"I Wanna Dance With Somebody" Hits 600 Million streams

GreatestLoveofAll

I predicted it would happen by the summer but it gained faster than I thought in the last few months! Below is an article from Billboard celebrating its 30th anniversary and breaking down why it is such a legendary song. 

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/7778738/whitney-houston-i-wanna-dance-with-somebody-greatest-song-all-time

One of my fav songs of all-time - the fact that it has 600M+ streams for a song from the 1980s is INSANE and just shows how much cultural impact it has :jonny5:

The most remembered hit by a solo female artist of the 80s. A universal classic.:clap3:

The biggest 80s female song. :clap3:

It still surprises me to this day how it overtook IWALY.

This is insane for a song from the 80’s :deadbanana2:

Easily one of the biggest classics of all time 

1 hour ago, materialboy said:

The biggest 80s female song. :clap3:

It still surprises me to this day how it overtook IWALY.

I Will Always Love You is much bigger on YouTube 

3 hours ago, GreatestLoveofAll said:

I predicted it would happen by the summer but it gained faster than I thought in the last few months! Below is an article from Billboard celebrating its 30th anniversary and breaking down why it is such a legendary song. 

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/7778738/whitney-houston-i-wanna-dance-with-somebody-greatest-song-all-time

Dance was #1 on Radio & Records (predecessor to Mediabase) based all on airplay & was about the only 1987 song to go Gold (1 million until 1989). But in Billboard it finished 4th 1987 YE. Walk Like An Egyptian - Bangles was #1 & Alone - Heart was #2. I forgot #3.

Legendary :clap3: 

It was also used on the show Pose. 

9 hours ago, brianc33710 said:

Dance was #1 on Radio & Records (predecessor to Mediabase) based all on airplay & was about the only 1987 song to go Gold (1 million until 1989). But in Billboard it finished 4th 1987 YE. Walk Like An Egyptian - Bangles was #1 & Alone - Heart was #2. I forgot #3.

Did BB compile the YEC based on sales at the time or chart runs also?

If the latter...

What was the chart run for “Walk Like An Egyptian” and “Alone” for the them to finish at #1 and #2?

I’m surprised that “IWDWS” finished at #4. It must’ve been huge despite only being #1 for two weeks and her quickly moving on to the second single.

7 hours ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Did BB compile the YEC based on sales at the time or chart runs also?

If the latter...

What was the chart run for “Walk Like An Egyptian” and “Alone” for the them to finish at #1 and #2?

I’m surprised that “IWDWS” finished at #4. It must’ve been huge despite only being #1 for two weeks and her quickly moving on to the second single.

16 hours ago, brianc33710 said:

It had one more week in the top then all of the top three but all  but SYD had longer stays at #1. Walk Like an Egyptian had four weeks and Heart did three weeks. I'm guessing "Shake You Down" which was #3 had more longevity on the Hot 100 in their initial chart runs.

A Classic! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.