Song Of The Season 4 ? | Winner revealed! (pg. 54)

miguel

4 minutes ago, 8thPrince said:

Pegasus Marine

Reveal hidden contents

[VERSE 1]

Where the waves catch the light

Is where fantasy starts

But you never believe in things your eyes fail to see

Like a view of the world

From a kid diving to the pool floor

Squeezing his eyes tight, scared of the sting of the chlorine

[PRECHORUS]

But if he raised his head up

Wouldn’t that pool’s surface

Be a baby blue sky, marbled with glittering light?

[CHORUS]

The light that glares off the cement,

That bright mirage at the highway’s end;

Let’s chase that wave one skyline ahead

White clouds from boats of fishermen;

A legendary ocean’s waiting there,

Just past the horizon

[VERSE 2]

Think I figured it out

A riddle pulled from the deep:

When the waters are still, are they a mirror or window?

If the angle is wrong,

You can only see your reflection

And you’ll start to ignore the reefs that line the world below

[PRECHORUS]

So in the morning traffic

As the cars are passing

Close your eyes so you can hear the roar of the sea

[CHORUS]

I’ve heard of fish off the coastline

That take the blue out the spotless sky

And dye it the same shade as the sea

A pegasus of the marine

Blends fantasy and reality:

Life’s more special than it seems

[CHORUS]

The light that glares off the cement,

That bright mirage at the highway’s end;

Let’s chase that wave one skyline ahead

White clouds from boats of fishermen;

A legendary ocean’s waiting there,

Just past the horizon

Right up ahead, I know a place

That mixes our ordinary days 

With colors we could only dream

A pegasus of the marine

Blends fantasy and reality:

Life’s more special than it seems

If you know where to look for it

Life’s more special than you think

Well I already know you had the serve with the lyrics but I'm gonna stream this now and give my praise thoughts whether you want it or not!

EDIT: Nah this is a HUGE serve. I wasn't expecting this upbeat banger, but I could imagine Dreamcatcher on this kind of production (and they're my fave GG it's high praise!) I love that it's both cutesy but also hard-hitting ?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Prisoner

• Rence

• miguel

• Aurora

Top Posters In This Topic

I love that production so much... its giving me anime OST meets video game meets pop rock revival all at once and it definitely captures the adventurous feel of your lyrics!!

Thank you everyone for all the kind words!!! Top 2!!!! :eek:

I feel like I want to share my song since everyone is but I also feel like it's nowhere near as poetic as the others I've seen and I'm kinda embarrassed :rip:

1 minute ago, CountryBritney said:

Thank you everyone for all the kind words!!! Top 2!!!! :eek:

I feel like I want to share my song since everyone is but I also feel like it's nowhere near as poetic as the others I've seen and I'm kinda embarrassed :rip:

Well definitely don't feel like you're compelled to share but I promise we enjoy a good fun song as much as a deep poetic one (also I still stand by your line about going to hell to give the person flowers being POETIC!)

Thank you @Hug:hughard:

I might as well. It was a lot of fun to write after all ? 

Spoiler

MISERY NEVER GOES OUT OF STYLE 

Winter nights, velvet skirts and neon souls, 
Laughing in a taxi to the city,
Starry eyes, getting lost within this dream, 
Fingers interlocked, so discreetly

Though the masks they fell when the facades showed, 
I’m still here for curtain close, 
Proof that misery never goes out of style

There’s three sides to this heartache, 
But I’m the one who’s scarred
Cause you never did stop playing 
With my naive heart
Does he wrap his arms around you, 
And does it ever fill that void?
Cause I’d bet that you’re still missing,
My cold, dead, naive heart. 

Stolen stares, as his lips caress your neck, 
Envy circles all around me, 
Pull away, darkened eyes fall down to yours
Glitter stains your skin from teardrops

Though the masks they fell when the facades showed, 
Still can’t believe he’s the one you chose,
Proof that misery never goes out of style

With my naive heart
Cause I’d bet you you’re still missing,
My cold, dead, naive heart. 

