Diversity 4: The Re-Up | Winner revealed (pg.132)

thecptz

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thecptz

• Tom Vercetti

• Dessy

• Kavish

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh :chick2: :rip:

Edited by Not Like The Movies

Fcq76Gl.png

ROUND 12

genre benders

after the shock elimination of Whitney Houston, here we are at the top 7 of Diversity 4

you guys have shown us a lot of things but in order to really show the judges and the viewers that u are the artist with multi-talents,

we'd like to see more from you

in this theme....

'genre benders'

for this round, we want you to submit a song that blends/incorporate more than ONE (1) genre of music! right... thats why its called genre benders!! so if you want to say that the song consists of the element of pop music and rock music. that is fine. the element of pop music and electronic music. that is fine. the element of r&b music and soul music. that is also fine. just make sure that there is more than one genre of music in ur submission and explain to the judges well! IN YOUR EXPLANATION, PLEASE TELL THE JUDGES WHAT GENRES YOUR SONG BLENDS/INCORPORATES.

our lovely judges will score each part: 5 for how it fits the theme and 5 for judges' personal taste. so please do your best, everything counts!

do your best lovelies and stay away from the bottom 2!

SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY HERE!

you can submit your entry only once. however, you can still go back and edit things until the deadline.

if you make any edit in your submission, please ping me in the thread or on discord x

you will have 24 hours for this. no extension will be granted x

DEADLINE: 11.30AM ET ON MONDAY 6TH DECEMBER

if you have any questions, feel free to leave them here or DM me.

good luck and have fun :heart2:

7 minutes ago, Tom Vercetti said:

hopefully the new one won't require much writing/thought 

what do u think???

Just now, thecptz said:

what do u think???

not too bad 

Fcq76Gl.png

ROUND 12 (genre benders)

ENTRIES

SPOTIFY PLAYLIST

Aaliyah - Extra Smooth

Spoiler

One of the most addictively strange songs I've heard in my life, "Extra Smooth" is an unconventional track from Aaliyah's genre-bending self-titled album. While integrating various elements and sub-genres, at a high level, the song can be described as a fusion of the R&B and electronic genres. Vocally, Aaliyah treats the song as an R&B track, with an appropriately smooth vocal delivery, marked with soulful harmonies and her hallmark soft tones. The rhythmic structure has elements of funk and new jack swing, especially clear in the introductory base-line that carries throughout. Once the vocals begin, tradition is thrown out the window -- the instrumentation flips immediately into heavily electronic territory, with blaring synthesizers and futuristic synths. The production even draws on elements of electronic sub-genres, such as 2-step, which features jittery and irregular rhythms and is a derivative of electronic UK garage music. Ultimately, the listener is presented with a very unique mixture of sounds that simultaneously clash, yet work very well together. 20 years later, "Extra Smooth" (like all of Aaliyah) still sounds futuristic and innovative, having taken many risks to mix genres and establish trends for the new millennium.

Miley Cyrus - Midnight Sky

Spoiler

Disco pop, synth pop, pop rock, electro pop she is a genre bender master of all four elements and when the world needed her the most she released Midnight Sky

Red Velvet - Naughty

Spoiler

K-Pop/Deep House

Every now and then K-Pop producers delve into the house genre and take inspiration in it's metallic, bubbly, bass-heavy sounds to make a radio friendly pop jam. "Naughty" is one of the best offerings of this marriage of genres - a classy, cool, and above all dancefloor ready bop. The video and performances for this are a must watch, with the terrific use of voguing and tutting.

Shakira - Objection (Tango)

Spoiler

Shakira mixes pop-rock (with surf rock influences) with tango on this song.

Shania Twain - Man! I Feel Like a Woman!

Spoiler

This classic smash hit is one of the greatest examples of Shania's signature ability to blur the lines between country, pop, and rock. The country-style vocal delivery combined with the rock-inspired instrumentation and Shania's pop sensibilities create an infectious fusion of genres that everyone can enjoy.

Taylor Swift - ...Ready for It?

Spoiler

With reputation, Taylor added different mixes to the pop formula that she used in 1989. …Ready For It? is a clear example of this. The song itself is an electropop song. It incorporates elements from various genres including industrial, dubstep and EDM. During the verses, Taylor raps over deep synthesizers and bass drops. Then the chorus hits with the standard pop sound that is very reminiscent of her previous album.

Tinashe - Bouncin

Spoiler

Tinashe has plenty of experience with incorporating pop and hip hop elements into her music so I chose Bouncin because it blends all three genres of contemporary r&b, pop (through the melodies) and hip hop (through the production) into a concise mixture. For any judges wondering about the hip hop inclusion, Bouncin's production resembles instrumental cloud rap. Cloud Rap, according to RateYourMusic, is defined as a "form of Hip Hop characterized by a distinct form of relaxed, ethereal, dream-like, and reverb-heavy production.", which can be heard throughout the song. It's one of the main reasons why the song has a floating feel to it. Bouncin is anything but plain and has the musical palette to appeal to multiple audiences.

while you all wait for the judges, here are all the songs for you to have fun with it OR you can just critique these songs too :heart2:

judges will have 34 hours (10pm ET on tuesday 7th) to judge your entries!!

