• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lee!!

• Brandon

• Sunderland 4ever

• TheWayWeWere

• ATRL Administrator

Lee's Best of 2021

Another year of watching WAY too many series. Every year I'm amazed at how much content I consumed and doing these lists is a fun way to remember it all. Lots of new series on the list this year from this year and years past that I may have missed out on, with a whole lot of returning entries from Best Of's past. I actually enjoyed most of them this year, and even some of the ones towards the bottom of my list weren't too terrible. I did my best to rank them and give some insight into my decisions and/or information without any real big spoilers in them. On to the list!

Top 200 TV Shows of 2021: #200 - #176

200) Gossip Girl (HBO Max)

WvIcDNl.png

A reboot no one needed. Gossip Girl is a reboot that picks up years later after the original gossip girl with a new cast of kids dealing with the drama and crazy lives of a bunch of rich kids in the city. The kids look older than some of the teachers. Revealing Gossip Girl's identity so early on took away some of the mystery, especially with how disturbing and convoluted the real really is. The series really thinks it is skewering the elite class, but it is nothing of the sort. Vapid, unnecessary and unwatchable.

199) The Pole (Syfy)

SQ5NUJU.png

The Pole is an animated series taking place in the North Pole. It sports a great voice cast, but it was a struggle to watch. Santa gets embroiled in a scandal and the political fallout of the North Pole are thrown into chaos. Alliances are formed, and lines are drawn. The series is crude for crude sake and I get trying to make an adult take on Christmas things (even though it began airing in March) but this was not a successful attempt. I think it was intended for the late night TZGZ block on Syfy which was their attempt at an adult swim like block, but it never took off.

198) Aquaman: King of Atlantis (HBO Max)

lg9wjmu.png

I knew this was going to be a disaster I saw the animation was from the same people behind the failed Cartoon Network ThunderCats reboot series ThunderCats Roar. The story was all over the place and chaotic. I can see why this style humor and look could work for a historically campy take on Aquaman, but this didn't really work. The three episodes are not worth the time at all. Stick with a better series like Harley Quinn on HBO Max if you want a less traditional animated DC series.

197) Chad (TBS)

NWSbc3g.png

Chad is a series that has been in development for years. The series was originally ordered to pilot at Fox, but was ultimately passed over. It then was set up at TBS where it took a while to finally get on the air. The character Chad probably would have worked better as an SNL character, but expanding it to a fully fleshed out character didn't really work. Chad is insufferable and extremely hard to root for. I guess it is a testament to Nasim Pedrad and her commitment to the role.

196) Dad Stop Embarrassing Me (Netflix)

zpUXxOL.png

I had high hopes going into this Netflix multicamera comedy series with Jamie Foxx and David Alan Grier alone. The series is inspired by Jamie Foxx's real life relationship with his daughter but it was etremely corny and not that funny. Jamie's character's daughter moves in with him and he has to learn how to be a full time dad after years of being a part time father. There were some funny moments, but nothing all that memorable. The series was cancelled after one season.

195) The Crew (Netflix)

6yQPY40.png

The was another multicamera comedy series released mid year which struggled to feel like a real comedy series. The series follows a racing pit crew and their interoffice relationships. The characters all felt like they were pulled from different sitcoms and forced to be together. There wasn't much chemistry. The jokes were not deep at all, and it had very cringy dialog. There were a few things I enjoyed, and I could see it possibly come together if it had more time. In the end, Netflix cancelled the series.

194) Mr. Mayor (NBC)

y6aUHhR.png

Mr Mayor has a killer cast and I had extremely high hopes for this one. You have Ted Danson coming off of The Good Place, the always funny Bobby Moynihan, and the great Holly Hunter. Plus Vella Lovell was great on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. The series follows Ted Danson's character as he becomes the Mayor of LA when he has zero qualifications. The Mayor's office is a mess and they somehow manage to just squeak by not ruining the city or making that many mistakes. The series is returning for a second season in 2022, but we'll see if I watch more.

193) Schmigadoon! (Apple TV+)

0DhapO0.png

I don't get what people see in this musical comedy series. It made a bunch of top series lists this year, but I didn't find any of it all that good. The cast was phenomenal and full of so much talent, but it felt like an SNL sketch you keep looking at you watch waiting for it to end because it has dragged on far too long. A couple go on a trip and end up in a town where the townspeople burst into song and feel like they are from a past decade. The couple see the cracks in their relationships. I guess it just wasn't for me!

192) Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness (Netflix)

q5JORKM.png

This animated Resident Evil series was just four episodes so it was extremely easy to binge. Unfortunately, it felt like a really drawn out video game cut scene that you couldn't skip through. The story was pretty predictable and moved pretty fast but I didn't feel like I go anything really out of it. It didn't really go anywhere and is pretty unmemorable. I wouldn't be upset if it didn't come back for more episodes, but if it does, and its a short episode run again, I'll likely check it out again.

191) Rebel (ABC)

SrOR8eW.png

I'm surprised I didn't really enjoy Rebel. An Erin Brockovich type character helps take down big forces who try to take advantage of those who may not even realize it. She has a messy past, and is blunt and a wildcard. It was perfect for Katey Sagal. The series had a great supporting cast, but it didn't really click for me. I was surprised when ABC cancelled it so quickly seeing that the series is from the current Grey's Anatomy showrunner and they usually like to give shows like this a chance to grow in a second season.

