Song Of The Season 4 ? | Winner revealed! (pg. 54)

miguel

afM0VKE.png

It's that time of the month again, Aurorites! What? No, not that time of the month, time to recap what we have learned so far about Aurora's upcoming sixth studio album, 'Aurenaissance'! So far, we know the record is expected to drop in Q3 of 2021, and will be comprised of two parts: Side A, the 'exocanvas', will consist of songs tackling themes that Aurora has been inspired by throughout 2020-2021 and her newfound independence as an indie act, while Side B, the 'endocanvas', will consist of songs deeply inspired by Aurora's own experiences, worldview, and beliefs.

B1._Aurenaissance_II_Creation.png06._Aurenaissance_Front.png

Following the success of 'exocanvas' singles "2" and "Riverbed (Aspen's Lullaby)", Aurora has returned to the 'endocanvas' side of the album for the first time since the album's lead single ""Satan, Not Today!"" was released back in mid-May. The new single, much like its parent album, is a two-part piece titled, "Aurenaissance II • Creation". The first part of the song is a spoken intro for the 'endocanvas' side of 'Aurenaissance', while "Creation" channels the Renaissance to ask, "Why?". Buy and stream the new single on all platforms today.

Spoiler

Aurenaissance II • Creation

Aurenaissance II (spoken)
Imagine a limitless plane of existence
An endless ocean of untapped emotion
Perpetually floating the fabric of time

Disturbed by a ripple of transient energy
A most insignificant glitch in the matrix
Enough to enlighten omniscient minds

The recesses forming a blank endocanvas
Impervious to its external surroundings
Susceptible only to self-sabotage

Each vision a brushstroke imperfectly layered
Each memory contours a permanent backdrop
Each lesson developing life’s work of art

As negative thoughts warp the canvas’ texture
And tears once suppressed trickle down unexpected
With craftsmanship of an aquarelle savant

Imagine a limitless plane of existence
And endless ocean of untapped emotion
The birthplace and curse of the Aurenaissance

Creation
first verse

What is the meaning of life, and why do I strive to discern?
Perusing the pages of history in awe of its mystery to be learned
Where is our place in this story, or has it not even begun?
Wasting our tapestry’s fabric on tragedies destined to come undone

first pre-chorus
Every monumental epoch had its ordinary days
Every consequential era sculpted by the hands that raised

first chorus
If I could relive the Renaissance
Embraced by the arms of antiquity
I wouldn’t seek out Michelangelo
Or evolve Aristotle’s philosophy
I’d paint with the commonfolk’s palette
Blending truth with imagination
Commissioned to find the mission of my creation

middle eight
Libraries, museum halls, and galleries galore
A window to our past reflects what future lies in store
Instead we’ll memorize the dates of data long before
Distort their dreams on filtered screens, their meaning now ignored
Each artwork had a message representing something more
A popular attraction now aesthetically adored
Their beauty utilized to help convey the world they sought
Now lost in the translation by an age devoid of thought

second verse
When did ambition subside, and how was such passion erased?
Bleeding outside of the lines for effect now detected as a mistake
Who writes the narrative now, is one being written at all?
No blueprints to follow just blue pills to swallow and backs against the wall

second pre-chorus
Every detrimental dark age had its own discoveries
Every incidental inquiry ripples throughout history

second chorus
Now I have relived the Renaissance
Embraced by the arms of antiquity
Observed through the eyes of Leonardo
Acquired the drive of the Medicis
I’ll paint with the commonfolk’s palette
Bringing purpose to manifestation
Commissioned to find the mission of my creation

outro
“What?” is the meaning of life…

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Prisoner

• Rence

• miguel

• Aurora

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rence said:

well 

what

13 hours ago, Prisoner said:

what

2 hours ago, Rence said:

who

yes this was the point of my song thanks for reading x

PlarJYz.png

Round 4: A Look Into The Past reviews~

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16dH0MPLvxEQU8XpsJY7wfPiqOBU3DJDFSv_DWEC6VMs/edit?usp=sharing

@Jackson @Dessy @Prisoner @Drifloon@Aurora @8thPrince

So I'll break the silence here and say the reason it's been static from us is because we...don't really know where to go from here. With only 6 entries, if we eliminate everyone that didn't submit, that significantly shortens the season, but if we decide this round "didn't count"...that spits in the face of everyone that sent. We've been discussing it, but input (especially from those who submitted) would be appreciated. Thank you to everyone who DID submit this week, a very strong round as usual!

