Daily January Spotify Streams for Pre-2000 Females

Both Sides Now

After a recent rousing discussion, I was curious to know how some of ATRL's most beloved pre-2000s females fare on Spotify in January 2021. We often get daily totals for Ariana, Dua, Gaga etc. so I wanted to share how the older gals are doing :party:

This is a beta thread based on just one day of tracking for 6 of the biggest female artists of the 90s. Obviously I'm missing many huge artists who debuted pre-00s like Shakira - unfortunately the tool I used had a limit of number of uses/per day. If people are interested, I can do a more complete analysis with more artists in the future - just let me know who I missed!

Obviously this is just one measure of success today and there are plenty more out there! Let's keep it fun and light-hearted :party:

Daily Totals for Wednesday 20th January

1. Britney Spears - 3,255,973 streams
2. Christina Aguilera
2,649,867 streams

3. Whitney Houston 2,310,849 streams

4. Mariah Carey 2,268,228 -streams

5. Madonna 2,118,485 streams 

6. Celine Dion 1,624,473 streams

Lifetime Totals on Thursday 21st January

1. Britney Spears 4,747,982,059 streams
2. Christina Aguilera
4,493,154,100 streams

3. Mariah Carey 4,423,095,272 streams

4. Madonna 3,215,317,808 streams 

5. Whitney Houston3,091,162,488 streams

6. Celine Dion 2,571,932,881 streams

Some of my notes:

• Christina's smash collabs of the 10s (Say Something, Feel This Moment and Moves Like Jagger) account for 932,866 of her daily streams (35%) - massive recurrent stats!
  • Mariah's famed hit "All I Want For Christmas For You" only brought in 97,581 streams yesterday! Not surprising considering it's January :wink:
  • Whitney's recent hit "Higher Love" has given her discography a great boost recently. Only a legendary vocalist could rack up 500M+ streams with vocals from a 90s outtake :deadbanana4:
  • Celine, although lowest, has the biggest recent streaming hit after Whitney with Ashes - 85,795,343 streams. Her lower total is not surprising considering she has a more adult audience who might not stream as much. Her sales are still :flame:

Any surprises? I'm personally surprised Mariah is still racking up those streams in January! Also, Britney is still bringing in the streams :clap3:

PS: Mods, first posting, please move if I'm in the wrong section :heart:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Anticipating

• Both Sides Now

• Alexz

• lovemehateme

I'm surprised by Christina's streams, I thought she'd have much less! :soda:Well done to all, though!

1 minute ago, KillingYourCareer said:

I'm surprised by Christina's streams, I thought she'd have much less! :soda:Well done to all, though!

Yes, Say Something especially is a streaming monster. The GP love her ballads, we need more :clap3:

but i was told that christina is a flop nowadays :ryan2:

britney's streams are insane lmao. they're all doing great btw :clap3:

Christina’s numbers are impressive as hell. :eek:

Edit : what about P!nk and Shakira.

Edited by BnPac

Can you do Enya, please

Britney being #1 despite no new album since 2016 and her last original single being in 2016 :clap3: 

Well deserved for all the girls, you should add Destiny's Child, Jessica Simpson, Jennifer Lopez, etc etc

Great thread!

38 minutes ago, rihannabiggestfan said:

Can you do Enya, please

35 minutes ago, Xtripped said:

Well deserved for all the girls, you should add Destiny's Child, Jessica Simpson, Jennifer Lopez, etc etc

Great thread!

1 hour ago, BnPac said:

Christina’s numbers are impressive as hell. :eek:

Edit : what about P!nk and Shakira.

Thanks for the feedback :alexz3:

I’ll do a full week’s tracking on all these + more next

Can you please tag me when you add Shakira? I'm curious but I'm really bad at keeping track of atrl ? 

2 hours ago, Both Sides Now said:
  • Christina's smash collabs of the 10s (Say Something, Feel This Moment and Moves Like Jagger) account for 932,866 of her daily streams (35%) - massive recurrent stats!
  •  

So not even 2 million solo? YIKES :rip:

OT: Britney slaying :clap3:

3 hours ago, Both Sides Now said:

:rip:

Does Scream & Shout, S&M and Tom’s Diner count for Britney’s total?

13 minutes ago, Alexz said:

Does Scream & Shout, S&M and Tom’s Diner count for Britney’s total?

Yes, any song she’s featured on is counted. I’d say only S&S would be a big recurrent hit though - it’s her second most streamed song while the other two aren’t even in her top 30. 

2 minutes ago, Both Sides Now said:

Yes, any song she’s featured on is counted. I’d say only S&S would be a big recurrent hit though - it’s her second most streamed song while the other two aren’t even in her top 30. 

Yes, I was just asking if they count, thank you!

Isn't Mariah a streaming force though?

Her and Madonna have the same amount of streams with 2 million each.

:eek:

Explain please.

57 minutes ago, C.Damen said:

Explain please.

Mariah only exists in December.

13 minutes ago, C.Damen said:

Beyonce is not in the top 25 of Artists with the most top 10 hits in the UK  Charts | Lipstick Alley

But I love her. I used to hate Whitney but I like her now too.

1 hour ago, C.Damen said:

Explain please.

21 minutes ago, Alexz said:

Mariah only exists in December.

Oh god please make it stop. Like the other topic wasn't enough :deadbanana2:

Is this WW? That would explain Madonna ahead of her. Probably.

3 hours ago, tiagol88 said:

Oh god please make it stop. Like the other topic wasn't enough :deadbanana2:

Is this WW? That would explain Madonna ahead of her. Probably.

It is ww.

It's also worth noting that if AIWFCIY (all versions) is still gaining +100k per day it's safe to assume that the rest of Xmas catalog adds at least another 50k-100k and that puts her below Madonna. But let's wait for few more weeks to see if that really happens...

So this ATRL narrative can pretty much end in this thread.

Also most of Mariah's streams are from US and she does outstream Madonna there (she is also present in 90s and 00s playlists), while Madonna's numbers are mostly from the rest of the world. 

Btw @Both Sides Now if you are using MJD tool there will be bugs on the way... I used to do this last year and honestly every other day there was a bug and random +/-500k.

Whitney's power is mostly coming from IWDWS that is playlisted as hell last few years. 

5 hours ago, C.Damen said:

Explain please.

Isn't it your opinion that Mariah Carey is completely unknown and a laughing stock in the eyes of the GP... an embarrassment even and a fad?

How on earth would she still get 2,2 million daily streams and therefore be ahead of Madonna who is the biggest female artist ever and cherished, beloved and revered to this very day with REAL classics... a multitude of them which get airplay and digital sales and have impacted the globe like no other act's singles have. 

Wouldn't you say that in that respect, Mariah should be below 1 million daily streams... or even below 500,000? Are her streams manipulated to create the notion that Mariah is still somewhat known by anyone who is not mentally impaired enough to voluntarily listen or even knowing her?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.