Killers' Mr. Brightside spends 5 years on UK Top 100

Hector

Mr Brightside by The Killers continues to prove the chart hit that can’t be kept down. This week the track logs a record-breaking 260th non-consecutive week – or a full five years - on the Official UK Singles Chart Top 100.

No song in UK chart history has notched up anywhere near as many weeks in the Top 100 - the closest is Snow Patrol’s 2006 Top 10 hit Chasing Cars, at 166 weeks.

Mr Brightside has become the stuff of legend on the Official Chart. The indie-pop anthem spent just four weeks in the Top 100 upon its original 2004 release, peaking at Number 10. The years since have seen it become a staple at many a party or club night, helping it rack up lots of streams and downloads every week.

In December 2018 Mr Brightside reached a landmark 1 million pure sales (downloads and CD sales), while its streaming tally currently stands at 281 million UK plays, making it the most-streamed song of any track released before 2010. Its total UK chart sales is a whopping 3.52 million.

The power of Mr Brightside shows no signs of slowing down yet. Despite the country being in lockdown for most of the past year, the song has been streamed 65.2 million times in the last 12 months – that’s an average of 1.2 million plays a week.

And in 2021 alone, Mr Brightside has spent 11 of the first 12 weeks of the year inside the Top 100, placing at Number 78 in the latest Top 100 – not bad for a song that was released 17 years ago.

The longest running songs on the Official Singles Chart Top 100

TITLE

ARTIST

PEAK

YEAR FIRST CHARTED

WEEKS IN TOP 100

MR BRIGHTSIDE

THE KILLERS

CHASING CARS

SNOW PATROL

PERFECT

ED SHEERAN

MY WAY

FRANK SINATRA

SEX ON FIRE

KINGS OF LEON

THINKING OUT LOUD

ED SHEERAN

CHANDELIER

SIA

SOMEONE YOU LOVED

LEWIS CAPALDI

I GOTTA FEELING

BLACK EYED PEAS

RADIOACTIVE

IMAGINE DRAGONS

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/the-killers-mr-brightside-claims-record-breaking-260th-week-exactly-five-years-on-the-official-singles-chart-top-100__32800/

A cultural reset :jonny6:

Edited by Hector

The song is garbage I don’t know why straight people go wild for it on nights out in the UK

Yep, it's a classic :clap3:

Being able to recite the lyrics should be part of the citizenship test.

heard this song at least twice a week at work and i am from america.

26 minutes ago, Smithy said:

The song is garbage I don’t know why straight people go wild for it on nights out in the UK

straight ppl in clubs think this song is the best ****ing thing since sliced bread :deadbanana:im almost certain that most ppl don’t actually like it and they only go wild for it out of fear that they’ll look weird if they don’t :rip: 

I love the song, it brings back memories from 2005 or so.

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

This :cm:

3 hours ago, Kavish said:

LMAO at ATRL and their pop girl bubbles. :zzz: 

This. The audacity to say the song is garbage. :bibliahh:

Basically what a classic was meant to do, no surprise, amazing cultural reset, phew. Not everyone can do that.

ATRL g**s seething at genuine and real classics, we love to see it.

OT: KINGS :jonny2:

To think that even the new streaming rules couldn't stop it from charting, legendary

• 4 weeks later...

This song is legendary, truly a masterpiece :celestial5:

I love it when some users brag about being ignorant about music 

Like you're in a music forum 

On 4/1/2021 at 6:33 AM, Smithy said:

Don’t you stan GaGa? Lol

@OP truly a classic

11 hours ago, VOSS said:

Don’t you stan GaGa? Lol

@OP truly a classic

:bibliahh:

OT: A modern day classic, still bopping till this day (I'm from Mexico) :WAP:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.