Will touring ever be the same?

ibreathepop

I wonder if huge artists like Taylor Swift, Justin, Beyoncé or Ariana will ever go back to doing huge tours. I’m talking 50+ or even 100+ tour dates. I feel like artists hated these gigantic tours after a while and often struggled mentally and physically.

now that COVID has created a world where artists literally don’t have to tour at all, do you think think tour dates will be a bit more limited? Or are artists and their teams so greedy that they will go back to squeezing the artists until they’re lifeless zombies like in the past? 

whos most likely to go back to HUGE tours? And who will take care of themselves? 

Marshal_ac

That Bad bunny tour proved that if there is demand, artists can make as much money as before the pandemic 

Probably, it's how artists make the majority of their money and people are eager to see live music again. 

schnetzka

As much as artists complain how exhausting tours can be, they're often the things fans look most forward to and are willing to pay money for. And a lot of artists like that aspect of it.

Marshal_ac
3 minutes ago, schnetzka said:

As much as artists complain how exhausting tours can be, they're often the things fans look most forward to and are willing to pay money for. And a lot of artists like that aspect of it.

Yeah I can’t imagine stabbing someone who doesn’t like touring. Mariah is notorious for not touring during her peak, but recently she was doing more shows. 

I like that Madonna has toured with every album since 2001.

Gui Blackout

I don't get why you're talking about touring like it's slave work, it's one of the fundamentals of being a singer.

Anyway touring is the only way artists can really money so yes they'll absolutely be back on as soon as possible. 2022 will packed with tours and festivals (in the US and Europe at least)

igninton
30 minutes ago, ibreathepop said:

now that COVID has created a world where artists literally don’t have to tour at all, do you think think tour dates will be a bit more limited? Or are artists and their teams so greedy that they will go back to squeezing the artists until they’re lifeless zombies like in the past? 

Errmm, not everyone can be Taylor Swift, put up a PR stunt about songs you rightfully and legally sold just so you can re-record them and make more money off them, mid-small artists depend SOLELY on touring income.

• #FreeBritney Activist
idkwiam
15 minutes ago, igninton said:

Errmm, not everyone can be Taylor Swift, put up a PR stunt about songs you rightfully and legally sold just so you can re-record them and make more money off them, mid-small artists depend SOLELY on touring income.

:deadbanana2: A new album would make Taylor have more profits than a re-recorded album.

I hope you know that.:giraffe:

Artistofthedecade
32 minutes ago, igninton said:

She didn't sell them. She wanted to buy them but they didn't let her buy them. 

Either way, i don't see how this is related to topic. 

If those small artists can't even make money from brand new music, how will they make some from old albums of theirs? 

If Taylor wanted to make money that much, she could put new albums with that much effort and money. 

OT : It will be. Touring income is biggest income for artists. 

Also putting out 2 hours show don't make anybody lifeless zombies. People work 9-5 or more. Some artists with dedication even put 250 dates tours, let alone 50-100 dates. They make MILLIONS in 2 hours. 

Ricardo1993

Pop girls that complain about how grueling the touring life is would never survive in a daily 9 - 5 job. Some of them used to work 9 - 5 jobs before their come up but once you become rich, you lose a sense of reality hence why many of them are tone deaf. I do sympathize with Gaga since she has fibromyalgia but other pop girls should be grateful their in perfect health and have enough money to spread through multiple generations of their bloodline.

Edited by Ricardo1993
Katy V.!
12 minutes ago, Ricardo1993 said:

Pop girls that complain about how grueling the touring life is would never survive in a daily 9 - 5 job. Some of them used to work 9 - 5 jobs before their come up but once you become rich, you lose a sense of reality hence why many of them are tone deaf. I do sympathize with Gaga since she has fibromyalgia but other pop girls should be grateful their in perfect health and have enough money to spread through multiple generations of their bloodline.

This.

At most I could understand the physical exhaustion from +250 shows a year on a Beyoncé-like show but there aren't many performers on that level (and even less that can sell +250 dates :rip: )

Touring will be the same post-COVID. However, huge acts like Taylor, Bey, Gaga, Justin and others that do stadiums and sold out shows. Its best they do under 80 shows. Extensive tours become too much mentally and physically.

ibreathepop
1 hour ago, Gui Blackout said:

I don't get why you're talking about touring like it's slave work, it's one of the fundamentals of being a singer.

