• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ewan Chaos

• TheWayWeWere

• Sunderland 4ever

• Lazuli

Let's finish up shall we? I'll try to do some commenting on Best Ofs as I "shut down" from most internet stuff for a few days, but I'll definitely be back for a quick posting of my full album ranking (was much less than last year). Same with EPs. Def not singles nnn.

Best Albums of 2021 | 5 - 1

5.) Magdalena Bay - Mercurial World

I'm honestly still shook at this coming out of nowhere so late in the year and LEAPING to my top 5. I was anticipating the album and gave Secrets (Your Fire) a listen when it came out (I'm sure I gave the other singles super quick spin too), but wasn't expecting to be slain like this by the full album. Definitely the best use of transitions in an album in 2021, not even just one or two songs having transitions, but I think literally every song is interconnected. An absolutely essential pop release, and my favorite "pure pop" album of the year.

Yass: The Beginning, Secrets (Your Fire), Chaeri, Hysterical Us, Prophecy, Mercurial World, Domino, You Lose!

Naur: n/a

4.) Gavin Turek - Madame Gold

My vastly underrated queen was OF COURSE going to make an appearance in my top 5. I almost wanted to put her at #1 just for the promo and how much I love her (I saw her perform last month and met her and she was such a sweetheart). Gavin didn't give us the Donna Summer disco bops that we were expecting from her EP, but the progressive R&B she gave us instead was just as good. And she still did give us a Kiss (Prince) serve with So What! For this album, she focused a little more on new-Gavin territory (Pressure vocally), her songwriting (Illusions), and the softer sides of herself (Simple Reasons). I'd usher you to listen to any of the songs/albums on my list that you don't know, but I REALLY want to urge you to listen to Gavin Turek if you haven't before. She deserves lots of love for her fantastic music.

Yass: Elevator, Hero, So What, 2AM, Simple Reasons, Pressure, Slide, Illusions

3.) Spellling - The Turning Wheel

I've been waiting for a not boring art pop album like this in quite a while. I recall my good sis madonnas listing Mazy Fly as a top album of 2019. Naturally, I completely forgot to check it out. So when I saw Spellling was releasing a new album, I made sure to put it on my list of albums to check out. And WOW I was blown away from the first song. I know I should be a good synth-loving-gay and say I like the second half is better than the first like everyone else is, but the ominous Disney vibes of the first half is so much more captivating to me. I'm also very happy to be supporting a local musician for me, who used lots of other local instrumentalists to play on her album.

Yass: Always, Boys at School, The Future, Turning Wheel, Little Deer, Revolution, Queen of Wands

2.) Laura Mvula - Pink Noise

Laura's best album for sure. I suppose I "miss" parts of the epic strings of her last two albums (The Dreaming Room especially), but I will happily sacrifice that for the 80s brilliance that she's given us here. Plus she kinda gave that to us with Golden Ashes anyway. As far as "general" pop albums goes, Laura's record is easily my favorite of the year.

Yass: Church Girl, What Matters, Magical, Conditional, Pink Noise, Got Me, Remedy

1.) Erika de Casier - Sensational

I mean, what can I say that hasn't already been said? Essentials was a fantastic debut record and she really brought EVEN MORE with her follow-up. I recall slightly tearing up at some of these songs solely by how pretty they are. The run from Insult Me to Somebody to Chill With is flawless in sequencing. I'm just gonna have to leave it at that. This is a masterpiece and I'm so glad that Erika released this record. Looking forward so much more from her.

Yass: Polite, Busy, Better Than That, Make My Day, No Butterflies No Nothing, Drama, Call Me Anytime, Someone to Chill With, Secretly, Insult Me

Best Songs of 2021 | 10 - 1

10.) Tinashe - Bouncin

If you told me like... 2 years ago that I'd be stanning to Tinasha like this (unironically) I'd be like HAH! Again, never HATED her before, just was always so fun to shade her. I'm glad this is the song everyone else seems to be stanning too, since I didn't realize it was or that it was a single when I went into the album. She sounds both so confident and silly at the same time on such a buoyant, great beat.

9.) Charli XCX / Christine and the Queens, Caroline Polachek - Good Ones / New Shapes

Okay I couldn't decide so this is a copout WHATEVER. Good Ones was an immediate love: the 80s synth line and (very) short, catchy aspects of the song suit Charli very well, especially for a sellout era. Whereas New Shapes, I mean I was bound to be in love with the song because the WOTCHU WANT snippet has been drilled into my head since I first heard it. But I didn't ADORE the song immediately like I thought I would, mainly because of the kinda weird transition from verse to chorus. Once it clicked though, WHEW. Chris and Caroline's parts actually outshine Charli's (outside of the chorus). I'm gonna say Chris won this one even without a lick of French.