Maybe I have a death wish
Or maybe it’s for you
Maybe I want you dead and gone, 
Maybe that’s the truth
Oh who am I kidding?
I’d still storm right up to the gates of hell,
Just to bring you flowers

With my naive heart
Cause I’d bet you you’re still missing, 
My cold, dead, naive heart

With my naive heart
Cause I’d bet you you’re still missing, 
My cold, bloody naive heart

I might as well share the Soundcloud for it too. I can't sing for s☆☆☆ but I just had fun with it ? No production or anything just a warning ?

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/DBB2d

Oh my, results already! Congratulations to everyone, it's always nice to have a non-elimination debut round, especially since it seems everyone upheld such a high standard.

I feel pretty lucky to have scored a Top 10, I did have some constructive feedback and plenty of others were all praise! :eek: I look forward to reading those songs in a bit. Huge congratulations to 8thPrince who I know from the past always serves excellence and I'm so excited to listen to your production too. :jamming:

My demo still isn't ready (I've been prioritising other things, oops), but I'll probably post the lyrics before the next round goes up if anyone wants to see what a #7 looks like. :fan:

2 hours ago, Gastrodonatella said:

is she picking names from hats or is it mathematical? YOU decide!

jonginbey was actually anonymous and places third for a surprise top 3 start to the season

tumblr_inline_ob3mozFgKB1tyu7tl_500.gif

A moment most pleasing to my career.

tumblr_inline_ob3mozFgKB1tyu7tl_500.gif

32 minutes ago, ProPopGirlStan said:

Yeah, I’m just going to eliminate myself at this point. Good luck everyone!

2 hours ago, Aurora said:

I mean, pouring your heart out in something personal that happened, having it critiqued and being in last place, feels really shi*ty and not being eliminated as a “consolation prize” because other people didn’t submit on time doesn’t feel good either. This just isn’t for me :swan:

Edited by ProPopGirlStan

afM0VKE.png

Welcome back to the blog Aurorites. We have some very exciting news - our first chart update of the year! That's right, Aurora Charts is actually covering the information we set out to provide since our establishment in 2019. Isn't that exciting? Australian singer, songwriter, rapper, and producer Aurora released her comeback single ""Satan, Not Today!"" earlier in the week, in promotion of her upcoming sixth studio album 'Aurenaissance', expected to drop in the Spring 2021 (Fall 2021 for northern Aurorites!) season. The track was met with favourable reviews from critics, who praised its lyrical composition and content.

""Satan, Not Today!"" debuted at #7 on the official SOTS Charts, facing strong competition from other pop icons such as Prince VIIIBritney C, and Hurricane 326, who held the Top 3 spots with their acclaimed hits "Pegasus Marine", "MISERY NEVER GOES OUT OF STYLE", and "One Last Night" respectively.

Aurora took to Instagram to express her gratitude with her caption, "We're #7! ? My first Top 10 single without a major label. When I left, people said I'd never see this success again. Aurorites proved them wrong. ❤️?" The positive post received over 1 million likes within its first hour of posting, however not everyone was as happy about the news. "prince viii outsold! satan not today? more like satan flopped today sksksks", one stan from a rival fanbase commented, but Aurora hit back with kindness, "Prince VIII and I have grown up in the industry together, Prince VIII is my friend and is truly a kind soul. End of story." When one Aurorite commented, "so is this the lead or palette cleanser ???", Aurora simply responded, "Lead. ❤️?"

If you haven't already, check out the lyrics for Aurora's latest Top 10 hit single, ""Satan, Not Today!"" below:

01._22Satan_Not_Today22.png

Spoiler

“Satan, Not Today!”

first verse

Not yesterday my soul was almost taken

A wreckage on the road to hell forsaken

I didn’t hope this life would change

Or wish I’d closed both eyes and prayed

I took control, became my own salvation

first pre-chorus

At the river Styx of life and death

My lips resist their final breath

As visions glint inside a reckless mind

first chorus

I might have lived a life that didn’t last

Enlightening the plights within my past

The best decisions rest on splintered glass

Like runes of truth protruding from the path

Fair-weather friends in flames will flock away

While feathered friends warn, “Satan, not today!”

