties. Obviously it is just a bunch of leftover tracks so the quality varies a lot from track to track, but it's a fun project overall.

Interesting, alright will do! I honestly was disappointed with Good News given how flawless the single run for it is, so was curious with Thot Shit.

14 hours ago, rvx said:

Montero :clap3:

A BOP

13 hours ago, Brandon said:

??????? :clap:

A BOP [2]

13 hours ago, dreamofyou said:

good wife:clap3:

i could never get through troubled paradise:biblionny:

Totally get it with Troubled Paradise nnn, pop was kinda weak this year tho so I ate it up.

13 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

Spinning :clap3: such a banger, I would've love little EP or side project like that

Damaged Goods :jonny5: I didn't know anyone listen to this cover besides me :rip:  I know everyone kinda dragged her for the same sound, but it's so blueprint for her, I love it tbh :skull: 

Same! Ah well, happy to at least have the song. YES the cover was great! I actually only saw good things about the cover and that it ate everything on Supervision nnn. I'm with you there with La Roux tho! Not mad at all of having a Trouble in Paradise 2.0 given how amazing that album is. I think people are still pissed she abandoned the sound of her debut and were even more pissed at album 3 being the same as album 2 LOL.

10 hours ago, MP2K said:

Wait

Funny you mentioned, Chain On was also a contender of mine. I just wanna roll some dice in somebody's Brooklyn apartment complex hallway. :katie2:

Yeah it's such a chill little bop!

10 hours ago, Lazuli said:

ok you got a point, and maybe the sia one cuz it's a lil snoozy

the sufjan collab album is not too bad but idk it was a lil one note to me

spinning is kinda basic but a bop nonetheless

there is a light sucks thank god you chose superior wife instead

have mercy :WAP: i didn't know CxH were hated? 

hall of mirrors is a cute gorl and im so excited for the album 

Don't worry I think I'm the only one with a less-than-favorable opinion of CxH nnn I guess I'm just a contrarian but yeah. I don't hate them tho (well minus that first album), just thought they were really overrated. So glad they released that album last year and not this one otherwise so many better R&B albums would have been snubbed for them.

5 hours ago, KasioKas said:

have mercy is a massive bop, was stuck in my head for days

Such an earworm!

5 hours ago, Tsareena said:

cinema/ troubled paradise are serves. letters in my trinity for troubled paradise tho oop.

songs: I love montero, hall of mirrors (made me restan LEG after the terrible lead), good wife, have mercy, thot shit

I'm finding lots of people love Letters... don't get it personally! Wait wasn't Hall of Mirrors the lead nnn

4 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

I listened to this record a couple of times and that's it. It didn't grow on me.

Troubled Paradise, though. That one surely was a grower. :katie2:

It's funny how I wouldn't have pegged you as a Troubled Paradise stan but I love to see it!

3 hours ago, BlackoutZone said:

The songs picks are super good again, I almost chose good wife too, really love the vocal effect in the hook, makes her sound even more dramatic and desperate!

Have Mercy and Thot Shit scoring universal acclaim on the lists :clap3:

Slayyyter also snatching a spot on another best of and I still don't get it! Maybe she is the sexed up version of Charli, but she definitely isn't a sexier version of Charli and tbfh she has nothing on Charli! She has those bops, but everything about her feels so cheap and tasteless to me

WHEW glad you also stan Good Wife. Yeah I get you with Slayyyter, and I agree that's why I was very cautious of using "sexed up" not "sexier" version of Charli (I mean compare Throatzillaa to Drugs for instance nnn). And no one's ever gonna compete with Ms. X-CHEE-X :clap:

3 hours ago, kiiwii said:

come thru taste! The Marías :clap3:Porter Robinson :worship:  i don't i've seen him on a list yet! slayyyter's is cute too.

montero + spinning + have mercy + thot shit are all good :sats:

take my heart away :jonny: yasss, probably my fave from the album!