8.) Kero Kero Bonito - Well Rested

Any song from Civilisation II would have worked great here, but I had to go with Well Rested because it's such a cool change of pace for the band. Cult leader Sarah finally bringing a bit of Japanese lyricism to her music again on a crazy, seven-minute long synth house BANGER. 

7.) Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever

She's actually insane for this song. Heartbreak, tear on the dancefloor songs (like Robyn's) are great ways to turn heartbreak around in a fun way musically, but sometimes you just need to lash the bastard! And Billie did NOT hold back! The second half still floors me every time I hear it. I get y'all are impatient, but the people who prefer this to not have the first half are WEAK.

6.) Magdalena Bay - The Beginning

I barely listened to the singles before the album dropped (even though I loved them), so when not only a non-single, but the last song on the album JUMPED out at me like this??? WHEEEEW. I was shaking my ass and tearing up at the same time at how hopeful this song was making me, not even for anything specific?? The bridge "Like a butterfly floating in amber... you've made this moment... eternal" and the final chorus is just so EEEEEE I just KNOW I can go to this song if I'm upset and have that part make me feel better. And the fact it slings you right BACK to The Beginning of the album. They have the minds of a mastermind.

5.) Laura Mvula - Church Girl

I almost picked What Matters as my top song here because it's insanely underrated and Scottish KING Simon Neil went off, but ultimately Church Girl has too much of a hold on me for me to ignore it. The CLAPS, her voice squeaking at the end of certain lyrics, the heavy SYNTH line, and ONE of the choruses of the YEAR. Especially towards the end when additional backing vocals come soaring in and bring the song even more to life.

4.) Jessie Ware - Eyes Closed

You know I wasn't gonna snub my girl Jessie on this list! What's Your Pleasure's (title track) sexy little sister is my favorite of the bunch from the Platinum Pleasure Edition, for the chorus alone. Cause it FEEELS SOOOOOO NATURALLLLLLL. Close. Your. EYES.

3.) St. Vincent - Down

According to my Spotify Unwrapped, this was my most-listened to song of the year. Part of me is sure it's because it was one of my most-anticipated songs to hear live from Daddy's Home, but also... the material is there. It's fantastic. It kinda sounds like like that I Wanna Get Away song by Lenny Kravitz in the second/third chorus nnn. The video may have made me feel this way, but it's such a good "fast running around to get things done before your deadline" song. The sitar and the backing vocalists are the shining stars of this track, though I'll of course give a shoutout to "Go get your own shit, get off of my tit."

2.) Marina - Venus Fly Trap

Marina being snubbed like this, what a tragedy! Well I did give Man's World a #1 last year, but if I was ranking EVERY song (instead of just standalone singles) then she wouldn't have gotten #1. Everything I mentioned in my album writeup with how excited I was to have Marina back from her slump is most personified in this song. The piano opening into fun, kitschy production, FANTASTIC sassy lyrics (the chorus is fantastic and SOOOO fun to sing, especially the last time around "Whatever you give life! You're gonna get back!" when the drum pattern goes into 2/4 FUCKKKKK), the live instruments (the SLAP BASS in the second verse KILLS me every time), and even the music video is her best in years. I don't give a shit if the remaining deluxe edition songs suck; I got my Venus Fly Trap so I'm good for a while. Thanks, Marina.

1.) Foxes - Sister Ray

Wow. Wowowowowowowowow. Wow. I placed Love Not Loving You very high on my list last year, and it deserved it. I would argue it was her best song at the time. So imagine my fucking shock when Foxes would release a song that would top THAT, barely a year later! Lots of people were teasing this as her Robyn serve before the song was officially released, which I assumed yeah yeah it's a banger whatever. But I totally understood this reference when I listened to the song. Sister Ray has a strong air of wistfulness about it, mourning someone or something that's gone too soon. For Robyn, this usually would be in the case of heartbreak, but for Foxes this song is about a friend of hers who passed away at a young age. Sadly, this is something I can relate to, so I think understanding that from the song even before knowing this is what the song was about made me feel so connected to the track. Ironically, I was playing a lot of All I Need (album) when my friend had passed away, and then Foxes releases a song that I probably really could have used at that time. I know that The Kick is gonna be one of my favorite albums of next year, but I don't really see any songs from it topping Sister Ray. Well done, Loui.

Good Ones is one of Charli's best songs in years

Happier than Ever is Billie's masterpiece :alexz:

Comments under the spoiler~

Spoiler

17 hours ago, D/X said:

CHVRCHES :clap3:

But WAIT @ He Said She Said...

1. I loved the writeup :lmao:

2. Since when are people hating on it? Like what's the story behind? From the 3 singles it's by far the best one so I'm lost on that one.