190) Chicago Party Aunt (Netflix)

AY88ji5.png

Chicago Party Aunt is a crass animated comedy series following a middle aged woman who never really grew up. She looks for the fun in every aspect of life and becomes a support for her nephew when he faces a point in his life without direction. The series is based off of a twitter account of the same name. The characters high jinks are usually over the top, but tries to bring it around to family and slightly grounded, likely attempting to be a Family Guy type series. The first part of the first season is up with the second part likely coming in 2022.

189) Supergirl (The CW) (Last Year: 134)

teeN0Iw.png

This show went downhill so fast and its final season was a struggle to get through. The first half with the Phantom Zone was a snooze. Making a fifth dimension imp Nyxly the big bad villain was a snooze. A totem quest to save the world? They couldn't think of anything better? Also having Lex around also was terrible. He overstayed his welcome long ago. The finale assembled an impressive group of former cast, only for them to not do anything other than suit up. It went out with a whimper and I'm glad Superman & Lois seems to be ignoring her so far. With the way Supergirl wraps up, I find it hard to see how they could bring her in now.

188) Call Me Kat (Fox)

wJxlXbW.png

Call Me Kat is based on the British series Miranda and is from Mayim Bialik and Jim Parsons. The series also stars Mayim Bialik in the lead role as a woman who finds her passion in a Cat cafe she owns and is trying to find love for herself. The series breaks the fourth wall often but it is very corny and doesn't really pull at any deeper feelings. The series is coming back for a second season and that's likely the reason Mayim Bialik isn't hosting Jeopardy! full time. Hopefully it will get a little better in the second season.

187) Olaf Presents (Disney+)

f9VFLI4.png

This series is a collection of shorts where Olaf tells the plot of classic animated Disney movies in the span of 90 seconds, acting them out in his signature style. Spinning out of Frozen II where Olaf told the events of the first movie in 90 seconds, the series is a fun attempt at giving fans more Olaf, but the gag wears out fast. This season tackles The Little Mermaid, Moana, The Lion King, Aladdin and Tangled. Other minor characters from the films pop up, but its nothing more than a quick smile on your face.

186) Country Comfort (Netflix)

QShSdFN.png

I kind of loved how corny this multicamera comedy series was. A heartbroken woman end up on the doorstep of a family when a tornado hits. After a bunch of corny interactions, she becomes the nanny for the family. The widowed father is dating another woman, but the two have chemistry. The series was shut down due to the pandemic, so when they resumed filming, Katharine McPhee was pregnant so they had to film around her growing belly. I enjoyed it for what it was, but it wasn't groundbreaking in any way. The series was cancelled after one season.

185) The Mysterious Benedict Society (Disney+)

b2Qj7rd.png

The Mysterious Benedict Society was originally intended for hulu, but was eventually released on Disney+. The series is based on a book series and follows a group of clever kids who are selected by a mysterious man to infiltrate an organization that is controlling humanity without their knowledge. The kids are interesting because they're kind of wooden, but have personalities but are also dull. It was a strange viewing experience. The adult cast is solid, but the main story is involving the kids. It was renewed for a second season.

184) The Unicorn (CBS) (Last Year: 163)

NG5FgcJ.png

The Unicorn followed a single father who lose his wife and his attempts at trying to find love again after tragedy. The first season final saw the main character meet a mysterious woman who he eventually pursues a relationship with in the second season. His loyal friends and his kids help keep him grounded and help guide him on his journey. I think the series found its groove in the second season, but it wasn't enough to keep it on the air. It was cancelled after two seasons.

183) Call Your Mother (ABC)

GwOR3MT.png

Call Your Mother was not a great show. I actually really enjoyed it though! I'm able to see how it wasn't a great series but appreciated the season we got. A mother becomes concerned when she doesn't hear from one of her kids so she flies out to California to check on her kids. She ends up staying in town, and develops a relationship with her landlord, all while finding ways to embed herself more into her kids lives. The series took place in a post covid world which explained why she wanted to be with her kids after so much time apart. It had its moments, but in the end, was canceled after one season.

182) FBI: International (CBS)

YreRr8x.png

I love FBI. I enjoy to a lesser extent the first spinoff FBI: Most Wanted. This second spinoff series FBI: International, it not great. The first few episodes were rough. The characters were so wooden and they didn't feel like FBI agents at all. The initial attempts to rationalize why the FBI is involved with foreign issues was thin, but they have gotten better. Characters have relaxed more and feel more fleshed out, but it still isn't great. It looks cheap, doesn't have the same stakes as the original two series, but I can see some potential in it. It's definitely come a long was in a short time, but nothing to celebrate yet.

181) Goofy in How To Stay Home (Disney+)

kqGKpZJ.png

Disney+ put out a series during the height of the pandemic which saw Goofy dealing with being at home and struggles he has. One involved wearing a mask, another about cooking and the last about binge watching TV. The series had three shorts, and one episode where all three of the shorts are combined into one viewing experience. It was cute and a quick watch. I wish the shorts were slightly longer because by the time you got the gist of the story and the jokes, it was over.