second verse

Not yesteryear my power almost shattered

An ember burning out to cinders scattered

I knew those chapters had to close

Then through the ashes I arose

I played with matches, chose what really mattered

second pre-chorus

At the devil’s fork of dirt and danger

Never saw the third path’s wager

Went to war with worthless waves of words

second chorus

I can’t have flown this far to slowly fall

Embarked toward the starlight’s warmth to stall

I wish I’d known the risk of growing tall

Like vines of ivy winding up the walls

But barricades ablaze won’t block the way

With flare declare it, “Satan, not today!”

bridge

If I could find the last me from a past life

I’d gaze for constellations after twilight

Retracing every shape of each mistake

An astrographic map to navigate

If nights ignite the restless in the next life

Throughout another galaxy or timeline

I’ll burn to let them learn I’m not afraid

My supernova showmanship displayed

third chorus

I might have lived a life that didn’t last

I can’t have flown this far to slowly fall

Enlightening the plights within my past

Embarked toward the starlight’s warmth to stall

The best decisions rest on splintered glass

I wish I’d known the risk of growing tall

Like runes of truth protruding from the path

Like vines of ivy winding up the walls

Fair-weather friends in flames will flock away

While feathered friends warn, “Satan, not today!”

But barricades ablaze won’t block the way

With flare declare it, “Satan, not today!”

outro

At the interchange of dawn and daybreak

Winter’s rays befall my namesake

In the phase of morning I’m reborn

In the face of mourning I’m reborn

7 minutes ago, ProPopGirlStan said:

I mean, pouring your heart out in something personal that happened, having it critiqued and being in last place, feels really shi*ty and not being eliminated as a “consolation prize” because other people didn’t submit on time doesn’t feel good either. This just isn’t for me :swan:

Yeah, I totally get that. Many others have experienced that feeling, myself included, in the past, particularly when personal songs aren't received as well as perhaps hoped. I know it might not seem it but as someone who has seen quite a few of these tournaments, if the judges say the round is really strong, they genuinely mean it. Sometimes judges have even mentioned if they thought everyone was having a particularly tough week. :skull:

Ultimately the choice is yours, but if you see the next challenge whenever it's posted and change your mind or inspiration strikes, my inbox is always open if you're interested in a second opinion before sending it off for judge feedback and ranking. :heart: (This goes for anyone tbh, I'm down if you are :matty:)

YGiW3sv.png

Round 2: The Colors of the Universe

Use of colour, shade, and tone, can often influence or capture particular moods or settings in a song.  For this round, your aim is to choose a specific colour of your choice and incorporate it into your song in such a way that your song feels like that particular colour.  As subjective as that might sound there are a number of ways that colours can have a presence in your writing.

The first, and most obvious way is to include colour specific imagery.  This could be literal (colour is golden yellow, so you include sun imagery), or it could be something culturally specific or symbolic (colour is golden yellow, so your song takes place at sunset/during golden hour).  In both cases having this form of imagery sets a tone for your song and informs the reader of the mood, the emotion, and in some cases the narrative. However, imagery isn't the only way to approach this.  You could think about symbolic associations with your colour and revolve your song around that.  For example, if you chose red, you might make your song about romance or lust, culturally associated with the colour, and not have your song as imagery heavy.  It may still portray your colour - or at least that's the challenge!

How you choose to write your song is of course up to you as always.  However we do want to ensure one colour is dominant throughout your song and that the overall piece feels like that particularcolour.  Here's a few pointers or ideas the judges thought of:

1. While not a set rule, you might want to avoid overusing the name of your colour.  For example, instead of saying "green grass, green leaves, green trees", let the grass, leaves, and trees speak for themselves.  Including them/lush imagery will portray your colour without hammering it in.

2. Also not a set rule, but something to think about is avoiding cliche associations. Blue = sad is common, but what if you subverted this into blue = calm, happy, at peace?

Deadline is on May 26th, at 11:59 p.m. So 8 days. However, if you need more time, feel free to ask beforehand and I'll allow an extension!

Please submit your song here!

