Artists who debuted at #1 with debut single

Alejandro_

Lauryn Hill  was previously in The Fugees who had 2 singles chart on the Hot 100. they might have reached #1 if their biggest song Killing Me Softly was released as a single but was ineligible at that time.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alejandro_

• Lovett

• Chemical X.

• More Than A Melody

3 hours ago, duybeeGAshantiGA said:

This shows how impressive Driver license is. I mean 4 of those songs are from AI right after they won and it was their winning song that got performed at the victory night. Zayn left 1 Direction and released the song. It was the first solo song from any member so it was not super impressive. So that left only Olivia and Lauryn... Whew... Only 2 songs in history to organically debut at #1.

Lauryn only debuted at #1 because the charts back then didn’t allow airplay only songs to chart, the song was already big in airplay when the physical was released which is why it “debuted” at #1.

She also came from a successful group The Fugees which had a huge era before her debut. Olivia is truly a rare and odd case.

B b but Olivia has a #90 peaking song on Hot 100 before... :giraffe:

8 hours ago, CristianGarcia said:

I’ve seen this list so many times within the last few days, I think I have it memorized now 

A list of fads and has-beens

let’s hope Olivia has a better full career 

Just now, Alexz said:

A list of fads and has-beens

let’s hope Olivia has a better full career 

Excluding Carrie Underwood 

16 hours ago, Petty Bourgeoisie said:

Doesn’t she have other music 

she has a gold certified hot 100 hit All i want.

I'd get if she was a part of a group but she wrote the song and is the only one on the song.

Debut???

17 hours ago, TrieLz said:

B b but Olivia has a #90 peaking song on Hot 100 before... :giraffe:

A soundtrack song. This is her debut single. Kinda like Beyoncé, with "Work it Out" and "Crazy in Love".

On 1/13/2021 at 12:21 AM, Alejandro_ said:

I added both. I initially did not as they charted as part of a group but as it was their solo debuts, they were rightfully added.

Not sure. Billboard does not list either single as having debuted at #1. They debuted and then went #1 eventually.

Brittany debuted inside the T 20. Christina debuted in the 60s but jumped to #12 its second week. One big difference is that BOMT debuted just a week or 2 before BB allowed airplay-only tracks on the H 100, giving Baby an early start. By the time Genie hit the H 100, airplay points were enough/allowed to debut. 

Like first week or in general? CMM went #1. It wasn't her lead, but it was her first global lead single. She only released in Canada prior to that.

25 minutes ago, Raphy23 said:

Like first week or in general? CMM went #1. It wasn't her lead, but it was her first global lead single. She only released in Canada prior to that.

but did it debut at #1 the first week it charted? 

42 minutes ago, Chemical X. said:

but did it debut at #1 the first week it charted? 

That was my question. I wasnt sure if the OP was asking debut week or just debut single in general.

41 minutes ago, Raphy23 said:

That was my question. I wasnt sure if the OP was asking debut week or just debut single in general.

yeah this is about debut week not just debut singles 

That list is tragique. Poor Olivia

That list is tragique. Poor Olivia

Only Queen Carrie has had a good and succesfull career :deadbanana2:

Let's hope Olivia serves longevity and quality too 

On 1/13/2021 at 3:50 AM, Kimi said:

it “counts” but it doesn’t really mean anything special since he was a part of huge boyband and his going solo made headlines. 

It counts period. Only one other person to go solo from a successful group did it so... what does that tell you :deadbanana:

Edited by Bey_Rihstan

6 hours ago, LastKiss said:

Only Queen Carrie has had a good and succesfull career :deadbanana2:

Let's hope Olivia serves longevity and quality too 

Everyone here has had a good and successful career except Taylor Hicks :rip: 

Billboard are saying that "All I Want" is Olivia's first Hot 100 hit.

Olivia Rodrigo, who plays the lead female character Nina "Nini" Salazar-Roberts on High School Musical: The Musical - The Series, just notched her career-first Billboard Hot 100 hit. "All I Want" from the Disney+ series lands at No. 90 (chart dated Jan. 18).

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/lyrics/8548603/olivia-rodrigo-all-i-want-lyrics-high-school-musical

BPI are also saying that "All I Want" is her song and that it was certified silver in the UK in 2020.

https://www.bpi.co.uk/award/13315-5451-1

Edited by Letemtalk

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.