180) Central Park (Apple TV+) (Last Year: 150)

9q8Ph59.png

The first half of the second season of Apple TV+'s Central Park aired this year. We follow the same family living in central park and their lives which almost always find themselves in funny situations.I didn't really love the first season, and I found myself in the same situation in the second season.  Each episode of the musical comedy series feature many songs, but none have really clicked for me. Maybe one this season so far, but I don't even remember the name of it off the top of my head. (I just looked, it was called Trying Too Hard)

179) Ordinary Joe (NBC)

6PDHpIU.png

This new drama series follows a guy named Joe who has a moment where his life can go off in different directions. The series follows the three choices he could have made in that moment. One, he becomes a doctor, one he becomes a rock star, and the last he becomes a cop. Each episode features moments from these sliding doors scenarios, and no one timeline is real timeline. It has its moments of trying to be a deeper emotional series, but you find yourself wishing they could just stay in one timeline at times. Not sure if it'll make it to a second season, but it has an audience so who knows.

178) Walker (The CW)

hKINJtx.png

Walker is a re imagining of the classic TV series Walker, Texas Ranger, following Walker as he goes about his life as a family man and a Texas Ranger. The first season had a good balance between the family drama, and the messy situation around his wife's murder which had its mystery play out over the season. In the second season, it feels less focused on a bigger picture, and is almost diving into a more Dynasty like plot of rival families and their inter-relationships. My favorite character was written out in the second season so it'll be hard to keep me as invested unless they do something interesting.

177) The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers (Disney+)

9crz0Qd.png

While I was never a huge fan of The Mighty Ducks, I enjoyed it when I was a kid and was instantly drawn back into the world of The Mighty Ducks for this series, mostly for nostalgia. Coach Bombay was back for the first season to help guide a new group of unlikely hickey players as they try to prove to the world that they should be able to play, even if they're not all star players. The first season was cute, and filled the role it was made for, but nothing more. I loved when the original characters showed up and played an important role for the story, and Lauren Graham did a solid job growing into her role as a coach on the series. Emilio Estevez won't be back for the second season due to Disney's vaccine requirements, which is a bummer and disappointing, but I'm certain they can keep the charm and underdog series just as solid without him.

176) HouseBroken (Fox)

zRomNHQ.png

HouseBroken has a such a strong voice cast that I knew I had to check this series out. A different type of animated series than most out there, the series follows a group of pets and wild animals who come together for a group therapy session, and we get insights into their wild and crazy lives when their owners aren't around. It was funny at times, but some episodes were a bit boring. It didn't do great in the ratings, but its one of Fox's only self owned animated series after they sold their studio to Disney so they renewed it for a second season.

omg , 200 tv series list :deadbanana2: I can't imagine this :skull: 

Central Park was cute for binge watch 

Finally a good TV shows list :jonny5:

Gossip Girl is a horrible edgy version of the OG one, it deserves to be last. Mr Mayor was a huge disappointment indeed

Not surprised Supergirl is low, the Arrowverse shows get much worse every season. (tho I only watched 5 episodes from the first season when it first aired and stopped :thing:)

Can't wait for the rest of the list :party:

Cute Top 10 songs but DEATH at there being 200 tv shows! Let me know when you're at Top 20 :coffee2:

• ATRL Administrator

Lee's Best of 2021

Top 200 TV Shows of 2021: #175 - #151

175) The Equalizer (CBS)

ElwxKer.png

The Equalizer got a big premiere leading out of the Super Bowl last season and was the number on new series last season. The reboot series follows a woman with a mysterious past in government agencies who helps out those who normally wouldn't get the help they need because of their situations or people not caring about them. She has a small team he works with and an NYPD detective who often ends up in her orbit with the cases she takes. It is full of good stories, and is easy to watch without having to commit fully.

174) Mythic Quest (Apple TV+) (Last Year 129)

RKFtCKl.png

This is another series I don't understand the hype and praise for. It's a fine show, nothing special and often forgettable. The series follows a group of employees at a video game tech company and the dysfunction behind the scenes. It has a solid cast and it has its moments, but I honestly am struggling to remember most of what happened this season aside from a few characters side stories. It tries to pull deep, but falls short.

173) La Brea (NBC)

3e65XvG.png

La Brea is a disaster mystery series that is trying to hop on the Lost train. A sink hole opens in the middle of LA separating those who fell inside from the rest of the world. There is a whole mystery behind the sinkhole with the government and people can somehow tap into the anomaly and are connected to it. It doesn't have the best acting, with it often being a distraction. Sometimes it just feels like characters were going through the motions but not connecting to the story. It was renewed for a second season.

172) Saturday Night Live (NBC) (Last Year: 158)

MXxYXfZ.png

Saturday Night Live had its moments this year. Some episodes were serviceable, while others were downright horrible. Lorne is more accepting of cast members sticking around longer so there wasn't much cast turnover this year. Only a couple left while they added a few new solid additions. The final episode of the year got disrupted by the spike in the pandemic in NYC so it went out with a whimper this year, but it'll be interesting to see how it all goes down in the new year and who will continue to stick around as we approach the 50th season in a few years.

171) Teen Titans Go! (Cartoon Network) (Last Year: 122)

AMIFTB8.png

Teen Titans Go! is a solid series that keeps pumping out funny episodes and finding new ways to put spins on classic DC comic characters, while still being over the top and silly. I always have a smile when I watch the series. This year we got some crossovers with another Cartoon Network series DC Super Hero Girls. The Space House event was fun and they did a Doom Patrol episode too which was funny. I wonder how much longer the series will run but as long as they keep it funny, I'll keep watching!

