Diversity 4: The Re-Up | Winner revealed (pg.132)

thecptz

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thecptz

• Tom Vercetti

• Dessy

• Kavish

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Opulent said:

WHEW

Welcum back

fYp6CPn.png

Fcq76Gl.png

ROUND 5

i'm not like other girls

after the sad departures of St. Vincent and Demi Lovato, we finally have our top 16 of Diversity 4!

and since we've already eliminated 10 of you, this time we want something different.

i think you guys have been wanting to show me and the judges more about your act by now and this is YOUR time because it's time to meet....

'i'm not like other girls'

we want you to send in a song that is unique/different from anything that your artist has done in the past. you can go with lyrical aspect OR production aspect as well! for example, it can be like your artist has always done songs about broken heart, this is the first time they've done song about happy love. or it can be like this song is the start of the shift of your artists sound and it's so different than everything!!!

an explanation is not required but with this theme, you might have to explain yourself on why it's different.

our lovely judges will score each part: 5 for how it fits the theme and 5 for judges' personal taste. so please do your best, everything counts!

again, this round is A DOUBLE ELIMINATION. :wink:

do your best lovelies!

SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY HERE!

you can submit your entry only once. however, you can still go back and edit things until the deadline.

if you make any edit in your submission, please ping me in the thread or on discord x

you will have 30/31 hours for this. no extension will be granted x

DEADLINE: 5AM ET ON MONDAY 8TH NOVEMBER

starting from next round, the deadlines will be 24 hours!

if you have any questions, feel free to leave them here or DM me.

good luck and have fun :heart2:

I will be reading this time

reading is fundamental

fYp6CPn.png

On 10/30/2021 at 9:56 PM, Opulent said:

I WILL get my win sooner or later though
watch me sing-off and lose next round after making this statement

The way I nearly manifested my own elimination nnn

Never taking a risk on a song I like again, I am strictly a CHARTS not the arts girl now

Edited by Opulent

Not my bestie eliminated :cries:

Not my bestie eliminated :cries:

Dddd at all the rounds after my elimination having something fitting for my artist :gaycat6: 

Rigby was right about instinct and overthinking :chick3:

9/16 entries in :heart2: about 8.30hrs left

don't forget... SELL YOUR SUBMISSION WELL!

@Element @shelven @clue @Not Like The Movies @touya kinomoto @Drifloon @boys @mokitsu @Opulent @Auburn @Noah @Rence @Tom Vercetti @ughgabriel @luckystrike @PinkBox

1 hour ago, thecptz said:

@Opulent also what timezone do u use

Central, I just subtract an hour from whatever ET deadline is provided :lakitu:

Edited by Opulent

oooh yass

fYp6CPn.png

Fcq76Gl.png

ROUND 5 (i'm not like other girls)

ENTRIES

SPOTIFY PLAYLIST

Aaliyah - What If

Spoiler

“What If”, the closing track on Aaliyah’s final studio album, was a noticeable departure from anything previously heard from her. It was a complete 180 from her comfort zone — musical experimentation was her clear goal. Across her discography, Aaliyah had solidified her status as an excellent R&B/hip-hop hitmaker. She had mastered ballads and crafted some mid-tempo pop gems; but as the new millennium began, Aaliyah was looking to take her career into new, different directions. She had secured multiple acting roles and, from a musical perspective, was looking for new producers and artists to collaborate with. She refused to be boxed in by label or societal expectations. On “What If”, Aaliyah stepped away from her most frequent writers and producers (Missy Elliott, Timbaland, Eric Seats, and Rapture Stewart) to work with Jeffrey “J-Dub” Walker.