Fcq76Gl.png

ROUND 12 (genre benders)

ENTRIES

for judges' critiques list

SPOTIFY PLAYLIST

Aaliyah - Extra Smooth

Red Velvet - Naughty

Tinashe - Bouncin

while you all wait for the judges, here are all the songs for you to have fun with it OR you can just critique these songs too :heart2:

judges will have 34 hours (10pm ET on tuesday 7th) to judge your entries!!

@Overprotected @Dessy @Navyofbadgals @Staryu @Kavish

Great round

8jMJB4e.jpg

⸸ Kavish ⛧ Kritiques ⸸

~

@Element - Aaliyah – Extra Smooth

Reminiscent of your previous experimental entries - "What If" and "Messed Up" – her smooth vocals paired with the clunky, whimsical, and sinister sound is an enjoyable and engaging contrast. It's like walking through the chaotic Willy Wonka factory and being captivated by the smell of sweet chocolate.

@boys - Miley Cyrus – Midnight Sky

"Midnight Sky" is the ideal sound for Miley : it compliments her style and her hoarse voice perfectly. With its message of personal freedom backed by a nightly and knightly sound, it's an ideal song for anyone seeking independence, as well as an escape from the grey skies of our lives.

@mokitsu - Red Velvet – Naughty

The verses have a nice bouncy beat and the finger-snapping during the pre-chorus adds some oomph to the song. While I appreciate the switch up onto the chorus, I am not a big fan of the chorus itself. Its mechanical brashness subdues my overall enjoyment down a notch.

@Opulent - Shakira – Objection (Tango)

Tango mixed with pop rock sounds so unusual on paper, but Shakira made an absolute banger out of it. It's hard to stay put with such a fast-paced and groovy tune, and she elevates it even further when she starts to rap during the bridge. A classic that proved that Shakira wasn't a global fluke with "Whenever, Wherever".

@Auburn - Shania Twain – Man! I Feel Like a Woman!

You know it's about to go down when you hear "Let's go girls!". The country and rock sounds are so distinct from each other and yet Shania blends the genres effortlessly into an irresistible pop smash. We stan a female empowerment song that has also become a gay anthem. This is what iconic sounds like.

@Rence - Taylor Swift – ...Ready for It?

It's not only a genre-bender with the marriage of sounds, but her vocal delivery from the verses to the chorus also display distinguishable styles. The bridge enhances this euphonious experience as it transforms into an anthemic witch hunt. Like picking the most exotic chocolate in a surprise box, we were not ready for it, but it was exciting.

@Tom Vercetti – Tinashe – Bouncin

It's impressive how the song can be both hard-hitting and dream-like at the same time, as if it's offering the listener a choice between grooving or just chilling. The switch-ups in Tinashe's vocal delivery is also noteworthy as she bounces in between the different sections. An addictive and pleasant vibe.

~

5be2af7b91d02c2fb9154549efafb8d4.jpg

Vt2dVNT.png

All these songs fit the theme, good job :clap3: 

Aaliyah - Extra Smooth
This is definitely my favorite experimental sound from the album and it lives up to it's title by having slick production and Aaliyah's smooth velvety vocals. 

My favorite Miley song of all time, she found her sound and her vocals and personality really come through in all the pop/rock/synthy goodness. 

Red Velvet - Naughty
The song was just fine until the parts where the beat kicks in, I really enjoyed those the most. I didn't really love the scary robot voice saying Naughty.

This is such a fun song, I love the surf rock influences, very unique for a pop star to use and idk if any could pull it off like Shakira did. 

This is an iconic anthem for a reason, it's the original fuck the patriarchy keychain and it blends pop, rock, and country perfectly.

The pre-chorus is my favorite part of the song, I love her sweet she sounds and then it takes an edgy turn "are you ready for it?", I like how this was a new sound for her, it added to the edgy feel of reputation as a whole. 

Tinashe - Bouncin
The production of this reminds me of like a fairy fountain in a Zelda game, it has a whimsical quality to it that is very enjoyable. 

Mariah Carey Shares Details on Her Upcoming Album: 'This Is a Labor of Love  and I'm Really Excited' | lovebscott.com

OVERPROTECTED'S CRITIQUES

Spoiler

Aaliyah - Extra Smooth - Nice, it’s very nice.

Miley Cyrus - Midnight Sky - Mildred did what she had to do here, the genre bending is on another level...

Red Velvet - Naughty - I think the pre-chorus was the only part I really enjoyed here, the rest is just kinda basic. I’m not a big fan sorry. 

Shakira - Objection (Tango) - Spanish version outsold but ofc I understand you sending the english version. A massive bop and a classic I must say.

Shania Twain - Man! I Feel Like a Woman! - An iconic timeless classic, you knew what you were doing by saving this smash for as long as possible. I do prefer the original country version but this one goes off too. 

Taylor Swift - ...Ready for It? - Genre bending queen, we love to see some reputation bops, the production might have aged but I still can enjoy it for what it is. The chorus has always been a bit weak for me though. 

Tinashe - Bouncin - I’m obsessed with the loop here, it’s so hypnotizing and her delivery in the verses is so good. It’s a yes from me.

• ATRL Moderator

thank you judges <3 this is going to be a close round i fear

More

thnx judges.

16 minutes ago, Element said:

this is going to be a close round i fear

definitely 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.