Song Of The Season 4 ? | Winner revealed! (pg. 54)

miguel

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Prisoner

• Rence

• miguel

• Aurora

Top Posters In This Topic

Best of luck to these two amazingly talented finalists <3 i love you both :shy:

Just now, ughgabriel said:

thanks king :shy:

we will now be posting each of our critiques individually, and you can read all of them once results are over!

3 minutes ago, ughgabriel said:

:heart:

tSkXhKD.png

OPENING STATEMENT

Congratulations to both of you! Your songs this season have shown a tremendous amount of variety in terms of themes, writing style, and emotion. I’ve greatly appreciated reading your unique and creative takes on the round concepts we’ve presented. I think you both should be proud of not only adding some great work to your “discography”, but also for taking the time to push yourself even further. Here’s to more experimentation and creativity in future seasons!

@Prisoner @Auburn

PRISONER

Right now I'm driving home from work

Just expanding on what I already said in the thread, your approach to writing this season has been really interesting to me. There’s definitely a soft, cinematic quality to what you have, where I feel like I’m transported into a specific scenario. I think you do a great job of setting the beginning for character “studies”, where a specific character is given a lot of detail and we get insight into their motives, their emotions, etc. 

I would suggest continuing down this path because it’s something you’re already doing well. You can continue to push yourself to really give us in-depth ideas about what each character is up to and what is going on in their head. Having the inner turmoil in this song was a great beginning and going into the future I think you could narrow in on this even more.

Space Pirates

As mentioned, I liked this one even more and a lot of that has to do with the other strong quality I find in your writing - your sense of whimsy. There’s a very fine balance between feeling like something is completely drowned in fantasy and something that has a bit of grounding. I find you have the latter. Your songs have a sense of youthful wonder that gives them an imaginative spark, but there’s almost a “lesson” to be learned, or some kind of substantial message that elevates it further.

Having the alternating/changing chorus is another great strategy that I think you use a lot and effectively. I would suggest playing with structure even more in the future. You have the skill to do it and differing structures would work really well with the whimsical approach you have to songwriting.

~

AUBURN

Winds of Change

Great idea to do an intro like this, I feel like it sets an atmosphere for a prospective album incredibly. Truly the whole time I felt like you were maximizing your use of sensory writing, like I could feel the chill you were going for and the mysterious tone. I definitely find your strongest aspect is the way you write imagery. It can be really easy for something to just feel drowned in imagery where it loses its point as an effective writing tool. Instead you give everything a use, a need to be there, and I appreciate that.

Where I could see this improve is to really dive into the concept. It’s an intriguing one, and I like the symbolism, but I think that we sort of scratched the surface here. I was left with a sensation that you could create something wonderful and relatable that would speak to your concept and become a deeper thoughtful approach. It’s a great read but I think that’s one area to focus on in the future.

Love Song from the Moon

Definitely appreciate how you used space imagery here. Again, imagery is your strong suit and I think you really made effective use of a recurring type of imagery to transform your song. I felt like your chorus had a Mariah Carey vibe going on and I don’t really know why. There was this sort of effortlessness to it that came across beautifully.

Since this was a more structured song (like typical verse/chorus/verse etc) I would say it’s most important to ensure that each section has the ability to stand on their own while also working to create a greater concept. In that sense I would’ve preferred Verse 3 to have more of a “climax” bridge feel to it. 

!!!

PlarJYz.png

My final comments this season. Proud of you all!

--

@Prisoner

First off...the power. Getting into the finale right after winning your previous season. Clearly proving it wasn’t just a fluke! Love that for you.

Now for the songs themselves, your first one feels familiar, like this is somehow related to “One day you’re driving your dad’s old car”, I don’t say that as a bad thing per se, especially since you didn’t really do anything with that style again until now, but rather it served as a reminder of what a unique writer you’ve been to this competition if the only thing I can think of when seeing your writing is you yourself! These character-driven story-telling entries of yours have been among the most intriguing entries I’ve read in my time as a judge or contestant in these games, and it dives into your strengths so I’m not really surprised to see something like this in the finale.

Speaking of familiarity, if your first song reminds me of your R2 entry, your second song reminds me of the one from the week after. However, I’m gonna be honest, I did tear up near the end :( I don’t even consider myself the type to do that with entries from this game but this one somehow did it for me. It was really cute and bittersweet and it shows how versatile you are as well. 

As a whole, I can see the decisions you made for this finale, how you chose to highlight your strengths and continue moving forward as a writer. It’s an incredibly strong final outing for you!

--

@Auburn

Is this your first finale? The way I don’t remember :(! Still, you seem like an obvious person to BE in a finale and you deserve it for sure.

Okay so more about your songs, your first one felt...sensual? I don’t think that’s how it was meant AT ALL but I was reading it like damn this is an inexperienced person being swept away by the allure of an older man who seems to know exactly what he’s doing while sharing as little about himself as possible, but that dark mystery was a bit comforting in a way! The multiple interpretations this could have, we love a piece that makes you think.

Your second song, this is what comes to mind for me when I think of a “finale entry” in these games. It does what it needs to do, and that’s all that you can ask for sometimes. I like your inspiration behind it a lot, actually, and the choice of metaphor to represent your idea was genius in context of the challenge.

In all, I like your finale entries and how they complete your “era” in this season. I felt that, as a writer, I closest identified with you, as in I felt your style of songwriting is similar to how I like to approach writing, and in that sense, I’ve always appreciated an Auburn entry making things easy and enjoyable to go through, and these final pieces only solidify those thoughts for me~

so excited @Auburn :jonnycat: let me go play Cry About It Later for some background music

2 minutes ago, Prisoner said:

so excited @Auburn :jonnycat: let me go play Cry About It Later for some background music

:jonnycat:

and yes @Hugthis is my first finale, the highest I've ever reached in the past was 5th place :jonnycat:

@Auburn@Prisoner

Final thoughts: You’re both extremely talented and I’m so proud that you two have made it this far. I hope you two keep on writing cause I love reading your songs!

Spoiler

No banner this time cause I ran out of budget

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1adtG2rJ2Ykwa99KIAR3q9Dphbw8VwDFJ0YZQn8bFPKM/edit

2 minutes ago, Auburn said:

:jonnycat:

and yes @Hugthis is my first finale, the highest I've ever reached in the past was 5th place :jonnycat:

Jawbreaker ha revenge is here :jonnycat:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.