Described as “Detroit techno meets industrial rock”, the metal-influenced track is a frenzy of attitude, aggression, and power. Pulsating electronic guitar riffs permeate the glitching synth foundation, as her stern voice (which is usually much more subdued) commands attention. One of her most uptempo songs, clocking in at 143 BPM, Aaliyah proved that she could switch effortlessly from smooth & sensual to energetic & anthemic on the same album. There’s truly nothing quiet or restrained about this track. As a huge fan of Nine Inch Nails, Aaliyah was actually on the verge of collaborating on some future songs with Trent Reznor (he had expressed interest back). This love of industrial rock was an inspiration for “What If”; she hadn’t fully let loose on a song before like this, but this surely felt like an audition for a collaboration with one of her favorite artists - which would have been very left field compared to her previous work.

As the final song added to Aaliyah’s catalogue before her tragic death, “What If” feels like a distressingly ironic and apropos song title. There are so many “what ifs” and question marks about what Aaliyah’s career could have become over the years. Who would she have collaborated with? Would she have continued to experiment with new genres? Would she have crossed over into rock? Metal? Electronic? The possibilities were truly endless for her, and through the unique stylistic risks on “What If”, it’s immensely clear that she was eager to jump into a new echelon of artistic exploration.

Billie Eilish - Billie Bossa Nova

Spoiler

Even from just reading the title of this song, it already becomes clear that this song will be something new from Billie. Sonically, the song is heavily inspired by the Brazilian bossa nova genre that not only had never been explored by Billie before, but is rarely explored by American artists in general. The result is a sultry and sensual sound that stands out from everything else in Billie's discography - it's obviously different from her more heavily produced songs, but the Latin flare also separates it from her other more traditional acoustic and mid-tempo songs. Lyrically, the song is also new for Billie, as she explores a flirty and seductive narrative that she's never fully leaned into before. While she's been flirty in the past in songs like My Strange Addiction or even Bad Guy, those songs' lyrics take a very aggressive, in-your-face approach to flirtation, whereas the more subtle, intimate approach to BBN's lyrics showcase a Billie who is much more mature when it comes to the passionate side of romance.

Charli XCX - Vroom Vroom

Spoiler

"Vroom Vroom" will arguably go down as Charli's signature song. It marked her foray into Hyperpop/Bubblegum Bass, two genres that she has pioneered in the past decade.

Chloe x Halle - Ungodly Hour

Spoiler

This Disclosure produced pop perfection is a very different sound for the R&B duo. Chloe x Halle's discography is filled with excellent Alternative and Contemporary R&B music. This song is primarily house and dance pop, it is fused with tiny hints of R&B. Disclosure's production is undeniably house which can be used at a runway, gay ball or party. Their music is not usually this upbeat and pop-driven therefore this song is a perfect example of an unusual sound for the duo which showcases their diversity.

Ellie Goulding - Tides

Spoiler

Ellie's music is mostly categorized as synthpop and electropop. She has also dabbled on dance-pop and dream-pop. Now this song may be in that realm but hear me when I say that Ellie may have dabbled a bit with hyperpop with this song. Two of the most present musical qualities of hyperpop are overblown bass and vocal distortion. Those elements may not be present but you could hear those in some parts and they stand out in a good way. Also this song feels like a natural sonic progression from Lights to Halcyon to Delirium. It has musical influences from all her previous albums and those influences plus a bit of hyperpop makes this excellent song sonically unique in Ellie's discography.

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Intrasport

Spoiler

For genre chameleons like King Gizz, it is hard to find something that differs from the rest of their catalog. From synth pop to metal to jazz to folk and everything in between, the Lizard one has dabbled in it all across their 18(!) albums. However, there is one song that King Grizzler fans agree stands out amongst the band's many records.

Released in 2020 as the first single to album K.G., "Intrasport" combines elements of Turkish disco, house, and funk in a delectable dance track. This track is unlike any other Liz Wiz song out there; the genres mentioned have remained otherwise untouched by the Queen Glitz, and in fact this is their only song with an electronic drum kit instead of an acoustic one! Before the release of Butterfly 3000 in 2021 (where Shanghai, the audition song was from), this was actually one of Lizard Wizard's only songs that featured synthesizers at all! This song is not only a bop but an undeniable fit for the "not like other girls" theme.

