drivers license breaks Drake's all-time record in US Spotify

TayDine1989

14 minutes ago, Thuggin said:

you’re comparing her to obvious one hit wonders :rip: she’s literally getting exposure because of the story, not because her hook was catchy like those other songs. her album will be HUGE

You people don't even know how you're setting her up for failure with saying she's a MPG and an icon off of ONE single. No one wishes that she ends up being a fluke but many artists have a particular song that's smashed like crazy only for them to not be able to recreate a hit that big or anything close to it ever again (examples: Royals, Call Me Maybe, All About That Bass) and it's usually not good when any artist scores a hit this huge at the start of their careers because it's almost always impossible to recreate but according to you people all her songs henceforth will smash just like this one and her album will smash too. I guess time will tell. 

Edited by onewillowsilk

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thuggin

• Cryptique

• onewillowsilk

• Baby Judas

1 minute ago, Before the Dawn said:

I'm gonna guess you're setting her up because she's competition for Ariana.

i already think her next era will be bigger than any ariana era, also i’m not setting her up i literally stan :rip: i’m just confident in her abilities after this. people said the same thing about billie before she even had a top 10 when i threaded that she was the next main pop girl

enough with the off topic race baiting, or some of you will not be here to join the party when the hot100 announcement happens! 

1 minute ago, onewillowsilk said:

You people don't even know how you're setting her up for failure with saying she's a MPG and an icon off of ONE single. No one wishes that she ends up being a fluke but many artists have a particular song that's smashed like crazy only for them to not be able to recreate a hit that big of anything close to it ever again (examples: Royals, Call Me Maybe, All About That Bass) and it's usually not good when any artist scores a hit this huge at the start of their careers because it's almost always impossible to recreate but according to you people all her songs henceforth will smash just like this one and her album will smash too. I guess time will tell. 

i’m not setting her up, it’s really clear that her album is gonna be huge and she’s here to stay :rip: she’s the next main pop girl deal with it

2 minutes ago, karl said:

Rockstar with Dababy was just as big.

It wasn't. Didn't spend as many weeks at #1 and wasn't streamed nearly as much. It also wasn't his own hit. He was featured on that song. 

3 minutes ago, Fading said:

I wonder if streaming was a huge thing in 2009-2010 the slayage Miley, Selena, Demi and JoBros would've done at the Hot 100.

Back then they barely could peak inside the top 10 because of lack of radio support, even tho they had big numbers in pure sales.

Definitely, kids are the main force behind mass streaming. They can't possibly do the same back then since

A) They don't have a credit card

B) They don't have money

The fact that JoBros managed to debut in the top 5 and Bieber debuted at #2 back in the day tho

2 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Yeah... Cool.

Clearly my point went completely over your head.

:lmao:

This is what I find hilarious in itself. :lmao:

H.E.R has deep brown skin with naturally kinky/textured hair and is very Afro-centric in both her look and image...

Thus I’m not surprised that she wouldn’t be as supported nor acknowledged by most of her fellow south-east Asians in comparison to her White/Mixed counterpart whose features fall in line with your typical, light-skinned Filipino woman.

The fact that people didn’t even know H.E.R had a Filipino mother (and a Black Father), yet automatically claim Rodrigo as being Filipino despite having a White Mother is certainly interesting...but NOT shocking AT ALL!

Yes. She is. She’s spoken about it numerous times also. 

I’m also Black/Jamaican & Nigerian (Mother) and mixed South-East Asian/Malaysian (Father) and I’ve dealt with this sh*t my entire life so it’s not surprising to me at all. 

H.E.R is completely ignored by most of the Filipino community and for OBVIOUS reasons. I’ve seen wool wise excuses that it’s because she sings R&B music which is absolute bullsh*t.

The way they’re up in arms stanning this fair skinned, half-White Woman isn’t news to me. 

ia. filipinos tend to be ignorant and borderline racist but tbf alot of filipinos esp. gen z are much more woke and people do get called out here for doing blackface and other racist things. HER isn’t that much known here. i only know HER, when she joined saweetie eat out on a filipino restaurant. plus filipinos might not know her that well but she gained some media coverage for her grammy noms. 

Just now, Michael196 said:

enough with the off topic race baiting, or some of you will not be here to join the party when the hot100 announcement happens! 

Not you calling it “race baiting” because it’s a conversation that you’re either uncomfortable with or don’t want to have to see/read.

Too bad.

Certain points were made and they’ll be spoken on.

:rip:

Just now, onewillowsilk said:

It wasn't. Didn't spend as many weeks at #1 and wasn't streamed nearly as much. It also wasn't his own hit. He was featured on that song. 

