drivers license breaks Drake's all-time record in US Spotify

TayDine1989

1 minute ago, Fading said:

Yeah. The Disney trinity sold millions a decade ago based mainly on gift cards parents would give their kids.

Also, I just thought of something. It isn't the first time we're witnessing this kind of transition.

The Hilary Duff, Lindsay and Raven era was fueled by physical copies. They sold albums because parents would buy them for kids.

The Miley, Selena, Demi and JoBros era was fueled by digital sales. Kids' consumption still restrained because they didn't have a credit card to purchase online.

raven/lindsay didn't crack the album top 3 though.

demi didn't get a digital #1 until 2020. JoBros 2019.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thuggin

• Cryptique

• onewillowsilk

• Baby Judas

Drake owning  the entire top 5 before this :rip: 

15 minutes ago, Thuggin said:

i’m not setting her up, it’s really clear that her album is gonna be huge and she’s here to stay :rip: she’s the next main pop girl deal with it

You are clearly setting her up and the reason is so clear... 

8 minutes ago, onewillowsilk said:

I hope you keep the same energy if/when she drops a song/album that doesn't smash and she gets dragged. 

This. They will be the first to jump off the ship when she doesn't meet with these high expectations they own selves set in the first place. :dies:

I am ... Speechless. I mean we all know she's slaying hard but omg this is just a whole nother level of slayage :jonny2:

The song's bridge alone deserves the 13M streams. Congratulations, Olivia! 

A newcomer broke records with her debut song. The only debut song to debut in the Top 10, Top 5 and at No. 1 on BB Hot 100. Congratulations! 

1 hour ago, liam13 said:

Let's hope she's not gonna turn out to be another lil nas 

I mean the industry tried to blacklist him for being so gay and femme so not exactly the same as a nice sweet marketable white girl next door. Songs are really good. This is crazy. Cool to see

QueenofCopyPaste

GOODNESS GRACIOUS!

R we sure she's not using streaming farms?

4 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

raven/lindsay didn't crack the album top 3 though.

demi didn't get a digital #1 until 2020. JoBros 2019.

I used their names for the sake of exemplification, because we know there are many more.

Also, I'm just stablishing there were restraints in consumption from their main demographic and these restraints obviously have reflected in their charts performance. Miley was the biggest of them all because her show was a musical show. JoBros and Demi had some kind of leverage because they had two movies OST-driven. Selena's show had a small exposure of music. That range of exposure also reflected in their charts performances. Though what you can't deny is that in spite of didn't peaking high (even Miley struggled to get top 10s) they all sold millions in the long run.

What we will see from now on is this demographic getting more representation on the charts peak-wise, since they will have force to fuel a No. 1 hit something they didn't have. Is it a fair representation of consumption of a whole nation? I don't know.

11 minutes ago, Artistofthedecade said:

You are clearly setting her up and the reason is so clear... 

This. They will be the first to jump off the ship when she doesn't meet with these high expectations they own selves set in the first place. :dies:

why would i be scared of gays pushing 30, her next album is going to destroy seethe 

1 minute ago, KatyMyLady said:

I mean the industry tried to blacklist him for being so gay and femme so not exactly the same as a nice sweet marketable white girl next door. Songs are really good. This is crazy. Cool to see

Another Carly R. Jepsen? I mean good for her, I like to see Taylor stans win on daily basis :eli:

38 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Yeah... Cool.

Clearly my point went completely over your head.

:lmao:

This is what I find hilarious in itself. :lmao:

H.E.R has deep brown skin with naturally kinky/textured hair and is very Afro-centric in both her look and image...

Thus I’m not surprised that she wouldn’t be as supported nor acknowledged by most of her fellow south-east Asians in comparison to her White/Mixed counterpart whose features fall in line with your typical, light-skinned Filipino woman.

The fact that people didn’t even know H.E.R had a Filipino mother (and a Black Father), yet automatically claim Rodrigo as being Filipino despite having a White Mother is certainly interesting...but NOT shocking AT ALL!

Yes. She is. She’s spoken about it numerous times also. 

I’m also Black/Jamaican & Nigerian (Mother) and mixed South-East Asian/Malaysian (Father) and I’ve dealt with this sh*t my entire life so it’s not surprising to me at all. 

H.E.R is completely ignored by most of the Filipino community and for OBVIOUS reasons. I’ve seen many excuses that it’s because she sings “R&B/Hip Hop” music which is absolute bullsh*t.

The way they’re up in arms stanning this fair skinned, half-White Woman isn’t news to me. 

Best Part was a Big Hit in Philippines but yeah, I think most Filipinos aren't aware that H.E.R. is indeed one of us :biblio:

This is insane! Happy for her, the song is so good and she's so talented!

6 minutes ago, KatyMyLady said:

not exactly the same as a nice sweet marketable white girl next door. Songs are really good. This is crazy. Cool to see

i love how atrl whitewashes everything and everyone to the point of identity erasure

34 minutes ago, Thuggin said:

i’m not setting her up, it’s really clear that her album is gonna be huge and she’s here to stay :rip: she’s the next main pop girl deal with it

How is it clear? Its only been a few days she's on a new artist, word of mouth high right now but will need to keep momentum with upcoming singles. You can think she's gonna be huge based off one song.

What am I missing? The song is extremely basic and she’s cute but nothing special :huh:

1 hour ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Rodrigo’s Mother is Irish/German; her Father is Filipino. HER’s Mother is Filipino and her Father is Black, but I don’t see people calling her Filipino. 

Oh wow I didn't know HER was Filipino. Very cool 

33 minutes ago, Margaux said:

eek. it’s kinda problematic dragging a 17 years old girl. but you do you. 

eh this didn't stop ATRL back in 2019 when Billie was underage.

17 minutes ago, Kyoto said:

Oops.

:foxaylove2:

28 minutes ago, Insanity said:

How is it clear? Its only been a few days she's on a new artist, word of mouth high right now but will need to keep momentum with upcoming singles. You can think she's gonna be huge based off one song.

i can and will :biggrin: 

44 minutes ago, Artistofthedecade said:

Exactly. Imagine Drake's first hit being God's Plan or Taylor Swift's first hit being Shake It Off. Hits like that come once, maybe twice in a career. Getting a hit that huge as your debut hit sets a really high bar for your future releases almost no one can match yet alone surpass. I love Lorde with all my heart but Pure Heroine is still her biggest album era and Royals is still her biggest hit and that happened when she was a teenager. She'll probably never be that big again. Same with Billie Eilish. While I don't think she is done, her getting an era as huge as or bigger than her debut era would be the luckiest of things. 

Happy for Olivia and all the success she's seeing with this song but the same ones using her to drag other established legends now will be the same ones dragging her if her next single flops. 

26 minutes ago, Kyoto said:

Oop :gaycat5:

1 hour ago, Fading said:

I wonder if this isn't the time for Billboard to truly realign the weight of streaming again. This song truly deserves a No. 1 this week but I don't think the points it will have represent the real level of consumption, especially compared to other big songs out right now.

Also, this opens a new necessary lane for artists and labels: captivate kids from 8 to 13 years old.

Yeah, they need to add more weight on streaming. Ffs it's 2021, the only relevant way of consuming music is via streaming. It's about time to ditch sales which artists just abused for a #1 debut.. :rip: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.