Just now, miguel said:

YGiW3sv.png

Round 2: The Colors of the Universe

Use of colour, shade, and tone, can often influence or capture particular moods or settings in a song.  For this round, your aim is to choose a specific colour of your choice and incorporate it into your song in such a way that your song feels like that particular colour.  As subjective as that might sound there are a number of ways that colours can have a presence in your writing.

The first, and most obvious way is to include colour specific imagery.  This could be literal (colour is golden yellow, so you include sun imagery), or it could be something culturally specific or symbolic (colour is golden yellow, so your song takes place at sunset/during golden hour).  In both cases having this form of imagery sets a tone for your song and informs the reader of the mood, the emotion, and in some cases the narrative. However, imagery isn't the only way to approach this.  You could think about symbolic associations with your colour and revolve your song around that.  For example, if you chose red, you might make your song about romance or lust, culturally associated with the colour, and not have your song as imagery heavy.  It may still portray your colour - or at least that's the challenge!

How you choose to write your song is of course up to you as always.  However we do want to ensure one colour is dominant throughout your song and that the overall piece feels like that particularcolour.  Here's a few pointers or ideas the judges thought of:

1. While not a set rule, you might want to avoid overusing the name of your colour.  For example, instead of saying "green grass, green leaves, green trees", let the grass, leaves, and trees speak for themselves.  Including them/lush imagery will portray your colour without hammering it in.

2. Also not a set rule, but something to think about is avoiding cliche associations. Blue = sad is common, but what if you subverted this into blue = calm, happy, at peace?

Deadline is on May 26th, at 11:59 p.m. So 8 days. However, if you need more time, feel free to ask beforehand and I'll allow an extension!

oops forgot the tag sorry!

31 minutes ago, Gastrodonatella said:

i WILL say though that placing 17th out of 17th isn't nearly as bad as you think it is when you consider the fact that a winner of a previous season who got praised from all 4 judges for their entry was still 16th out of 17th just one slot ahead of you! it was a stacked round and in past iterations of the game there are often a greater number of round 1 entries (think anywhere in the range of 20-40+), so 17th wouldn't even be considered low in many cases - 17 would've been in the top half of the pack of the season i hosted, actually

the SHADE. tbh i'm lowkey embarrassed at my ranking but i think the reviews say more about a song than rankings, and quitting at this point gives no satisfaction when coming back and submitting next round will. my first season playing i completely flopped the first round as well but got a #1 the next round, so to the player contemplating quitting, i'd definitely advise sticking around at least one more round to see what happens

I think its a tough decision, and a personal decision so I won't try to influence you because you know what is best for you, but without any doubt in my mind I can say your placement is only one part of everything.  The idea behind SOTS is more to share your songs, your ideas, your concepts, and get feedback or thoughts on them. What happens one week can change completely the next, there's no telling how it will connect with someone. That means our thoughts are never a question of your skill or what you've done, because, wholeheartedly, we enjoyed every song this week.

Like I don't know how else to put it, I genuinely LOVED reading every single song this week because they were all so unique and varied, with brilliant ideas I wouldn't even have thought of! I'd say keep going, or, if you feel like the competition aspect isn't quite a good fit, you can still write along to the themes and avoid the results portion of the game, just looking for feedback or thoughts.  Whichever decision you choose is of course up to you but I wanted to share my perspective and hope that these are a bit more reassuring words.

also wow a new round!  I'm very excited about this one, and I think its a very inspiring one :minho: 

Ooh another inspiration challenge. :heart: Love these because they're so versatile and it never feels as if they're working against you.

I will take some time to think of which colour I would like to embody, but I already know it probably will not be red or orange given my previous offering.

I was trying to decide what colour I would choose for myself and I'm kind of torn :jonny2: I was inspired by bioluminescence the other day, so I guess I would try that route myself (with a specific colour).  I'll probably attempt a song with this round too but we'll see :hi:

I think I might have a concept already..... but I’m gonna probably look at like a color wheel and generate a few more like how I did with the constellations last round

not a color challenge, lemme just resend red blue light and take my #15 :emofish:

I think I have a concept. :cupid: I think I have a title too, but it might be a bit much. Hmm.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.