Miley Cyrus - We Can't Stop

Spoiler

On March 24th, 2006 Hannah Montana premiered on TV's across America and introduced the world to there new Disney darling Miley Cyrus. She continued to show us that side of her up until the showed ended on January 16th, 2011. Between that time Miley gave us 4 albums and an EP as the by the books Disney girl we had seen for so many years by those that came before her. All that changed on June 3rd when Miley released We Can't Stop and the music video followed not too long after. Miley was born a new with her look but especially her music. The production was something new that we hadn't ever heard from the pop star and the lyrics? Let's just say Mickey Mouse had to stop Minnie from twerking in front of the kids. The lyrics were something she would never have gotten away with while released music with Disney and just the ultimate expression of her being free from the chains of Mickey.

Miley sings "To my home girls here with the big butts

Shaking it like we at a strip club

Remember only God can judge us

Forget the haters 'cause somebody loves ya".

You know this was the exact moment you knew Miley became one of your POP GIRLS it was something she had never done before.

Red Velvet - Zimzalabim

Spoiler

Red Velvet had dipped their toes in fun, pop music, but never tried something maximalist and experimental like Zimzalabim. This direction took fans by surprise and even I was… shocked when it came out, even though I love its genius messiness now. It’s inspired by f(x) and it has some similarities with Red Light. Lyrically it talk about initiating someone in a cult (!) with Zimzalabim being their incantation, and I think you can hear some eerie aspects in the production - the sudden drop into darkness after a warm and bubbly verse, some evil laughs here and there. They’re not like the other girls, they’re witches!

English translation: https://krsing.com/kpop-redvelvet/zimzalabim/lyrics-english

while you all wait for the judges, here are all the songs for you to have fun with it OR you can just critique these songs too :heart2:

judges will have 36 hours (4pm ET on tuesday 9th) to judge your entries!!

Fcq76Gl.png

ROUND 5 (i'm not like other girls)

ENTRIES

SPOTIFY PLAYLIST

Shakira - Las de la Intuición

Spoiler

I chose this song because it's an ethereal, synthpop gem unlike anything Shakira had released up until that point. Shakira was 10 years into her mainstream career at this point and had already explored many different genres and sounds: latin pop, rock, worldbeat, tango, reggaetón, etc., but she had never released a song that sounded quite like this. I went with this as my pick because I feel that it was the beginning of a new sonic journey in Shakira’s career. The album this song is featured on came out in 2005, but it wasn’t released as a single until 2007 after the end of the Oral Fixation era, and Shakira would go on to release her album “She Wolf” 2 years later in 2009. I consider this significant because Shakira went full out synth/electropop on that album, and I believe that this song could be considered the beginning of her exploration of that sound. It’s not the exact same sound of course, this song features slight pop rock influences, but I believe that that only contributes to the unique place it holds in Shakira’s discography, as no other song of hers mixes her classic pop rock sound with this grand dance/synth pop sound in the same way. It’s a unique song in Shakira’s catalog for the aforementioned reasons, ESPECIALLY at the time of release, and it arguably marked the beginning of a new musical journey for her, which is why I consider it a fitting choice for this round.

English Translation: https://lyrics-on.net/en/1005053-las-de-la-intuicion-lyrics.html

There's also an English version called "Pure Intuition" out there that was never released on any album and isn't on streaming, but it's on YouTube. The Spanish version is better imo, but it's there for language purposes if anybody is interested.

Shania Twain - Any Man of Mine

Spoiler

This song was Shania's first real taste of the country-pop fusion she'd later become well-known for, and was also the beginning of her turning gender stereotypes into witty lyrics. The success of Any Man of Mine on country and pop formats was basically the start of her shift to being seen a viable crossover artist in both genres. As a result, her following music began taking on a much more global pop appeal.

