drivers license breaks Drake's all-time record in US Spotify

TayDine1989

35 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

i love how atrl whitewashes everything and everyone to the point of identity erasure

Sorry you’re so upset, but let’s not act like it doesn’t factor in in the USA. I’m not going to try to argue with you about the whole “white passing” doesn’t equal white privilege thing. 

Google is free and I’m uninterested. 

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thuggin

• Cryptique

• onewillowsilk

• Kyoto

43 minutes ago, aesthetic bih said:

Best Part was a Big Hit in Philippines but yeah, I think most Filipinos aren't aware that H.E.R. is indeed one of us :biblio:

Oh wow now I remember Best Part. This song was everywhere back then. :rip: 

QueenofCopyPaste
1 hour ago, kwek_kwek said:

I was shock as well. Nnnn

Saweetie also is part Filipino

OT: 

Woahhhhh numbers

35 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

i love how atrl whitewashes everything and everyone to the point of identity erasure

Sorry you’re so upset, but let’s not act like it doesn’t factor in in the USA. I’m not going to try to argue with you about the whole “white passing” doesn’t equal white privilege thing. 

Google is free and I’m uninterested. 

48 minutes ago, Insanity said:

R we sure she's not using streaming farms?

BTS, the biggest streaming farm can't even do these numbers. You think a random Disney+ girl's streaming farm is that powerful? Lol. It's the GP sis, she got the entire teen generation wrapped around with this song. 

chileee, I heard this song again and I still don't know how a melody or the lyrics of this song go :skull: but good for her, I hope she will serve good albums :clap3: her aesthetics are on point with the single cover and music video!

2 hours ago, itsjem said:

one for the history books for sure :jonny4: I mean, I'm just glad that a full on pop song, also female and solo, with actual good lyrics too, is smashing like this

Cringe

8 minutes ago, Pentas said:

Is she gonna be Billie's competition or just a one hit wonder

She should be worried, things are about to feel very different at the label

she's gonna be around for at least 2-3 eras y'all :dies: the song is doing well because it's HER that's singing it - it's not one of those cases where the song is bigger than the artist as it is with most one hit wonders. people are invested and interested in Olivia Rodrigo's story otherwise it would've just been another faceless hit (or not even a hit at all) similarly to how only Ariana could pull off making thank u, next such a massive hit because of how personal and specific it is to her. 

1 hour ago, Fading said:

I used their names for the sake of exemplification, because we know there are many more.

Also, I'm just stablishing there were restraints in consumption from their main demographic and these restraints obviously have reflected in their charts performance. Miley was the biggest of them all because her show was a musical show. JoBros and Demi had some kind of leverage because they had two movies OST-driven. Selena's show had a small exposure of music. That range of exposure also reflected in their charts performances. Though what you can't deny is that in spite of didn't peaking high (even Miley struggled to get top 10s) they all sold millions in the long run.

What we will see from now on is this demographic getting more representation on the charts peak-wise, since they will have force to fuel a No. 1 hit something they didn't have. Is it a fair representation of consumption of a whole nation? I don't know.

I get what you said and I think it's a fair analysis. However, the same argument can also be used for sales.  K-pop stan (especially BTS) use  funds by oversea donation to distribute to a small group of fans here, encouraging them to mass buying the same song(of different versions)  20 times,  propelling the song to #1 while the streaming across all platforms is abysmal. Will that represent a fair consumption of a nation? I think no, but stans will argue it's still consumption and shall be reflected on BB Hot 100.

If anything, streaming weight shall be higher given people's music choice diversified much more than the past, so Olivia pulling these # definitely have a fair amount of GP push here.  It's better than mass buying given at least Spotify will filter streams and detect bots behavior. As for mass website D2C sales, you can't really monitor that well.  

Edited by zyysat

3 hours ago, Kiss It Better said:

OMG :jonny4:

this makes me wonder how much Adele would pull off if she releases today

Going off this girl’s numbers, I honestly think Adele’s lead could break 10M in the US on its first day :WAP:

Edited by luckythisway

1 hour ago, onewillowsilk said:

Exactly. Imagine Drake's first hit being God's Plan or Taylor Swift's first hit being Shake It Off. Hits like that come once, maybe twice in a career. Getting a hit that huge as your debut hit sets a really high bar for your future releases almost no one can match yet alone surpass. I love Lorde with all my heart but Pure Heroine is still her biggest album era and Royals is still her biggest hit and that happened when she was a teenager. She'll probably never be that big again. Same with Billie Eilish. While I don't think she is done, her getting an era as huge as or bigger than her debut era would be the luckiest of things. 

Happy for Olivia and all the success she's seeing with this song but the same ones using her to drag other established legends now will be the same ones dragging her if her next single flops. 

But not everybody is after recreating that kind of commercial success. Lorde takes 4 year breaks between albums, doesn't post on social media, and disappears to New Zealand in between eras. She's not actively trying to be a star on the same level as she was during Pure Heroine. In fact, this method is better for her longterm because she's only 23, can can continue releasing albums into her 40s and 50s that her cultivated fanbase will still continue to check for (like Bjork and Kate Bush). A lot of ATRL's faves will be hosting gameshows at that age. 

Funny how people were complaining this was taking streams away from Good Days when it's been increasing too :rip:

1 hour ago, faceclef said:

She should be worried, things are about to feel very different at the label

Interscope does nothing for Billie and they keep ****ing up her releases :rip: Artists at Interscope smash because of them and not because of the label. Just ask Selena and Gaga stans how much the label sucks.

1 hour ago, aliciavikanders said:

But not everybody is after recreating that kind of commercial success. Lorde takes 4 year breaks between albums, doesn't post on social media, and disappears to New Zealand in between eras. She's not actively trying to be a star on the same level as she was during Pure Heroine. In fact, this method is better for her longterm because she's only 23, can can continue releasing albums into her 40s and 50s that her cultivated fanbase will still continue to check for (like Bjork and Kate Bush). A lot of ATRL's faves will be hosting gameshows at that age. 

I know that. I only meant that she has peaked commercially. Melodrama is her best album and her influence in music is seen everyday. Her career and legacy are more than fine and she'll be here for a very long time. I know all of that. 

She’s clearly very white passing. I didn’t know she was asian until I saw someone post it on atrl. I doubt most people know. But thats not why she is smashing (it’s helping tho.) We cant take her talent away from her.

Insane that she stomped on Drake. We thought he was invincible :jonny5:

1 hour ago, Kyoto said:

Interscope does nothing for Billie and they keep ****ing up her releases :rip: Artists at Interscope smash because of them and not because of the label. Just ask Selena and Gaga stans how much the label sucks.

Speaking of... how come selena and billie always release on a wendesday/thursday and olivia on a friday? That means the release day thing is their teams’ fault and not the label

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.