Adele's 21 US stats: 16.21M units, 2.63B streams, 26M songs

Hector

Adele

One decade removed from its release, the numbers that capture 21’s success remain staggering. Here are 10 of the figures that showcase the cultural juggernaut of Adele’s second album following its U.S. release:

16.21 million: The equivalent album units in the U.S. that 21 has earned through Feb. 18, according to MRC Data. Of that sum, 12.08 million are in album sales.

2.63 billion: The number of U.S. on-demand streams that the album’s 11 songs have earned to date. Yup, that’s “billion” with a B!

26.16 million: The number of U.S. downloads sold of 21’s songs.

4.05 million: The number of plays that 21’s songs have earned to date on U.S. radio.

2: The number of years, 2011 and 2012, in which 21 was the top-selling album in the United States. The album was also the year-end No. 1 Billboard 200 album in both years -- making it the first album since Michael Jackson's Thriller in 1983-84 to finish as the No. 1 album on the year-end chart in consecutive years.

3: The number of Hot 100 No. 1 singles on the album: “Rolling In The Deep,” “Someone Like You” and “Set Fire To The Rain.” ("Rumour Has It," the album's fourth U.S. single, peaked at No. 16.)

14: Total number of weeks that those songs sat atop the Hot 100 chart ("Rolling In the Deep" was No. 1 for seven weeks; "Someone Like You" was No. 1 for five weeks; and “Set Fire to the Rain" was No. 1 for two weeks).

6: The number of Grammy Awards that Adele won for the album in 2012: album of the year and best pop vocal album for 21; record of the year, song of the year and best short form music video for “Rolling in the Deep”; and best pop solo performance for “Someone Like You.” In addition, Paul Epworth, who produced “Rolling in the Deep,” won the producer of the year, non-classical trophy. Adele won in every category in which she was nominated in 2012.

24: The number of weeks that 21 has spent at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart. It’s tied for the sixth-most weeks at No. 1 among all albums, and also has the most weeks at No. 1 among albums by women. Only the West Side Story soundtrack (54 weeks at No. 1), Michael Jackson’s Thriller (37 weeks), Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours (31 weeks), the South Pacific soundtrack (31 weeks) and Harry Belafonte’s Calypso (31 weeks) have spent more weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart, which began publishing on a regular weekly basis in 1956. Adele’s 21 is tied with Prince and the Revolution’s Purple Rain and the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack with 24 weeks in the top spot.

1: The number of albums released this century that have spent 20 or more weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart -- it’s only Adele’s 21. Whitney Houston’s The Bodyguard soundtrack was the last album to do so prior to 21, spending 20 weeks at No. 1 upon its 1992 release.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/9529369/adele-21-10th-anniversary-us-chart-stats#:~:text=Adele Can't Believe '21,songs have earned to date.

A groundbreaking and legendary era. I'm not sure we'll ever see eras like 21 and 25 ever again! 21 needs to be certified 16x Platinum soon :jonny5: 

I think no other female album has reached those units according to Nielsen? Overall I can only think of Metallica.

6 minutes ago, Feanor said:

:jonny5:

It'll go down as the biggest female album of all time eventually

How is it not already? 

6 minutes ago, Yog said:

How is it not already? 

Shania's Come On Over is still ahead, it's certified 20x Platinum.

But 21 will pass that in a few years

1 minute ago, Feanor said:

Oh I forgot about that iconic album, Adele will surpass ha! :rip:

An Brit girl having the biggest female album in the USA! :laugh:

Imagine selling 26m pure in songs off an album that’s already sold 12m pure :jonny5:

i wish they’d done a breakdown of the songs and what’s their SPS atm 

Wow. These sales are amazing. She deserves all her success. I listen to 21 and 25 every day, and love every single song. 

18 minutes ago, Cockney Cupcake said:

Imagine selling 26m pure in songs off an album that’s already sold 12m pure :jonny5:

i wish they’d done a breakdown of the songs and what’s their SPS atm 

Imagine if she’d actually pushed Rumour Has It :jonny5:

imagine if they gave us the singles breakdown :jonny5: 

selling 12m of your albums, while also selling 26m in singles and having your album strihmed almost 3B times in one country :gaygacat4:

it should be 7 grammys I believe. SFTTR won a grammy on the 2013's grammy right?

aah, apparently this is only for 2012's grammy

Edited by Cantique

She left my other faves in the dust ever since :deadbanana:

58 minutes ago, umich said:

Imagine if she promoted SFTTR a bit more she’d have 3 diamond singles off a diamond album :rip: 

Imagine if she milked it more overall...

1 hour ago, umich said:

Imagine if she’d actually pushed He Won’t Go?

:jonny5:

It’s sort of weird that they posted this out of nowhere. Is this a clue that she’s coming soon? 

So it's 16x platinum eligible

Shania's team already working on that 21x platinum cert for safe measure

yrvn2rP.gif

3 hours ago, Feanor said:

Are the numbers really up that high that it can "sell" that much in years???

59 minutes ago, Reputation6754 said:

It’s sort of weird that they posted this out of nowhere. Is this a clue that she’s coming soon? 

21 was released on Feb. 22, 2011 in the United States.

Actually the release dates for the album were quite different for many countries, starting with Japan on Jan 19, followed by Germany on Jan 21, Europe and Australia on Jan 24...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.