Oh and Be Sweet :clap3: 

Literally all I ever saw was people whining about the song when it first came out, people being like "How Not to Drown is WAYYYY better" when it came out, everyone naming it as the worst song on the album, etc. SICK OF IT.

16 hours ago, Brandon said:

???? ?????  &  ???????? :katie2:

Great albums!

16 hours ago, JGibson said:

Leave The Door Open + He Said She Said :party:

Great songs!

14 hours ago, Tinashegrande6 said:

Pick Up Your Feelings yup :clap3:

Kiss of Life and LTDO are both cute 

Jazmine absolutely snapped.

13 hours ago, dreamofyou said:

marina at 8:jonny5: not ILYBILMM being a naur though

I gave it a listen yesterday and I liked it more than I remembered... but I just hate the nursery-rhymey chorus. Love our shared M stanning

9 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

Albums: Rochelle and St. V :clap3: 

Songs: Japanese Breakfast, Jazmine, Erika, Silk Sonic :clap3: 

TASTE baes

9 hours ago, Lazuli said:

screen violence :alexz: LOVE final girl too i think it's really cute when she's sing about her accent??

daddy's home :jonny5: yes praise my baby wants a baby it's so good. you have almost the entire album in your yass list but where is live in the dream???

the only heartbreaker >> working for the knife but at least you have her in the top 20!

be sweet :katie2: 

he said she said :deadbanana: yes i read your writeups and no you ain't convincing anyone! 

kiss of life :gaygacat6:

omg YES totally agree with Final Girl. Definitely my favorite part of the song.

Live in the Dream is great but I just don't go back to it as much since it's long and not a banger or anything oop :mandown:

Let me live in my delusion with He Said She Said!

8 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

so on point :jonny5:  even though I still bop to some songs from L+F :skull: it aged badly tbh

Working for a Knife :clap3: btw, Geyser grows so much on me, one of her best songs ever :jonny5: 

Kiss of Life is low-key better than a half of DISCO :jonny: 

Pick Up Your Feelings :smitten: 

I mean I still will play songs like Baby, Enjoy Your Life, and End of the Earth and not have to fake enjoying it... but... the album still sucks nnn

7 hours ago, BlackoutZone said:

Oh it's ALL classics now :jonny5:

Totally agree about pointing out that Rochelle album just hits better at some nighttime city ride :allears:

Marina stepped up from L+F for sure, but I got bored of the album a bit too fast, maybe the deluxe will revive it a bit for me

I don't hate He Said She Said, it's just not representing the greatness of the album as much!

Kiss of Life and Leave The Door Open modern day classics I fear

Cowboys bops I can say it even as a Slayyyter hater :keir:

Well at least my other faves from Screen Violence are more in-line with everyone else's favorites! Oh wow the Cowboys stanning, the RIGHT song of hers to stan even if you hate ha!

1 hour ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

I keep procrastinating on listening to this album. :jonny:

Outstanding choice :jonny5:

Great choices on your Top 20 tracks as well. Here are all my faves:

20.) Mitski - Working for the Knife

19.) Japanese Breakfast - Be Sweet

15.) Illuminati Hotties - MMMOOOAAAAAYAYA (So catchy :katie2:)

14.) Kylie Minogue, Jessie Ware - Kiss of Life

12.) Silk Sonic - Leave the Door Open

It's pretty new so no rush babes but since you stan Leave the Door Open too you will love it I fear. Our shared taste, esp MMMOOOAAAAAYAYA YOU RIGHT soooo catchy.

1 hour ago, Moonlightbae said:

I enjoyed Ancient Dreams a lot tbh! much better than L+F :clap3:

Kiss of Life is a bop :katie2:

YAS M, Kylie, Jessie, legends all of them

• ATRL Moderator

Oh wow, nice to see Laura this high :eek: 

Happier Than Ever :jonnycat: Bouncin's cute!

Eyes Closed is STUNNING :jonny5: Church Girl is also great!

I only listened to Sister Ray once and I was not impressed :mandown: I'm waiting for the album but tbh I've been quite disappointed with Foxes lately (but I might need to give her more listens)

Tinasha top 10 :jonny5: Bouncin is so acclaimed :alexz: 

Good Ones > New Shapes :eli:

HTE :alexz:

Eyes Closed is such a masterpiece :jonny: 

OMG Venus Fly Trap :eek: so nice to see some love for it! I love that she using live instruments Again :jonny: 

Sister Ray :jonnycat: POP PERFECTION

star-crossed... lemme not compare it to golden hour then :fan:

love to see roosevelt :clap3:his album is one of my faves!

transparent soul, yassss. musician too :jonny: 

ancient dreams + screen violence :clap3:

magdalena bay making the top 5, iktr :jonny:

i meant to listen to erika's album after liking drama, but i never did. :lakitu:

the amount of great songs in your top 10, whew.

bouncin + good ones + the beginning + eyes closed + sister ray :clap3:

Happier Than Ever  :worship:

Good Ones was cute <3

Good Ones >>>> New Shapes, but I love both!

