Billboard spotlights iconic black artists in honor of BHM

onewillowsilk

2 minutes ago, lepetitmonstr said:

The amount of TALENT and black excellence in just those tweets :WAP: 

Between only 5 of them, they own a large handful of Billboard's all-time records :jonny5:

The ALL TIME GREATS! :WAP:

they could've actually highlighted lesser known black artists that woulda been really cool and actually done something. we be streaming all of these already.

1 minute ago, selena_lavigne said:

they could've actually highlighted lesser known black artists that woulda been really cool and actually done something. we be streaming all of these already.

These are the acts who have broken/set numerous records on Billboard's charts. That's why they were highlighted and some of their records were listed. 

1 minute ago, onewillowsilk said:

These are the acts who have broken/set numerous records on Billboard's charts. That's why they were highlighted and some of their records were listed. 

Drake's streak is really impressive woof. i wonder how long the gap was in 2017.

they all have some great achievements.

Edited by selena_lavigne

Where is THE Diana Ross?

Where is Beyonce???????

45 minutes ago, lepetitmonstr said:

The amount of TALENT and black excellence in just those tweets :WAP: 

This!

42 minutes ago, onewillowsilk said:

Between only 5 of them, they own a large handful of Billboard's all-time records :jonny5:

And this! 

I’m so proud to be Black. Our culture has brought so much talented artists and flavor to the industry! :heart:

3 hours ago, selena_lavigne said:

Drake's streak is really impressive woof. i wonder how long the gap was in 2017.

they all have some great achievements.

May 23, 2009: Best I Ever Had debuts on the Hot 100 on the chart dated May 23, 2009. It marks Drake's first entry on the Hot 100. 

Aug. 19, 2017: Passionfruit & Signs depart from the Hot 100 on the chart dated Aug. 19, 2017 marking an end to a 431-week streak of having at least 1 song charting on the Hot 100.

Feb. 3, 2018: God's Plan and Diplomatic Immunity debut at #1 and #7 respectively on the chart dated Feb 3. 2018, marking the beginning of an on-going 156-week streak of having at least 1 song charting on the Hot 100. 

Since the chart dated May 23, 2009, Drake has only spent 23 weeks not charting at least 1 song on the Hot 100. He has spent a total of 587 weeks charting on the Hot 100. The longest amount of time any single artist has spent charting on the Hot 100. 

Most consecutive weeks charting on the Hot 100

431 – Drake (2009-2017)

326 – Lil Wayne

216 – Rihanna

207 – Nicki Minaj

198 - Post Malone

166 - Future

161 - Chris Brown 

159 - JAY-Z

156 - Drake (2018-date)

152 - Nelly

150 - Justin Bieber

Edited by onewillowsilk

3 hours ago, idkwiam said:

Where is THE Diana Ross?

2 hours ago, whitneyhoustonlegend said:

Where is Beyonce???????

We have many black artists who have defined pop culture, released iconic songs and albums and broken/set numerous chart records but I can understand Billboard only picking a few to highlight. If I were them, I'd post an article detailing every black artist who has seen success on their charts while listing some of their chart achievements. 

Whitney having 7 consecutive #1 hits is just unbelievable. The power she had. :deadbanana2:

Michael & Janet Jackson. :clap3:

It's so sad that the GP and media abandoned Jackson Jackson since early 2000's. Like she wasn't important or known at all (which is not true of course, she's one of the biggest female artists ever).

I don't believe the Superbowl was the only thing that made her look that way, her team never tried to shove her music into the new generation, streaming era etc. She always was the last girl from her generation that did something and I truly believe that influenced her legacy. A dated, lazy team. And maybe Janet herself a little bit...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.