Just because it didn't have the EXACT same numbers doesn't mean it wasn't a huge hit. The point is Roddy is definitely not a one hit wonder.

2 minutes ago, Thuggin said:

oh they definitely would, kids couldn’t purchase music as easily since they would have to take their parents money. now a days you have a family streaming plan and teens are way more likely to have an impact on the charts 

I wonder if this isn't the time for Billboard to truly realign the weight of streaming again. This song truly deserves a No. 1 this week but I don't think the points it will have represent the real level of consumption, especially compared to other big songs out right now.

Also, this opens a new necessary lane for artists and labels: captivate kids from 8 to 13 years old.

4 minutes ago, Michael196 said:

Just now, Fading said:

I wonder if this isn't the time for Billboard to truly realign the weight of streaming again. This song truly deserves a No. 1 this week but I don't think the points it will have represent the real level of consumption, especially compared to other big songs out right now.

Also, this opens a new necessary lane for artists and labels: captivate kids from 8 to 13 years old.

lol please, if anything streaming should be weighed more :bibliahh: especially with 284838842 remixes of one song tactic certain artists love doing

Olivia's 5th day US is about as much as Anyone's first week.

Looks like if days 6 and 7 replicate even day 4, the song would break the weekly US record (Drake with 30.7 mil, followed by Drake with 28.7 mil).
And that's with an "only" 1 mil first day.

2 minutes ago, Thuggin said:

lol please, if anything streaming should be weighed more :bibliahh: especially with 284838842 remixes of one song tactic certain artists love doing

you mean 3, with no feature just instrumental changes? rain on me was a collab with multiple remixes too; that's actually common; it's just most of the time people don't buy remixes.

but maybe your math skills aren't the best. for example, so far positions the album has sold around 100k copies in the US. 

Edited by fridayteenage

6 minutes ago, Thuggin said:

i’m not setting her up, it’s really clear that her album is gonna be huge and she’s here to stay :rip: she’s the next main pop girl deal with it

I hope you keep the same energy if/when she drops a song/album that doesn't smash and she gets dragged. 

She's coming for everybody's record :jonny: Holy sh*t!

1 minute ago, onewillowsilk said:

I hope you keep the same energy if/when she drops a song/album that doesn't smash and she gets dragged. 

eek. it’s kinda problematic dragging a 17 years old girl. but you do you. 

3 minutes ago, onewillowsilk said:

and i cant wait to tell you i told you so when she doesn’t 

4 minutes ago, karl said:

Just because it didn't have the EXACT same numbers doesn't mean it wasn't a huge hit. The point is Roddy is definitely not a one hit wonder.

Who said he was? I said he hasn't made a hit as big as that yet and listed other examples of the same. Ballin', High Fashion and Rockstar are all hits and prove that he isn't a one-hit wonder. I also don't think Travis is a one-hit wonder simply because he hasn't made another hit as big as Sicko Mode. I just gave examples of artists to make a hit that's so huge that they can't make another hit as big as it in the future. 

4 minutes ago, Sept said:

Definitely, kids are the main force behind mass streaming. They can't possibly do the same back then since

A) They don't have a credit card

B) They don't have money

The fact that JoBros managed to debut in the top 5 and Bieber debuted at #2 back in the day tho

Yeah. The Disney trinity sold millions a decade ago based mainly on gift cards parents would give their kids.

Also, I just thought of something. It isn't the first time we're witnessing this kind of transition.

The Hilary Duff, Lindsay and Raven era was fueled by physical copies. They sold albums because parents would buy them for kids.

The Miley, Selena, Demi and JoBros era was fueled by digital sales. Kids' consumption still restrained because they didn't have a credit card to purchase online.

Now every kid has a smartphone and an account in a Spotify family plan. No restraints in consumption.

This is talking charts-wise. Because we know the big bucks for Disney was and still is attached to merchandise, touring and copyrights.

5 minutes ago, Fading said:

Umm no, people that young don’t need to be catered to by grown adults and should not be dictating the entire chart.

How ridiculous.

People are invested rn

Her other song (which is great too) from 2020 is doing numbers

1 minute ago, Margaux said:

eek. it’s kinda problematic dragging a 17 years old girl. but you do you. 

I never said I'd drag her, I'm saying other people on the site will. I'm not that invested in her to care enough to drag her. 

Just now, Thuggin said:

and i cant wait to tell you i told you so when she doesn’t 

Let's hope there are more smash hits on this level in her future :gaycat2:

1 minute ago, cruelhprince said:

People are invested rn

Her other song (which is great too) from 2020 is doing numbers

:jonny5:

i can smell a no.1 and a top5/10 smashing simultaneously :jonny2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.