Bouncin, Happier Than Ever, Eyes Closed, Venus Fly Trap are also really great :clap3:

Sister Ray tho!!! such a great song for #1, can't wait for The Kick :heart2:

17 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

3.) Spellling - The Turning Wheel

I just checked it this morning. Decent record, better than Mazy Fly for sure. I think I would have given it somewhere between 79 and 81 points.

Mercurial World is a must-listen record for sure.

Happier Than Ever, The Beginning, Down and Well Rested. :worship:

• ATRL Moderator

wowowowo @ your #1.  A surprising choice but I really really love it, it's got that Carly Rae pop magic to it for sure.

Amazing Mag Bay (the best deep cut), St. Vincent, Tinashe, Jessie, charli (New Shapes is better!), Laura, KKB, and Billie cuts!  actually, I loveeverything in your top 10 songs.  I would have chosen PTP over Venus but that's probably #1, glad she gave us some great singles this era. 

Not you stanning Erika like that :jonny:  she deserves, her album just blew me away.  Did you listen to Mazy Fly yet? :-*

magdalena bay :clap3: 

i keep seeing this erika girl high up i think i need to give her a listen! 

new shapes > good ones :mandown: 

happier than ever :jonny5: billie's career will never get any better than that 

eyes closed :clap3: 

hmmm down is actually my least favourite pre-release single but you do you! 

foxes #1 wow, i have not checked her out since like 2015 nn

Just dropping a placeholder post to let you know that I will be back, there's too many things I want to comment on but I need to save my energy for the other threads :fan:

edit: Back on 12/26 to let you know today is not the day :fan: perhaps tomorrow

BITCH THE EAT :WAP::WAP::WAP::WAP::WAP::WAP::WAP::WAP::WAP:

I DIDNT KNOW YOU STAN SISTER RAY THIS MUCH TOO, IT ONLY FEELS CORRECT!

These picks are SO fucking good, but you already know from my own Best Of!

We really had guts to pick Eyes Closed as our best when no one else did, knew I could count on you :allears:

Amazing countdown :clap3:

btw loving the My Baby Wants A Baby mention, I'll talk about it when the time comes :eli:

Spellling, Erica and Maga bay :clap3: I'll save some songs from the other 2 albums to check out later

Bouncin is truly Tinashe's best sing, HTE the modern Bohemian Rhapsody, KKB, Venus Fly Trap whew :clap3:

Charli's new material was just ok for me but I guess she's just having fun with her last major label era

Sister Ray is such a bop, my fav Foxes song in years :jonny5:

also Sensational #1. period!!!

Okay I'm finally here!!

"I didn't know how to explain it, but when Your Power came out and she announced the album, I just had a feeling Billie was going release her best album so far." Meanwhile I remember so many people being nervous :oh: and then it turned out being her weakest release for me. But some of the songs that I didn't really care for aren't in your faves :gaycat4: The album is still cute overall. As for Hayley, she snapped on PFA and then this didn't leave much of an impression on me. :michael:
Your views on Hatchie... BRUH. But This Enchanted made the top 30 so hey :katie2: Piece of My Mind, GLAM!, Silk Chiffon also in the same set OMFG!!!!! 52adc70fdca21e95f3c4a839a71b324e31feac3f.gifv Bunny Is a Grower is also good!! Your GLAM! writeup though... don't piss me off!!!!!!!!

Silk Sonic debut was nice, basically 24K Magic 2.0 but with Anderson .Paak. "This is a solid return to form after... that last album." Can y'all PLEASE leave Love Is Dead alone!!!!!!!! Screen Violence is really great yes :gaycat2: Didn't really connect with Daddy's Home. I enjoy He Said She Said, just needed more time with it! aidfijf at the writeup pleaseee :bibliahh: Wasn't completely in love with Leave the Door Open for months but it sounds excellent starting the album right after the intro.

Mercurial World top 5, I know that's right!!! :smitten: #MagBaySlay-ed. Bouncin, Eyes Closed, Down great bops! Wish New Shapes had a stronger chorus but i like ha. Good Ones mmm that's a banger!!! The Beginning - absolutely!!! Happier Than Ever is an essential pick this year!! Foxes #1 AHHHH that's my baby!!!!! 52adc70fdca21e95f3c4a839a71b324e31feac3f.gifv52adc70fdca21e95f3c4a839a71b324e31feac3f.gifv52adc70fdca21e95f3c4a839a71b324e31feac3f.gifv

Great Best of overall, once again!!! Also try to count all the exclamation points in this post

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.