Yeah Porter Robinson's been a little ignored by the ATRL gays this year it seems! WHEW you also stanning Take My Heart Away, love it.

1 hour ago, Legend E said:

ahhh Good Wife :jonny5::jonny5::jonny5::jonny5::jonny5::jonny5::jonny5::jonny5::jonny5::jonny5::jonny5::jonny5::jonny5::jonny5:

GOD. HELP. ME. BE. A. GOOD. WIFE!!!! doo-doo-doo-doo-doo

Chemtrails is fine, the superior 2021 release from Lana. White Dress doesn't do it for me, very unpopular opinion! Yosemite + Not All Who Wander :smitten: Dance Till We Die is also nice. "I used to be a OLH before NFR nnn." Meanwhile I've been kinda bored with her ever SINCE NFR. :oh: || Take My Breath :jamming: If this was on After Hours it would likely round out my top 5, yeah. Front Tooth :eddie: Should've picked SYLO though! Replay (Remix) yesss! Replay is a close 2nd place on both tracklists (behind ROM and Free Woman's remix, respectively.)

Quiet On Set's outro is exactly why I bumped it down from #1 for a while lol. YES I know you'll like Dayglow. You SHOULD like Yola too.

Yeah it was pretty camp! :fan: Period x2!

19 minutes ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Interesting! :eek: I wonder your thoughts on that other LEG single then.

JeS7BsO.gif

I am not entertaining this Tulsa Jesus Freak slander :biblio: You should stay real close to Jesus, Ewan.

You should listen to Wolf Alice's debut album if you have yet to do so, one of my favorite albums ever

Wink was nice and Mood Valiant is great

As for the songs, pretty much great batch all the way! Talent etc.

Edited by theblackestday

Agreed with everything you said about COCC lol.

I like Take My Breath but honestly grew old for me pretty fast

Nurture stanning :jonny:

Montero, Have Mercy, Good Wife, and Replay Remix stanning :jonny:

Not that Lana album making the cut :gaycat6:

Ya COCC ended up a lot better than I thought/feared. TMB didn't have the same staying power for me as the best Hours songs but production still went off. Yves came thru with some firepower and I enjoyed Sleigh Bells return more than expected as well, love that band! And hole up let me work backwards thru what I've missed, nice picks on this page overall.

6 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

30.) Lana Del Rey - Chemtrails of the Country Club

This is an interesting album where the strongest two (easily) are the first two, and then the quality takes a QUICK dip, and then the album holds steady the entire way through until the end. Very pretty songwriting here. It's amazing I used to be a OLH before NFR nnn.

Yass: White Dress, Chemtrails Over the Country Club, Yosemite, Dance Till We Die, Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Naur: Tulsa Jesus Freak, Let Me Love You Like a Woman

28.) Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend

Another band I hadn't listened to before this album (that's not entirely true, I love their song with Mura Masa and I'm sure I've listened to Visions of a Life once or twice), but WOW I don't even know what I was expecting with this record but it immediately clicked! The Last Man on Earth isn't marked as my favorite song, but a close second has a really underrated moment for me: the fucking MELODY of the chorus (pre-chorus?), especially towards the end of the song. "Lies, after, LIES, AFTER, LIES!!!!"

Yass: Lipstick on the Glass, The Last Man on Earth, How Can I Make It Ok?, Smile, Play the Greatest Hits

58.) Wolf Alice - Lipstick on the Glass

Perhaps I should have The Last Man on Earth here after praising it earlier. Eh nah, for me as much as I like the 2 songs that are before it, Lipstick is the song that really gets me into the album. Almost haunted vocals that still feel grounded with that acoustic guitar (AND electric guitar) playing before the chorus fully comes in and opens you up into the world. Enjoy the ride.