170) Abbott Elementary (ABC)

hhBZut8.png

Abbott Elementary is a new series set to premiere in 2022 but they premiered the first episode this year and I really enjoyed it. The series follows a group of teachers at an underfunded public school in Philadelphia. The series is a mockumentary style show so characters talk directly to the viewing audience and it has moments of The Office, Parks and Recreation and the sort. I think it has the potential to be a solid series and I hope it does well when it officially premieres.

169) SurrealEstate (Syfy)

iGnfmKI.png

With Syfy ending Wynonna Earp, they managed to set up SurrealEstate with a couple actors from the show. The series follows a real estate group who specializes in selling homes with unique issues like possession and haunted spirits. It tried to balance the spooky with seriousness it often had with moments of levity. I think it was a fine series but it never really went anywhere after a few episodes and was fine staying in that state. The overall story threads were okay, but I hope if it returns for another season it can ramp up some more interesting stories to keep me watching.

168) Legends of the Hidden Temple (The CW)

Y8ZIpZI.png

The classic Nickelodeon kids series is now a show made for young adults competing in the same rounds of competition. Hosted by Cristela Alonso who does a great job carrying the series, each episode sees groups of pairs try to be the last group standing to enter the temple and try to win the grand prize. As groups get eliminated they get funny consolation prizes like the kids did in the original series. It's fun, but it does get a bit repetitive each week. I can see why it works perfect for a kids series yet struggles with a more adult audience. Don't mess up the shrine of the silver monkey!

167) Another Life (Netflix) (Last Year: 137)

UxmaKtX.png

Another Life returned for a second season after a bit of a pause between seasons and was quick to make adjustments and changes with the cast. There were always more characters on board since they were put in sleep for the long trip in space, but they were quick to kill off a bunch which caught me off guard. The story picked up from the finale and is a fine science fiction space series, but it didn't do all too much to make itself stand out. It could have easily been another cheap Syfy series which is entertaining, but this one just went through the motions.

166) The Ghost and Molly McGee (Disney Channel)

mhEhL1a.png

The Ghost and Molly McGee follows a young girl who moves into a new home which has a ghost living in it. He accidentally bonds to her and has to tag along with her and do things she requests as a part of the unintended contract between the two. It has moments of humor and heart which blend well. Episodes are short in nature and I was hoping for more mythology in the series like The Owl House, but it was fun and easy to watch and always had cute moments. The music was okay, but I will be back for more when the season resume in the new year. It's also been renewed.

165) B Positive (CBS) (Last Year: 119)

AVBl0zD.png

B Positive started off as a sitcom about a guy who needed a transplant and the girl from his past that offers to give him one. In the second season, the show does a soft reboot, retooling the premise into a show about the senior living facility the woman works at. She becomes the de facto lead and they added a whole bunch of new recurring characters which are residents of the facility. It got a lot better with the retooling, but it's still not all that great. If it gets more time maybe it could become a Mom like series which also changed its initial premise.

164) grown-ish (Freeform) (Last Year: 113)

72XkJ8D.png

The group are now seniors in college and looking towards their futures while also trying to make the most of their college experiences. The show has gotten weirder as it goes on and some of the storylines this season were a bit strange. I get them trying to push some harder topics and showing how life can be rough, but I find myself enjoying it less and less. Characters make questionable choices, and no one every really ever settles into a relationship or role as they keep trying to change things up. It's likely heading towards the end now that mixed-ish has ended and black-ish is ending next year.

163) The Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse (Disney+) (Last Year: 139)

vRVeVyj.png

This animated Disney series features Mickey Mouse predominately but also taps into the other classic characters like Minnie, Donald, Daisy and Goofy. Episodes are short and cute and I love the sense of humor they use in the show. It feels like a classic Disney cartoon with a modern take. The series was split into two parts which have now both aired and it has been renewed for a second season. I don't know when we'll get it, but I'll be sure to check it out when it returns!

162) Dead Pixels (The CW) (Last Year: 110)

LsbtFbu.png

Dead Pixels is a British series which The CW acquired rights to air during the peak of the pandemic when they needed to fill holes in their schedules. The second season was also broadcast on the network this year and stuck to the same type of humor and storylines. The series revolves around a group of friends who are all connected by their love of a video game series. The show often takes place in the video game with animation and their voices as if they're hanging out playing. There's also the roommate who wants nothing to do with their game but always finds herself in the middle of whatever issue they're facing that day.

161) American Auto (NBC)

YpfuN1c.png

This new NBC series got a double episode sneak peak and I really enjoyed what I saw so far. The series follows a group of employees at a car company and the messes they find themselves in. The two episodes focused on their self driving car not accounting for black pedestrians and one of their cars being used in an abduction and murder investigation. You can easily tell the series is from the m nds behind Superstore as it shares the same type of humor. I'm hopeful it'll get even better as Superstore did with time.

160) Yasuke (Netflix)

mbiA1js.png

Yasuke is an anime series which follows a black samurai and is based on and inspired by the real lore of Yasuke. For a series titled after the main character, the series didn't focus enough on him. He found himself being the supporting role in the people he was trying to protect or bring to safety. The final battle culminates awfully quickly and there isn't much buildup. I found myself wishing they had more time to expand the story as it was only six episodes long. I hope it gets a second season so it can expand on the character more but it could just function as a mini series. 