Sufjan Stevens - Impossible Soul

Spoiler

Impossible Soul is by far one of the biggest standouts and most unique songs in Sufjan’s discography with experimental production and a mix of genres culminating in this 25 minute long five part epic unlike anything he has done before. It serves as the closing track to Sufjan’s acclaimed experimental 2010 album The Age of Adz. The length may be intimidating, but I encourage you to sit back, relax, and enjoy the journey! I personally find extremely long songs to often be pretentious or unnecessary, but this manages to keep interest throughout because it progresses like a book or play that follows a cohesive storyline similar to Freytag’s Pyramid with exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution/denouement. The song can be broken down into five parts, unofficially titled: Part 1 - The Impossible Soul (0:00-3:56), Part 2 - Don’t Be Distracted (3:56-9:55), Part 3 - Stupid Man (9:55-13:48), Part 4 - Not So Impossible (13:48-22:20), and Part 5 - Pleasure Principle (22:20-25:34). The song blends together as a spiritual journey on grief and acceptance. My favorite sections are part four and five uwu

Taylor Swift - cardigan

Spoiler

Folklore in its entirety is a departure from the mainstream sound that Taylor made with her last 3 pop albums. Shake it Off/1989 is another clear choice, but a lot of people have speculated that she will cross over to a different genre because her country music especially Red have leaned towards pop sometimes. After Lover, nobody expected her to take the alternative route especially when she surprised the world with the announcement last year. Cardigan brings the sophisticated songwriting and mature sound that were missing from her previous pop albums.

Tinashe - The Chase

Spoiler

The Chase is an evolution of Tinashe's pop sensibilities inspired by the synthwave trend in current popular music. 333 was the first era where she briefly dipped her toes in the genre so that is where I got my idea from. Between the only two of Tinashe's songs that was influenced by the trend (with the other being Undo), this follows the genre more closely to the traditional sense. The mid-tempo allows for more concentration on the throbbing retro synths this song contains and the end result is a cinematic feel. Out of her discography, this is her most straightforward synthpop song and standouts sonically when compared to her past moody alternative r&b music.

Tove Lo - Scream My Name

Spoiler

this is a really different side of hers. this is the first song where she embodies a different person that isn’t herself (katniss from the hunger games saga). it’s also her most (and only) existential song where she contemplates death, society and her legacy.

sound wise is darker, more cinematic and less explosive than her other songs!

Troye Sivan - Easy Remix

Spoiler

I decided to choose the Easy Remix cause this was the first time Troye ever remixed one of his songs with another artist and pushed it as a single. I think Troye has always had a very signature sound throughout his albums, he has evolved massively since his first EP but I think that he's always kept the same essence in his music, then Mark Ronson really came through and did what is usually not done in these remix type of situations, which is elevate it to an even better song. I think that this remix, deep down still has that Troye essence, but at the same time it has such a signature Mark Ronson sound which is obviously something so new for Troye that really suited him so well, I think it evokes such a completely different feeling from the original song and I think it really left the fans craving for another Troye/Mark song.

Whitney Houston - My Love Is Your Love

Spoiler

Before this, Whitney has always done soul/pop/R&B songs, this song is super different from everything she had done, being inspired by a reggae sound. It's chill and sexy, compared to her big powerful ballads. Who would've thought a Whitney and Wyclef Jean collab would be this much of a serve??

while you all wait for the judges, here are all the songs for you to have fun with it OR you can just critique these songs too :heart2:

Fcq76Gl.png

for judges' critiques list

SPOTIFY PLAYLIST

Aaliyah - What If

Billie Eilish - Billie Bossa Nova

Charli XCX - Vroom Vroom

Chloe x Halle - Ungodly Hour

Ellie Goulding - Tides

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Intrasport

Miley Cyrus - We Can't Stop

Red Velvet - Zimzalabim

Shakira - Las de la Intuición

Shania Twain - Any Man of Mine

Sufjan Stevens - Impossible Soul

Taylor Swift - cardigan

Tinashe - The Chase

Tove Lo - Scream My Name

Troye Sivan - Easy Remix

Whitney Houston - My Love Is Your Love

@Overprotected @Dessy @Navyofbadgals @Staryu @Kavish

Y’all went overboard with the write ups, we really need the 100 word limit back :kii6:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.