52.) Lady Gaga - Replay (Dorian Electra Remix)

Replay is my favorite song from the original Chromatica album, so I was quite tickled to find that the remix version was also my favorite! I remember when Dorian was teasing (playing?) this remix at some DJ show they were doing and it was just the first chorus and I was like "alright, sounds cute, little different". THEN once I got into the second verse and the rock serve I was given I was like :o THEN the breakdown after the second chorus?!?! Fuck!!!!! It even has the little weird shit at the end for the experimental/hyperpop stans.

I love all my faves releases this year getting recognition :jonny5: Loved hearing about the Replay reaction specifically :fan:

You know what let me do another one real quick before bed and comment tomorrow~

Best Albums of 2021 | 25 - 21

25.) Tune-Yards - Sketchy.

Kind of... unexpectedly... fantastic? I really liked WHO KILL but whew the decline in quality with the albums after until now.

Yass: Hold Yourself, Hypnotized, Under Your Lip, Make it Right, Sometime

24.) Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert

Too long for my personal tastes and the interludes were mostly unneeded, but this is really good! I can be pretty fussy about that kind of UK rap/grime/hiphop kinda voice too nnn but it's fine here. Honestly wasn't expecting to like this more than her last album, which I got into pretty late after it came out.

Yass: Speed, Little Q Pt. 2, Miss Understood, Protect My Energy

23.) Faye Webster - I Know I'm Funny haha

Alt-country ladies... KILLIN IT THIS YEAR. I thought her last album was cute too, so when I saw her doing a droplet era I was like "you know what, it could lead to an album, let me ignoring this" and she did! This type of music totally suits the dry humor of the lyrics on this record.

Yass: A Dream with a Basketball Player, Sometimes, I Know I'm Funny haha, Kind Of, Cheers

22.) Tyler, the Creator - Call Me If You Get Lost

It's no Igor but it's my favorite rap album of the year!

Yass: Sweet/I Thought You Wanted to Dance, Juggernaut, Hot Wind Blows

21.) Tinashe - 333

Okay... I've never listened to a Tinashe album before this, not out of any sort of intentional hate or anything I just never got around to it. But, it's fun to hate on the people that EVERYONE seems to be obsessed with on this site, so I always found it fun to poke fun of and shade her on here. Whew, I really should have fallen onto the bandwagon earlier. This is a flawless piece of work that together is just a lot of fun, and the mix of genres totally adds to how addictive this record is. Maybe I'll listen to more of her albums to repent...

Yass: Bouncin, Small Reminders, X, Undo (Back to My Heart), Let Me Down Slowly, Unconditional

Naur: Shy Guy (literally just because it's too short, extend it and it's a Yass)

Best Songs of 2021 | 50 - 41

50.) Arca - Bruja

"OH SHITTTTTTTTTTT" indeed sis

49.) Agnes - 24 Hours

Yes I was bopping! I was!

48.) Confidence Man - Holiday

It may not be my favorite Confidence Man song (COOL Party, Boyfriend, Don't You Know I'm in a Band still >>>>), but I LOVE how it's a little bit of different territory for the band. I kinda get italo-house vibes from it, although it might be because I think of this song that also has a very similar music video to Confidence Man's. Looking forward to their album next year, and looking forward to more mega bops!

47.) Faye Webster - A Dream With a Baseball Player

Just adore the guitar line on this song.

46.) Hiatus Kaiyote - Rose Water

Get Sun is a close second, but I love the "start-stop" aspects of this song more.

45.) Dawn Richard - Bussifame

The way I thought this song was called Bussiflame for the longest time sldsklghdsiukdgsikgdsl I was like damn girl that bussy so poppin it's in flames?!

44.) Yola - Barely Standing

Literally any of the first 3 songs on the album could be put here, but I don't think Barely Standing gets enough love so I'm placing it as my choice here, partially because I think it's my favorite song on the album lyrically.