159) Monsters at Work (Disney+)

jYJq8wI.png

Everyone loves Monsters, Inc. and this series picks up following the events of that movie where they are now harnessing energy from laugh power instead of fear. The main story focuses on a new employee who joins after training his whole life to scare, only to find out he now has to make kids laugh. He gets placed in a support staff role to help fix things around the company but always has one foot out the door. He eventually grows to bond with his new coworkers. I was surprised how much Mike and Sulley appeared in the series and it was a nice surprise.

158) Fear the Walking Dead (AMC) (Last Year: 124)

p1OiIrL.png

This year Fear the Walking Dead was more fractured than ever with characters all over the place telling small pieces of the bigger story. We got Strands full turn into villain and focusing his rage and anger over Morgan and his hopefulness. We got to see this world deal with nuclear fallout which provided for a new take on the zombie series. The series also announced the return of a character thought dead from the series in the second half of the season next year. They also announced the character would be a series regular in the newly ordered season.

157) Q-Force (Netflix)

WXzKbWq.png

This animated spy comedy focuses on a gay spy and his LGBTQ team. After a promising start to his career, the agency sidelined him due to his sexuality. He and his group latch onto a case which leads them down a big conspiracy which they are well suited to tackle. The series had some good moments, but it doesn't really break any ground in terms of story or animation, aside from it being a mostly LGBTQ cast. It was solid enough that I would watch a second season, but if not, I wouldn't be too upset.

156) Station 19 (ABC) (Last Year: 153)

WKPlK3s.png

I mostly watch this series whenever Grey's Anatomy crosses over with it but it's easy to pick up with these characters whenever I see them. Stories move forward, but they don't take much to fill in most of the blanks. The biggest crossover of the year focused on the death of one of the main characters after a bad explosion and fire hurts a lot of the team. I find myself wanting to watch more and catch up on everything I've missed but I think it's too far now to really do it.

155) Duncanville (Fox) (Last Year: 105)

CMJFBPu.png

This animated comedy follows a kid named Duncan and his family and friends who he interacts with. I love the humor in the series and it keeps the view on their toes with the witty jokes. Amy Poehler voices Duncan and his mother and she does a great job playing both roles. I think my favorite character is still Jing, the youngest daughter. She always makes me laugh. The show has been picked up for a third season and hopefully it gets a better timeslot when it returns next year.

154) The Moodys (Fox)

XLr0nAh.png

Everyone thought this show was dead after the first season didn't make much noise and the ratings were very soft. It got a surprise renewal, but it shifted the focus off the Christmas holiday. We pick up some time later where the family is brought together again. Relationships have changed, jobs have changed, but the humor stayed the same. It had its moments of over the top silly but it all came back to the heart of the family. The ratings were even softer and the season got pulled before it finished airing, putting the rest online.

153) Younger (Paramount+)

Cp7k7AR.png

The final season of Younger is a lesson in what not to do when heading towards the end of the series. The show would have almost ended better had it not come back for the final season. Characters acted out of character, the relationship drama was a waste of time, and the ambiguous ending was a let down. for a show like Younger, you needed a definitive answer, not a walk the line make you own ending. I was let down, but the spirit of the series still stands tall.

152) Dug Days (Disney+)

RgouOYD.png

DIsney gave us a series of shorts focusing on Dug the dog from the movie Up. The series focuses on his new life with Carl and the situations he finds himself in while in the backyard with other wildlife or dealing with another puppy. It was cute and sweet and I enjoyed seeing the characters again. It also featured Ed Asner who died just days before the series premiered. It was a bittersweet way to honor his memory. I'd love to see more of the shorts but with Asner's death, it may be best to leave it be.

151) Bobby and Giada in Italy (Discovery+)

h6OpXzt.png

One of the first offerings when Discovery+ launched, I was excited to check this series out and see how the streamer went. The series followed Bobby Flay as he took a trip to Italy along with Giada De Laurentiis, who is Italian. The series was a lot of fun, documenting all the places Bobby and Giada visited and all the food they ate along the way. It was a good travelogue and with only three episodes, easy to watch. It was also a nice way to see the world while we were all locked down . Hopefully they can do a followup once things get better in the world!

Monsters ink has a series now :eek:

3 hours ago, Lee!! said:

155) Duncanville (Fox) (Last Year: 105)

CMJFBPu.png

This animated comedy follows a kid named Duncan and his family and friends who he interacts with. I love the humor in the series and it keeps the view on their toes with the witty jokes. Amy Poehler voices Duncan and his mother and she does a great job playing both roles. I think my favorite character is still Jing, the youngest daughter. She always makes me laugh. The show has been picked up for a third season and hopefully it gets a better timeslot when it returns next year.

The animation style reminds me so much of Hey Arnold!

174) Mythic Quest (Apple TV+) (Last Year 129)

This is another series I don't understand the hype and praise for.

