“Dated" The Fame album: 290K in 2020. Why?

perfillusion

Certain users bringing up Katy again, guess she really is the standard :celestial5:

ot: Cause it’s a good album and people miss when gaga was innovating :coffee2:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MrLovett

• perfillusion

• Katniss

• CruelSummer13

1 hour ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

Albums are not "forgotten" or "remembered". Hit songs can be though. Most people don't listen to album, especially nowadays which is why even when an artist debuts with 200k copies sold, it's considered impressive.

The Fame, coupled to The Fame Monster is Lady Gaga's best project for most people and her most famous one too. 

An album can be dated and sell. It can be trash and sell too (Not talking about TF). Selling all of this in 2020 is great though. It means that even if the album sounds old, people love to go back to Gaga's old music. The nostalgia effect is strong. Don't we all love The Fame and The Fame Monsters ? They might not be fresh but they're both great for a throwback. Found myself listening to Alejandro and Speechless the other day.

you wrote a whole essay yet said nothing....:deadbanana2:

BoyToySoldier
21 minutes ago, IAMDOM said:

TF is practically the Thriller of this gen so no I’m not surprised it loved almost 300K units more than a decade after it came out. 

:ahh: That’s “21” babe. 

16 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

It selling 290k copies doesn't mean it's not still dated. :rip: But I see that thread got under the Monsters' skin. :toofunny3:

literally multiple people in that thread is talking about "Umbrella streams" and then monster made similar claim, you are like "No, no it doesn't work like that" :isudumblmao:

15 minutes ago, Tremor Christ said:

That is thanks to digital sales :skull: Starstruck and whichever album track was popular in 2009 not 2020, the delusion

Digital sales success says WAY more than streaming success, people actually liked it enough to purchase instead of throwing pennies at it in streaming :clap:

7 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

:ahh: That’s “21” babe. 

Ehh, it doesn’t have the feel or touch to it like a Pop album does. Not taking away from her success but yeah NO ONE talks about how memorable or iconic or big the videos or performances were from that era. No one. 

MrLovett
9 minutes ago, zoldyck said:

literally multiple people in that thread is talking about "Umbrella streams" and then monster made similar claim, you are like "No, no it doesn't work like that" :isudumblmao:

I have no clue what you're rambling about. :rip: But it doesn't appear to dispute anything I said, so... thanks?

John Slayne

I feel like people call it dated only because it defined music of that era, so the album will forever be heavily associated with the time when it was released. The same reason lots of people call Madonna's 80s music 'dated'. When TF smashed in late 00s/early 10s, every pop artist and every label took notice and you can see its influence all over pop music from that time period. The downside of that impact is that the sound became corny quickly, as all trends do.  

2 minutes ago, John Slayne said:

I feel like people call it dated only because it defined music of that era, so the album will forever be heavily associated with the time when it was released. The same reason lots of people call Madonna's 80s music 'dated'. When TF smashed in late 00s/early 10s, every pop artist and every label took notice and you can see its influence all over pop music from that time period. The downside of that impact is that the sound became corny quickly, as all trends do.  

The same thing happened with "blinding lights" this year, but i bet atrl won't be calling it dated though. :dies:

6 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

I have no clue what you're rambling about. :rip: But it doesn't appear to dispute anything I said, so... thanks?

rambled about your internal bias towards Gaga/Monsters. But i can understand it hard to see so everything good... :flower: 

Beautiful Garbage
15 minutes ago, By the Water said:

It's dated not forgotten. 

Well, I agree with this. Unlike Kesha's discography which is both dated and forgotten (if we can compare another one who screams early 10s music and people dropped it like a bad habit after a year or two.)

• #FreeBritney Activist
Erreur2 La Nature
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, BawBaw said:

you wrote a whole essay yet said nothing....:deadbanana2:

I literally defended your fave with this "essay" made of a few sentences but when you're not used to reading, your brain can't treat basic informations. It needs training.

Edited by Erreur2 La Nature
3 minutes ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

I literally defended your fave with this "essay" made of a few sentences but when you're not used to reading, your brain can't treat basic informations. It needs training.

No you didn't and yes you literally said nothing :dies:

MrLovett
25 minutes ago, zoldyck said:

rambled about your internal bias towards Gaga/Monsters. But i can understand it hard to see so everything good... :flower: 

That and your comment was straight up nonsense, but go off. It doesn't change my opinion that The Fame is dated and it selling 290k doesn't change that. :coffee2: Stay mad, I guess?

Love Drought
2 hours ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

An album can be dated and sell.

/endthread. No further essays are needed :dies:

DoctorIce

It's a classic (the likes of which her peers aren't ever touching, which is why their fans jumped in this thread) because of its hits and general accessibility, but it still sucks.

It's largely a showcase for RedOne's lack of range and is riddled with vapid songs about self-aware superficiality = yawn. In a just world, Born This Way had this level of success.

Even Joanne is a more interesting album than The Fame and I'm deadly serious. :rip:

Edited by DoctorIce
perfillusion
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, infrared said:

But I keep hearing that dated = no one’s listening to it. that’s literally the main argument you’re (ogh) using it for. That’s what the OP is saying. 

Yep, it being dated is subjective, what is a FACT is that 12 years after its release it was still being listened to and consumed even more than brand new major albums and that means it withstood the test of time.

Fun fact: A Star Is Born also did over 500K in 2020 without the movie being on any major streaming platform like Netflix, Disney+, Hulu. From synth pop to house to rock ballads, the world listened to Gaga in 2020!!!  :) 

Edited by perfillusion