Anyway touring is the only way artists can really money so yes they'll absolutely be back on as soon as possible. 2022 will packed with tours and festivals (in the US and Europe at least)

I understand that touring is essential to generate good income. I’m talking about tours so long that the artist can’t wait for it to end. Britney hated her tours after a while. MJ hated it. JB seemed to have mental breakdowns on stage.

I feel bad seeing my fave doing this kind of exhausting and repetitive labour while having to pretend they’re so happy to be in town XY.

i wish artist would limit their touring to an extent that they can really take.  

perpetual novice
54 minutes ago, Ricardo1993 said:

It's not just the time on stage :deadbanana: you switch between different timezones sometimes every night, have to travel between cities, etc, the time for sleep and refreshing your brain and just living normal life is absent for the entire time you're on tour, your entire existence for that time is hopping on buses/planes/going on stage, it's not hard to see how it would actually be more mentally and physically exhausting than a typical 9-5.

But to the OP, covid has not created a world where musicians don't have to tour, this is artist's main revenue stream and the loss of it has actually been very difficult across the board. I imagine most can't wait for it to return. 

moonlitdick
1 hour ago, igninton said:

:hoetenks:

Popboi.

Yes, once it's actually possible to tour though. With COVID still around the logistics are going to be a nightmare, keeping the audience "save" by spreading out seats and what not is the easy part, but they have to keep the stage construction and transport crew, venue staff, artists, dancers, band, wardrobe staff and so on COVID free too :rip: 

16 minutes ago, perpetual novice said:

It's not just the time on stage :deadbanana: you switch between different timezones sometimes every night, have to travel between cities, etc, the time for sleep and refreshing your brain and just living normal life is absent for the entire time you're on tour, your entire existence for that time is hopping on buses/planes/going on stage, it's not hard to see how it would actually be more mentally and physically exhausting than a typical 9-5.

But to the OP, covid has not created a world where musicians don't have to tour, this is artist's main revenue stream and the loss of it has actually been very difficult across the board. I imagine most can't wait for it to return. 

Also the time to rehearse, auditions for the tour, soundchecks, doing promo on the side, the stress of ever possibly be ill and risk thousands of dollar per day cause of that, voice rest. If it didn't bring good money no one would do it :rip: 

I think it will come back in full force, if anything more money will be made than ever due to pent up demand. I’d go see any pop girl live at this point :rip: Even bigger artists who aren’t hurting for money themselves, they typically have big teams (both business and creative/performing) that they have worked with for years and they are likely eager to start touring/working again. 

People saying here touring is harder than working 9-5 with kids and having little financial flexibility :deadbanana2:

8 minutes ago, XAMJ said:

People saying here touring is harder than working 9-5 with kids and having little financial flexibility :deadbanana2:

A fair amount of musicians that tour are probably worse off financially than your average worker. Lots of them are flushing down money down the toilets singing to less than half empty venues, god forbid things like logistic issues, weather, political events and the sudden illness.

ariananext

Yes, the reason why Justin was exhausted from tour is his touring schedule being ****, Purpose tour was:

65 dates in North America 

2 dates in Japan

21 dates in Europe 

4 dates in Mexico 

5 dates in Australia/NZ

11 dates in Latin America

3 dates in Asia

2 dates in South Africa

--------

again

11 dates in Europe

14 dates in USA (cancelled)

total: 1 year and a half / 162 shows

same thing for Ariana, her touring schedule is dumb, a billion dates in the USA (double leg) and no dates in some of her biggest markets.. with a well-planned schedule they could tour without getting to the point of hating it.

UnusualBoy

It will but it will probably take awhile, we need to see how long the effect of the vaccines last and all that but everything will go back to normal eventually.

alfonso12

There will be more demand than ever when things go back to normal so yes.

2 hours ago, Gui Blackout said:

All of this. Some artists (the ones that are really passionate about their music) are dying to perform live the songs they've released during the pandemic so yeah.

53 minutes ago, ariananext said:

Yes, the reason why Justin was exhausted from tour is his touring schedule being ****, Purpose tour was:

65 dates in North America 

2 dates in Japan

21 dates in Europe 

4 dates in Mexico 

5 dates in Australia/NZ

11 dates in Latin America

3 dates in Asia

2 dates in South Africa

--------

again

11 dates in Europe

14 dates in USA (cancelled)

total: 1 year and a half / 162 shows

same thing for Ariana, her touring schedule is dumb, a billion dates in the USA (double leg) and no dates in some of her biggest markets.. with a well-planned schedule they could tour without getting to the point of hating it.

Its easier to move your stuff within the USA, i dont blame her and USA is still where most of her bottom line is

Edited by Enoch