Why I'm not surprised, It's probably IASIP & Rob McElhenney's fans overhyping the show. :cm: well I'm gonna remove it from my watchlist

Top 20 songs~ Serotonin & TWAWTT are enjoyable :clap3: The Band CAMINO #1, quite a shock!! :fan: :fan: || Shows~ Haven't seen any of these but even people who were excited for a GG reboot ended up hating it :oh: Disney+'s non-Marvel shows tanking so far :oh: Their output is still pretty tragic 2 years in. I've been following Quinta Brunson ever since she was at Buzzfeed and it's great to see her have her own show (Abbott Elementary) now, might end up checking it out.

Monsters at Work was such a cute show, even if it's obviously not as good as the films, it still kept that energy :pancake:

On 12/26/2021 at 9:51 PM, Lee!! said:

Lee's Best of 2021

Another year of watching WAY too many series. Every year I'm amazed at how much content I consumed and doing these lists is a fun way to remember it all. Lots of new series on the list this year from this year and years past that I may have missed out on, with a whole lot of returning entries from Best Of's past. I actually enjoyed most of them this year, and even some of the ones towards the bottom of my list weren't too terrible. I did my best to rank them and give some insight into my decisions and/or information without any real big spoilers in them. On to the list!

Top 200 TV Shows of 2021: #200 - #176

200) Gossip Girl (HBO Max)

WvIcDNl.png

A reboot no one needed. Gossip Girl is a reboot that picks up years later after the original gossip girl with a new cast of kids dealing with the drama and crazy lives of a bunch of rich kids in the city. The kids look older than some of the teachers. Revealing Gossip Girl's identity so early on took away some of the mystery, especially with how disturbing and convoluted the real really is. The series really thinks it is skewering the elite class, but it is nothing of the sort. Vapid, unnecessary and unwatchable.

189) Supergirl (The CW) (Last Year: 134)

teeN0Iw.png

This show went downhill so fast and its final season was a struggle to get through. The first half with the Phantom Zone was a snooze. Making a fifth dimension imp Nyxly the big bad villain was a snooze. A totem quest to save the world? They couldn't think of anything better? Also having Lex around also was terrible. He overstayed his welcome long ago. The finale assembled an impressive group of former cast, only for them to not do anything other than suit up. It went out with a whimper and I'm glad Superman & Lois seems to be ignoring her so far. With the way Supergirl wraps up, I find it hard to see how they could bring her in now.

178) Walker (The CW)

hKINJtx.png

Walker is a re imagining of the classic TV series Walker, Texas Ranger, following Walker as he goes about his life as a family man and a Texas Ranger. The first season had a good balance between the family drama, and the messy situation around his wife's murder which had its mystery play out over the season. In the second season, it feels less focused on a bigger picture, and is almost diving into a more Dynasty like plot of rival families and their inter-relationships. My favorite character was written out in the second season so it'll be hard to keep me as invested unless they do something interesting.

Gossip Girl was so bad compared to the original yet i still watched it

I agree Supergirl could have been better but it could have been worse too I guess.  At least it got a proper send off.  Overall, it wasn't that bad a series.

I liked Walker enough to  watch S2.  Who was written out?

16 hours ago, Lee!! said:

173) La Brea (NBC)

3e65XvG.png

La Brea is a disaster mystery series that is trying to hop on the Lost train. A sink hole opens in the middle of LA separating those who fell inside from the rest of the world. There is a whole mystery behind the sinkhole with the government and people can somehow tap into the anomaly and are connected to it. It doesn't have the best acting, with it often being a distraction. Sometimes it just feels like characters were going through the motions but not connecting to the story. It was renewed for a second season.

Ah, I find the acting ok.  This was also the highest  rated new series  though right?

Edited by Insanity

• ATRL Administrator

Lee's Best of 2021

Top 200 TV Shows of 2021: #150 - #126

150) Titans (HBO Max)

xOVSZL0.png

Titans remains a let down after three seasons. The show tries so hard to be edgy and tough and dark that it just feels empty. Introducing such an iconic character as Red Hood had be hopeful, but it was a wasted role for an irredeemable character. The death this season was dumb, the writing out characters who left for ~reasons~ were likely pandemic caused, but were awkward and left so many things unanswered. The season was a mess and the few characters I still care about are wearing thin. I don't have any reason to believe the show can get better in its fourth season.

149) The Wonder Years (ABC)

rjAETer.png

This reboot/re-imagining of the classic series The Wonder Years has been solid so far. Not great, but solid and consistent. I appreciate the series ability to tell stories from the 60s which still resonate with today and the struggles black people still have to face. It is a series about family and a good coming of age series. The series also features a voice over from Don Cheadle playing the grown version of the main character as an adult, telling each story.

148) Bless The Harts (Fox) (Last Year: 114)

dFtilSE.png

Bless The Harts followed a working class family who were doing their best to make the most of their lives and the funny situations they often found themselves in. A sitcom first and an animated comedy second, each episode was full of funny moments and lots of heart. The family truly care about each other and when they make rash decisions, they're often doing them for the good of themselves or their loved ones, as wrong as it may go. It was canceled after two seasons.

147) Star Trek: Prodigy (Paramount+)

Vnx2cNE.png

Star Trek: Prodigy is an animated kids series which takes place in the greater Star Trek universe. The series follows a group of kids who stumble upon a Starfleet vessel and escape off their planet where they were essentially child slaves. On board, is am AI in the form of Janeway who helps guide the kids on the run. The series has so much potential. The main character is so unlikable and they really need to tame him down. The rest of the characters are solid and I hope they can adjust course in the upcoming next batch of episodes. It has already been renewed for a second season.