thank you for the feedback @Hug :heart: [sidenote: I'm kinda shook at you being in the 9th grade when stars dance came out, I think I was also the same or maybe the 10th grade idk, but you are a lot younger than I assumed you were. I've always imagined you as a man in his 30s :dies:]

I'll say I'm okay with both options you presented. On the one hand, it's fun to have a shorter, less stressful season sometimes. But then, I also do think it'd be too much to just eliminate every one who didn't submit since there's quite a few of them, and there's a big chance that some of them just simply forgot instead of deciding to quit. Maybe if we know if they would want to continue playing, then we could treat this as a 'safe' round kind of thing without any eliminations? I'm okay with whatever route you guys want to take though

6 minutes ago, Prisoner said:

thank you for the feedback @Hug :heart: [sidenote: I'm kinda shook at you being in the 9th grade when stars dance came out, I think I was also the same or maybe the 10th grade idk, but you are a lot younger than I assumed you were. I've always imagined you as a man in his 30s :dies:]

I'll say I'm okay with both options you presented. On the one hand, it's fun to have a shorter, less stressful season sometimes. But then, I also do think it'd be too much to just eliminate every one who didn't submit since there's quite a few of them, and there's a big chance that some of them just simply forgot instead of deciding to quit. Maybe if we know if they would want to continue playing, then we could treat this as a 'safe' round kind of thing without any eliminations? I'm okay with whatever route you guys want to take though

Wait now that I think of it, I was in 11th :skull: but either way I am 25! (26 soon™) Idk where MY head was at. Me serving sagacious though! (or just fossil idk)

Also appreciate your feedback <3

2 minutes ago, Hug said:

Wait now that I think of it, I was in 11th :skull: but either way I am 25! (26 soon™) Idk where MY head was at. Me serving sagacious though! (or just fossil idk)

well that makes more sense. You've been here a long time and I was lowkey horrified at the thought of you possibly being a pre teen when you first signed up on this messy forum :gaycat6:

Thanks for the reviews and update Hug!

tbh I’d want to hear the views and circumstances of those who DIDNT submit before sharing my thoughts on what I’d like to see

thanks for the review and update @Hug! i was trying to write in a way that would make the narrator feel powerful and godlike, but in a way that the reader would perceive him as sort of a villain. so im glad that (kinda) came across. 

im just here to have fun writing songs and grow from the critiques, so id still love to have a full season. i also think it could potentially be beneficial to just not have eliminations and have the winner be the player with the highest average (kinda like PH2 or 10.5) after 10 or so rounds, with nonsubmits treated as last place. but like 8th said, it would be helpful to hear from those that didn’t submit to know whether they want to proceed or are done playing

tSkXhKD.png

@Jackson @Dessy @Prisoner @Drifloon@Aurora @8thPrince

I've definitely been giving effort and care a lot about the songs that have been sent by each and every one of you.

Thank you for sending. I appreciate the thoughts from those of you who are in the game and continue to send. 

As long as there are entries I will be providing feedback, thoughts, and perspectives.

I look forward to your songs each week and the creativity you all bring.

Spoiler

Gilded: 

I really like your use of inspiration. Having the song progress from “luxury” imagery into the stark reality of it all disappearing is really effective. You ended up making the song feel more catchy and “song-like” with the chorus too which I appreciate. The descriptive imagery and word choice is definitely my favourite aspect. You’ve shown that before but for this song it really just clicks and makes your theme more effective. It wasn’t quite as emotionally impactful as other songs of yours but I still really enjoyed reading it! Felt a bit like a passage from a fiction novel set in the time period.

Drive to the Moon

There was a (future) nostalgic feel to this song that I liked. It was very dreamy and felt a bit retro (even though I’m just reading it). I actually really liked your chorus. It was tight and felt very pop-ready. However, the verses were somewhat middling/inconsistent. I would’ve liked them to have a better flow or connection to each other. At times it just felt like a lot of jumbled ideas. Having a central narrative or focusing on the characters that would be going on this voyage would make it clearer to follow.