43.) Rebecca Black - Personal

There's a lot of great choices from the EP to pick as a standout, but Personal is my favorite because I always love a "flip the script" song that shows the narrator of the song as the one breaking the other one's heart. It's more rare in pop music I feel. And the autotune use in verse two, breakdown in the outro, WHEW.

42.) Rochelle Jordan - Next 2 You

UK garage excellence, absolutely bopping. Perfect song to play on a late night drive (not that I really do those often!) Take notes, Katy B!

41.) JMSN - Guilty Conscience

As noted by my favorite songs from his album Velvet, the songs in JMSN's catalogue are the ones with more fun vocal effects in them, like this one (even if it's more muted than on a song like Sunshine). VERY sexy jam though, and that's all I really need and want from JMSN.

The Tinashe praise MpAD8tF.gif they switch like F words

Yes, you better listen the rest of her discography asap oDM1MGy.gif

12 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Yves Tumor - Jackie

I ain't sleepin! I ain't eatin!

OH MY GOOOOOODDDD. IMPECCABLE TASTE DETECTED

the first line of your cumtrails writeup HITS :mandown: 

blue weekend blew me away too :clap3: lipstick on the glass is a good choice

take my breath sucks idk why people like it :skull: so derivative and basic

red flag flies :rockon:

bruja a BANGER

Oh the pace bitch let me catch up

YOU know I love so many songs from both batches, mirroring my best of truly, can always count on you!

Saddened to see Tulsa Jesus Being in NAUR when it's the best song actually... I was ready to fight for Shy Guy too, but you are right it's just short and it begs for MORE.

I will definitely check out CHAI - WINK from these, the cover is very captivating and I've seen it on a few lists already. If it matches your genres checkboxes it should match mine too!

Blue Weekend, 333, Chemtrails :clap3: I never actually listened to Wolf Alice prior this year, but I'm fucking slayed, it's such a standout

24 Hours is such a pop perfection :clap3: I love more agressive disco :eli: 

Lipstick on the Glass :smitten: 

Bussifame :flame: 

Oh wow the switching on Tinashe :clap3: Nice best picks too! Shy guy a snooze wbk, the perfect length would've been 0:00 :mandown:

24 hours is a classic, I'm honestly mad I forgot to include it on my own list :gaycat6:

If there's gonna only be one K-Pop song, Insomnia is not a bad choice at all!~ One of my Yukika faves personally!

Also...yes, it's about time for people to come around to Tinashe. She did not work her ass off to become a whole package just to CONTINUE to be slept on. Yes she sings, yes she dances, yes she creates SMASH music videos...yes she does it ALL independently. I'm struggling to think of a better woman!

Take my breath is cute but not as great as most singles from After hours tbh... I'm still anticipating his next album tho :hippo:

Naur not you being an OTH even though you've never listened to her music till now :skull: Her power though!. If you like 333, then you'll more than likely enjoy her other albums too (I'd just start with Aquarius-->Nightride-->SFY then try Joyride at your own risk).

Also not Shy Guy being naur when Pasadena is right there :gaycat6: 

+ Tyler, Little Simz, and Lana :clap3: 

Honestly LMLYLAW was such a boner killer :gaycat6: but TJF is great :biblio: 

JMSN and Rochelle :clap3: 

21 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

51.) Helado Negro - Gemini and Leo

Hey, not bad to see this one

14 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Faye Webster - A Dream With a Baseball Player

It's my favorite off her record for the same reasons as yours. Rose Water making the Top 50. :katie2:

Faye's album was alright, preferred AMC and plenty of songs felt too similar again. ADwaBP was cute from what I remember, and Cheers was a good change of pace. Only loved about half of Confidence Man's debut but those highs were HIIIIIGH! ...While Holiday is a loooow :frown: Incredibly shocked to hear that you paid Tinashe dust before 333, oh wow oh wow. Aquarius/Songs for You/333 is my trinity, Joyride is a skip, the rest are mixtapes so they're not really required listening. Your yass list is really great except for Unconditional :lakitu:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.