146) Animaniacs (hulu) (Last Year: 91)

dsPAyDx.png

Animaniacs returned for a second season as part of its two season order full of more social commentary and zany jokes. The series offers tales from history and pop culture putting their own unique spin on it again. The series is a reboot of the original series from the 90s and it works just as well today. the series also features a Pinky and the Brain story each episode which I enjoyed more this season than the last season. I hope they can do more episodes! I'd come back for more.

145) Master of None (Netflix)

7I7Juoe.png

After years of no new episodes, Master of None returned for a shorter third season with a new take on the series. The episodes were dubbed Moments in Love and followed one of the characters from the main series who is now married and has had success as an author. The series was short very artfully with the camera often lingering on scenes as if we're a fly on the wall. the dialog felt natural and you really felt these characters were real. The focus on IVF was the strongest part of the season. I missed the original flow of the series but this was a nice surprise.

144) Bridge and Tunnel (Epix)

QCSfdcx.png

Bridge and Tunnel is a coming of age story about a group of friends between college and adulthood. They deal with relationships, work issues and finding who they want to be at this crossroad. The series felt like an indie film with a low key vibe and the conflict felt real. You can see how each character is ready for the next stage in their lives and the chemistry between the cast felt real. It was easy to watch and enjoy and I was happy when it got renewed for a second season which will hopefully air next year.

143) Last Man Standing (Fox) (Last Year: 101)

WFNeeUF.png

Last Man Standing returned for its (second) final season this year after three seasons on Fox and six seasons on ABC. I was surprised initially at the show ending so soon after being revived, but it made sense. The stories this season were in a post covid world and it dealt with the family adjusting to their new normal and where they want their lives to go in the future. I always enjoyed the heart at the center of the series and the humor was spot on. It liked to poke fun at liberals but it took its shots just as much at the right. I will miss this one (again).

142) Top Chef Amateurs (Bravo)

IVU07u0.png

I came into the Top Chef universe after most of the spinoff series had already ended so when I heard there was a new spinoff series coming out, I knew I had to check it out. This series sees two amateur chefs and fans of Top Chef compete against each other with the guidance of a former Top Chef contestant. They were also judged by Gail and two other Top Chef alumni. The contestants were fun and all had great visions and cooking chops. After such a strong season of Top Chef, it was nice to be able to keep that competition mentality from the franchise going.

141) Big Sky (ABC) (Last Year: 159)

t2GhUdj.png

Big Sky wrapped up its first story from the first season, introduced a second story, and had a brand new case when it returned for season three. The series really came into itself when it returned at the beginning of the year. The second case was good, and then the current case is a bit of a snooze. They dragged out one of the storylines into the second season, and it's been the least interesting part of it. I hope they start a new case in the second half of the second season when it returns next year.

140) The Upshaws (Netflix)

LgxGz0p.png

The Upshaws is a multicamera comedy following a black family. The main character has a kid with another woman and it brings a strain onto his marriage. He works at an auto repair shop and he finds himself in situations he likely could have avoided if he thought more about the consequences that could result. It gets real for a sitcom and has some great moments of standing up for ones self and showing how families can grow and change when it is necessary.

139) Home Economics (ABC)

sjaIwCa.png

Home Economics is a comedy series that follows the families of three siblings. One of the siblings is well off and has lots of money. One sibling is making it through but struggles with money issues and is trying to write his second novel to help bring glory to himself and his family again. The other sibling lives in a tiny apartment and they struggle, often having to make tough decisions. They all get together way too often as they joke in the show and it often results in finny situations. It has grown on me in the second season and hopefully it'll keep getting better.

138) Kenan (NBC)

BvGyeEa.png

Kenan is a comedy series about a single dad who is the lead anchor of a successful local morning show. His wife died, and he is raising his two daughters along with the help of his manager/brother, and his father in law. The series deals with the struggles of getting back out there after losing someone so important, having to raise kids, and how to manage a work life balance. It was funny, but sometimes didn't fully stick the landing. I hope it can get even better in the second season when it returns early next year.

137) Earth To Ned (Disney+) (Last Year: 82)

Ovvssih.png

The second half of the first season of Earth to Ned aired this year and continued seeing Ned host an intergalactic talk show where he beams celebrities aboard his spaceship to discuss different topics like food and laughter and love. He often trades funny barbs with his sidekick who he often sends to earth to teach him different earth customs and ideas. The celebrities on each episode commit to the bit and I have a great laugh hearing their interactions with Ned who is always hilarious.

136) Roswell, New Mexico (The CW) (Last Year: 157)

X3gbXN9.png

Roswell, New Mexico was borderline unwatchable in its second season. The show went nowhere and they didn't really offer anything exciting story wise or character growth wise. That all changed in season three which saw a creative change at the top. The characters intentions were laid out, the romance still played a part, but it was a part of the character growth which almost every character saw. The cliffhanger ended had me speechless and it has me really excited to see what happens when it returns for season four next year.

135) The Chair (Netflix)

rXMAR0h.png

The Chair had a lot of things going for it. The cast was great, the creative forces behind it were good, the premise was solid, and yet it fell flat to me. At times I couldn't tell if it was trying to be a commentary on how far liberal colleges have gone with their wokeness or if it was showing how it was commending them for being a beacon of progress. The story felt unresolved and characters made questionable choices, which make sense at times, but didn't leave an enjoyable viewing for me. I would love to see more and see if they can fine tune things better, but if this is a one off series, I'm glad I watched.