A Sea of Daffodils

This was really really well executed. I fell deeply into this story and loved the somewhat whimsical way you approached it. The way the narrator seems to drift between these beautiful landscapes while contrasted with very tragic circumstances is really interesting to read. I don’t have any issues here, this feels like your most thought-provoking entry yet!

Discotheque

Imagery wise this feels like it jumps out of the era you’re going for. I get a very dance pop disco diva vibe from this so in that regard you nailed it. This feels like your most focused entry yet honestly. The intent is really clear and I would say you executed it well. I can vividly see how this would come across if recorded.

Aurenaissance II

This was an interesting idea. I’m always impressed by how you take the round and flip it into your own perspective. The grand feeling of this actually works really well to achieve that. The personal touch you brought to this song helps capture a brilliant mood. I’m not lost in the mix or anything, I really get where you’re coming from and the thoughtful considerations you made towards art as a concept. 

Fugitive’s Arcade

I definitely like this. It has a lot of 8th-isms that we’ve clearly been mentioning in past rounds. Your knack for capturing small details and making them meaningful without making it too wordy and filled with filler is admirable. I once again felt the vividness of your songwriting with basically every section of the song - every word feels meaningful. In some ways this might have been a bit detrimental. While I understand the need to incorporate enough elements of the time period you wanted to portray, it admittedly took me out of the song a few times. I like the way you typically show rather than tell when you write, but I lost a bit of that emotional impact today.

5 hours ago, Prisoner said:

This is my line of thinking. I almost forgot to send myself cause there was a busy long weekend for me before the deadline. :rip:

But yeah hearing from the rest who didn't send would be ideal. Then y'all can go about it however you'd think it would be best. 

Thank you judges for the feedback! <3

4 hours ago, fountain said:

I don’t think people forgot to submit. I’m not really surprised, because this season is embodying indifference. It seems very few people want to be a part of this, and not only the contestants, so I don’t know where the shock in this would be. 

I’m probably going to sound harsh, but for the sake of being frank, in my experience, when the same issues arised as last season I knew it was time to jump ship. The contestants deserve the same back that they give, and if they aren’t getting it then what is the purpose in this. I’m not getting invested again and putting effort into something that is effectively pointless, and going nowhere. Who is this serving, really? Is this being hosted and judged to actually help people and continue a songwriting community here, or is it happening just… because :michael: not a personal dig at anybody, but I truly wonder. 

This all will probably garner a few eye rolls, “you’re doing great jobs, thank you!” posts, but you don’t get so many non submissions without very clear issue. Everyone is appreciative of the time and effort that goes into hosting and judging a season, but I’m sure they would be even more appreciative of a season that is genuinely enjoyable. 

No need in dragging this out any longer than it needs to and already has been. So, better luck next time, under different circumstances, I feel.

I'm not sure what more you want than critiques and results. I'd say the feedback is the return to what we "give." At the end of the day it's a cute, small competition on an internet forum and it's not that serious, it's not a professional songwriting camp. This season is no more "pointless" than any other season where the same stuff happens, and that includes Platinum Hit.

I don't really like telling people to end their own game because *you* feel indifferent. And besides, if there's only 6 people left why not just finish. But that's my opinion.

Thank you for the feedback, Hug and minho. :heart:

While I too would like to hear any thoughts from those who didn't submit, my current stance would be in favour of seeing the continuation of the season as usual, extending a comeback opportunity to anyone who did not submit this week should they be interested, and carrying on from there. It may make for a shorter season but there's no guarantee a switch to a set 10-round, non-elimination format midseason would do any differently other than extend the process and bring a ton of averages down unreasonably.

As those who have been keeping up with the thread or I have been communicating in private will know, I have been doing whatever I can as a contestant to hopefully breed activity and liveliness into the thread, and I know first-hand that hosting and/or judging isn't always a picnic. While sometimes unfavourable, the extended deadlines and such haven't really been a complete deterrent for me; this past challenge I was so busy irl I didn't end up beginning my song until the last 48 hours.

In order to not sound hypocritical, I think constructive criticism is instrumental in this tournament, and having read most contestants' reviews (I do this in order to see what certain judges enjoy from others' songs to perhaps take note and help expand on my own ideas occasionally), I feel like the overall reception has been almost overwhelmingly positive to a fault. Perhaps mentioning even just one key aspect that could have been elevated or a challenge to overcome in the future would be nice and provide some direction, rather than (in the case of myself and many others) many critiques indicating everything was perfect and nothing needed to be changed and to keep doing what we're doing only to consistently rank below many others in the tournament. Just to clarify, a subpar rank is never the issue, but explaining why would be ideal.

