Sales: UP #1 34K, Blinding Lights #2 30K

Hector

3 hours ago, duybeeGAshantiGA said:

May I ask what are its chances of getting 10k physical sales? How much did WAP do physically in its debut week? Thanks!

For recent examples of high pure physical sales (not bundled physicals), Travis Scott sold 58K first-week cassettes and CDs with Franchise, and BTS did 35K first-week for Dynamite and 20K for Life Goes On. Those are probably the two biggest artists who can a lot of physical copies.

However, other big artists who did physicals recently was Ariana with 3K for Positions & Justin/Shawn did 2K with Monster. This is in contrary to Justin doing ~50K for Yummy and Ariana/Justin doing ~60K for Stuck with U with bundles.

It seems that pure physicals tend to produce way fewer copies sold than physical+digital bundles because of these reasons:

1) Manufacturing constraints: physicals need to be both manufactured and shipped to the customer during the tracking week. This means less of them can be in stock in the first place.

2) Appeal of the physical item: only CDs are being sold as physicals recently, instead of tons of signed versions including vinyls, CDs, and cassettes (I think vinyls are by far the most popular but can't be manufactured easily).

Despite WAP doing 60K from these physical+digital bundles, for historical reasons I think Up sold less than 5K CDs. It also did about 1/3 of WAP's DSP sales amount, which would translate to 20K bundles just by proportion, but adding in the above factors means it's difficult to sell over 10K. We predicted 3K but it's possible it did closer to 10K, allowing it to sneak in at #1. Physicals are just really hard to predict because the variance is so high.

4 minutes ago, Talk of the Charts said:

For recent examples of high pure physical sales (not bundled physicals), Travis Scott sold 58K first-week cassettes and CDs with Franchise, and BTS did 35K first-week for Dynamite and 20K for Life Goes On. Those are probably the two biggest artists who can a lot of physical copies.

However, other big artists who did physicals recently was Ariana with 3K for Positions & Justin/Shawn did 2K with Monster. This is in contrary to Justin doing ~50K for Yummy and Ariana/Justin doing ~60K for Stuck with U with bundles.

It seems that pure physicals tend to produce way fewer copies sold than physical+digital bundles because of these reasons:

1) Manufacturing constraints: physicals need to be both manufactured and shipped to the customer during the tracking week. This means less of them can be in stock in the first place.

2) Appeal of the physical item: only CDs are being sold as physicals recently, instead of tons of signed versions including vinyls, CDs, and cassettes (I think vinyls are by far the most popular but can't be manufactured easily).

Despite WAP doing 60K from these physical+digital bundles, for historical reasons I think Up sold less than 5K CDs. It also did about 1/3 of WAP's DSP sales amount, which would translate to 20K bundles just by proportion, but adding in the above factors means it's difficult to sell over 10K. We predicted 3K but it's possible it did closer to 10K, allowing it to sneak in at #1. Physicals are just really hard to predict because the variance is so high.

Thank you so much. What an informative post :clap3:I still have hope for UP! Also Im wondering why Cardi and team didnt do a physical + bundle for Up like WAP.

Edited by duybeeGAshantiGA

17 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

mmm...this thread is about sales. off the top of my head starships' 200k>34k?

Starships is an 100% pop song, for it to be biggest “female rapper week” the song would have to be RAP. Also, comparing the sales of a song from 2012 to one that’s a week old? I’m sure UPs combined points will blow n*ck* out of the water.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.