134) Glitch Techs (Netflix)

5Wvflvi.png

Glitch Techs is a Nickelodeon series which aired on Netflix for two seasons. It was on my list since it came out and I finally got around to watching it. A group of teens find out the truth behind their favorite video game company and become glitch techs. These specialists help fix problems when video games glitch, and they act out, causing chaos and damage int he real world. The premise is cute, the characters are fun, and it was enjoyable for me as an adult. There was a third season intended to be animated and is already recorded, but it never transpired. I'm glad I got to enjoy the two seasons we got!  Also the theme song is really really catchy and fun.

133) SEAL Team (CBS/Paramount+) (Last Year: 109)

b89kCFL.png

SEAL Team returned for a fifth season this current season and made its transition from CBS to its streaming service Paramount+ after a four episode event. The new season saw the team deal with more tense situations only they could accomplish. The season also took a hard look at the inner workings of the main cast and their personal, mental and emotional struggles. It felt like it got even more "tough guy is tough because man tough" but did show the cracks in that mentality with everything they are all now dealing with. There's a few episodes left in the season when it returns early next year.

132) Coroner (The CW) (Last Year 73)

Hfiv5gW.png

Season three of Coroner aired this summer and leaned into the pandemic as a part of its storytelling. It showed the strain on medical workers, and even those at the coroners office who still have to deal with death and criminal cases. The new season saw the main couple separated, and hinted at  new romances blooming with other people when they were apart. We also saw less of a focus on the case of the week and more of the personal lives of the main characters. It's been renewed for a fourth season in Canada but The CW has committed to airing the season yet here in the US.

131) Waffles + Mochi (Netflix)

HHQXz2c.png

This series is adorable and I wish it was something I could have watched when I was a kid. The series follows two puppets, Waffles and Mochi as they branch out and try to learn about food, flavors and expanding their world view. They get jobs at the supermarket, where Michelle Obama is their boss, and they often have to explore the world, using a magic shopping cart, to find food items, spices, flavors and learn along the way. The series is cute and clever and the holiday special episode they did made me smile so much. I hope we get more episodes!

130) M.O.D.O.K. (hulu)

5Ed3ZFJ.png

It's about time we got a MODOK adaptation and the stop motion animation they used on the series was perfect. I loved all the voice acting, the storyline for the season was hilarious and it's a shame the hulu animated Marvel universe was killed before it could ever take off. I hope somehow they can bring it back for a second season. With the rumors about them possibly bringing MODOK into the MCU, it may be hard to get it back. More people need to watch this!

129) Y: The Last Man (FX on hulu)

2W6vO1y.png

I read the Y: The Last Man comics years ago and I have been waiting for the day it got its own live action adaptation. It took a long time to make it on the air once it was announced, moving networks, changing casts, the pandemic. All those setbacks made it hard for the series. FX on hulu was forced to make a call before the run was even up because of the delays and canceled it. There's rumors someone like hulu proper may pick it up, but I'm not holding my breath. It's a shame. The adaptation was really good, even with the liberties it took with the source material.

128) Inside Job (Netflix)

7mhrfuZ.png

Inside Job is an animated workplace comedy following a group of barely functioning humans working for the deep state and a secret government organization set on keeping the real secrets of the world and the government from getting out. The series has a great creative backing and I was excited for it. I wasn't as happy with the results, but it was a fun series and there are still more episodes to come from the first season. I think now that they've set the series up, it has the potential to get even funnier and more creative.

127) The Walking Dead (AMC) (Last Year: 99)

cbEdFC1.png

The Walking Dead headed into its final season this year but we also got an additional 6 episodes added on to season ten. Those six episodes were not good at all. They filmed these episodes at the height of the pandemic so they were limited with what they could do on a series which usually requires close contact dealing with zombies and other humans. Once the final season kicked off, it felt more like the usual series, but it still was lacking a strong focus that we could really latch onto. There are a lot of moving parts and it didn't really set up an endgame yet. With two parts with 8 episodes each left, hopefully we'll see it come together.

126) The Great Food Truck Race (Food Network) (Last Year: 118)

s0fQkR2.png

The Great Food Truck Race filmed two seasons during the pandemic. The first that was aired on TV (which was actually filmed second) saw groups compete in Alaska. it provided for some interesting problems which we never saw happen in the competition. Also events dealing with the cold and snow and unique Alaskan issues was fun. The second season was an All Star season in California which was easy to film since everyone knew the way things went. I was surprised with the eliminations with some of the strongest trucks going out earlier than I expected. I hope we get more seasons next year!

4 hours ago, Lee!! said:

146) Animaniacs (hulu) (Last Year: 91)

So many great late 90s' memories :smitten:

11 hours ago, Lee!! said:

150) Titans (HBO Max)

That death made me stop watching the show after it, I can't with the cheesy dialogue and the characters stupid decisions in every episode. The show will never improve or reach its peak with these writers

Spoiler

135) The Chair (Netflix)

129) Y: The Last Man (FX on hulu)

Yeah the Chair was so average, nothing impressive

As for Y i lost hope with this show with the amount of setbacks it had, completely made me unexcited for it

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.