I did not submit this round due it being during the final 2 weeks of my semester and I simply had too much work to do to focus on writing a full song. I tried to write something but only ended up with one verse so I decided that I will attempt the comeback next round now that I'm (basically) finished :party: and will have more time to dedicate to this.

15 minutes ago, Gastrodonatella said:

anyways i feel like it's a bit self aggrandizing to assume that very few people are interested just because you aren't and have a chip on your shoulder - submitting anonymously even though everyone knows it's you doesn't make you above the game or anyone else, and you've devoted a lot of effort towards sending in submissions in between your unsubtly negative thread posts for a game you find so "pointless" :mrpeanut:

tumblr_o4t188FGPY1ttma2yo1_250.gif

:gaygacat9:

it is too hard to come up with a round theme that everyone likes.

it is too hard to accommodate everyone's tastes, especially when certain people are only going to be happy when its entirely on their terms and are willing to write off entire judges or seasons based on who is involved.

the aim of this game is to give prompts that you are encouraged to interpret in your own way.

in the past if you didn't like a round you could either do your best knowing that another theme will come you might prefer, or you can not submit. do what you think is best but it's probably better to approach a writing game with the mindset that you want to push yourself even when given a prompt you aren't 100% sold on.

if you don't like the game aspects of this you can make your own writing club. you can write on your own and send it to friends for feedback. 

we should not be having the same countless discussion with paragraphs and paragraphs because some people think they are above certain elements of this game. do what you want, its a competition with no prize on an Internet forum anyway.

last point (I didn't want to make a big point sorry LKDSFJL): I appreciate those of you who did send and are interested in just having fun, writing songs, getting feedback etc!  That's what this should be about anyway :heart2:

i don't think there's anything wrong with raising concerns, and i hope everyone can have a constructive conversation rather than taking things personally. i think the judges have done a great job this season, but feedback was asked for on the last page, and i don't think anyone deserves to be attacked for sharing their perspective whether i agree with it or not. i think most of us have discussed respectfully, but let's all stay friends :gaycatney2:

also, in regards to the original question now that others have posted: i really wouldn't be offended if this round is a non-elimination. i'd rather stick around longer to be able to write more songs and adding an elimination on top of the non-submits would just end the game even faster

@minho thank you for the feedback. This was me going back into my comfort zone after a few rounds of pushing myself to go into other directions. so seeing you say it's well executed really means a lot, thank you :weeps:

@funnellegs thanks for the review as well. I'm glad it resonated :jonny2: And I absolutely agree about your view on the 2nd last section, I had such a hard time writing that one and I still don't think it's the best it could be yet either, so points noted :celestial5:

Edited by Prisoner

0cOcVdbS_crZxlxdz7J-CN57Q83cloVqqScvjSneGPZ7QVmNjj5aH7XS_kVUKVyBFXuwc2egdPMEIbwmbhfgMEweCOarU5aZnS7oaebnU3AS5VV7cFm5z8Q4-Pa6WEX_Dchdk89B

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XAmVTRMruCkGlmgw48F25-8oSv2jZ8CKSOVwq040zg0/edit?usp=sharing

@Jackson @Dessy @Prisoner @Drifloon @Aurora @8thPrince

I might sound harsher than usual in some of the reviews but I can assure you that I still enjoyed all entries and thought they are good.

This might be my favorite round so far, with the previous round being the weakest for me :gaycat6:

I understand that others weren't able to submit for this round due to their own personal reasons. Those reasons might be something that you couldn't just ignore just to write a song for this game, and I understand cause I've been there. During the last few rounds of SOTS3 I struggled to submit my songs (some of them were even late) because I had reasons outside this game that I didn't feel the need to disclose. Players not submitting due to personal reasons is not something that we can control either. So I hope you guys take your time and prioritize your own stuff because there is always the comeback for you next round. If not, then you can always return for the next game or season.

Also, I appreciate the remaining players who were able to write and submit for this round. Your songs are what make this game complete. I love reading your songs, and I'll continue to write reviews for you until the season is over.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.